Noted Latin jazz saxophonist victim of Levittown fire

Full story: Newsday 10
Before the height of the New York City salsa music explosion, Raymond Sambolin was there, saxophone in hand. Full Story
Nick

White Plains, NY

#1 Jun 12, 2008
You know Levittown is one of "those" places when the bad stuff happening there (all the time) are banned from comments. Like the child molester who cornered a 9 year-old kid. But things like this is allowed comment.
Much like the news does not report the race if the suspect is black or hispanic. But will do so if white.
seeyaalright

Dallas, TX

#2 Jun 12, 2008
My condolences to the family of one of the most influential names in music.
Elizabeth

Plainview, NY

#3 Jun 14, 2008
Levittown is not anymore "one of those places" as you said, Nick, than many other towns are. Bad things happen everywhere, and Levittown is a town where at least *I* feel safe to walk at night.

If you LIVED in Levittown, you'd know that when there is even the smallest case of a child being propositioned by someone sketchy, the whole school district is notified via a notice. It does happen from time to time and it is frightening that such things happen at all, but when I lived in neighboring East Meadow, it was about the same situation. There's really not much to say about it most of the time (because the children often don't remember the details) except "be careful of a middle aged white man in a big blue van", so the story is not appealing news. I'm not saying it's necessarily right that it is omitted, but since the people who really need to know it are being notified anyway, there's no need to question the newsworthiness of other stories through comparison.

How dare you deny the validity of this story because other bad things happen in the town as well. That is just plain ludicrous.

To Seeya: Did you know who he was before this story was printed? If so I'd be very interested to know how (I am one of his granddaughters and lived in that house as well).
Adriana granddaughter

Waldwick, NJ

#4 Jun 14, 2008
Thank you so much for your condolences.
I'm sorry, Nick, that you feel the tragic loss of life of a great musician and retired Navymen should not be shared & honored.
Adriana granddaughter

Waldwick, NJ

#5 Jun 14, 2008
For any future posts, bare in mind please respect my family, and the grief we're in as such a sudden and horrific loss. I ask that you keep your comments, if negative, to yourself. None of us need to be reading such nonsense.
Thank you all for your care, and condolences, again.
Curious

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Jun 15, 2008
My condolences to the family.

With Newsday always looking to put down the volunteer fire departments on long island why didn't they mention the heroic efforts of the VOLUNTEER firemen and firewomen in trying to save this man? I believe (as was mentioned in a local town paper) a firemen rescued him from the house. There was no mention of this in NEWSDAY. As tragic as this story was they was also HEROISM. Just curious. Another lost opportunity for NEWSDAY journalism.
seeyaalright

Dallas, TX

#7 Jun 16, 2008
The father of my old roommate from college (via the Bronx)performed with with him and Tito Puentemany times way back. He was a legend many never heard of. You have a lot to be proud of. He wrote a lot of songs too. Hope you know them, you should get royalties.
Elizabeth wrote:
Levittown is not anymore "one of those places" as you said, Nick, than many other towns are. Bad things happen everywhere, and Levittown is a town where at least *I* feel safe to walk at night.
If you LIVED in Levittown, you'd know that when there is even the smallest case of a child being propositioned by someone sketchy, the whole school district is notified via a notice. It does happen from time to time and it is frightening that such things happen at all, but when I lived in neighboring East Meadow, it was about the same situation. There's really not much to say about it most of the time (because the children often don't remember the details) except "be careful of a middle aged white man in a big blue van", so the story is not appealing news. I'm not saying it's necessarily right that it is omitted, but since the people who really need to know it are being notified anyway, there's no need to question the newsworthiness of other stories through comparison.
How dare you deny the validity of this story because other bad things happen in the town as well. That is just plain ludicrous.
To Seeya: Did you know who he was before this story was printed? If so I'd be very interested to know how (I am one of his granddaughters and lived in that house as well).
Orin

Elizabeth, NJ

#8 Jun 18, 2008
A compelling individual and spirit, this one article doesnt do this man justice. As a musician and enthusiast of the human spirit, I feel that there is no loss for a man who has spent so much dedication to family and culture. He knew he was loved by many, most importantly those close to him. My condolences to the family.
Ellen Sambolin

Paterson, NJ

#9 Dec 9, 2008
Raymond Sambolin was my father. He lived with me and my family for the last years of his life and was a lively, enthusiastic, Latino. For the person who made the comment above about only "whites" being noted, well Raymond Sambolin was a noted Puerto Rican musician, as well as a devoted family man.

I remember so clearly hearing the beautiful music of the various instruments he played, in our home.
He spoke about the way the guys used to jam together and just make up songs on the fly. Great music, great person.

I agree with my lovely neice Adrianna above. If you have nothing nice to say, please keep it to yourself. We continue to grieve and it hurts the family.

It was a tragic loss, to lose him in this way. Although the fire department did respond and did get him out, there was a delay while my father lay in the house unconscious. We couldn't go back in because the smoke was so thick we would have been knocked unconscious too.

Thank you so much to those of you who commented on my father in a positive light, and offered condolences. He truly was loved by many and lit the lives of those he interacted with. He always made us laugh.
Ellen Sambolin

Paterson, NJ

#10 Dec 9, 2008
Please, tell me who you are. I would love to hear more about it! I am Raymond's daughter. We have copies of 2 of the records made by Kako y su Combo that my father played with.
seeyaalright wrote:
The father of my old roommate from college (via the Bronx)performed with with him and Tito Puentemany times way back. He was a legend many never heard of. You have a lot to be proud of. He wrote a lot of songs too. Hope you know them, you should get royalties. <quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Barretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Latin jazz bandleader/promoter José Curbel... (Sep '12) Apr '13 Don from Canada 14
Puerto Ricans remember Ray Barretto (Feb '06) Jan '13 HairyGuy 8
Salsa dura en Coral Springs (Jun '09) Jun '11 Guez Graphics 2
Carri n carries onWNY salsa legend thrives by m... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Jorge 1
CD/DOWNLOAD/ALBUM: Mark Anthony Master of Cross... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Teresa 1
Fania Records: Classics Reissued (Nov '09) Nov '09 Hector LaVoe 1
Latin Jazz Drummer Ray Barretto Dies (Feb '06) Dec '08 Manny NJ 10

Ray Barretto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE