Hollywood takes over downtown as filming of romantic comedy beg...

Full story: Lowell Sun

Steve Shemchuk of Lowell was ready at 7 a.m. He gripped a felt-tip pen in his right hand yesterday and kept a manila folder snug under his left arm.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2008
Downtown Lowell

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

This is so great for our city!

Downtown businesses will see an estimated 2 million dollars as a result!
Tracy

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

With new studio being built will become commonplace
MSawant

Halifax, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Sounds like a stupid plot of a movie to me....People will see it just to see fimilar surroundings in a Hollywood film.

Since: Apr 08

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Downtown Lowell wrote:
This is so great for our city!
Downtown businesses will see an estimated 2 million dollars as a result!
I'll agree that this is exciting for the city, but that 2 million dollar stat is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.
Downtown Lowell

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

MrMillCity_com wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll agree that this is exciting for the city, but that 2 million dollar stat is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.
Think about it, they rented out 13,000 sqare foot of space for a few months. The mambo grill and olive that will cater all their meals. They are all staying at the Double Tree.

I know they are closing bars and restaraunts for cat parties and such.

When you think about al of these things combined, 2 million dollars is not that far away.

Plus all of the spectators will be spending money here in Lowell while trying to catch a glimpse of the stars!

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Downtown Lowell wrote:
<quoted text>
Think about it, they rented out 13,000 sqare foot of space for a few months. The mambo grill and olive that will cater all their meals. They are all staying at the Double Tree.
I know they are closing bars and restaraunts for cat parties and such.
When you think about al of these things combined, 2 million dollars is not that far away.
Plus all of the spectators will be spending money here in Lowell while trying to catch a glimpse of the stars!
Scratch that....my apologies. I misunderstood what you were saying.
Observer

Walpole, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

If I lived or worked in the area I would not be a happy camper. Even though the city doesn't have a problem closing off streets for what they feel is a worthy project it probably wouldn't happen if it were put to a vote. In other words, your reps are not representing your best interests.
Happy for Lowell

Woburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

It was exciting driving throught the city on Monday April 14th...I felt like I was in Hollywood with all the equipment like the lights, camera's and large screens apparently being used to divert the glares from the sun. It was awesome! I hope we can see more of this in our future...Lowell does have a certain old fashion appeal to it. I'm very happy for Lowell they certainly need a break.

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Observer wrote:
If I lived or worked in the area I would not be a happy camper. Even though the city doesn't have a problem closing off streets for what they feel is a worthy project it probably wouldn't happen if it were put to a vote. In other words, your reps are not representing your best interests.
Fortunately for everyone else, you're in a very small minority on this one. How old and cranky are you that you canít be inconvenienced for a week at best? Look outÖ.itís the fun police from Tyngsboro!
lowering the bar

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Observer wrote:
The city did a pretty good job of routing traffic around the affected area. I don't think any one who lives or works in that neighborhood has any complaints.
Downtown Lowell

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

I live almost at the movie set, and I was not inconvenienced in the least!
lowering the bar

North Brookfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Downtown Lowell wrote:
I live almost at the movie set, and I was not inconvenienced in the least!
Did you spot any celebs? They were finished by the time I walked by yesterday
downtown resident

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Observer wrote:
I happen to live downtown--across from the Dubliner, and street closings (of which only Shattuck Street was completely shut down) did not cause anywhere near as much of an issue as happens with the Folk Festival.
downtown resident

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

lowering the bar wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you spot any celebs? They were finished by the time I walked by yesterday
I, too live right downtown. I got home a little after 4pm on Tuesday, and got to watch Ricky Gervais and Stephanie Merchant (?) film a scene outside the Dubliner for about 45 minutes. Very cool.
lowell

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

Does anyone know how long they will be filming here in Lowell? I am hoping to cathc a glimpse of oneof the stars!! Yes, this is very exciting for Lowell...
lowell

Dracut, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2008

"catch" spelling error....Catch a glimpse

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ricky Gervais Discussions

Search the Ricky Gervais Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ricky Gervais Guide To Society-John Booper (Dec '09) Jul 18 george thompson 121
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) May '14 karl44 5,918
Ricky Gervais on how he became pen pals with Da... (Sep '13) Sep '13 tigger31086 2
Ricky Gervais brings series to Netflix (Sep '13) Sep '13 me just saying 2
YouTube funny guys "rampage FDE" (Jun '13) Jun '13 Roger Johnson 1
Ricky Gervais Talks About His Friendship With D... (May '13) May '13 tigger31086 1
Ricky Gervais tweets Derek birthday photo (Feb '13) Feb '13 Paula 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••