Tavern smoking 'shows' snuffed

Tavern smoking 'shows' snuffed

There are 92 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 5, 2008, titled Tavern smoking 'shows' snuffed. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Facing increasing criticism for a series of smoking "performances" that have allowed bar patrons to light up across the state, the Minnesota Department of Health took steps Wednesday to draw the curtain on a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bad Policy

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 5, 2008
Isn't Joe Murphy the aide to Ramsey County Republican Commissioner Tony Bennett? What gives Joe? Or did the quarterback tell you to do it?
Jack Bauer

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 5, 2008
Chloe, tell Buchanan that while I only got here second, I still need to report that I'm peeved about this anti-smoking nanny-state b.s.
Shecky

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 6, 2008
"Facing increasing criticism" -- tendentious reporting. A few establishment types were complaining. I guess that's all that really matters to this reporter. The authorities are ticked! Can't have that!

I hope people will just ignore these laws -- call the fascists out - make the authorities get heavy about their smoking ban. Then the newspaper can gleefully report people getting jailed for smoking cigs.
Wanna Smoke-Stay home

Atlantic Beach, FL

#4 Mar 6, 2008
I hope somebody ignores the law protecting you from harm! Not really, but it shows how absurd that idea is!
life

Excelsior, MN

#6 Mar 6, 2008
doesn't "acting" depict real life. Everyone is an extra in life. We watch real life shows on TV.
Carl

Plymouth, MN

#7 Mar 6, 2008
All the bars need to do is put a 3 foot by 3 foot stage in a corner a book of poetry available, and as individuals had a desire to smoke, step onto the stage, read a few lines of poetry while they enjoy their cigarette.
It will be a win-win situation. The smokers will be able to enjoy their cigarette and the patrons will get some culture.
Gordon Draves

United States

#8 Mar 6, 2008
Great timing! Just as I was going to E-mail others about how the bar owners were allowing their “actors” to smoke, I found your article. It is very encouraging that the public health department is enforcing the Freedom to Breathe Act. It is even more important since studies show decreases in heart attack rates after smoking bans go into effect. The most recent is the one from France showing a 15% drop in heart attack admissions to hospitals. The University of Indiana study of a county that had banned smoking in most public places compared with a similar smoky one, revealed a 59% decrease in heart attacks. Bravo for the health department.
Incidence of heart diseases drops after France enacts anti-smoking laws
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/6359...
Heart attacks in non-smokers decreased with smoking ban
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/5610....
angry american

Fort Myers, FL

#9 Mar 6, 2008
CANT FIGHT CITY HALLS FULL OF LIBERAL FOOLS WHO WANT TO RUN EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES
Going Broke

Ely, MN

#10 Mar 6, 2008
"Steiger said the Health Department would not release the legal opinion on which it decided the smoking performances violated the ban".

It would be wise for the Health Department to release the legal opinion basis. They will be required to release it if an enterprising reporter make a Freedom of Information Act claim against the department. To bad objective reporting is no longer the standard.
Carl

Plymouth, MN

#11 Mar 6, 2008
Hey Gordon. You want to save even more lives?
Ban fat people. They consume more health care dollars and resources than smokers.
karen

Eau Claire, WI

#12 Mar 6, 2008
Does the State not have any thing better to do then to go after a few bars that are tring to keep their doors open.
I do not smoke and I like not smelling like smoke when I come home from the bar however, I can choose another place to go with my friends where they do not smoke.

They state officials will have to take an expensive break from raising our taxes to deal with this.
Monica

Eau Claire, WI

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Gordon Draves wrote:
Great timing! Just as I was going to E-mail others about how the bar owners were allowing their “actors” to smoke, I found your article. It is very encouraging that the public health department is enforcing the Freedom to Breathe Act. It is even more important since studies show decreases in heart attack rates after smoking bans go into effect. The most recent is the one from France showing a 15% drop in heart attack admissions to hospitals. The University of Indiana study of a county that had banned smoking in most public places compared with a similar smoky one, revealed a 59% decrease in heart attacks. Bravo for the health department.
Incidence of heart diseases drops after France enacts anti-smoking laws
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90782/6359...
Heart attacks in non-smokers decreased with smoking ban
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/5610....
First of all what is this garbage(“actors”)? and second your Junk science has no merit here. Find somthing else to do. Perhaps your trailor needs some cleaning.

“Karaoke & DJ”

Since: Feb 08

Rosemount, MN

#14 Mar 6, 2008
Going Broke wrote:
"Steiger said the Health Department would not release the legal opinion on which it decided the smoking performances violated the ban".
It would be wise for the Health Department to release the legal opinion basis. They will be required to release it if an enterprising reporter make a Freedom of Information Act claim against the department. To bad objective reporting is no longer the standard.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to key in on this. They want to say they have a legal opinion but they don't want to quote or release it? Hrm? Sounds awful fishy to me. Next they'll be arresting people on the street and not telling them why.
Fishing_guy

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 6, 2008
Now that city councils are deciding what art is, I will be witholding my support of the outdoors and arts amendment this fall.

When a government can't answer to the people, then it is time for a change.

Ely, Minnesota

#16 Mar 6, 2008
I love the smoking ban. I supported it while being drafted, and I support full inforcment. Those out there that blame everything from your inability to controll your "habit", to your inability to be a responsable patron of your local hang-out, can stick it! If your local bars are loosing money over this, I guess your patrons are not as loyal as you thought aye? If they can`t go spend their money at your bar over a cigarette, they sure don`t give two hoots about you, and keeping you in business now do they? Yep, the smoking looser crowd just keeps crying in their soup...LOL
William Walace

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Mar 6, 2008
Gordon Draves - I wonder what anti-smoking groups funded the studies.
Carl - Don't worry, fat people are in thier sights already, it won't be long.

I really don't want or need the State or Federal government to take care of me, I have done quite well for the last 60 years or so.
Curious

Plymouth, MN

#18 Mar 6, 2008
What I want to know is, can my favorite stripper smoke while she entertains me with her art form?
Or are all performances equal but some are more equal than others?
Tax This

Bemidji, MN

#19 Mar 6, 2008
It would be funny if the wholesalers stopped selling tobacco in the state of MN for a month to protest the overlords.
STOP THE MADNESS

Eden Prairie, MN

#20 Mar 6, 2008
THIS SMOKING BAND IS JUST THE FIRST STEP IN THE GOVERMENT TAKING OVER OUR LIFES. IT NEED TO STOP.
i THINK WE SHOULD HAVE SMOKING BARS AND NO SMOKING BARS. THAT WAY IF YOU SMOKE AND WANT TO DO SO WHILE YOU DRINK THEN YOU GO TO A SMOKING BAR AND VISE VERSA FOR THE NO SMOKERS THAT WAY YOU MAKE THE CHOICE NOT THE GOVERMENT. STOP THE MADNESS.

“Karaoke & DJ”

Rosemount, MN

#21 Mar 6, 2008
Tax This wrote:
It would be funny if the wholesalers stopped selling tobacco in the state of MN for a month to protest the overlords.
I would gladly head to another state to buy my smokes for a day or two, perhaps even a week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sanne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Egypt denies 8 US nonprofit groups license to o... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Jeff Brightone 4
News Brett Michaels Is Not Apologizing (Feb '10) Feb '10 XXX 2
News Report: More Somali kids in Minneapolis' presch... (Apr '09) Apr '09 ThaLeena 2
More from around the web