Rapper lobbies N.J. lawmakers for ado...

Rapper lobbies N.J. lawmakers for adoption rights

There are 7 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 24, 2008, titled Rapper lobbies N.J. lawmakers for adoption rights. In it, Newsday reports that:

He became famous in the 1980s as the rapper DMC but came to the New Jersey Statehouse Thursday simply as Darryl McDaniels to ask lawmakers to give adoptees access to their birth records.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.


Grand Forks, ND

#1 Jan 24, 2008
Go Darryl! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

United States

#2 Jan 24, 2008
Great job! And, so happy to hear you're out of committee and on your way. This time will be IT! Thank you all!

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jan 24, 2008
Very moving testimony. The NJ Legislature has it online at


(fast forward to 10 minutes)

Monticello, AR

#4 Jan 24, 2008
Definitely great testimony by DMC, Adam Pertman and Debra Ellis.

Colton, CA

#5 Jan 25, 2008
Although this bill contains a contact veto in it allowing the natural parents to ommit their names, Adam Pertmans and DMC's testimonies were brilliant! NJ Right to life had a pathetic testimony, as did the gentlemen before her. j

There is no law or record of any first parent being promised confidentiality. NONE. The Evan B Donaldson Institute a research institute on adoption matters did the most recent and comprehensive study ever done on adoptees and our access to our records ( google Evan B Donaldson the study is downloadable from their website ) and it was a victory for adoptees, 95% of mothers and fathers separated from their children by adoption want contact. For the other 5% they can have contact preference forms. As the law stands there IS NO LAW giving parents who have surrendered their children by adoption, privacy. NONE. This law would give them a little, which I don't support.

As an adoptee, I deserve equality to non adopted persons as all adoptees do. Thank you to all who testified in our behalf, its a shame that they included the contact veto.

Bronx, NY

#6 Jan 25, 2008
He's got a point. NEver knowing our parents, we don't know our familial history of health, diseases or identity.

Luckily, I was adopted by a family member. Met my birth mother when I was 18. Have yet to meet her sperm donor....but wouldn't need to if I had access to records.

Since: Nov 07

Oskaloosa, KS

#7 Jan 26, 2008
I would like to thank everyone who lobbied on behalf of open records. This is a right that was taken from adoptees and this bill will restore it for the most part. I'm in favor of a "no contact" preference rather than a disclosure veto. As the law stands right now - an adoptee does not know how their parents will feel about being found.

Give us our information, let us know if and how you want to be contacted. And if your parents died young - that would be something your doctors would definitely want to know.

Gaye in Kansas - where original birth records were always available to adoptees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Run DMC Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Darryl McDaniels of Run-DMC on addiction, depre... Jul '16 TOBACCO ADDICTION 1
run dmc video filmed at bavarian film studios (Jan '09) Dec '15 Shawn sevy 4
News Salt-n-Pepa: back on the scene with new VH1 rea... (Jul '07) Aug '15 rebel111 7
News Give him a can of spray paint -- he'll give you... (Jul '09) May '15 audreyrivera 16
News The Secret Jewish History of Aerosmith (Nov '13) Nov '13 Lavina 2
News Pump it, spin it, rock it behind the turntables (Sep '08) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 11
News Michelle Obama Launching Hip-Hop Album (Aug '13) Aug '13 R U Kidding Me 1
More from around the web