Reclusive Sly Stone To Join Tribute J...

Reclusive Sly Stone To Join Tribute Jam At The Grammys?

There are 12 comments on the WETM-TV Elmira story from Jan 28, 2006, titled Reclusive Sly Stone To Join Tribute Jam At The Grammys?. In it, WETM-TV Elmira reports that:

LATEST: Reclusive funk legend Sly Stone is so impressed by the line-up of a Grammy Awards tribute to his music, he's planning to get in on the act.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WETM-TV Elmira.

Terence

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jan 28, 2006
Sly was very keen. He knew funk wasn't junk. When I play funk I rock the hall. Sly baby, well he loves the everyday people.
Creston Rocker

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#2 Jan 29, 2006
I heard that Sly suffered from manic depression and that is why he dropped-out of the music scene back in the 70's. Is he OK now? If so, will he be releasing new material soon?
tom

Flowery Branch, GA

#3 Jan 29, 2006
Creston Rocker wrote:
I heard that Sly suffered from manic depression and that is why he dropped-out of the music scene back in the 70's. Is he OK now? If so, will he be releasing new material soon?
manic was right, sly was freakin crazy, brought on by drugs.. what really pushed him over was when his dogs ate one of his children while he was in a druged stupor locked in his studio while his wife was gone, messed up
sly stone

London, Canada

#4 Feb 10, 2006
I known sly for many years ...in fact ,,I played bass with sly when his brother freddy had a band called Freddy And The StonesSouls. And I've never heard anything about a dog eating sly's child. If this is true ,,it's not anyone job to give out this type of personal infomation over the net or anywhere else.
Africa77

Auburn, AL

#5 Apr 6, 2006
Sly is a very good person.In fact sly helped intergrate
bands along with Jimi Hendrix.
I was just glad he was there.But is was sad to see
him in that type of shape.He has age on top of age...
but I was glad to see him.
I LOVE YOU SLY!!!!
can wait to see more of you soon!{HOPE}
marco

Canada

#6 Apr 27, 2007
That dog story, what the hell!
Sly Stone, like so many visionaries,has an overlook of things past what regular blue collar folks see.
Being 2 steps ahead must be a hell of a sight.
Getting bored to easy and all that sorta stuff.
Regardless,his, and his families legacy ,is concrete.
Good music can be life changing and almost a religious experience.
Fantastic band all around,the whole vibe, the whole complexion.Thats what they brought to the table.
Just rock solid ,get on up an move yourself,forget the week and cut yourself loose .
HairyGuy

United States

#8 May 1, 2007
Old news,he did look too healthy but still LONG LIVE SLY STONE !! You Caught me smiling again.:)
Saranac Otter

New York, NY

#9 May 1, 2007
Would love to See Sly come back.
Victor K Oakland Ca

Alameda, CA

#10 Jun 29, 2007
Yes Sly and The Family Stone are in the studio working on a new CD for his Phattadatta Label.
Creston Rocker wrote:

“Animus Locus”

Since: Dec 06

Vallum at Amor

#11 Jun 29, 2007
Victor K Oakland Ca wrote:
Yes Sly and The Family Stone are in the studio working on a new CD for his Phattadatta Label.
<quoted text>
Sly is one of the great innovators, hope something comes out on a disc pretty soon. The music scene is pretty repetitious right now, need someone to kick some jams out. Nice to hear it could be a "Family Affair". He wouldn't happen to have Larry Graham on bass by any chance?
Belinda

Calgary, Canada

#12 Oct 25, 2007
I read that his pit bull attacked his toddler. He was hurt but not fatally. It broke up his marriage however.
The way people blow it up to something far worse is just another one of the negative stories that go around about him.
How many pit bulls have you heard of who have attacked and killed people - in the past 20 years? It's not exactly unheard of, and many people have acquired pit bulls without realizing how dangerous they can be.
He's a wonderful, gifted musician, who has been under tremendous pressure in his life, but managed to keep making magic.
Jeff

Sunnyvale, CA

#13 Jan 2, 2009
For more about what Belinda rightly refers to as "negative stories" and some positive ones that have been missed, go to a bookstore or online seller and buy I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly & the Family Stone (Backbeat Books, 2008). It's written by me, Jeff Kaliss, with a Foreword by Sly and a Preface by George Clinton. Click also my website, http://www.jeffkaliss.com .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sly Stone Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sly & the Family Stone released a new box set (... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mario Lopez 1
News Fam... - Sly & The Family Stone (Mar '11) Mar '11 White tornado 1
News Concert Review | George Clinton: Celebration of... (Dec '10) Dec '10 ittsburgh 5
News Now 'Stone' family member knows what soul truly... (Aug '10) Nov '10 Funkymonkey 8
News Now 'Stone' family member knows what soul truly... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Dance to the music 1
News Sly Stone sues ex-manager, claiming millions kept (Jan '10) Jan '10 Serrano 5
News Sly Stone sues ex-manager for withheld royalties (Jan '10) Jan '10 Karg 1
More from around the web