Same-Sex Marriage Threatens Religious...

Same-Sex Marriage Threatens Religious Freedom According To Religious Leaders

There are 19 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from Jan 13, 2012, titled Same-Sex Marriage Threatens Religious Freedom According To Religious Leaders. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

A coalition of nearly 40 religious leaders has published an open letter that seeks to recast the battle against same-sex marriage as a fight on behalf of religious freedom.

Editor's note: This attempt at justification for denying legal same-sex marriage is a red herring argument. No place that currently has same-sex legal marriage forces any religious group to perform marriages they don't want to perform. And what about the freedom of those religious groups who want to perform legal same-sex marriages? Do they not count?

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 Jan 13, 2012
I agree with the editor.

No one's religious liberties are being impinged upon. This is just their way of justifying their impinging our rights.

“Greetings!”

Since: Dec 06

Tampa, FL

#2 Jan 13, 2012
What's amazing to me is this group's selective use of the biblical concepts of MORALITY and SIN.

I don't know any married gay couples or those wanting to get "married" arguing that they want their "same-sex marriage" to be the "Moral Equivalent" to opposite sex marriages. They DO however want the 3,600 local, state and federal rights and privileges that str8 marriages get automatically.

And, their point about adoption agencies being forced to place children in same-sex families left out ONE HUGE POINT! They were told to place those children because they were taking TAXPAYERS DOLLARS as a service provider for the state. So, yes, if you want to continue being a state-subsidized adoption agency, then you can't discriminate based on sexual orientation. But, given the fact that if they DID THAT they would be OUT OF BUSINESS because the state funds are what kept the doors open!

You can be a bigot all you want...just don't be taking tax dollars!

The bottom line is that these "religious leaders" are now faced with 2 realities: 1) the majority of Americans now support gay marriage (and those in the population who vehemently oppose gay marriage are dieing quickly...so it's simple math) and 2) the argument has morphed from just a "civil rights" issue to a LOVE issue!

You see, when a priest sees a same sex couple who stand publicly and declare their love - that priest can't make the argument that their love is a lie, an illusion, an illness.

When you humanize an issue, like gay marriage, your argument falls on deaf ears!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Jan 13, 2012
What a bunch of MORONS! They're the ones battering religious freedom. Their freedom ends where my freedom begins: halfway the distance
.
If the only thing these 40 preachers have left to do is 'orgasm police'; then their job on the earth is finished and they need to get their sorry homophobic as$es in the unemployment line
.
Peace at Last

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 Jan 13, 2012
Lies, lies, and more lies.

from the article, "allowing same-sex couples to marry would wind up 'forcing or pressuring both individuals and religious organizations -- throughout their operations, well beyond religious ceremonies -- to treat same-sex sexual conduct as the moral equivalent of marital sexual conduct.'"

What they really mean is, "If people get the idea that gay people aren't the demons we make them out to be, we won't be able to make as much MONEY off of them as we currently do by demonizing and spreading lies about them. How will we pay our bills???"

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies.

“IMHO....”

Since: Jan 08

Here and there

#5 Jan 13, 2012
They're not "free" to do things with goats, chickens, or children, either. So many religious liberties at stake here! Unfortunately, they are still "free" to not pay any taxes.

They're not just attempting to recast their bigotry, they're trying to redefine what "freedom" and "liberty" mean, and that's how this needs to be turned back around on them, post haste.

They simply cannot be allowed to hijack America - we need a Flight 93 approach to these self-absorbed pricks.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Jan 13, 2012
Yet they would deny those religions who support marriage equality to not be able to have their freedom. The only thing they are trying to protect is their ability to turn there bigotry into discrimination.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#7 Jan 13, 2012
eJohn wrote:
Lies, lies, and more lies.
from the article, "allowing same-sex couples to marry would wind up 'forcing or pressuring both individuals and religious organizations -- throughout their operations, well beyond religious ceremonies -- to treat same-sex sexual conduct as the moral equivalent of marital sexual conduct.'"
What they really mean is, "If people get the idea that gay people aren't the demons we make them out to be, we won't be able to make as much MONEY off of them as we currently do by demonizing and spreading lies about them. How will we pay our bills???"
Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies.

Pay their bills?
.
To date; not *one* of those 40 preachers has made one red cent from gay weddings. Not one
.
Hundreds of millions of tax-exempt dollars have passed them by
.
They can pay their bills by ringing those wedding bells like their livelihood depends on it; and hope some gay couples hear it; forgives them for their arrogant as$holiness; and hires them for some gay weddings
.
If they 'choose' to go broke instead; *oh well*
.
Sux to be them
.
They can join the fundies from the Crystal Cathedral and rot away in the Poor House for Old PulPitbulls

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#8 Jan 13, 2012
I'm so f*cking sick of these lying fundie bast*rds. Just like lying, thrice married, Newt Gingrich at the recent debate blathering on about religious adoption agencies being fordced to close so they don't have to place children who have no parents into a loving gay couple home. A bunch of bullshyt. These religious adoption agencies are ONLY forced to place children in possible gay headed households if they accept funding from the state. If these organizations want to continue to discriminate against gay couples, they are free to do so....provided they stop taking state funding. But no, these freakin' fundies want it both ways....to accept state funding, but not abide by state regulations. More "special rights" for the religious.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#9 Jan 13, 2012
I will say one good thing about these "religious leaders". They are doing a wonderful job of displaying just how selfish, arrogant and decptive.

Much Like Archie Bunker did 30 years ago, they are becoming some of the best assets to further the fight against legalized discrimination.

As the Bible says, "by their works ye shall know them".

Some wise words:
The purpose of all the major religious traditions is not to construct big temples on the outside, but to create temples of goodness and compassion inside, in our hearts.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama, "The Good Heart"

Spirituality I take to be concerned with those qualities of the human spirit—such as love and compassion, patience, a sense of responsibility, a sense of harmony, which bring happiness to both self and others.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.
- His Holiness the Dalai Lama

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#10 Jan 13, 2012
Gee, I'm so SURPRISED by this....NOT!!!

My wife and I called SEVERAL religious organizations to find a Minister who would marry us......most said no, and we kept looking until we found one.

There was no lawsuit or threats, we just kept looking and were very happy with the Minister we found.

So, why should his religious freedom to marry us be taken away from him?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Jan 13, 2012
DUH!
Santorum s Adult Diapers

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jan 13, 2012
Marriage equality will, in fact, make it much harder for evilgelical bigots to discriminate and defame in any number of contexts.

While it wouldn't affect their legal right to be ignorant bigots in their houses of worship of hate, eventually ongoing acceptance could negatively affect attendance.

BTW, anyone with information on which of these 40 "religious" leaders is most likely to be first out of the gate with a rentboy type scandal?

I will open by betting blind on any male Baptists amongst the 40....
Adam in AZ

United States

#13 Jan 13, 2012
They're finally being honest fundies. They don't want marriage equality because they don't want to treat gay people with equal dignity and respect.

At least they're giving up the lie that were forcing them to perform wedding against their religion

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Jan 13, 2012
Adam in AZ wrote:
They're finally being honest fundies. They don't want marriage equality because they don't want to treat gay people with equal dignity and respect.
At least they're giving up the lie that were forcing them to perform wedding against their religion
Oh they'll NEVER give up that lie, no matter how many times they get smacked down by the courts! The fundies are persistant if nothing else.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Jan 13, 2012
Washington introduced their marriage equality bill in the Senate today. They now have a firm committments from 23 Senators, they only need 2 more votes out of the 6 "undecideds" for this to pass!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#16 Jan 13, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
Gee, I'm so SURPRISED by this....NOT!!!
My wife and I called SEVERAL religious organizations to find a Minister who would marry us......most said no, and we kept looking until we found one.
There was no lawsuit or threats, we just kept looking and were very happy with the Minister we found.
So, why should his religious freedom to marry us be taken away from him?
What cracks me up is that much of this is being led by the Catholic Church. An organization that believes one needs to forgo marriage and sex to be "holy" yet they want to be the experts on what makes a "good marriage"!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#17 Jan 13, 2012
They really ARE nuts!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Jan 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>What cracks me up is that much of this is being led by the Catholic Church. An organization that believes one needs to forgo marriage and sex to be "holy" yet they want to be the experts on what makes a "good marriage"!
And don't forget all the men wear dresses & big fancy hats, yet they think they can lecture the rest of us on appropriate gender roles.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#19 Jan 14, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>What cracks me up is that much of this is being led by the Catholic Church. An organization that believes one needs to forgo marriage and sex to be "holy" yet they want to be the experts on what makes a "good marriage"!
Well, that doesn't surprise me......that's one of the reasons I left formalized religion!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

RNS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Muslim theology faculties develop an - Islam fo... Apr 28 Vote UKIP 2
News Yes, Catholics may vote for Bernie Sanders Apr 13 Believer 2
News Long road for Reza Aslan's 'Of Kings and Prophe... Mar '16 Mawar 1
News Ted Cruz, you might want to listen to evangelic... Feb '16 E_Calvin_Beisner 1
News Oldest U.S. graduate seminary to close campus Feb '16 lavon affair 5
News Why Michele Bachmann's push to convert Jews is ... Jan '16 Ritual Habitual 16
News Pew study: More Americans reject religion, but ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 lavluamin 2
More from around the web