Review: Superman II: The Richard Donn...

Review: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

There are 5 comments on the Blogcritics story from Dec 8, 2006, titled Review: Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut . In it, Blogcritics reports that:

There have been a lot of great comic book movies in the past decade, yet for me, I think my favorite will always be 1980's Superman II.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Blogcritics.

pauly

London, UK

#1 Dec 12, 2006
I love the original SUPERMAN II and eagerly anticipated the DONNER cut.
I think it has strong & weak points much like Lester's version.
I love the Eiffel tower scene in Lester's version and i love the banter between the two sherrifs which have been cut out in Donner's version.
I thought the 3 villains came off the best in Donner's version, becoming more menacing and evil. For instance, a scene in the white house where Ursa waits for a frightened guard who's huddled on the floor to look up at her before she smiles and kicks him in the face which i thought was brilliant.
All in all Lester's version is what i grew up watching but i think it has it's weak points and Donner's version has it's weak point also. So somewhere inbetween the two versions is the definitive Superman II.
Brando's reinsertion is brilliant, Zod has a couple more evil moments such as shooting up the white house and kicking superman in the Metropolis fight, Non isn't a child anymore and Ursa is just more evil.
Recommended but i think the original pips it at the post.
Pauly.
ThisIsMe

Jericho, NY

#2 Dec 28, 2006
Lester's Superman II is far superior to Donner's hack job.
jeremy

Roanoke Rapids, NC

#3 Aug 30, 2007
Donner's Version is better
Dan

Falmouth, ME

#4 Feb 20, 2008
Richard Donner's version is superior to Lester's and Donner's version would have been even better had he been able to actually complete it. The fact he was fired before completion and the fact that his cut, only 70% complete is better than Lester's tells you who had the better vision of a serious super hero movie. Not to mention that Lester was a supposed observer and liason, for the Salkinds,on the set of Superman II. Actually he was there to learn what had been completed so far, the story line and what he would need to do to reshoot more than 50 percent of the scenes so he could call himself the director. What kind of person would undermine another like that?
Dan

Falmouth, ME

#5 Feb 25, 2008
Richard Lester's version of Superman II has a circus like atmosphere to it. It does not take the role of Superman seriously. I have always liked Richard Lester's version of Superman II alot. But I have to admit, after watching Richard Donner's version, Lester's looks amatuerish and some scenes are just too clown like. Richard Donner had a much better vision of Superman, funny when it needed to be yet a serious story and characters who are so much more believable than Richard Lester's circus version.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Donner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aicn Comics Reviews: Superman! the Final Plague... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Last days news 1
News First full trailer for 'Man of Steel' released ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Todd 1
News Before Superman Returned (Jul '06) Dec '11 frank d 4
News Goonies 2 (Aug '08) Nov '08 Reem 3
News HD-DVD Review: 16 Blocks (Jul '07) Jul '07 BULLET4mySORROW 1
News Goonies aren't good enough (Jun '07) Jun '07 Movie Viewer 1
News ''Goonies'' might be Broadway bound (Apr '07) Apr '07 Goonies the Musical 1
More from around the web