Boniva is Poison
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
jeena

Keyport, NJ

#1 Oct 27, 2006
Sally Field should stop advertising Boniva, a dangerous drug that acts as an inhibitor of bone resorbtion, so what you have is a lot of old bone, which on a DEXA test may look just great but will not stop you breaking your bones should you fall. Also, there is the danger of jaw bone death, digestive problems, muscle aches, joint pain, vision problems and other side effects. Dentists are refusing to pull teeth of patients who are on Boniva and other drugs in the same class like Fosomax and Actonel.
Sally, ruin your own body if you will, but don't influence other women to destroy their health with Boniva.
Penny

Spokane, WA

#2 Dec 12, 2006
You are right, Boniva is poison. I just ran across http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings.asp... where 175 people rated it the lowest score. Most suffered from bone and joint pain. I was about to take my fourth dose, when I found this site. I would never had known the pain I've been going through was because of Boniva. Today I am hobbling around like an old lady. My life is not my own. I need to finish my Christmas shopping, but I'm in too much pain. I am very angry. I wrote the company who makes it and the FDA. I hope it does some good, but I am not holding my breath.
jeena

Keyport, NJ

#3 Dec 29, 2006
Penny wrote:
You are right, Boniva is poison. I just ran across http://www.askapatient.com/viewratings.asp... where 175 people rated it the lowest score. Most suffered from bone and joint pain. I was about to take my fourth dose, when I found this site. I would never had known the pain I've been going through was because of Boniva. Today I am hobbling around like an old lady. My life is not my own. I need to finish my Christmas shopping, but I'm in too much pain. I am very angry. I wrote the company who makes it and the FDA. I hope it does some good, but I am not holding my breath.
I have been on the web-site you are referring to several times, and another good one is healthboards.com . Yesterday my 75 year old Mom went to her doctor and he asked her why she isn't on Fosomax, I was so upset, my mom doesn't even have osteopenia, I saw her DEXA scan, her bones are in great shape, better than mine are and I am twenty years younger than her.

I am sorry you are in discomfort, I'm glad you stopped taking Boniva. My doctor wrote out a prescription for Actonel because I have osteopenia and I threw it away. I buy a calcium supplement called E-zorb which I order on-line, I learned about it on health boards.com . The osteopenia in my spine reversed back to normal after I took E-zorb for three months, but my hip stayed the same, at -2.4 which is osteopenia.
I think the hip needs weight bearing exercise in addition to calcium supplements, so I joined the gym.
A good book to read is The Bone Density Diet, it has a wealth of information on nutrition, exercise, and supplementation to take to combat osteoporosis.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Concerned Husband

Longview, TX

#4 Mar 6, 2007
My wife was prescribed boniva today and before she took it I found this site online. At $90 per pill you would think it would be benificial to someone other that just Glaxosmithkline. Anyway I thank the research you all have done, you have saved her a terrible experience. She is 4 years post menopause and has no bone problems, but high risk (being Asian) to Osteoperosis and that is a terrible solution to a problem that has not happened yet. So we are keeping her on Calcium. Thanks again. From both of us and best health to all.
Rachel

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2007
Read patient reports about Boniva side effects here:

http://drugs.healthdiaries.com/boniva-side-ef...

It appears a lot of people are getting debilitating bone pain with this drug.
Kim Freeman

Easton, PA

#6 Oct 14, 2007
Boniva is part of the drug classification known as "bisphosphonates". The source(hold onto your hats!) is derived from a waste product produced by the phosphate and metal factories.
When they clean the smoke stacks, a "liquor" of deadly fluorides, uranium,heavy toxic metals are obtained. This substance is biohazardous class "A" industrial waste. It dos not get magically converted or cleaned into a safe formulary either people. It REMAINS TOXIC to the very end of production where it reaches the duped consumer.
The same substance is also used for Rodenticide, Herbicide, Industrial Cleaners, and the deadly nerve gas SARIN is made from those ingredients!!
It was a sinister plan to save Global Manufacturers mega dollars and dupe the unsuspecting lazy public into paying for the stuff instead of the companies properly disposing of it which costs them money.The fluoride and metals cause damage to the body beginning on a CELLULAR level!
The bisphosphonate fluoride steals calcium, potassium, sodium from the cells leaving them dehydrated. Then the impaired cells cause damage to the limbic system, damaging the brain.It impairs the hypothalmus, the pituitary and other areas of the brain.
It supresses and damages the adrenal glands which are responsible for secondary estrogen and progesterone production i the female species of causing adrenal exhaustion, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, PMS, depression,water retention.By supressing the adrenals, the calcium/magnesium/potassium balance is altered as well as supressing Cortisol which is produced by the Adrenals and is vital for stable blood glucose levels,clarity,normal sleep patterns,sexual functional, intelligence-particularily the area of the brain that governs agression and self-preservation.
Lots more I have researched but the bottom line is if a medicine has a DISCLAIMER, don't take it! Also, the FDA NEVER approved fluoride as a drug as it is classified as an "A" poison used for killing things!!! Fluoride has NEVER been proven to help your teeth either!!! This is a 60 year-old lie perpetuated by the government to get rid of mass stores of fluoride/uranium/metal waste from A bomb production. It was also discovered to have a depressive effect on the brain and CNS which makes people subservient,docile, febrile minded.
Yes, that's right! There is a document from the EPA that states there are NO real findings that fluoride is good for your teeth!! A member of the American Dental Association was pressured and paid of to say it was good for your teeth.Any clinical findings have been proven fraudulent.
Even worse,people were poisoned as patients in a Rochester NY hospital when our government secretly gave them fluoride in their IV then took their blood and tissue samples. This is what is known as the Manhattan Project and it is part of our Governments heinous history!!! They began fluoridating the tap water right AFTER they learned of fluorides affect on the human body and more importantly-THE MIND!!!
I am preparing a report to present to our Water Authority and local residents with news media invited and demand they STOP FLUORIDATING US!!!

mopar

Ann Arbor, MI

#7 Dec 26, 2007
While I am appalled to read how Boniva is manufactured, I am not surprised. In fact, it only urges me all the more to search for the answer to a very important question that I have. I don't know who will be able to answer the question. I will be speaking to my physician soon and will pose this to him as well, but I'm not so sure this will get the attention it deserves.

I am a two-time ovarian cancer survivor, the last episode in 2006. I am (or at least 'was) currently healthy by all accounts - CT scans, exams, and lab work which consists of CA125, the ovarian cancer antigen marker. From July 2006 thru October 2007 it had been in the 8-12 range on a monthly basis, and stable there. Then on December 5 the blood test skyrocketed to 27! Not good! While this is only a marker and is not a complete diagnostic tool, it always has been very 'telling' for my particular case. Consquently, you can imagine I am concerned. My doctor has asked me to repeat the test in January.

While the CA125 can fluctuate for a variety of reasons, this is indeed an extreme spike. Then it occurred to me I had taken one dose of monthly Boniva in mid-October. In a matter of hours I was feeling horrible - headache, body aches, flu-like symptoms. Within another hour or two I was in extreme pain - chest pain, bone and joint pain, back pain, head pain, rapid heart rate, etc., etc. I contacted the pharmacist who simple said,'call your doctor in the morning'. I left a message for my physician. A few days later, the symptoms were not subsiding so I called the pharmeceutical company. They seemed concerned and took all the information down. I told them that the most accurate way for me to describe the affects I was having, was to compare it to when I was going through chemotherapy. They agreed that apparently I am not a candidate for Boniva and suggested I call the doctor again. Everything was documented, and when I saw my physician I told him that I will give the pharmeceutical company permission to contact him and get more information regarding my health history, etc.

These affects lasted about 10 days. But now I am concerned that it has caused a lot more than 'side affects'. I have been researching this for the past several days. Most of the information is very vague, and not conclusive. If anyone has reliable information for me, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!
Liz

Providence, RI

#8 Jan 18, 2008
I took Boniva 1 year ago and I will never be the same. I have been having so much pain in my teeth,gums and jaw it is not funny. I am terrified to go the dentist because what I have read about the jaw bone death I have all the symptoms and it says not to have teeth extracted. My teeth are breaking and so much pain comes with it. I can't sleep at night and live on advil. What a poison med this is should be outlawed
mopar

Ann Arbor, MI

#9 Jan 26, 2008
Liz:
I'm so sorry to hear of your ongong reaction to this medication. I would definitely get this all documented and seek some assistance. There are quite a few law suits going on. But more importantly, you need to get some relief and consult with a doctor. Please let us know how it's going. I wish you well.
Cindy

United States

#10 Feb 3, 2008
I have taken Boniva for over 1 year and I had NO idea the joint and muscle pain was associated with Boniva! Can someone please tell me how long this drug will stay in your system? My biggest fear is that I won't ever have the energy and dexterity I had before I took it!
mopar

Ann Arbor, MI

#11 Feb 4, 2008
Sorry, Cindy, I can't say for sure. But I believe if you have taken Boniva for a year it will take a very long time for it to subside. Those 'side affects' were supposed to have gone away after you took several dosages. I would call the number of the pharmaceutical company, probably somewhere in the package insert, or go on line. Tell them your symptoms and see what they say. Have you talked to your doctor? I wish you the best.
Sharon

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2008
I visited my GYN and an endocrinologist for testing. I have crossed over to Osteoporosis. I am 63, excercise daily, am very active, and take calcium plus D. They wanted to me to on the Boniva IV immediately. I have had major reservations. I have GERD and try to be very careful about what I take. Does anybody have suggestions as to what I might do instead? I am not going to begin the treatment.
mopar

Detroit, MI

#13 Feb 14, 2008
Sharon:
While I haven't been specifically diagnosed with osteoperosis, my doctor wanted me to take the Boniva because of a 'slight decrease' in bone density. I'm sure you read my previous post, so I won't elaborate. But, I am 53, also very active, focusing on weight bearing exercise, have a good nutritional profile and take supplements, including calcium/magnesium/D. I too am looking for a 'better' calcium supplement and suggest that you visit a website for 'Life Extension' products. You need not purchase their products, but just browse the ingredients of their calcium supplements. In addition to being sure you are using the right type of calcium, it is now agreed that other elements, such as Boron can be vital to absorption and enhancement of calcium. So, since what we have been taking hasn't been enough, seems like both you and I are on a search for the next step up

I just called the manufacturer of Boniva the other day (again) to let them know that my CA125 (cancer antigen marker) skyrocketed after taking Boniva. Apparently, my doctor still hasn't responded to their questionnaire, so I wanted them to know that we believe it was definitely a detriment to me, and to investigate further.

I wish you the best. And I hope that you stand firm on your decision to avoid the Boniva all together.

God's health to you!
BarbF

Spring Valley, IL

#14 Feb 26, 2008
I am a stage IV ovarian cancer survivor. I just read Mopar's post about Boniva. My doctor just prescribed it yesterday for osteoporosis. I was doing research and ran across your blog post. My CA 125 has been below 12 for four years.I want it to stay that way. After reading a lot of horror stories on Boniva, I do not think I want to try it. Let me know what you find out. Thank you for your post.
RosalieM

San Francisco, CA

#15 Mar 7, 2008
I've been reading a lot of posts about adverse reactions to Boniva. I started taking it a few years ago and just threw out my next dose. I began feeling weak and tired about a year ago for no reason. I felt like I did after walking for 7 miles, without exertion. The fatigue is subsiding.
I think Boniva may have been aggravating my insomnia and nervousness. I'm quitting while I'm ahead and as for the doctors who give me requests to come in for an office visit before renewing my prescription.......well, they can keep their prescription. I'm looking into natural alternatives.
lisa

AOL

#16 Mar 11, 2008
Boniva ruined my life.... I can not believe what is happening to me.... i took my last dose in January 17... Then i made the connection... This crap needs to be taken off the market... i feel like my days are numbered! i want my life back...Do not take any of these drugs... Take your calcuim and d.... Eat lots of kale and broccoli...
mopar

Detroit, MI

#17 Mar 12, 2008
I knew that once this info was out there, we would hear from more women who have had bad experiences with Boniva. I'm just so sorry to hear that there are so many - one is even too much! I would urge all of you to call the pharmeceutical company. They will open up a case file and ask you some questions. They may even call you again to verify information and send out a form to authorize your doctor to release information regarding your situation. That's why I would talk to your doctor about it as well.

The more people that bring this to everyone's attention, the better the chances that we can prevent this from happening to others. The FDA is supposed to be looking out for our best interests. Let's call them on it and see if they will do the right thing and recall this drug.

My best to all of you - I pray you all get better and that your quality of life improves.

P.S. A word of caution - Actonel is the same type of compound as Boniva. So if anyone suggests this drug to you, be aware that you will probably have the same type of reaction as you did with Boniva.
Gin

United States

#18 Apr 26, 2008
I have been taking Boniva for not quite 2 years. As of six months ago I have had swollen vocal cords. DO you think it could be from Boniva? My Dr has scoped me to see what is going on. She repeatedly asks if I have had heart burn, but I have not., I have very little sinus drainage I have had severe pain in my neck, low head, my orthopedic Dr says it is from arthritis. My one shoulder is getting bad again after arthroscopic surgery 6 years ago. I do not think this is from the drug. I am better after have cortisone shots and taken muscle relaxants.
Any help you could give me would be apreciated. Thank you, Gin
mopar

Detroit, MI

#19 Apr 27, 2008
Gin:
I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for certain. But I do know that Boniva causes an inflammatory process. That would send up a red flag to me regarding your 'arthritis and pain' symptoms. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stop taking it. It will, however, take a very long time for this drug to leave your body, so it would be probably be a long wait to see results. I spoke to my family doctor last week who also is against Boniva and similar drugs. I've had more than enough confirmation from other sources of it's potentially harmful effects, so hearing him say that really solidified my position.

My best to you and here's hoping that you get your questions answered soon.

Monika
Gin

Boca Raton, FL

#20 Apr 29, 2008
mopar wrote:
Gin:
I'm not a doctor, so I can't say for certain. But I do know that Boniva causes an inflammatory process. That would send up a red flag to me regarding your 'arthritis and pain' symptoms. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stop taking it. It will, however, take a very long time for this drug to leave your body, so it would be probably be a long wait to see results. I spoke to my family doctor last week who also is against Boniva and similar drugs. I've had more than enough confirmation from other sources of it's potentially harmful effects, so hearing him say that really solidified my position.
My best to you and here's hoping that you get your questions answered soon.
Monika
Thank you for your imput. Gin

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sally Field Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Gidget broke the rules in '60s TV (Aug '14) Aug '14 Gidget 1
News Powerful, low-key Obama aide speaks out (Apr '14) Apr '14 Chuy 1
News Today In Entertainment History September 7 (Sep '11) Apr '14 Jack 5
Sally Field nude ! (Apr '11) Mar '14 amw 3
News Sally Field shares her pride as a mother of her... (Nov '12) Nov '13 Gremlin 6
News And the best picture Oscar goeszzzzzzzzz... (Feb '13) Mar '13 siskel 4
News Schwarzenegger shifts attention back to movie c... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Bart 1
More from around the web