Mixed blessing

Mixed blessing

There are 30 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 25, 2007, titled Mixed blessing. In it, Newsday reports that:

Christine Campbell , the attractive but bumbling title character of CBS' "The New Adventures of Old Christine," and Daniel Harris , who teaches a predominantly white fourth grade, eye each other hungrily when ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Adam S

United States

#1 Feb 26, 2007
Unlike what is portrayed on television, most inter-racial relationships are no longer white/black.

RTF

“Cactus?”

Since: Dec 06

Long Island, NY

#2 Feb 26, 2007
I had an interracial relationship once. I was the human.
PerfectBooty

West Hempstead, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2007
Whites need to stay in their own race, just like blacks. This is coming from a Black woman who believes that race mixing is wrong and causes nothing but problems from both sides.
FORMER LIer

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 Feb 26, 2007
PerfectBooty wrote:
Whites need to stay in their own race, just like blacks. This is coming from a Black woman who believes that race mixing is wrong and causes nothing but problems from both sides.
When I say I agree with you..its not because I dislike Blacks or any other group..I'm agreeing with You because of the Kids of these relationships. Their the ones who catch Hell.
PerfectBooty

West Hempstead, NY

#5 Feb 26, 2007
FORMER LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
When I say I agree with you..its not because I dislike Blacks or any other group..I'm agreeing with You because of the Kids of these relationships. Their the ones who catch Hell.
Exactly I have mixed bred men approaching me saying their black but they're not,they are half breds, and they are confused about where they belong.
FORMER LIer

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Feb 26, 2007
PerfectBooty wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly I have mixed bred men approaching me saying their black but they're not,they are half breds, and they are confused about where they belong.
Good than..we're on the same sheet of music.
Kenn Beck

Yaphank, NY

#7 Feb 26, 2007
I am completely flabbergasted by this turn of events. I myself have always attempted to keep an open mind about people of different ethnic backgrounds, despite having some less-than-tolerant influences in my early life. I have spent my life learning that, despite what I've been told at an early age, people should be viewed by the content of their character, not by their color, religion, sexual preference, or politics. I judge people based solely on two factors; their character and their intelligence.

So after years of training my mind to ignore what the racists around me have been preaching, am I to understand that racial equality is NOT to be expressed in our television?

I am an avid fan of Heroes. Jeph Loeb is a talented writer, and I am familiar with his work from a host of comic books from Marvel and DC Comics. When I began to watch this eagerly anticipated show, I can honestly say that in seeing Tawny Cypress' relationships with both Santiago Cabrera and Milo Ventimiglia, I never noticed that they were interracial couples until I read Greg Braxton's article in today's Newsday. I KNEW they were interracial, but I never NOTICED it until someone made a big deal out of it. And isn't that the point behind the entire conflict that has been raging in America since the days of the Civil War? Non-white people have been trying for DECADES to be recognized as equals, to live in a world where people are not judged by the color of their skin. Loeb portrays this; he shows us not one, but TWO interracial couples (Ali Larter and Leonard Roberts being the second, and REALLY, it's two and a half if you consider that Tawny's character dates TWO people outside her own race) that exist without racial stigma, and now Broxton has a problem because he's not waiving a flag REMINDING us that they're interracial?

When is it enough? I fear very much for the future of race relations when someone like Jeph Loeb attempts to show all races as being equal and is scolded because he doesn't show the "realism" of racial tension.

Note to Greg Braxton; this is a show in which a man can paint the future. This is a show in which a man who can manipulate space and time by squinting really hard. This is a show in which a girl can survive her own autopsy, slap her chest back together and watch the skin knit itself back together. You're upset because it glosses over the realistic struggles interracial couples endure? But I guess it's okay that Adrian Pasdar can fly? Hey, Lost doesn't accurately portray the struggles that people stranded on deserted islands have to endure, but then again, if it did, I probably wouldn't watch it.

I think you need to pick your battles a little better. It's TELEVISION. Entertainment. Fiction. Use your own super powers of writing to do something worthwhile. You are worried about the right cause, but picking the absolute wrong angle of attack. There is so much more wrong in the world than a writer trying to show a world that doesn't deliniate by color.

Eventually, White American Males like myself will be the minority in this country, and I am okay with that. It's part of the price we pay for being the home of the free. But when that happens, will there be provisions that companies have to hire a certain percentage of white people? Will NFL teams and NCAA college athletic programs be required to interview white coaching candidates? Will there be a white history month? Probably not, and there shouldn't be.

Because things like that are RACIST. So long as they exist, and so long as there are people like you to rattle everyone's cages, there will never be racial equality, no matter how much Jeph Loeb* or myself wish there was.

Kenn Beck

*The views expressed in this opinion piece do not necessarily reflect those of Jeph Loeb. I don't know Mr. Loeb, but I'm sure he's a very nice guy on top of being a great writer.:)
Jet55

New York, NY

#8 Feb 26, 2007
Why do you never see a white man in a relationship with a black woman. The very voices who champion white-black relationships only do so when it's a black male with a white woman.Is there a taboo with this? And if there is too bad.Show both sides of the attraction, if it insults the way blacks percieve it, hey, you can't have it both ways.
RACISM

United States

#9 Feb 26, 2007
is alive and well and festering here in America.

SAD!

Jesus is the way to go!

The way of love and harmony!
Jeni

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Feb 26, 2007
For the first time today I saw a white man with a black woman in my OB/GYN office. Ive never seen such a pair in real life, and it was... interesting. They both seemed like nice people, too.
I am however, against the mixing of races. i just see it being a big confusing mess for the families and any children who are or will be involved.
PerfectBooty

West Hempstead, NY

#11 Feb 26, 2007
Jet55 wrote:
Why do you never see a white man in a relationship with a black woman. The very voices who champion white-black relationships only do so when it's a black male with a white woman.Is there a taboo with this? And if there is too bad.Show both sides of the attraction, if it insults the way blacks percieve it, hey, you can't have it both ways.
The reason you hardly ever see black woman and white man on television programs because alot of black actress what ot stay pro-black and not be seen as a sale-out to their race while black actors see a part to sleep with a white woman as a positive career move. Take Wesley Snipes in "Jungle Fever" where he played a Educated man with a beautiful family, that put it all on the line to sleep with a white woman. After that movie he was a household name and was embraced by Hollywood and the black male community. But Halle Berry slept with a white man in "Monster Ball" and was called a sale out, and white washed. THERE IS A DOUBLE STANDARD
Different Colors

New York, NY

#12 Feb 26, 2007
Stop pushing the black male and white female as the ideal interracial couple. There are plenty of other races (asian, middle-eastern,Latin). If you really want to be fair and eduacate people about interracial relationships, then pair other races & sexes together on TV.
Aimee

New York, NY

#13 Feb 26, 2007
Ok, to all of you against racial mixing...grow up and stop the "the kids will suffer"...I am a 32 year old woman in an interracial marriage for 6 years (together for 11 years) and we have two beautiful daughters. And guess what...they are and will be fine so long as they are raised with the confidence that being biracial is a good thing (it would also help if they never came a cross people like you!)...BUT I am realistic and know there are people like you around every corner...ignorance breeds ignorance...so as they grow, I will teach them to be proud of themselves not look to be pigeon holed into one race...and to answer people like you..."Well, I'd rather be half black...or half white then half stupid like yourself"...Whether you are black or white reading this...just remember one thing...just learn to love yourself and the anger you have for those who may be diffrent will not exist...it's called envy...jealous...fear of thinking outside the box!!
J-Man

Somers, NY

#14 Feb 26, 2007
PerfectBooty wrote:
<quoted text> The reason you hardly ever see black woman and white man on television programs because alot of black actress what ot stay pro-black and not be seen as a sale-out to their race while black actors see a part to sleep with a white woman as a positive career move. Take Wesley Snipes in "Jungle Fever" where he played a Educated man with a beautiful family, that put it all on the line to sleep with a white woman. After that movie he was a household name and was embraced by Hollywood and the black male community. But Halle Berry slept with a white man in "Monster Ball" and was called a sale out, and white washed. THERE IS A DOUBLE STANDARD
In my opinion the reason why you never see a white man with a black woman is because of the stereotypes that have evolved mostly from the media. The white-male stereotype is a guy who is nerdy, can't dance, is awkward, is not good in bed/small penis, and is just plain not cool. The black male stereotype is ofcourse the opposite. With the women, Black women are stereotyped as strong, opinionated, outgoing, but most of all- with great self-esteem. White women are portrayed as weak with no self-esteem. So if those stereotypes were true, which they definitely aren't, then no women would want to be with a white man, whether the woman was white or black, strong or weak.

RTF

“Cactus?”

Since: Dec 06

Long Island, NY

#15 Feb 26, 2007
FORMER LIer wrote:
<quoted text>
When I say I agree with you..its not because I dislike Blacks or any other group..I'm agreeing with You because of the Kids of these relationships. Their the ones who catch Hell.
PerfectBooty wrote:
<quoted text> Exactly I have mixed bred men approaching me saying their black but they're not,they are half breds, and they are confused about where they belong.
Get a room, you two.
Frank

King Of Prussia, PA

#16 Feb 26, 2007
Adam S wrote:
Unlike what is portrayed on television, most inter-racial relationships are no longer white/black.
What are they? blue/green?
Mustafa

King Of Prussia, PA

#17 Feb 26, 2007
Adam S wrote:
Unlike what is portrayed on television, most inter-racial relationships are no longer white/black.
Why did you put white before black? Are we a racist? You don't say "his message was right there in white & black" do you? Maybe you had a white & black T.V. before your family stole their first color t.v.?
PerfectBooty

West Hempstead, NY

#18 Feb 26, 2007
Aimee wrote:
Ok, to all of you against racial mixing...grow up and stop the "the kids will suffer"...I am a 32 year old woman in an interracial marriage for 6 years (together for 11 years) and we have two beautiful daughters. And guess what...they are and will be fine so long as they are raised with the confidence that being biracial is a good thing (it would also help if they never came a cross people like you!)...BUT I am realistic and know there are people like you around every corner...ignorance breeds ignorance...so as they grow, I will teach them to be proud of themselves not look to be pigeon holed into one race...and to answer people like you..."Well, I'd rather be half black...or half white then half stupid like yourself"...Whether you are black or white reading this...just remember one thing...just learn to love yourself and the anger you have for those who may be diffrent will not exist...it's called envy...jealous...fear of thinking outside the box!!
As a young woman of color who lives in the real world and who experience racial hate from whites, and black I am fully aware of how people see mixed breed and it will only get worst as time goes on. The race war is coming.
Aimee

Neptune, NJ

#19 Feb 26, 2007
PerfectBooty wrote:
<quoted text> As a young woman of color who lives in the real world and who experience racial hate from whites, and black I am fully aware of how people see mixed breed and it will only get worst as time goes on. The race war is coming.
I am sure the "real world" you live in is very similar to mine...considering we live in the same world...in facted based on where you live...we do not live too far away from one another and yet it's a shame you and I see things so differently. Sure racism exists...on all levels...you don't think I haven't experienced the so called reverse discrimination? We all have on some level...it's the evil in this world that unfortunately was here before us and will be here long after us. Professionallly, I am a social worker and have been around many, many different people...but you know people are people. Sure you are black and I am white but by the end of the day...we are both people...don't sell yourself short and judge a book by it's cover...you will miss out on meeting a lot of nice, real people. Take my daughters that you insist on calling a mixed breed...that's is a term for a dog...not a person...you are doing to them what you say is done to you with "whites"...Here's the thing...I would look at you and think...ok a girl, young, black...and move on...the same for any person...you would look at me and my childrens and think what? Mixed breed kids, she took a black man and even to my husband...sell out, right? Wrong...we are just like you...trust me when I tell you there is more to a biracial person then being mislabeled by you as a mixed breed...think about it...listen I wish there was something I could say to you that would change your view...but I can't...just like you can't avoid evil people in the world...I can just hope you will run into to someone like myself or my children one day...even my husband and realize...hey, maybe she was right...
Ryan

Teaneck, NJ

#22 Feb 26, 2007
Why is the liberal media always trying to PERPETUATE racism and biggotry. Isn't it good that these couples are shown just operating as couples and not in a movie-of-the-week mentality. The writer of this story obviously has a problem with interracial couples if that's all she can point out. What a hack!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sandra Oh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Grey's Anatomy' finale: A kidnapping! A massiv... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Rick 1
News Grey's Anatomy is 10 years old! Here are the bi... (Mar '15) Mar '15 jeronimojackson 1
Sandra Oh nude ! (May '11) Nov '12 Anonymous 3
News &#x93;Grey&#x92;s Anatomy&#x94;:... (Jan '12) Jan '12 Kathwynn 4
News 'Grey's Anatomy' abortion reaction? 'Quiet' (Sep '11) Oct '11 Kathwynn 35
News Sandra Oh living 'green' (Apr '10) Apr '10 nice 1
News 'Grey's' Anatomy Stars on Emmy Noms & 'Grey's' ... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Truth Be Known 1
More from around the web