'Eastern': Blood, gore and a bare Mor...

'Eastern': Blood, gore and a bare Mortensen

There are 1 comment on the Baltimore Sun story from Sep 21, 2007, titled 'Eastern': Blood, gore and a bare Mortensen. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Can Saturday Night Live bring back Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin to do a "wild and crazy guys" parody of Eastern Promises? With Vincent Cassel and Viggo Mortensen playing Russian mafia pals in London, the film ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Shoumik Hassin

Bangladesh

#1 Jul 8, 2008
I politely disagree with the review. Viggo Mortensen is truly great as Nikolai in the movie, one role which could be referred to as revelatory, if not for his work in History of Violence (Chronenbeg's last film). I too felt that the accents depleted from complete immersion in the film, but the characters, aside from Naomi Watts (admittedly not given much to do in a thankless role) are compelling and detailed. Chronenberg it seems would like to linger on the tattoos as life stories portion more than the script itself (since when has Chronenberg not gone in for bodily mutation?) and his touches show in the overall movie. In many portions the actors and the director combine to go above and beyond what is essentially a mediocre script (SPOILERS: even poor, forced scenes such as Mortensen's police connection is dealt with well by the team). I believe that Chronenberg despite being a bit more mainstream nowadays is certainly daring often including scenes that other directors would rightly balk at. In the end its a daring, original interpretation of the script by a very talented cast and crew and though not what I expected left me pleased at having the opportunity to watch the film.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gowanda's rail to connect with Cherry Creek aft... Jul 8 Residents 1
News Actor Steve Martin on bringing Lawren Harris to... Jul 1 Brad Nail-Gunn 1
News David Letterman briefly unretires, devastates D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 msvk23 1
News Letterman delivers Trump 'Top 10' list (Jul '15) Jul '15 Miss Id 4
News Steve Martin has fun with Huck Finn Jubilee aud... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Go Blue Forever 1
News Latino voters may be wary of the 'Three Amigos' (Apr '15) Apr '15 ILLEGAL A-HOLE 3
News 'Parenthood' And The Strange Case Of The Missin... (Jan '15) Jan '15 DILF 1
More from around the web