Would a newly named holiday be as reverent?

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

J im Hoeft, a local Republican blogger and creator of the Bearing Drift blog, is calling on the General Assembly to rename the upcoming Lee-Jackson Day holiday .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Lessismore

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

We should rename MLK day to "Thug Lovers Day"
josiah p

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

what did he not learn at tech? what a waste of a human being. he probably should be given another chance, but if he breaks bad again, be put away forever, and if for no other reason than to protect the innocent.
good grief

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

"To think that the day is based on innocent reverence for two heroes is simply not acknowledging the facts of history," Hoeft wrote on Bearing Drift. "At best, it's a naive approach to history; at worst, it's something more sinister." Excuse me jerkwad, but he Civil War was NOT based on the slavery issue. It was based on the Northern aggression to rule over the South's industrial trade. Lee and Jackson ARE heroes to the South.

He adds: "If Virginia is ever going to move beyond the days of racial prejudice and towards Jefferson's more perfect union, where all men are truly created equal, then we must take action to alter this holiday."
So you are saying we need a MLK day, a BLACK man but to have Lee-Jackson day is racial prejudice? What a i diot! What a double standard. I'm sick to death of this PC crap.
See No Evil

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

Rename "Lee-Jackson Day?"

OK ... as long as "MLK Day" is renamed "Minority Heritage Day" or something similarly generic at the same time.

Let's keep it real ...
josiah p

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

my comment #2 got directed to the wrong article, it was supposed to be for vic.
CJackCity

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Maybe the State workers should actualy work. The State already enjoys 14 holidays, substantially more than the private world. Maybe if they worked more often they would accomplish something productive. (That was hard to say with a straight face.)
FUBAR

Poquoson, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

Now the carpet baggers are trying to take away a southern heritage, the Stars and Bars, and now a Holiday in honner of two of the most finest men this country has ever had. Will it ever end?
Kate

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

It doesn't matter what they call it. No one really cares as long as they don't have to go to work.
common sense

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Judged:

two honset men that defended virginia in a time none of us know about. go ahead and erase their honor. now lets erase the slavery issue while you are at it. he is a idiot and he will never get a vote from me
MLK

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Obama sure as hell wasn't judged by his character (or lack thereof), but rode in on white guilt and the concept of positive discrimination.

The dream is dead. Martin Luther King's ideals have been discarded for the cult of victimhood and entitlement.
retiredvet

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

This individual obviously knows nothing about history and what motivated these men to make the difficult choices they had to make during the sectional crisis.

They loved Virginia more than anyone alive today.
Jimmy L Shirley Jr

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

retiredvet wrote:
This individual obviously knows nothing about history and what motivated these men to make the difficult choices they had to make during the sectional crisis.
They loved Virginia more than anyone alive today.
I so agree with this statement that it is hard to contain myself.

But, the fact is, historicl ignorance is now the preferred mode of living in this country. Why, even the new President of the United States, a half-White, half-Black halfbreed, recited his Oath of Office by placing his hand on the same Bible a. lincoln used, nevermind that he was a virulent White supremacist. While ignorance might be bliss, it can also be costly.

Robert E. Lee sacrificed all save his life and honour in the defence of his country, Virginia. Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson did sacrifice all save his honour in the defence of his country, Virginia.

The fact is, these two men deserve a national holiday in their honour. Ironically, by applying the standard praised by mlk,(content of character...) these two men do deserve one whereas king himself does not.
Yolanda

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

spike lee an jessie jackson was great amercans an day should be a pay holday in all amerca
VDOT Supervisor

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

CJackCity wrote:
Maybe the State workers should actualy work. The State already enjoys 14 holidays, substantially more than the private world. Maybe if they worked more often they would accomplish something productive.(That was hard to say with a straight face.)
State workers often work holidays and weekends. Despite the Inauguration, during yesterday's snowstorm VDOT employees were busy keeping the roads clear and safe for all motorists. Not one accident could be attributed to inclement weather. Just another way your VDOT serves you.
Yes

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

VDOT Supervisor wrote:
<quoted text>
State workers often work holidays and weekends. Despite the Inauguration, during yesterday's snowstorm VDOT employees were busy keeping the roads clear and safe for all motorists. Not one accident could be attributed to inclement weather. Just another way your VDOT serves you.
Very funny if it snowed.......
On another note...
If it all can not be equal then get rid of all Holidays!!!!!! Or don't change a thing just add a name..
George McCormick

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Then, can we rename Martin Luther King Day, Civil Rights Day?
FUBAR

Poquoson, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2009

Lets have a holiday celibration for OJ finally going to jail.

OJ, your a dumb as88 murderer. You could not stand the idea of Nicole getting some white meat.
Professor

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

Hoeft, much like his gay-significant-other, Brian Kirwin, has serious brain damage, and any idea, that he comes up with, should immediately be dismissed as damaged goods. Hoeft and his lover, run a Republican-web-blog, that caters to the mentally disturbed, and honestly, should not be considered by normal folks.
Communist Clam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

George McCormick wrote:
Then, can we rename Martin Luther King Day, Civil Rights Day?
Don't forget Columbus Day, to be renamed Explorer's Day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Stonewall Jackson Discussions

Search the Stonewall Jackson Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Robert E. Lee: Remembering An American Legend (Jan '11) Jan '12 FACE the FACTS 263
Grand Ole Opry singer claims age discrimination... (Feb '07) Dec '10 James Fox 16
Collector donates historic rifles, pistols to V... (Sep '10) Sep '10 beentheredonethat 1
Older country stars feel slighted at Grand Ole ... (Mar '07) May '09 Casey James Putnam 17
Remembering Robert E. Lee's 202nd Birthday (Jan '09) Jan '09 bappie 14
Praise For Lee And Jackson (Jan '09) Jan '09 Libbo_Whacker 32
Stonewall Jackson, Grand Ole Opry settle lawsuit (Nov '08) Nov '08 Georgia Cherokee 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••