All-Girls concert a long hard slog

Full story: The Morning Call
Donald Rumsfeld would have appreciated Saturday's All-Girls Singer-Songwriter Power Evening concert at Mayfair: It was a long hard slog for everyone involved. Full Story
All girls

Easton, PA

#1 May 27, 2007
I thought gender discrimination was illegal? Oh, wait, only if it were all boys...
S Peterkin

Lilburn, GA

#2 May 28, 2007
I felt like reaching for my own rain gear when reading this concert review. Well done.

As an Eva Cassidy fan I am curious about your identification of Paul Simon's "Kathy's Song" with Eva. Did Ms. Colvin refer to Eva or was there something in the song cover that evoked Eva's arrangement for you?

Once again - great review!

Scott

Lilburn, Georgia
TRUE AZUL MUSIC

Macungie, PA

#3 May 29, 2007
Misinformation rules ...

1 - Alana Marie was backed up by an 8-piece band, not a 7-piece one: Drums, percussion, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, and 2 vocalists;
2 - Alana Marie's new single is "All I Want" not "What I Want".

Also, where did you get the information that Alana Marie's songs are likely supposed to be sensuous? Betty, for instance, was written in honor to her Grandma, who passed away when she was 11 ... The opening track "This Is What I Learned" talks about lessons learned through life " ... I can't always prove what is right, but I can choose what is right without proof ... I can't always get what I want, but I can choose what I want from what I get ...", "The Kiss at Cameo Lane" talks about finding perfect love, not in a sensual way, etc.

Liquid Love is one out of the 5 originals performed that could be called sensuous, which does not mean all other songs are supposed to be. Maybe you are taking the art (songs) by the artist image, which to no shame is very sensuous.

Liquid Love actually had the audience singing and clapping along - under the rain, we might say - far from tepid or nondescript.

As for Route 66 being "several miles of bad road" it only comes to show your lack of understanding of great musicianship, different music styles, or music as a whole. Is was the song chosen to introduced the band, and counted with outstanding solos, which brought to mind Jaco Pastorius (do you know who he was?) in the famous live recording of The Chicken. The crowd certainly got the message.

For all of those who were at the show, it was an upbeat performance with plenty of variety and an honest, heartfelt delivery, not to mention a band with names that are above the individual perception of one critic or another, such as Café da Silva and Eric Doney - certainly not extraneous!

Good thing we have it all recorded in video, to prove how the concert really went.

Oh, by the way ... Eva Cassidy did not write Kathy's song ... Paul Simon did. She just covered it herself on the album Time After Time.

True Azul Music - P.R.
Andy from Allentown

Spring Mount, PA

#4 Jun 2, 2007
The distinction between Simon and Garfunkel's "Kathy's Song" and Eva Cassidy's COVER is unique. Ms. Colvin performed a cover of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel's version. It wasn't the generators causing the problem, rather it was by ill-prepared sound engineers to deal with a hot mike that had been hissing all night. I was one who left as I was disappointed by paying $45 to hear that mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shawn Colvin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone like Laura Warshauer? (Aug '08) Apr '13 Megan 2
Catching up with Colvin (Jun '09) Apr '13 Megan 3
lost cd (Nov '07) Nov '07 Tom Thomson 1
For those who braved rain at Mayfair, Colvin wa... (May '07) May '07 Paul Simon 1
Mayfair to charge for three biggest concerts : ... (Apr '07) Apr '07 Artist 16
Mayfair to charge for three concerts : The Morn... (Apr '07) Apr '07 casey 1
For first time, Mayfair to charge for largest c... (Apr '07) Apr '07 Joan 1
More from around the web