Latin Jazz Drummer Ray Barretto Dies

Latin Jazz Drummer Ray Barretto Dies

There are 10 comments on the WTOP-FM Washington story from Feb 17, 2006, titled Latin Jazz Drummer Ray Barretto Dies. In it, WTOP-FM Washington reports that:

Ray Barretto, a Grammy-winning Latin jazz percussionist known for integrating the conga drum into jazz, died Friday, officials said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTOP-FM Washington.

willie bonilla-ny

AOL

#1 Feb 17, 2006
The lord has called another great musician to the heavens.
Like many others before him, he will be missed but through his music, will not be forgotten but remembered forever. Rest in Peace Barretto and as one of your tunes says, Que Viva La Musica.
henry perez

Elizabeth, NJ

#2 Feb 18, 2006
he truly will continue to be giant like celia cruz,tito puente and others ray will be missed dearly for which he still is my insperation.
Carlos

United States

#3 Feb 18, 2006
While he was credited in the Jazz world, he has to also be credited for ivng us some true salsa. The pure non watered down version. Indestructible and so forth are tunes that stll make the dead want to get up. While Ray can not be replaced we need to watch ut for the Kids he has inspired. The future Ray's. Give them the chance that Ray recieved.

QUe DIOS TE CUIDE RAY..
Ozzie Miranda

AOL

#4 Feb 19, 2006
In 1973 I started my carrier as a congero, of corse my hero
and inspration was Ray Barretto, I got too meet him and thank him for his great work and gave him one of my music bussiness cards, told him this is too let you know how much you mean too me and too many others. Love you Ray
you'll be in my thoughts forsever. QUE VIVA LA MUSICA
NegronDanang68

United States

#5 Feb 20, 2006
I was working in Alabama when I heard the news that "The One and Only, Ray Barretto" had passed away, my knees went weak and my heart stated pumpimg faster, last time I saw him was i n The Titos Puentes Amphiteather in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I must add that I live 1 minute from such place, I was ready to repack and go to NY to pay my last respect, but today I found out that he will be burried in old San Juan Cemetery and his wakes will be at Funeraria Ehret, accross the street from me , I now know that he will have a burial he deserve....QUE VIVA LA MUSICA !!!

MAY HE REST IN PEACE, BARRETTO, I STILL HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR
jerry montalvo Iraq

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2006
Rest in Peace brother for your music and your life will beome a legend within the Latin and Jazz community.
Rest and Peace!
ERIC MALDONADO HOWELL Nj

New York, NY

#7 Feb 22, 2006
My introduction to latin music was Ray Barretto he has been my life long inspiration part of the reason Iam a musician is because of him ,and the way he approched it and the person he was Iam 52 and I pray to god I could keep playing that long QUE VIVA LA MUSICA!

Ill always love Ray

thank you ray
a humble musician
eric maldonado
[email protected]
EDDIE MONTALVO

Farmingville, NY

#8 Mar 7, 2007
RAY BARRETTO WAS ONE OF MY IDOLS AS I GREW UP IN THE SOUTH BRONX.I WOULD GO TO SEE HIM PLAY AT THE LOCAL DANCES AND HE WOULD PUT A HELL OF A SHOW.
AS I GOT OLDER AND GOT THE PLEASURE TO MEET HIM I TOLD HIM HOW I FELT ABOUT HIS PLAYING. I INFORMED HIM THAT HE WAS THE REASON WHY I BECAME A CONGA PLAYER.
IN THE YEAR 1979 I WAS HIS BACKUP CONGA DRUMMER WITH THE FANIA ALLSTARS. TWO YEARS AGO MY DAD PASSED ON TO A BETTER LIFE AND THE LATE RAY BARRETTO WAS THERE TO LIFT UP MY SPIRITS.
RAY GOD BLESS YOU
junior travieso bronx ny

AOL

#9 Mar 25, 2007
i had the honor to meet him and be part of hes band an expirence that be with me the rest of my life god bless ray
Manny NJ

Englewood, NJ

#10 Dec 11, 2008
Are you the lead singer for los hermanos moreno?
junior travieso bronx ny wrote:
i had the honor to meet him and be part of hes band an expirence that be with me the rest of my life god bless ray

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ray Barretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Noted Latin jazz saxophonist victim of Levittow... (Jun '08) Aug '16 Dennis Sambolin 11
News Latin jazz bandleader/promoter José Curbel... (Sep '12) Apr '13 Don from Canada 14
News Puerto Ricans remember Ray Barretto (Feb '06) Jan '13 HairyGuy 8
News Salsa dura en Coral Springs (Jun '09) Jun '11 Guez Graphics 2
News Carri n carries onWNY salsa legend thrives by m... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Jorge 1
News CD/DOWNLOAD/ALBUM: Mark Anthony Master of Cross... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Teresa 1
News Fania Records: Classics Reissued (Nov '09) Nov '09 Hector LaVoe 1
More from around the web