Rupert Murdoch And Rebekah Brooks Summoned By UK Parliament To Address Hacking Scandal

Jul 12, 2011 Read more: www.huffingtonpost.com 14

Rupert Murdoch was summoned by the British Parliament committee investigating his hacking scandal to testify on Tuesday--but it's not clear whether he will turn up.

Louise Mensch, a Conservative member of Parliament, announced on Twitter that Murdoch, his son James and News International chief Rebekah Brooks have all been summoned to appear before the Select Committee of the Department of Media, Culture and Sport (the government cabinet department responsible for the press.)

Read more

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#1 Jul 12, 2011
I'm sure a very thorough and complete investigation will be conducted. I'm equally sure that only a few of the security breaches will be made public. Then, all effected parties & gov'ts involved will reassure everyone that the breaches have been addressed and rectified.
lol
Pound_Puppy

Akron, OH

#2 Jul 12, 2011
Let's face it, Murdock OWNS the Parliament through lies and intimidation, just like he would like to own the US Congress and even the Presidency. Murdock has too much power at his command through News Corp and he is not afraid to wield it whenever it suits his purpose.
true

Moneta, VA

#3 Jul 12, 2011
Sounds like soeros is out for revenge

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#4 Jul 12, 2011
true wrote:
Sounds like soeros is out for revenge
Revenge?
Too human an emotion. More likely, just moving his chess pieces.
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#5 Jul 12, 2011
Pound_Puppy wrote:
Let's face it, Murdock OWNS the Parliament through lies and intimidation, just like he would like to own the US Congress and even the Presidency. Murdock has too much power at his command through News Corp and he is not afraid to wield it whenever it suits his purpose.
You think murdoch has more of an influence on UK politics than he does on US?

Would you by any chance be a republican? One who is perhaps in denial?

If he shut down fox news then the American political climate would be very different indeed. 24 hour propoganda for one party has an immense effect on the public.
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

#6 Jul 12, 2011
Take a look at the Advertisers on Fox News and let them know your disgust at supporting this morally corrupt organization. Hacking voicemails of 9/11 victims? What else have they been up to???
Pound_Puppy

Akron, OH

#7 Jul 13, 2011
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
If he shut down fox news then the American political climate would be very different indeed. 24 hour propoganda for one party has an immense effect on the public.
Yes, I think that Murdoch has more influence on UK politics than on US. The reason I say this is because the UK printed medium is less restrained (by convention) in what they print than is the US printed medium. For instance, I am not aware of any legitimate US newspaper or scandal rag that routinely published topless pictures of women as in done in the UK. Perhaps itís our Puritanical heritage.

Murdoch may not actually own politicians, but, from what I understand, NOTW set the tone for a lot of the scandal rags. For instance, it has been reported that NOTW (and its ilk) was not above photoshopping the faces of MP's and other politicians or members of their family into compromising or risquť photos and then using them to literally blackmail the affected politicians into taking positions that the editors of the rags want them to take. Yes, it happens here (Iím thinking OíKeefe and Breitbart), but they are not legitimate journalists.

I have no party affiliation. I live for the day when Faux News goes off the air and I rejoiced when first Olbermann and then Beck went away (although, I still get Olbermann podcasts). What I am sick of with all media in this country is that they present opinion as fact. I just want the unbiased facts so that I can decide for myself. Thatís why I prefer NPR and the BBC.
Pound_Puppy

Akron, OH

#8 Jul 13, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
Take a look at the Advertisers on Fox News and let them know your disgust at supporting this morally corrupt organization. Hacking voicemails of 9/11 victims? What else have they been up to???
Media Matters is currently running such a campaign. It succeeded with Beck.
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

#9 Jul 13, 2011
Pound_Puppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Media Matters is currently running such a campaign. It succeeded with Beck.
Thanks for the info. For others who are interested, checkout http://www.dropfox.com
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#10 Jul 13, 2011
Pound_Puppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I think that Murdoch has more influence on UK politics than on US. The reason I say this is because the UK printed medium is less restrained (by convention) in what they print than is the US printed medium. For instance, I am not aware of any legitimate US newspaper or scandal rag that routinely published topless pictures of women as in done in the UK. Perhaps itís our Puritanical heritage.
Murdoch may not actually own politicians, but, from what I understand, NOTW set the tone for a lot of the scandal rags. For instance, it has been reported that NOTW (and its ilk) was not above photoshopping the faces of MP's and other politicians or members of their family into compromising or risquť photos and then using them to literally blackmail the affected politicians into taking positions that the editors of the rags want them to take. Yes, it happens here (Iím thinking OíKeefe and Breitbart), but they are not legitimate journalists.
I have no party affiliation. I live for the day when Faux News goes off the air and I rejoiced when first Olbermann and then Beck went away (although, I still get Olbermann podcasts). What I am sick of with all media in this country is that they present opinion as fact. I just want the unbiased facts so that I can decide for myself. Thatís why I prefer NPR and the BBC.
The UK doesn't have the same aversion to nudity that the US does. Tits in newpapers hardly denotes a corrupt political system controlled by newspapers.

Apparently you also think as well as our system being run by a few newspaper editors that you have reason to believe they got their power by blackmailing politicians with photoshopped pictures.

DO you have anything whatsoever to base that claim on?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#11 Jul 14, 2011
Pound_Puppy wrote:
<quoted text>
Think again.

The opinons offered by FOX and other Murdoch organs as "news" has had such influnce here that as I write this to you, the majority in Congress is prepaired and planning to lead the USA into actual bankruptcy.

It was the emotional appeals to hate that elevated these new "tea-bag" Congressmen in the first place; appeals to hate and jingoism; heavilly promoted by Rupert Murdoch; and also his dishonest attacks on worthy opponants.

You are correct about your distrust of US news sources. I find them increasingley detached from reality, and progressivly more pandering to the least common denominator. The "contoversy": about the fact that our weather has drastically changed is a perfect example of that.

Our 'news' has become a vast wasteland, led by FOX and Murdoch's lock on "news" sources, both broadcast and print.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#12 Jul 14, 2011
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
Off this subjest, but what is the status of Scot independance?
I can read

Falkirk, UK

#13 Jul 14, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Off this subjest, but what is the status of Scot independance?
The Scottish national party finally has a large enough majority in the scottish parliamanet to call for a referendum.

AS yet they haven't done it, probably through the personal avirice of the SNP members. If Scotland gets independance then the SNP will become irrelevant as we'll need new political parties for our new government.

Hopefully we'll have the referendum withing a couple of years.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#14 Jul 14, 2011
I can read wrote:
<quoted text>
The Scottish national party finally has a large enough majority in the scottish parliamanet to call for a referendum.
AS yet they haven't done it, probably through the personal avirice of the SNP members. If Scotland gets independance then the SNP will become irrelevant as we'll need new political parties for our new government.
Hopefully we'll have the referendum withing a couple of years.
Thanks. All my best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rupert Murdoch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Commits Suicide Outside News Corp. Building Jan '15 Bujhi 2
News Celebrating 50 years of The Australian (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mothman 4
News Rupert Murdoch Calls Mike Bloomberg 'New York's... (Jan '12) Apr '14 hebron zionism 5
News Fox Biz Pushes Global Warming Denial on Sandy A... (Oct '13) Oct '13 SpaceBlues 2
News Rupert Murdoch: 'Doubtful' That Romney Will Bea... (Jul '12) Oct '13 swedenforever 13
News Australian PM Rudd battles Murdoch press (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mr Humbert 1
News Murdoch's split-up News Corp has wobbly first d... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Mr_Bill 4
More from around the web