Older country stars feel slighted at Grand Ole Opry

Full story: The Associated Press

The Grand Ole Opry showcases old-time country music every week, but some older country stars complain they are being shuffled off the stage at the historic radio show.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated May 26, 2009
Modaddy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2007

"I never heard one person indicate in any way any expectation of a retirement benefit or a lifetime ticket to the stage, Havighurst said."

I wonder if this Craig Havighurst even bothered to ASK if the singers expected this ?
sheila and david heesch

West Linn, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2007

you've got to be kidding.. no more trips to the grand ole opry for us. Stonewall Jackson is a stalwart of country music. I hope everyone over 30 will boycott the.... we will start working on that8569
jerry and dee kelley

West Linn, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2007

how insulting... to think that gray hair is a problem for the grand ole opry... our friends have planned a trip to nashville, but no more... this is arrogant and insulting... it's the people who have "gray hair" who made the grand ole opry... it's not mtv
Trent Dickson

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2007

I'm a 24 year old man from Tx. and I hate what country music has become today. it was good when George Jones, Paycheck, hank williams and all them were playing. country isn't country anymore and it sucks. all these new-comers coming in, beating on there guitars, banging them against the floor and singing some bs rock and trying to mix with with Country, well them type of people should go to iraq. they would fit in just fine with the people over there. cause in my eyes, there not welcomed here.
mapadobbins

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

Singers like stonewall made the opry and country music is not country anymore we have no female singers in country anymore and only a couple of male,that is why i only listen to oldies radio stations or play my oldies cds.Go get them stonewall by the way i have gray hair.
ann Jones

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

Seems like Murder has not only been commited down on Music row but also at the Grand Ole (old) Opry as well. Seems like Mr. Fisher doesnt want to see any gray hairs on the stage or in the audience, The only color he is interested in is green, He needs to look again, at the entertainers that appear faithfully ever week, He will see lots of gray, Did tradition die with Ms. Minnie and Mr. Roy.
Geri Byrd

Jonesboro, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

I am very offended by the comment Mr. Peter Fisher made about not wanting to see grey hairs on the stage or in the audience. His comment will hurt the reputaion and revenue of the Opry. Such a comment would not have been made if Roy Acuff or Minnie Pearl were still alive. Did tradition die with them? I guess Vince Gill was right --It's A Young Man's Town !
ann Jones

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2007

Geri Byrd wrote:
I am very offended by the comment Mr. Peter Fisher made about not wanting to see grey hairs on the stage or in the audience. His comment will hurt the reputaion and revenue of the Opry. Such a comment would not have been made if Roy Acuff or Minnie Pearl were still alive. Did tradition die with them? I guess Vince Gill was right --It's A Young Man's Town !
Seems like we share the same thoughts about Minnie and Roy , Yes It does seem to be a "Young mans town" now a days, But People Like The Possum, Hag and Waymore will never be forgotten, because they are what made country Music, Makes you wonder now why Waylon, Willie and Hag never had much to do with Nashville ......now we know the rest of the story!! Give me MY VINYL anyday, along with my Rocking Chair!! Keep your Todays so called country!!!!
shirley palme r

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2007

there is no country music anymore.
alan jackson, george strait,is afew go singer,s. stonewall jackson, george jones, hank locklan, vermgosden any many older country music stars are left behind like our wounded vets are today. the new country singers must have paid the music company to get where they are today. pretty women good looking men thats all that mattere anymore.
the younger groups doesnt get a chance to hear good country music any more because they dont get to hear it. they have forced the real country music out and this is all they hear. i tune in to perior,il station and hear the old good country music. what would the people that was on top charts years ago that have died think of the way that coubtry music is today/
its down grading our old country music with almost all singers today. old good singers have been pushed aside to pave the way for the rap country music and i think its a shame.
if you would give us some good country music today,believe me they would turn the music we have today and say this is what you call country music. my hat goes off to stonewall for his courage to stand up to the grand ole opry.
stonewall jackson was one of the greatest singers they had,and was one of my favorite singers. we have all these protest going on everywhere.
they should protest right in front of the grand ole opery,and if they did i would be on the front of the line. thank you very much for standing up for you,re writes. you all up on the top with me still. you where loved by many and still are. once again thanksmr stonewall jackson and no matter what the grand ole opry says,you can hold you,re head high and say these tiny little people in nashville has no respect for country music today,or they would,nt be unsulting you for such petty outrages comments. you,res truly.
shirley palmer bloomington.

ps good job mr stonewall jackson. hand in there
Jo Shauer

Missoula, MT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

What an insult to the true country stars who have dedicated many hours to true country music. The stuff they now call country we do not want to listen to. Had planned on a trip to the opry this fall, but now plans have changed. We WANT the gray hair, and the REAL country music.
Tony Graziano

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2007

I'd sure like to see the great traditional country stars get together and form their own organization and show. I for one would travel across the country if I had to to see such performances. Perhaps they could just lease a train and travel around the USA. I want to see these stars as much as possible before they are all gone forever (me, too!). Getting old sure sucks. I, for one, will not attend the Grand Ole Opry anymore since the 'Ole' has changed.
idell rozier

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

Iam acountry fan at heart, but you all do not have countrystars like stonewall any more with out the old ones you can close the opry down , ithank the lord for my old records, on the awards what happend to the wilburns bro. from getting a award of any kind i have not seen them ever get anything .
Larry Tommerdah

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2007

I basically quit listening and playing any country music since the eighties.
It just seems like a rehash of seventies rock to me, and if that is what I want I will listen to that.

But, lets face it, the music industry never really did care much about the artist, just the almighty buck, and sell 10 songs to you with one or two good ones one a album, or cd, and rake in the money.

I have heard that many of the artists, probably never made a dime on their albums or cd's and lost all right to their songs, so that pretty much says it all.

Anyway, I do not know why they call it country music any more, it is not country music.
Ronnie Boettcher

Amherst, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2007

I have been a part of country, and bluegrass music since the late 50's. I do not do gigs anymore, but still remain a union musician. I will never try to play the new junk that they are shoving down our throats. I will never waste my time to go to the opry anymore. I am one of the bald, grey hair crowd. I still play music, and it is pure down to earth country and bluegrass. And when people listen to it, all I get is praise, for being true country. And yes I still carry on the tradition, and play "Wabash Cannon Ball". And the only newer song I play for a audience is "Murder on Music Row". I sing, and can play guitar, 5-string banjo, and pedal steel. NO NEW GARBAGE COUNTRY FOR ME.
gene watson

Wister, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

i dont know how to tell her [she dont love me anymore]
Bonnie

Troy, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2009

I cut my teeth on county music and it is still in my blood. The first Country song I can remember hearing as a child was "Cattle Call" by Eddie Arnold.

My favorite of all is Gene Watson. What a voice! I have about all his CD's and listen to him while traveling and at home. May God bless him always.

I just want to say that what they call country music now is anything but. I don't watch CMT anymore, preferring to listen to my favorites on CD's. What's next - Hard Rock Country? Heaven forbid. I wish they would put a channel on TV with nothing but the older artists - the best in my estimation!
Casey James Putnam

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2009

Judged:

The managment at the opry is no diffrent than the current managment at the record companies.There motto is;We dont care about real music anymore,we only care about ass and tits and prerry faces and swinging hips. I feel like going to Nashville and giving some corperate Nashville executives a good old country ass whoopin.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stonewall Jackson Discussions

Search the Stonewall Jackson Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Robert E. Lee: Remembering An American Legend (Jan '11) Jan '12 FACE the FACTS 263
Grand Ole Opry singer claims age discrimination... (Feb '07) Dec '10 James Fox 16
Collector donates historic rifles, pistols to V... (Sep '10) Sep '10 beentheredonethat 1
Would a newly named holiday be as reverent? (Jan '09) Feb '09 Communist Clam 19
Remembering Robert E. Lee's 202nd Birthday (Jan '09) Jan '09 bappie 14
Praise For Lee And Jackson (Jan '09) Jan '09 Libbo_Whacker 32
Stonewall Jackson, Grand Ole Opry settle lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '08 Georgia Cherokee 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••