Religious Freedom Key To Debate On Gay Marriages

Jul 25, 2011 Full story: www.huffingtonpost.com

Sen. Christopher Coons, D-Del., also cited his faith as a motivating factor behind his support for DOMA's repeal. "I am a person of faith. My family and I worship regularly. ... But I don't think that my faith, which informs my politics, empowers me to have a monopoly on the will of God," said Coons, a Presbyterian. Advocates for DOMA's repeal also repeatedly mentioned the need to respect religious freedom, with Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., telling senators that "the Respect for Marriage Act has the highest conditions of religious freedom." "Religious views on marriage unquestionably differ, with some religions opposing and others solemnizing marriages for lesbian and gay couples. But the Respect for Marriage Act allows this diversity to flourish ... without government interference," Nadler said.

Full Story
Yes

Aldrich, MO

#1 Jul 26, 2011
Maybe he should sit down and really read a Bible and then the Constituional papers of the founding fathers? Faith that is not practiced in all of life is not faith but lip service, but then most politicians practice the same.
nOgOd

Rockford, IL

#2 Jul 28, 2011
"If you believe in a judgement day, I have to seriously question your judgment."

Bill Maher
cjrian

United States

#3 Jul 28, 2011
nOgOd wrote:
"If you believe in a judgement day, I have to seriously question your judgment."
Bill Maher
If you believe in Bill Maher, I have to seriously question your judgment.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#4 Jul 28, 2011
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

RNS Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
French Jews at a crossroads: a Should I stay or... Jan 29 not so peachy 4
Southern Baptists change their tone but not the... Oct '14 SDO 1
If you were Brittany Maynard, what would you do? Oct '14 SDO 1
America isna t a a Christian nation,a and never... Oct '14 SDO 1
Why I stand with the Houston Five Oct '14 SDO 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Sep '14 Delilahblue 171
Episcopal Churcha s Katharine Jefferts Schori w... Sep '14 Anti- 9
More from around the web