Stone Temple Pilots worth the risk

Stone Temple Pilots worth the risk

There are 49 comments on the The Morning Call story from Aug 9, 2008, titled Stone Temple Pilots worth the risk. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

In these tough times, the financial risk of the summer was not whether to lock into oil heating prices, but whether to buy tickets to see Stone Temple Pilots at Musikfest .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kal

Allentown, PA

#1 Aug 9, 2008
Awesome performance.... I was impressed by Weiland's ability to sustain energy through the show.

“aka MOB”

Since: Mar 07

Bethlehem

#2 Aug 9, 2008
They were totally worth the wait (about 48 minutes late to open) and gave a great performance!

Best show I've seen at Musikfest ever.
stp080808

Slatington, PA

#3 Aug 9, 2008
The STP show last night was possibly the best show I have ever been to. I was really looking forward to reading The Morning Call's review, but I was disappointed with what was written. It would've been nice to read a review about the show that didn't reference Scott's issues, especially since none were evident last night. The band really gave it there all, I would've gladly played twice the amount for my VIP section 5 seats! Yeah, they came on 45 minutes late, but the opener didn't even leave the stage until 835 in the first place. And just to clarify, his t-shirt read "I hate it here now" and under that there was a reference to voting in November '08. His full quote praising the crowd was "What a beautiful sight this is; what a wonderful crowd you are. Theres nothing more satisfying, nothing more warm to your heart, to your soul as a musician than an audience who responds to the music the way you do." It really gave me goosebumps. The band was extremely tight and in sync. As a long time fan it was awesome to hear the jam sessions in between songs and to see the banter between the boys. We are truly lucky that STP agreed to come to Lehigh Valley and I think the vast majority of the sold out crowd would agree. Thanks so much to the organizers of Musikfest for bringing STP here!
STP Fan

Kutztown, PA

#4 Aug 9, 2008
It was an awesome show! They were totally in sync. Weiland was electrifying... Last night's show makes me want to see them over and over and over again...
Jenn

Allentown, PA

#5 Aug 9, 2008
Michele of Bethlehem wrote:
They were totally worth the wait (about 48 minutes late to open) and gave a great performance!
Best show I've seen at Musikfest ever.
at least you didn't have to wait an hour and a half like i had to when i saw them in jersey in the beginning of the year.=[
Cips

Riegelsville, PA

#6 Aug 10, 2008
STP ROCKED MUSIKFEST. PERIOD. Don't let the old folks at Mcall fool you. Those who were at the show know. Yeah, they were a bit late, but you know, "it's only rock n roll and I like it" ;-)

“It's Evolution Baby.....”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown Pa

#7 Aug 10, 2008
Well worth the wait, well worth the money, well worth fighting the gauntlet to the toilets and back.

Best show I've ever been to at Musikfest.
Matt_PSU

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Aug 10, 2008
It was a great show. Weiland really had it together and the band performed flawlessly. I was nervous because there were a lot of negative reviews, some as recent as last week, detailing weiland's exploits. But all that proved to be a non issue.

If only they could have stretched out the set rather than be cut off by the end of musikfest.

I am glad the musikfest organizers were able to pull this one off. It was clearly the most successful show and generated the most interest by far.
flincon

Gilbert, AZ

#9 Aug 10, 2008
i'm glad to hear good reviews about the show--i was skeptical, and afraid the mcall would send some stodgey, unsympathetic boob to cover the show. i was so impressed when i heard STP was coming, i could only think that should be one of the highest standards of musicality musikfest could possibly put on stage. really--who can they get next year to top this?
loved it

United States

#10 Aug 11, 2008
Not a huge fan of STP, but thoroughly enjoyed the show. Wished I would've grabbed garden seats or the cafe. Worth every penny!! Especially loved Wieland in the Phillies hat!
Alex

Ambler, PA

#11 Aug 11, 2008
2 years in a row that musikfest shows have floored me. I grew up in the lehigh valley, and I remember mostly washed up acts of my parents' era, barely able to perform being the traditional musikfest fare.

Last year Alice in Chains was probably the best concert i'd been too up to that point. This year, STP eclipsed that big time. I really can't imagine how they can top it next year, but I certainly hope they do.

excellent show all around
Raeven

Allentown, PA

#12 Aug 11, 2008
Alex wrote:
2 years in a row that musikfest shows have floored me. I grew up in the lehigh valley, and I remember mostly washed up acts of my parents' era, barely able to perform being the traditional musikfest fare.
Last year Alice in Chains was probably the best concert i'd been too up to that point. This year, STP eclipsed that big time. I really can't imagine how they can top it next year, but I certainly hope they do.
excellent show all around
Both were Excellent, Excellent shows that I'd see again in a heartbeat. I was very impressed by the sound quality as I was able to hear everything mixed close to perfectly.
re: topping next year.
If only Sound Garden would get back together..... ;)

Since: Feb 08

Allentown

#13 Aug 11, 2008
"The 90's grunge sound gave a well deserved kick in the pants to New Wave." huh? Im confused.

“What does your soul look like?”

Since: Apr 08

Bethlehem, PA

#14 Aug 11, 2008
I'm on board with everyone on here: THE SHOW WAS AWESOME! They were more engaging with the crowd than I thought they'd be and they sounded great, too!

I was in VIP 2, 18th row and it was well worth every penny spent...

Kudos to MusikFest and ArtsQuest for getting STP to play here!
C in Bethlehm

Allentown, PA

#15 Aug 11, 2008
Dear journalists, How about we keep our political views out of our music critiques! It is time that journalists accept the responsibility of reporting the facts and giving the reviews they are paid to give, keeping personal view out of the mixture. You alienate as many as you gain as readers. I have cancelled my Morning Call subscription this past Saturday. I hope the paper can afford this kind of action.
What Were u Smoking

Sewell, NJ

#16 Aug 11, 2008
How can you people say that concert was amazing??? I was on the lawn and could barely hear the band! The entire lawn kept chanting to "turn it up" but they didnt listen. Scott was definitely under the influence of something at the beginning of the show and was talking in coherently between songs and sounded like crap for the 1st half of the show. He seemed to sober up alittle toward the end of the show and it got better but the sound was still bad. At least they played all their hits. I'd give the show a 5/10. And i wasn't alone, all of my friends seemed to agree with me.
PJF

Walnutport, PA

#17 Aug 11, 2008
Raeven wrote:
<quoted text>
Both were Excellent, Excellent shows that I'd see again in a heartbeat. I was very impressed by the sound quality as I was able to hear everything mixed close to perfectly.
re: topping next year.
If only Sound Garden would get back together..... ;)
I think it's time the fest brings Pearl Jam to Sand Island!
erica

Marlton, NJ

#18 Aug 11, 2008
Wow. Were we all at the same show? I am with "What Were u Smoking." The sound was awful, it was quiet, what we did hear was bouncing off the trailers in the back of the venue, and when I did hear Scott Weiland, he sounded wasted, confused and forgetful.

Oh, and C in Bethlehem? Seriously? A review IS personal opinion. They are SUPPOSED to put their personal views in the review.
Ambivalent

Walnutport, PA

#19 Aug 11, 2008
I've been looking forward to this show since it was announced and was fortunate enough to have garden tickets with front row seats. From my vantage point, the view was incredible but I could barely hear the vocals which was disappointing. It was also pretty apparent just how wasted Scott was which just made me sad. This band is so talented and has the potential to rock for years to come but I just don't think their lead singer will be around for much longer. I hope he proves me wrong.

“You got the wrong person”

Since: Aug 07

Red Hill, PA

#20 Aug 11, 2008
PJF wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's time the fest brings Pearl Jam to Sand Island!
You know that will never happen. There is not enough room to support the crowd.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stone Temple Pilots Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
STP Singer Submissions - post them here ! the w... Mar '16 david s 1
News Gov. Brown's sister on board of firm in gas leak (Dec '15) Dec '15 Joshua Howard 1
News Weiland Cancels Upcoming European Tour (Aug '15) Aug '15 DisDude 1
News Weekend picks (Jul '14) Jul '14 muzak 1
News Lil Wayne back home for Voodoo Experience (Jun '08) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 2
News Scott Weiland, Morrissey, and Mark Farner -- is... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Greg 1
News Trial set for Phoenix woman accused of abusing ... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web