Cultural Studies: A Celebrity Comes Out of the Closet? So What?

May 21, 2010 Full story: The New York Times

THE love that dare not speak its name has been speaking up an awful lot lately. So much, in fact, that people are starting not to notice when it happens.

Full Story
Vincent Ward

New York, NY

#1 May 23, 2010
My favorite celebrity coming out has been Neal Patrick Harris. Absolutely open about his sexuality and relationship with his current boyfriend, actor/chef David Burtka, while continuing to play womanizer Barney on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER and performing at benefits and award shows. What a brilliant, happy and positive minded talent and what a great role model for young people! No pressure there, of course.
The amazing thing is that, when a celeb comes out as gay, it's never someone you're surprised to hear it from.(I mean, if Danny DeVito or Larry King turned out to be gay, I'd be dumbfounded.)It's always someone who makes you go "Uh, well, duh!"
I actually thought Sean Hayes was gay but not because he played flamboyant Jack on WILL AND GRACE (heck, unless you can tell me something I didn't know,straight actor Phillip Charles Mackenzie played equally flamboyant Donald on Showtime'S brothers). It was because he gave such obscure answers when asked about his sexuality. Straight actors just say their not gay and even joke about it.
True, the general reaction when a celeb comes out is that it's not a big deal

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sean Hayes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sean Hayes nude (Jul '12) Jul '12 Alison 1
"Gays Can't Play Straight" Writer Fans New Flames (Jan '11) Jan '11 SFer 17
'Will & Grace' Ends But The Pair Lives On (May '06) Dec '10 caitlyn 18
Tony Awards: Sean Hayes hosts and toasts Broadw... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Sarah 1
Ramin Setoodeh Blames You Homos For Missing the... (May '10) May '10 snyper 11
Newsweek Writer Gets Called Out for Saying Gay ... (May '10) May '10 ScottyMatic 13
Who Can Play It Straight? (May '10) May '10 Leftatalbuquerque 7
More from around the web