maybe he is gay.....
Kol

Dublin, Ireland

#62 Apr 27, 2009
Oh well, I know my post BAFTA post wasn't exactly popular but at least it's reignited the board!

Seriously though, I do appreciate that there are lots of ways of interpreting the same information and that my way may not be the right way. I even hope it's not!

I just felt like airing my two cents on the whole thing and since, as others have said elsewhere, there is no way anybody could broach such a topic on the RA fan sites, it was good to be able to have a proper discussion on here.

I am a member of one of those sites and, while it is a fantastic place, the RA threads do tend towards the overly reverential so, for cynics like me, it's good to have a haven away from the "thud" and "ra we love you" emoticons every once in a while where "forbidden" subjects may be spoken of openly!!

May

“I met Matthew!”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#63 Apr 27, 2009
Kol wrote:
Oh well, I know my post BAFTA post wasn't exactly popular but at least it's reignited the board!
Seriously though, I do appreciate that there are lots of ways of interpreting the same information and that my way may not be the right way. I even hope it's not!
I just felt like airing my two cents on the whole thing and since, as others have said elsewhere, there is no way anybody could broach such a topic on the RA fan sites, it was good to be able to have a proper discussion on here.
I am a member of one of those sites and, while it is a fantastic place, the RA threads do tend towards the overly reverential so, for cynics like me, it's good to have a haven away from the "thud" and "ra we love you" emoticons every once in a while where "forbidden" subjects may be spoken of openly!!
Thanks Kol and you did set the board alight after someone saying it "sucked" so thank you for that. Well it doesn't because we can talk amongst ourselves and even disagree. Oh the joy of talking about a hunk like RA!!
anon fan

Hayward, CA

#64 Apr 27, 2009
Kol wrote:
....... it's good to have a haven away from the "thud" and "ra we love you" emoticons every once in a while where "forbidden" subjects may be spoken of openly!!
Agree completely. This is the one place to discuss taboo issues. Lets keep this forum alive
Hiya

Laguna Niguel, CA

#65 Apr 28, 2009
I agree with what Tuloumne said. It truly does not add up. Why would he show up with a man TWICE to the Baftas if he was trying to hide he was gay?? I have it on very good authority that was his agent, but if you don't think so that is fine.

I just can't understand if Richard says he has a girlfriend that he lives with, has been seen with her, mentions fancing Nigella Lawson, enjoyed his kissing scenes with Daniela in N&S, and even Keith Allen mentioned a girlfriend came to visit Richard on RH set back in 2006, that he says all this to try and cover up being gay, but yet brings a man to the Baftas?? That doesn't make sense. To me if someone is trying to cover up being gay why would they bring a man to the Baftas?? Like Tuloumne said it does not add up.

Anyways, I obviously think he isn't lying and truly is NOT gay, but if it comes out eventually that he is to each his own!

I am thinking Richard knew he would have fans there and would be signing autographs for them and if he brought his girlfriend she would be standing around waiting for him and probably get scrutinized and talked about and maybe even some dirty looks from fans. I hate to say it but I feel sorry for her and I don't blame her for not going. It is tough being a "celeb heart throbs" girlfriend. Fans can be brutal!

In all honesty I just want to see Richard happy with someone.
Kol

Dublin, Ireland

#66 Apr 28, 2009
"In all honesty I just want to see Richard happy with someone."
Well Hiya, we agree on that anyway! I also agree that there is something about the whole situation "doesn't add up". It's just that I'm getting a different vibe from it than you are. I don't dispute that the guy is his agent but I just wonder if there is a little more to it. It is, after all, fairly unusual for stars to consistently turn up to events with their agent as their partner for the evening.
Believe me, I do actually want to agree with your take on the situation but something always stops me. For eg. Surely his girlfriend wouldn't have had to stand around while he signed autographs?. She could just have gone straight into the building and met him inside.
Anyway, until something more conclusive emerges I guess there will always be two ways of looking at this. But I enjoy hearing opposing views. I always think that knowing why other people feel differently about something is very helpful. It's very easy to get very sure of your own views and dismissive of others if you don't take the time to listen to why people who disagree with you they feel the way they do.
For example, I still tend to think he's gay but, having read some of the comments on here, I'm not quite as definite about the whole thing as I was when I wrote my first post!
Lady of the North

UK

#67 Apr 28, 2009
Why does single have to mean someone is gay? I am a fan of Jeremy Northam and he did not marry until he was 44. I wonder how many "He must be gay" rumours did he have to put up with?

Is there an unwritten law that if you are seen with people of the same sex then you must be boinking them? I go out with female friends and I can assure you we are not intimate. OMG, I knew it!!!! All those boys nights out men have a really a secret code for a gay fest! THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE.

Really, if watching Shark documentaries like Chandler in friends, gets him off, that is up to him, isn't it?

Since: Apr 09

Blue Springs, MO

#68 Apr 28, 2009
Hiya wrote:
I just can't understand if Richard says he has a girlfriend that he lives with, has been seen with her, mentions fancing Nigella Lawson, enjoyed his kissing scenes with Daniela in N&S, and even Keith Allen mentioned a girlfriend came to visit Richard on RH set back in 2006, that he says all this to try and cover up being gay, but yet brings a man to the Baftas?? That doesn't make sense. To me if someone is trying to cover up being gay why would they bring a man to the Baftas??
Yes, I agree. It doesn't add up.

A man who is making an effort to stay in the closet does not undo all the work he's put into staying in the closet (making up a story about a girlfriend, feigning interest in Nigella Lawson, saying he enjoyed filming a kissing scene with a pretty actress) only to ruin it all by taking a MALE agent to the BAFTAs. This does not seem like something a closeted guy would do. Not unless he was a complete idiotic chowderhead, which does not fit my idea of Richard Armitage.

It seems more plausible that he brought the agent because the fans already knew who he was ("just an agent") then they didn't think much of it.(I certainly didn't, anyway.) So perhaps he thought if he brought the same guy again, the fans would recognize him and say amongst themselves, "It's just his agent again" and shrug their shoulders.(Well, I did! LOL)

As for not bringing the girlfriend to the awards--like Hiya says, no doubt the many female fans waiting for autographs would be giving the girl the once-over and then maybe saying unkind things about her later. He has said in interviews that he tries to keep his girlfriend out of the public eye, so bearing that in mind, it doesn't seem all that strange that he would not bring her to such a huge public function.

Blue Springs, MO

#69 Apr 28, 2009
Kol wrote:
"In all honesty I just want to see Richard happy with someone."
Well Hiya, we agree on that anyway! I also agree that there is something about the whole situation "doesn't add up". It's just that I'm getting a different vibe from it than you are. I don't dispute that the guy is his agent but I just wonder if there is a little more to it.
How many events has the agent attended? We know of two. There might be a few more, but I see no evidence that he's always seen with this agent.(And no, unsubstantiated rumors don't count, sorry. LOL) The reason for asking the agent might be because "it's just his agent" and Richard feels that this is a "safe" choice.(Anyone else is going to be scrutinized mercilessly by fans.)

I think that assuming that this male agent is his boyfriend is starting to veer into tinfoil hat territory.(Sorry. No disrespect ...)

Think about it. He's trying to stay in the closet with all his tales of girlfriends and Nigella Lawson, but blows that all out of the water by attending public functions with his male lover, who also happens to be his agent? Does this sound smart? It doesn't to me.

"Surely his girlfriend wouldn't have had to stand around while he signed autographs?. She could just have gone straight into the building and met him inside."

If she's seen there, tongues will wag. Even seeing her for a moment on the red carpet would be enough. Seeing her sit next to him at the awards would cause a great stir among some fans. One small photo of him taken with a girlfriend did all of that, and this is a lot more than that!

UK

#70 Apr 28, 2009
Thank you Rosemont. I agree with what you have said. It is not a crime to be seen in public with someone of the same sex more than once. Why do people automatically assume they must be sleeping together?

Blue Springs, MO

#71 Apr 28, 2009
Your comment about Jeremy Northam is significant, Lady of the North, because it seems like *any* single actor gets these rumors. If I were someone who was hoping that a particular actor was gay, I think I'd get tired of all the "false alarms" out there. Speculation, rumors, "I hear he's gay" "A friend in show business heard a rumor he's gay" "That girl he's dating could just be a 'beard' you know" etc etc. All these guys had things like that said about them. Then so often it all turns out to be nothing, as it did with Jeremy Northam, Gerard Butler, and no doubt countless others.

It's possible that this time, the rumors are true. But based on what we know so far, I'm not holding my breath. LOL.
Susie

Norwich, UK

#72 Apr 28, 2009
Cathy wrote:
For Richard's fans,there will never be a woman pretty enough for him!!! I saw a picture of Annabel in a spotlight resume of her career and she is very attractive and INTELLIGENT looking!!!!! Does not look like an airhead, but i think her and Richard do themselves a disservice by not appearing together!!! As I said on another thread maybe he has a deranged fan that is talking about suicide if they appear together!!! That is also an explanation for why they don't make an appearance, maybe they have a stalker!!! You know if he ever gets to be an international actor like Hugh Jackman, the paparazzi will get pictures , both of them will not be able to avoid it!!! I think if you are involved in a serious relationship with an actor, that comes with the territory and you cannot hide from it!!! That is why she has to stand by his side, who cares what the fans think about your looks!!! I used to work with burn patients and I have seen serious facial deformities , Annabel is an attractive woman, she will be able to weather the comments!!!!
I know that when Jonas Armstrong appeared with his young actress girfriend his fans were saying some awfully cruel (and simply untrue) things about the way she looked. She is very slim, young and beautiful. It didn't stop him taking her to award ceremonies though did it?

There may be some fans that might make cruel remarks I don't know but I think on the whole we are a pretty level headed bunch aren't we? To be honest I'd just be relieved to see him with her! It's a shame not to accompany him to the things like this especially as we know how much he dislikes them. Personally I would be of a mind to go and support him through these torturous events and if anyone said anything nasty about how I looked (although I do scrub up quite nicely Richard if you're reading this - some chance!)I would simply shrug and think well they can say what they like at the end of the night I'll be the one leaving with him!

I think we should also realize that these after show parties can also be useful to do a bit of "networking" with producers/directors etc. and I don't think Richard would be very good at all that sort of thing. Maybe that's where his agent comes in?

By the way I heard that Graham Norton who hosted the BAFTA's went home after the party and fell down the stairs, breaking a couple of ribs! Hope Richard wasn't as bad as all that otherwise he might have ended up sleeping on the sofa on Sunday night!
Susie

Norwich, UK

#73 Apr 28, 2009
Lady of The North wrote:
Thank you Rosemont. I agree with what you have said. It is not a crime to be seen in public with someone of the same sex more than once. Why do people automatically assume they must be sleeping together?
I heard the actor James Nesbitt say when he was interviewed that he had come with his mate who had just completed the London marathon. Does that make him gay too? I doubt that very much!!!!
Kol

Dublin, Ireland

#74 Apr 28, 2009
Look, at the end of the day none of us know who is right.
I could be equally dismissive of the fact that so many posters on here seem to be convinced he's straight on very little more evidence than the fact that he wrote a woman's name on a napkin, has said he fancies Nigella Lawson and has mentioned a girlfriend (who he won't even name) to a few journalists. If you apply the same logic to that as you have to my reasoning then it doesn't make for a very convincing case either.
For example why is it "tinfoil hat" territory to assume his male agent might be his boyfriend based on what I've seen and heard but ok to assume that he is living with a girlfriend who has never been officially named or seen based on the fact that he wrote somebodys name on a napkin once and that he was pictured with a woman once. He never said the woman he was pictured with was his girlfriend. He never said the woman who's name he wrote on the napkin was his girlfriend. Yet it is seemingly ok to form the opinion that this all stacks up to the true story while my opinion, based on similar conjecture, is nuts?
The simple fact is that there is not enough information out there to form a definitive view one way or another.
Finally, I think I have put my views across in a rational and logical manner without resorting to insinuating that those who disagree are somehow insane which is what I assume the expression "tinfoil hat" territory means. It would be nice if we could continue this discussion with resorting to that sort of nastiness. It really isn't either justified or necessary.

UK

#75 Apr 28, 2009
Susie wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the actor James Nesbitt say when he was interviewed that he had come with his mate who had just completed the London marathon. Does that make him gay too? I doubt that very much!!!!
Yes, silly isn't it? Must celebs always be seen with a member of the opposite sex or that makes them automatically gay. LOL

UK

#76 Apr 28, 2009
Kol wrote:
Look, at the end of the day none of us know who is right.
I could be equally dismissive of the fact that so many posters on here seem to be convinced he's straight on very little more evidence than the fact that he wrote a woman's name on a napkin, has said he fancies Nigella Lawson and has mentioned a girlfriend (who he won't even name) to a few journalists. If you apply the same logic to that as you have to my reasoning then it doesn't make for a very convincing case either.
For example why is it "tinfoil hat" territory to assume his male agent might be his boyfriend based on what I've seen and heard but ok to assume that he is living with a girlfriend who has never been officially named or seen based on the fact that he wrote somebodys name on a napkin once and that he was pictured with a woman once. He never said the woman he was pictured with was his girlfriend. He never said the woman who's name he wrote on the napkin was his girlfriend. Yet it is seemingly ok to form the opinion that this all stacks up to the true story while my opinion, based on similar conjecture, is nuts?
The simple fact is that there is not enough information out there to form a definitive view one way or another.
Finally, I think I have put my views across in a rational and logical manner without resorting to insinuating that those who disagree are somehow insane which is what I assume the expression "tinfoil hat" territory means. It would be nice if we could continue this discussion with resorting to that sort of nastiness. It really isn't either justified or necessary.
Kol, I think you almost want him to be gay. I have heard that some women find gay men attractive. I wonder if you are one of them? Not that there is anything wrong with it. I find lots of male celebs attractive but they are so far out of my orbit they may as well be gay anyway. So it doesn't exactly matter to me.

But most of what you are talking about is supposition, and hearsay, where a lot of what others have quoted is from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Blue Springs, MO

#77 Apr 28, 2009
Look, we have nothing to go by, other than what he says in interviews. He's said he's living with a girlfriend, and in this Internet age, it seems a little risky to lie about that if it's not true (since any of his neighbors could report that they don't see him living with a girl).

Since he has said that he wants to keep his girlfriend out of the public eye, why is it a shock that he doesn't name her? It seems like he can't win for losing.

Back before he had the live-in girlfriend, some fans wondered about his sexuality because, "He never talks about a girlfriend." Now that he's stated that he has one (but has said he wants to protect her privacy), then there is more whispering and suspicion. When is enough enough? How much information does he have to divulge before everyone will be satisfied? As has been said before on this thread, some married men with children can be gay, so if Richard marries, that won't be enough "proof" for some people. So what is the point in saying or doing anything, if whatever he says will not be believed or viewed with suspicion?(And isn't his girlfriend entitled to some privacy if she wishes it? Is she not entitled to this?)

It's possible that he's gay and not even his *mother* knows, so how can we know? None of us do, so we go by what he says and use other clues. Several of us have said that it doesn't make sense that he would go to the trouble of weaving a web of lies about a girlfriend and pretending to be interested in girls (and even going so far as to crane his neck to ogle a girl at one of the awards ceremonies, apparently), but then still attend some events with his male lover. If someone can explain why that makes sense, please do. Because it sure doesn't sound smart to me.

If there is some interview somewhere which indicates that he's dating his male agent, let's see it. Otherwise, it's just one more rumor that isn't substantiated. It's already been done with many other single male actors, and they usually turn out to be nothing. And as had been said, some of the (untrue) rumors about other actors were quite specific and sometimes came from a show business source, so that isn't always a guarantee of accuracy.

So I don't think it's out of the ordinary to start filtering out the theories and rumors, since so often they are based on vapor.
Kol

Dublin, Ireland

#78 Apr 28, 2009
Kol, I think you almost want him to be gay. I have heard that some women find gay men attractive. I wonder if you are one of them?

Well, Lady of the North, for somebody who is so keen to berate me for making judgements about others on little evidence don't you think that comment is kind of ironic?

But if we're going to get into that sort of territory I think it is quite clear that you want him to be straight far more than I want him to be gay.

I don't actually want him to be gay at all. I just think he is. My comments are purely objectively based on my interpretation of what I've seen. In fact if you take the time to read all of my posts you will see that, on more than one occasion, I have said that I hope I'm wrong.

I do think he's an attractive guy and, while there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, as as straight woman I can't help preferring men that I find attractive to be straight - even the "fantasy" figures! I don't think that's so unusual. However, if he is gay I will still be a fan of his as his sexual orientation is totally irrelevant when it comes to his work or personality.

All I have been saying is that I suspect the whole "girlfriend" story is PR spin. Like somebody else who posted on here, and who was broadly in agreement with me, I work in a media related area and you do get used to filtering the spin from the facts. Maybe my job makes me overly analytical. I don't know for sure. But, I do know for sure that you shouldn't put your faith in everyting you read even if it is deemed to be "from the horses mouth". At the end of the day the actions have to match the words and, at the moment, there is a bit of a gap between those two areas which has lead me to form the opinion I have for the reasons I have already given.

Blue Springs, MO

#79 Apr 28, 2009
There's nothing wrong with a hot actor being gay--look at John Barrowman, whom I absolutely adore! LOL.

I'm sorry, but I think in order to be convincing to many of us, you'll have to do better than a "feeling" that the girlfriend is "spin."

It still doesn't explain him attending a big function with his (supposed) male lover. Spin usually is more clever than that? It seems to defeat the whole purpose of spin in the first place, especially considering that the BAFTAs are a huge event, and that any fan of his could see the clip of him with the agent on YouTube.

I think a lot of us have been burned badly in the past by the abundant gay rumors about our favorite actors. The Gerard Butler rumors were pretty specific (which I think made some more apt to wonder if they were true), but as is often the case, they turned out to be nothing. Many fans can share many stories of rumors they heard about other favorite actors, which then turned out to be nothing.

So while you are entitled to believe what you like, to some of us, this is just "more of the same" and we don't feel like taking every rumor seriously anymore, because of what we've seen in the past. If it weren't for the fact that this kind of thing is *so* common and *so* typical when it comes to attractive single male actors, perhaps some of us might feel differently.
Kol

Dublin, Ireland

#80 Apr 28, 2009
I'm sorry but I don't think in any of my posts I ever said there was anything wrong with a "hot actor" being gay did I? I just responded to the poster who said I wanted RA to be gay by saying that I didn't actually, I just think he is.

I think I have given at least, if not more, of a reasoned explanation for why I feel the way I do than has been provided by anybody who feels differently.

Spin doesn't always work. That's when you spot it. What I think has happened here is that the fact that the partner is the agent is something the spinners felt might just enable them to get away with the invisible girlfriend story. Nobody will question why he attends events with his agent etc. But, ultimately, people are going to wonder why, if he has a girlfriend he's lived with for two years, is she never seen or even named, and why is it that his agent seems to feature so prominently at the sort of events where, let's face it, the star is more usually accompanied by their partner. As has been stated elsewhere on this board, he has also turned up to other events with this same guy.

I think it will be interesting to see what emerges if and when RA gives any interviews in advance of this year's series of Spooks. Having told them last year that he has been living with his girlfriend for a year and a half and that he/they are definitely intending to have kids etc, the journalists will definitely return to the subject.

I think the answers he gives will go a long way towards throwing more light on whether or not there is spin at work here.

In the meantime, I think this is becoming something of a circular argument. We each have our reasons for feeling the way we do but I don't think any of us is in a position to disprove each others theories.

Blue Springs, MO

#81 Apr 28, 2009
No, I wasn't suggesting that *you* thought there was anything wrong with a hot gay actor. I am just saying that some of us who might not believe that Richard Armitage is gay are feeling that way because we don't like the idea of him being gay. It's not standing in the way of John Barrowman.

As for the "spin" not working ... it seems way too obvious and stupid for them to try this. Perhaps the more obvious conclusion (that it's *just* his agent) is more straightforward and simple...it's just his agent. I wonder if the reason why gay rumors abound for almost all handsome single actors is because too many fans are second-guessing everything that the guy says or does, and tend to see "spin" where it doesn't exist. It sure would explain a lot.

As for the so-called invisible girlfriend story, someone here mentioned that allegedly she has been seen up in Budapest with Richard when he is filming on location. And it does seem a bit risky to fabricate a live-in girlfriend when the neighbors could easily refute it.(Why not just say he's got a steady girlfriend and leave it at that? It is a lot easier to keep that lie a secret, where with the live-in girlfriend, it's not.) All in all, it seems rather foolish and sloppy, if the intent is to stay in the closet, and it doesn't pass the smell test for many of us.

I agree, we're not going to convince each other of anything here. And as I said, none of us know anything anyway.

I am pretty comfortable in my position because after having seen the whole "is he gay" rumor-mill play out with other actors (and then amount to nothing) it seems more likely than not that this is more of the same, no matter how much spin some people see in it. They saw spin with the other actors too, after all, and that often ended up being not true. So, whatever! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richard Armitage Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Into the Storm (Aug '14) Jul 11 emily poole 5
RA's Girlfriend?? (Jan '07) Jul 11 emily poole 490
meeting Richard Armitage Jul 11 emily poole 1
News Actor Richard Armitage has long history with Ho... (Mar '13) Jul 11 emily poole 4
de cordier immobilier evian (Dec '14) Dec '14 melanie 1
Richard to star in "The Crucible" (Apr '14) Sep '14 Lisa 6
maybe he is gay...... (Apr '09) Aug '14 LEAH 5
More from around the web