King Tut Exhibit Opens In Philly

King Tut Exhibit Opens In Philly

There are 31 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Feb 25, 2007, titled King Tut Exhibit Opens In Philly. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

February 25, 2007 By GEOFF GEHMAN , The Morning Call PHILADELPHIA -- The boy king's burial bling is back for another fling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Duh

Philadelphia, PA

#24 Sep 5, 2007
Jari-ankamun wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way what does the Cario Museum have..and what is the price of it please. Oh and have you ever been to the Valley of the Kings if so what was it like. I really want to take a vacation to Egypt.
Yeah yeah I've seen Egypt from Abu Simbal to Alexandria. I did not get a chance to go to Siwa or any other oasis.

I honestly don't remember the price but as everything else in Egypt outside of the high end hotels everything is very affordable. Plan on two days for the museum, the mummy room is very cool. Ramses the II is about as close to immotality as a human can get. We're still looking at his dead azz.

Aswan is also worth a stop to see the temple of Philea go at night too. See the laser show at the pyramids, my brotha of color prepared to be hustled by every tout around.

Valley of the kings is ok but all the really good stuff from there is in the museum. Som good heiro's on the walls. Luxor and Karnak are very cool and huge. Largest free standing single stone obilisk and also one still in the quarry that cracked are there to see. Haptepshuts temple is also worth a stop off.

Take out some good travel insurance as the chance being done in by DBLD (death by local driver) are very real.

I've been over and over the anthropologic propoganda of the pro wide nose fat lip facet of what some believe ancients were but I'm not convinced based on what I've seen from the genuine iconography there. And what I've read about the DNA data from the mummies. Meh

The Nubians of the south were (and if you go there yourself) were far different than the north.

I've been to Cairo five times and Ethiopia and the Sudan and what I know is from my own boots on the ground not wishful thinking.

Toodaloo

“ the Crusher of Bigots”

Since: Jul 07

Self Proclaimed Scholar

#25 Sep 5, 2007
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah yeah I've seen Egypt from Abu Simbal to Alexandria. I did not get a chance to go to Siwa or any other oasis.
I honestly don't remember the price but as everything else in Egypt outside of the high end hotels everything is very affordable. Plan on two days for the museum, the mummy room is very cool. Ramses the II is about as close to immotality as a human can get. We're still looking at his dead azz.
Aswan is also worth a stop to see the temple of Philea go at night too. See the laser show at the pyramids, my brotha of color prepared to be hustled by every tout around.
Valley of the kings is ok but all the really good stuff from there is in the museum. Som good heiro's on the walls. Luxor and Karnak are very cool and huge. Largest free standing single stone obilisk and also one still in the quarry that cracked are there to see. Haptepshuts temple is also worth a stop off.
Take out some good travel insurance as the chance being done in by DBLD (death by local driver) are very real.
I've been over and over the anthropologic propoganda of the pro wide nose fat lip facet of what some believe ancients were but I'm not convinced based on what I've seen from the genuine iconography there. And what I've read about the DNA data from the mummies. Meh
The Nubians of the south were (and if you go there yourself) were far different than the north.
I've been to Cairo five times and Ethiopia and the Sudan and what I know is from my own boots on the ground not wishful thinking.
Toodaloo
true, thanks for the advice bud.
Duh

Philadelphia, PA

#26 Sep 6, 2007
Jari-ankamun wrote:
<quoted text>
true, thanks for the advice bud.
No problem hope you get there...Inshallah and have a good time it's a really cool country.

Just take some cipro and Immodium, you WILL get sick, almost every visitor does, for some reason Egypt is a bad one. It's not an issue if you are prepared and careful.

The only other drag about the country is it's so dependant on tourism that almost everyone you meet especially in the Khan-al-Khalili market, the interaction will eventually turn into a business transaction. It's really hard to meet people on any other level...it's always about business.

Any other specifics just let me know.

You can also find me and ask questions at www.polosbastards.com

~Stiv
Valencia

Winona Lake, IN

#27 Oct 1, 2007
I have had quite an odyssey trying to see this exhibit. What started out as a visit, turned into a pilgrimage. I lived 1.5 hours from Chicago, but I procrastinated and tried to get tickets the last week and it was sold out. I was determined to see Tut before he left the states. I never got to see the 70s exhibit and just turning 40 years old, I knew that if I didn't see it this time, I may NEVER see it and I couldn't let that happen. After procrastinating again, I got tickets in Philadelphia for the last weekend. Sure, I thought the tickets were pricey, but I felt it would be worth it. Me, my friend and my 3 year old drove to Philadelphia overnight with about 2 hours of sleep to see this. Downtown Philly was a zoo, with a large festival and the drivers who act as if they are practicing in the Indy 500!!

About the exhibit--- I too, was disappointed to not see the mask, but I can understand it Egypt did not want to release it. Something so precious has to be protected. My main issue with the exhibit was the lack of DAZZLE I expected. The Imax movie was pretty interesting, but as it progressed, it made me more bored than excited. The last room where everyone was expected to see Tut, had a hologram image of him lying in a tomb. That was pretty disappointing.

My biggest disappointment was how we were dumped in the gift shop with all that Tut paraphanelia and instead of feeling like it was celebrating these most interesting people, it felt like overcommercialization to make a buck. I actually found some of the articles being sold to be an insult to the memory of what this dynasty was. I was turned off completely. I did buy a poster for 6.95, that I plan to have professionally framed.

I am glad that I was successful in my pilgrimage to see King Tut, but I sure wish there would have been more DAZZLE.
Valencia

Winona Lake, IN

#28 Oct 1, 2007
My first time ever in Philly this weekend..2 things:

All the hype about your cheesesteaks is well warranted. My sandwich purchased from Johnny's was wonderful.:-)

Why are Philly drivers so rude and drive like maniacs??!! I was afraid for myself and my toddler!
Duh

Philadelphia, PA

#29 Oct 1, 2007
Valencia wrote:
All the hype about your cheesesteaks is well warranted. My sandwich purchased from Johnny's was wonderful.:-)
Why are Philly drivers so rude and drive like maniacs??!! I was afraid for myself and my toddler!
Sorry to hear you had to deal with that. All I can say is it's all a part of the *North East corridor*(Bostin, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC)experience.

The midwest is a world apart from this here rat race. Consider yourself lucky to have the proper perspective, folks here think this is normal (which it is far from).

WRT the Tut exhibit, as I mentioned earlier the best forum to see this stuff is unfortunately (in some regards) to go to the source.

The Cairo museum stuns and amazes (as does the rest of the country).
Liz

Pittsburgh, PA

#30 Oct 8, 2007
Am I the only person who thought that it was completely worth it? It didn't really phase me when I saw that Tut wasn't actually there. Maybe it was just me, but looking at almost perfectly intact three thousand year old artifacts kind of took my mind off of the whole thing... I found the entire exhibit absolutely fascinating and well worth the money.
Brotherly love

Charlotte, NC

#31 Oct 10, 2007
Sorry everyone didn't have a good time. It's a shame it costs so much to go out nowadays. I'm sure all of our kids, will appreciate how much their parents care about them and want to show them exhibits such as this one. I think it's fantastic that their are a few of us parents in this world that truly love being involved. We moved to Charlotte 4 months ago and it's lovely, people are very nice and curtious. I truly enjoyed going home though and bringing my kids to see this. If you guys ever want another cool thing to bring your kids to try the mutter museum. It's awesome, and good for the ones who like gore and the history of anything to do with the body. It's a really neat place to bring kids, or even for a date with a significant other. Maybe we can all add cool things such as events, or museums on here for all to know about. Try Cirque du Solei too! Peace people, and have a great day!!
Brotherly love

Charlotte, NC

#32 Oct 10, 2007
Valencia wrote:
Sorry you had this experience with driving.. yea it is different, but at least you get where you need to go quickly, LOL. Some of us are actually really nice, and care about others, but it's hard to drive like that because the majority don't. Just one of those things. You must try Geno's cheeseteaks, yummy yummy. When I moved my parents went to Esposito's (meat store in south philly) you can buy boxes of pre wrapped meat; either chicken, or beef, and make them at home. Just remember to buy wiz, and get rolls from philly-we have the water that makes the rolls fantastic. haha listen to me, I have a box in the freezer right now..if I wouldn't wake up the whole house i'd be in the kitchen choppin onions and frying myself up a sandwich. Please don't think badly of Philly people, they can be intense, but are usually family loving, hard working people (most are). Take care :)
Ladylaw

Sacramento, CA

#33 Jul 13, 2009
Bottom line is that a majority of people were left with the impression that the full Tut exhibition was once again on tour when in fact it is just a few (albeit fabulous) treasures. Perhaps we should be grateful but I feel cheated. In fact I was given some sort of gold card and on the bottom in the back in very small print it carries a disclaimer about the 16 inch gold mask featured in all the advertisements and promos. This leads me to believe that a majority of people were mislead by omission.

Since: Jun 09

Scrotum, Idaho

#34 Jul 13, 2009
Saw this in L.A. a few years ago.

Seems that Philly shares my opinion of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve Martin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latino voters may be wary of the 'Three Amigos' Apr '15 ILLEGAL A-HOLE 3
News 'Parenthood' And The Strange Case Of The Missin... Jan '15 DILF 1
Me and chess (Apr '14) Apr '14 Steve Martin 1
News Steve Martin Apologizes After Making Racial Jok... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dugl 1
steve martin analyzing a painting in art museum... (Oct '13) Oct '13 biru 1
Steve Martin nude (Nov '11) Mar '13 Steve Allen 2
RIP Steve (Nov '12) Nov '12 andy 3
More from around the web