Is Amitabh Afraid of Rajesh Khanna ?

Is Amitabh Afraid of Rajesh Khanna ?

Posted in the Rajesh Khanna Forum

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Asli Jat

Castro Valley, CA

#1 Sep 26, 2008
Here is a Star & Style magazine article from the 1980's.

Rajesh Khanna had had a few hits & appeared to be staging a 'comeback' of sorts.

The media were well aware of his rivalry with Amitabh Bachchan & many articles appeared on this subject.

This particular article appears to be tongue-in-cheek.

Unfortunately Rajesh couldn't maintain the momentum ...

What do you think ?
Asli Jat

Castro Valley, CA

#2 Sep 26, 2008
Sorry forgot the link !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/asli_jat/2877078...

Asli Jat
Suhan

Temple Hills, MD

#3 Sep 26, 2008
Ha, ha. Quite a sting there in AB's utterances methinks! Sell milk indeed.
MEE12

Carshalton, UK

#4 Sep 26, 2008
To the subject of this forum - Probably back in the early 70's, but from 1975 onwards no way. Amitabh was an established actor from that year onwards, Rajesh was no threat, and Amitabh was not afraid.

The only actor from 1975 onwards Amitabh was afraid of Dharmendra!!
Suhan

Temple Hills, MD

#5 Sep 26, 2008
MEE, whatever makes you happy. However, based upon reporting at the time in 1984, and as has been noted earlier in this forum, when RK was working on Aaj Ka MLA and AB on Inquilab (both on the same topic i.e. politics), AB sweated blood and tears to finish Inquilab in a hurry so it could release before Aaj Ka MLA because he WAS "scared" of RK.

I just did a post on Aaj Ka MLA--RK was fantastic in it.
Abhijit Roy

India

#6 Sep 26, 2008
Suhan wrote:
MEE, whatever makes you happy. However, based upon reporting at the time in 1984, and as has been noted earlier in this forum, when RK was working on Aaj Ka MLA and AB on Inquilab (both on the same topic i.e. politics), AB sweated blood and tears to finish Inquilab in a hurry so it could release before Aaj Ka MLA because he WAS "scared" of RK.
I just did a post on Aaj Ka MLA--RK was fantastic in it.
Kaka won BEST ACTOR AWARD for Aaj Ka MLA most deservingly by ALL INDIA CRITICS ASSOCIATION, KOLKATA. Nobody except Kaka can made the change of personality of a Barber and a Chief Minister with such a depth and high profile impact. The Diector of the film Mr. D. N. Rao signed him with this believe and Kaka has proved it in to to.
indokarasan

London, UK

#7 Sep 26, 2008
Suhan wrote:
MEE, whatever makes you happy. However, based upon reporting at the time in 1984, and as has been noted earlier in this forum, when RK was working on Aaj Ka MLA and AB on Inquilab (both on the same topic i.e. politics), AB sweated blood and tears to finish Inquilab in a hurry so it could release before Aaj Ka MLA because he WAS "scared" of RK.
I just did a post on Aaj Ka MLA--RK was fantastic in it.
There is no doubt there is/was rivalery between the 2 actors for many years
Also I would suggest that RK did not/has not many friends in the film industry
radzi

Kajang, Malaysia

#8 Sep 26, 2008
I do not think AB was afraid. He was being wary of all sort of competitions.

And behind him are a team of strategies and propaganda machine constantly keeping him fire-up for the "wary".

There was concern about the playing field of actions and anger will end and will come back of Melody Drama.

...but Rajesh was beyond the hill and was actually unorganizedly battling alone with barely 100% effort.
Atul Maini

Jakarta, Indonesia

#9 Sep 26, 2008
Kaka's stardum faded away mainly because of AB.This fact was known to both of them and a definite amount of rivalry was inevitable, no matter what.Being at top also brings some kinds of negative feelings in you such as ; Fear of failure, tendency to take any " not so good" feedback as personal assault etc.
AB knew that Kaka also knows all tricks of trade so when after a gap of nearly 10 yeras Kaka gave two super hits in the form of Avtar and Souten, a feeling of discomfort was there in AB camp.
This was the time when AB had returned after recovering from Coolie accident and people started talking about his down fall .
However though some of the movies were really good, Kaka could not genertae that kind of effect at BO again.
So this battle got finished even before starting in a proper way.
radzi

Kajang, Malaysia

#10 Sep 26, 2008
AB have the sympathy of the whole nation (lead by the PM Ghandi) after the Coolie incident didn't he??

Rajesh lost because he did not have a good team and good supports.
radzi

Kajang, Malaysia

#11 Sep 26, 2008
AJ,

Thanks for some nice slide show you shared off your collection.

I still cannot figure out how to enlarge and read those articles.

Beside the article on AB being afraid of RK, I am also interested to read on what are other various directors thought of RK. Should be interesting read.
Atul Maini

Jakarta, Indonesia

#12 Sep 26, 2008
radzi wrote:
AB have the sympathy of the whole nation (lead by the PM Ghandi) after the Coolie incident didn't he??
Rajesh lost because he did not have a good team and good supports.
These were not the only reasons for Kaka losing out.There were numerous others which already have been discussed several times earlier.
Abhijit

Varanasi, India

#13 Sep 26, 2008
radzi wrote:
I do not think AB was afraid. He was being wary of all sort of competitions.
And behind him are a team of strategies and propaganda machine constantly keeping him fire-up for the "wary".
There was concern about the playing field of actions and anger will end and will come back of Melody Drama.
...but Rajesh was beyond the hill and was actually unorganizedly battling alone with barely 100% effort.
No doubt at all; hundred percent true. Thanks,
Abhijit

Varanasi, India

#14 Sep 26, 2008
Atul Maini wrote:
Kaka's stardum faded away mainly because of AB.This fact was known to both of them and a definite amount of rivalry was inevitable, no matter what.Being at top also brings some kinds of negative feelings in you such as ; Fear of failure, tendency to take any " not so good" feedback as personal assault etc.
AB knew that Kaka also knows all tricks of trade so when after a gap of nearly 10 yeras Kaka gave two super hits in the form of Avtar and Souten, a feeling of discomfort was there in AB camp.
This was the time when AB had returned after recovering from Coolie accident and people started talking about his down fall .
However though some of the movies were really good, Kaka could not genertae that kind of effect at BO again.
So this battle got finished even before starting in a proper way.
Kaka's stardum never faded away. He alone survived during 80s in purely multistar era with his own high merit and polished performance. There were flpos of Amit and others of his contemporaries also in 80s and today also many films have flopped of Amit, SRK etc. On the basis of flop, you can not say end of career of a class performer like Kaka. The fact was that in comparison of Kaka's 69-74 era the box office success of his post 75 films had gone downdars to some extent, but he was fully occupied his stature of top five stars even in multistar era. Mid 70s and 80s onwards were not meant for any single star. That was era of Amit-Dharam-Shashi-Vionod Khanna-Sanjiv Kumar-Shatrughan Sinha-Rishi Kapoor combined era; only Kaka is found in Solo films and in Multistar films with Double roles/central characters. So in all the way ultimately Kaka won the battle with the title of ONE AND ONLY GOLDEN ACTOR OF DADA SAHEB PHALKE ACADEMY AWARD owing to his non comprisation of chalu type masala films.
Atul Maini

Jakarta, Indonesia

#15 Sep 27, 2008
Abhijit:
You say that"Kaka's stardum never faded away".
The man himself felt something else as he was found quoted as below:

"If I had achieved mediocre success and fallen there would have been no pain,but I fell from mount everest,hence the wounds have taken much longer time to heal.(1989)"

What more can I say now.
Abhijit

Varanasi, India

#16 Sep 27, 2008
Atul Maini wrote:
Abhijit:
You say that"Kaka's stardum never faded away".
The man himself felt something else as he was found quoted as below:
"If I had achieved mediocre success and fallen there would have been no pain,but I fell from mount everest,hence the wounds have taken much longer time to heal.(1989)"
What more can I say now.
He may certainly told that but that was in term of Box office result of his films. I have so many interviews of his during 80s, wherein he has also told that hit and flops are just light and shades on the earth, but I am proud that today only such type of challenging characters are coming to me with a believe of the directors that it can be justified by me only. This quote was made by him in an interview in term of Amar Deep, Thodi si Bewafai, Babu, Agar Tum Na Hote, Souten, Avataar, Amrit, Red Rose, Dhanwaan, etc. So I have posted on the same reflection of his interviews read by me during 80s, when the whole industry were united against him commercially.
Indokara to some

London, UK

#17 Sep 27, 2008
Atul Maini wrote:
Abhijit:
You say that"Kaka's stardum never faded away".
The man himself felt something else as he was found quoted as below:
"If I had achieved mediocre success and fallen there would have been no pain,but I fell from mount everest,hence the wounds have taken much longer time to heal.(1989)"
What more can I say now.
absalutely true comment--ive read it
Abhijit

Varanasi, India

#18 Sep 27, 2008
Indokara to some wrote:
<quoted text>
absalutely true comment--ive read it
Now also read my post above it. Do not be biased in negative tune.
Atul Maini

Jakarta, Indonesia

#19 Sep 27, 2008
Abhijit:
First you said that " Kaka's superstadum never faded away" then you said that "He may certainly told that but that was in term of Box office result of his films."

As per my understanding, Superstardum about which we were talking is about BO results only.
How can one actor carry superstardum without any BO success?

In that sense, Kaka's superstardum definitely faded away as is evident from your second statement.
Or do you want to give some more arguments?
Abhijit

Varanasi, India

#20 Sep 27, 2008
Atul Maini wrote:
Abhijit:
First you said that " Kaka's superstadum never faded away" then you said that "He may certainly told that but that was in term of Box office result of his films."
As per my understanding, Superstardum about which we were talking is about BO results only.
How can one actor carry superstardum without any BO success?
In that sense, Kaka's superstardum definitely faded away as is evident from your second statement.
Or do you want to give some more arguments?
I have quoted box office success of his films to some extent in comparison to his films during 69-74. But I have also added that the period in question was not meant for a particular one; that was an era of Multistar and Kaka faught alone as Solo Hero Star in that era. So you should understand upto what extent his stardom was faded. I do not want any misguided statement which reflects any type of underestimation of stature of Kaka.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rajesh Khanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Preeti's research on Gabita's fart. 4 hr Hampora Dampora 25
baharon ke sapne 1967 6 hr Indo 31
News Mukherjee touched the hearts of millions (Aug '06) 7 hr Hampora Dampora 204
Vibrator for Gabita 18 hr Hampora Dampora 61
Film discussion: AGNEEPATH Wed Hampora Dampora 51
News Rajesh Khanna defends his movie (Feb '09) Aug 25 Hampora Dampora 15
twinkle khanna's interview Aug 25 Hampora Dampora 12
More from around the web