Breaking Dawn: Part 1-An Anti-Abortio...

Breaking Dawn: Part 1-An Anti-Abortion Message in a Bruised-Apple Package

There are 16 comments on the Ms. Magazine story from Nov 18, 2011, titled Breaking Dawn: Part 1-An Anti-Abortion Message in a Bruised-Apple Package. In it, Ms. Magazine reports that:

As I sat watching the vampiric ode to white weddings that dominated the opening scenes of Breaking Dawn: Part 1 , I waited anxiously for the honeymoon and morning-after scenes, wondering how the latest Twilight film would present vampire Edward's " headboard-busting " sex and his new wife Bella's bruised body.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ms. Magazine.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1 Nov 19, 2011
This article cracks me up!

You have Bella, who has clearly made a decission not to abort,and then you have Edward who wants the pregnancy aborted. Edward cannot convince Bella to abort so he asks Jacob to try to convince her. Later you have Carlise, the doctor, telling her the medical dangers that she faces by continuing the pregnancy. Bella resists and decides to continue her pregnancy.

If anything is "anti-feminism" it's Edward and Jacob trying to coerce her into having an abortion that she obviously doesn't want.

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#2 Nov 19, 2011
So trying to save the life of a pregnant woman (barring unpredictable 'miraculous' events) is anti-feminist? Who knew?

Location hidden

#3 Nov 19, 2011
pbfa wrote:
So trying to save the life of a pregnant woman (barring unpredictable 'miraculous' events) is anti-feminist? Who knew?
Trying to coerce her into having an abortion, that she has already made the choice not to have, is.

“Beauty on four legs”

Location hidden

#4 Nov 19, 2011
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to coerce her into having an abortion, that she has already made the choice not to have, is.
Did he try to "coerce" her? I don't remember that, even from the book. I think you're exaggerating. She was willing to risk her life & due to a deus ex machina manipulation, she survived. She was saved by a plot twist, that's all.

Location hidden

#5 Nov 19, 2011
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
Did he try to "coerce" her? I don't remember that, even from the book. I think you're exaggerating. She was willing to risk her life & due to a deus ex machina manipulation, she survived. She was saved by a plot twist, that's all.
If she had decided to abort, and her hubby couldn't convincre her not to, then he went to a friend to try to convince her not to, would you consider that an attempt to coerce her?

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#7 Nov 20, 2011
They're fictional characters in inane movies. Who cares?

“Beauty on four legs”

Location hidden

#8 Nov 20, 2011
Bitner wrote:
They're fictional characters in inane movies. Who cares?
But, bitner, that's all they have & even there, they have to over-reach.

“ABORTION KILLS A HUMAN BEING”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#9 Nov 20, 2011
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
But, bitner, that's all they have & even there, they have to over-reach.
Yet you read the books and saw the movies! LMAO! Hypocrite!
I can't even believe there's a thread about this stupid movie.

“Women are people, not objects.”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#10 Nov 21, 2011
Ahh, yes. How utterly terrible of the boyfriend/husband, to value his own wife's life even a LITTLE!

What he should have done was this:

"Bella, you're pregnant and it might kill you."

*PATOOEY*(spits on Bella)

"But you are, after all, only a vessel for the unborn and no person worth caring for. Die now, so that I may have my freaky undead heir that should not have been conceived in the first place. Oh...no? Well then..I'll just eat your stomach open! Gnawm...gnawm...gnawm*

Yeah...no wonder "prolifers" love it so much. The idea of a woman paying for an orgasm with her life makes them happy.

Sick.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#11 Nov 22, 2011
Lmao so Bella want a baby that when it gets older gonna kill everybody she knows n love n bring forth the anti Christ n than revolation will begin all because she want a demon baby she has the power to stop the end of the world but she don't cuz it's her baby tell me if you knew that the baby will b the start of the end of everything would you still want the baby????? You got to think of the greater good of all humanity n not just your own needs n wants....beside I think Bella was doing all that just to get attention...n she knew that she would die but still wanted the baby but she didn't want to rasie it cuz she knew that she would die... What a woman smh pfft

Location hidden

#12 Nov 22, 2011
Leonine wrote:
Ahh, yes. How utterly terrible of the boyfriend/husband, to value his own wife's life even a LITTLE!
What he should have done was this:
"Bella, you're pregnant and it might kill you."
*PATOOEY*(spits on Bella)
"But you are, after all, only a vessel for the unborn and no person worth caring for. Die now, so that I may have my freaky undead heir that should not have been conceived in the first place. Oh...no? Well then..I'll just eat your stomach open! Gnawm...gnawm...gnawm*
Yeah...no wonder "prolifers" love it so much. The idea of a woman paying for an orgasm with her life makes them happy.
Sick.
Who said that he shouldn't value her life? But should he be trying to coerce her into aborting? What happened to; "her body, her choice"? Would you feel the same if she had wanted to abort and he was trying to coerce her not to?

Location hidden

#13 Nov 22, 2011
Qvodude wrote:
Lmao so Bella want a baby that when it gets older gonna kill everybody she knows n love n bring forth the anti Christ n than revolation will begin all because she want a demon baby she has the power to stop the end of the world but she don't cuz it's her baby tell me if you knew that the baby will b the start of the end of everything would you still want the baby????? You got to think of the greater good of all humanity n not just your own needs n wants....beside I think Bella was doing all that just to get attention...n she knew that she would die but still wanted the baby but she didn't want to rasie it cuz she knew that she would die... What a woman smh pfft
Maybe if you used punctuation, people would be able to understand your post.

United States

#14 Nov 22, 2011
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe if you used punctuation, people would be able to understand your post.
Ok so now ur the grammar teacher now?????

Location hidden

#15 Nov 22, 2011
Qvodude wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok so now ur the grammar teacher now?????
You need one.

United States

#16 Nov 22, 2011
I do huh r u qualified to b one shyt I didn't knew we have to type proper for your ass mah bad

Location hidden

#17 Nov 23, 2011
Qvodude wrote:
I do huh r u qualified to b one shyt I didn't knew we have to type proper for your ass mah bad
Are you really this stupid, or do you just play stupd when you post on Topix?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephenie Meyer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Unnecessary sex scene in 'The Host' may surpris... (Apr '13) May '13 Unknown 5
News Meet The New RPattz (Apr '13) Apr '13 hope and pray 1
News First Look: The Host Poster Featuring Saoirse R... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News 'Twilight's' last gleaming: 'Breaking Dawn - Pa... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Vampires Suck 2
Twilight ? (Jul '12) Jul '12 iamtwilight 1
News Robsten May Be Over: Who Should Robert Pattinso... (Jul '12) Jul '12 _Chartreuse_ 2
News Robert Pattinson too old for 'Twilight,' buys L... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Biie 2
More from around the web