Ken Hanna, Macumba Suite printed musi...

Ken Hanna, Macumba Suite printed music (?)

Posted in the Stan Kenton Forum

Mike Hyziak

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 16, 2007
To all:

(So far I have spoken with Ken Poston of the LA Jazz Institute, Bob Curnow of Sierra Music, and Dr. Arturo Ortega of the UNT Jazz Library)

Hello, my name is Mike Hyziak, and I am a recent graduate of new York University wth my Master's in Jazz Studies (composition). I am doing some research into the composition process of various jazz composers, and at this particular moment, my focus is on Ken Hanna (who wrote for the Stan Kenton Orchestra at various times
throughout his career). There is one specific composition I am trying to find the music for, which is his "Macumba Suite" extended composition.
So far I've had no luck with tracking this composition down. I was doing a search for copyright information through google, and came across this forum about Kenton summer jazz clinics. And I noticed that some people mentioned they rehearsed/played the Macumba Suite.
If ANYONE could give me any information I could use to further my research (if someone should know what the piece was copyrighted under, or an estate/any sort of contact information, distributor) I would greatly appreciate it. My ultimate goal is to study this music, for its compositional value, and gain a deeper appreciation for its originality.
If anyone has any information that may help, please email me at:
[email protected]

Thank you for your time.

Mike Hyziak
Jared Kenneth Hanna

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jul 19, 2008
Ken Hanna was my grandfather my dad still has origonal hand written sheet music

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stan Kenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jazz trumpeter Stamm in Bethel (Jan '14) Jan '14 Boredwithbs 1
News Best Bets: Nov. 22, 2010: Ray Brown (Nov '10) Nov '10 JJJ 1
News FESTIVAL: Jazz Pros Share Talents and Technique... (Apr '08) Sep '10 RED RAIDER 5
News TELEVISION/FILM: Jazzed Media to Produce Stan K... (Oct '07) Aug '08 desmond sheehan 4
Stan Kenton on stage and on record (Sep '06) Nov '07 Gerry Ridley 2
News Ferguson packed concert halls with his high notes (Aug '06) Sep '06 mee 2
More from around the web