Rajesh Khanna's Decline Of 1972

Rajesh Khanna's Decline Of 1972

Posted in the Rajesh Khanna Forum

First Prev
of 107
Next Last
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#1 Jun 6, 2012
In 1972 superstar Rajesh Khanna began the year on a good note by delivering a hat trick of hits Dushman,Amar Prem and Apna Desh.He seemed to be invincible for yet another year.
However,during the second half of 1972 superstar Rajesh Khanna,found the magic carpet pulled from below his feet when six of his films Dil Daulat Aur Duniya,Baawarchi,Joru Ka Ghulam,Mere Jeevan Sathi and Shehzada failed to do well one after another at the box office,shaking the very foundation of his superstardom.
Rajesh Khanna's decline of 1972 happened a year before the arrival of Amitabh Bachchan as the angry young man with Zanjeer in 1973.It would therefore be wrong to consider Amitabh Bachchan responsible for this major mishap at the peak of Rajesh Khanna's superstardom.
Although Rajesh Khanna did have hits in 1973 and 1974 he could not re establish himself again as the unchallenged superstar.
What was the cause behind this failure?Could this failure be prevented and why could Rajesh Khanna not re create his earlier magic are questions which need to be answered and discussed by forum members over here.
MEE12

UK

#3 Jun 6, 2012
Sarkar wrote:
In 1972 superstar Rajesh Khanna began the year on a good note by delivering a hat trick of hits Dushman,Amar Prem and Apna Desh.He seemed to be invincible for yet another year.
However,during the second half of 1972 superstar Rajesh Khanna,found the magic carpet pulled from below his feet when six of his films Dil Daulat Aur Duniya,Baawarchi,Joru Ka Ghulam,Mere Jeevan Sathi and Shehzada failed to do well one after another at the box office,shaking the very foundation of his superstardom.
Rajesh Khanna's decline of 1972 happened a year before the arrival of Amitabh Bachchan as the angry young man with Zanjeer in 1973.It would therefore be wrong to consider Amitabh Bachchan responsible for this major mishap at the peak of Rajesh Khanna's superstardom.
Although Rajesh Khanna did have hits in 1973 and 1974 he could not re establish himself again as the unchallenged superstar.
What was the cause behind this failure?Could this failure be prevented and why could Rajesh Khanna not re create his earlier magic are questions which need to be answered and discussed by forum members over here.
I agree it wasnt Amitabh, but Kaka himself was behind his own failure.
.
Mr A

Gandhinagar, India

#4 Jun 6, 2012
Although I do not agree with what has been said by Mr. Sarkar but these movies were definitely lesser hits - Dil Daulat Aur Duniya,Baawarchi,Joru Ka Ghulam,Mere Jeevan Sathi and Shehzada. All these movies apart from Bawarchi and JKG also did not have strong storyline. Further, there was an over exposure of Rajesh Khanna in these years. He had acted in a lot of movies between 1969 -72 and all of them were major hits so they kept running and people kept seeing him leading to over exposure.

“Super Star Rajesh Khanna”

Since: Jul 10

Secunderabad

#5 Jun 6, 2012
I also dont agree that Dil Daulat Aur Duniya,Baawarchi,Joru Ka Ghulam,Mere Jeevan Sathi and Shehzada has badly. I still remember all these has done fairly very well. Mr Sarkar analysis is absolutely wrong.
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#6 Jun 6, 2012
I forgot to mention Maalik in my list of unsuccessful films of 1972.
I have made a very detailed study on Rajesh Khanna's superstar phrase and the failure of these films of 1972 seemed to have reduced the craze for him as a superstar to some extent.
From early articles I have read there was a lot of cricticism recieved by Khanna for his choice of films in 1972.
Many even regard it as the begining of the end of Rajesh Khanna's superstardom much before the action films era happened from the mid 70s.
It also seems from here that Rajesh Khanna had to keep competiting more with his own superstardom rather than with other stars throughout his entire career.He was required to repeat his very successful phrase of 69 to 72 everytime he delivered a hit later.
Nag shankar

Guntur, India

#7 Jun 7, 2012
The films of rajesh khanna released in 1972 mere jeevan saathi, malik, shezada, dil doulat aur duniya, Bawarchi may not be super duper hits as compared to the movies of 1969-70 of kaka,but the above mentioned movies are not total flops either. In fact, it is said in those days that even the flop movies were used to bring money to the distributors/producers. In no way, they can be termed wash out movies. I still remember, Malik was released in my small home town/birth town - Kharagpur - west bengal - where itn ran to packed houses for 3 weeks. Again I purchased the tickets of Mere jeevan saathi in black . In those day we used to get the tickets of Rs. 1 in 1.50 or 2.00 rupees. Furthermore, malik, mere jeevan sathi, and bawarchi are now class movies. juroo ka gulam and shezada are may not be class but they are OK and chalta hain movies.
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#8 Jun 7, 2012
Nag shankar wrote:
The films of rajesh khanna released in 1972 mere jeevan saathi, malik, shezada, dil doulat aur duniya, Bawarchi may not be super duper hits as compared to the movies of 1969-70 of kaka,but the above mentioned movies are not total flops either. In fact, it is said in those days that even the flop movies were used to bring money to the distributors/producers. In no way, they can be termed wash out movies. I still remember, Malik was released in my small home town/birth town - Kharagpur - west bengal - where itn ran to packed houses for 3 weeks. Again I purchased the tickets of Mere jeevan saathi in black . In those day we used to get the tickets of Rs. 1 in 1.50 or 2.00 rupees. Furthermore, malik, mere jeevan sathi, and bawarchi are now class movies. juroo ka gulam and shezada are may not be class but they are OK and chalta hain movies.
I have not been a witness to RK's superstardom as I was not born in his era.My knowledege of Khanna is from old articles and interviews and that too from the 80s and 90s.In the phrase from 69 to 72 RK had three outright flops Choti Bahu,Dil Daulat Aur Duniya and Maalik.Most of his so called flops actually did average business.
Nag shankar

Guntur, India

#9 Jun 7, 2012
Mr. Sarkar, do you mean to say that Amitabh bachchan did not give any flops during his super star days which perhaps began with Zanzeer( 1973). In fact, Amitabh has more costly and multi starrer flops than kaka. When AB is not consistent with his hits during his super star days then why blame kaka only. Why does not the ruthless media point out the utter flops of amitabh. If we make a list , it will be more than that of kaka in numbers. In fact, no star can give consistent hits- a good movie may become a flop and a bad and faltu movie may also become super hit. As regards, AB - Iman dharam, besharam , gehri chal, kasauti, do aur do panch, kalia, ganga jamuna sarswati, toofan, jadugar are costly flops and some are multi starrer flops. At least, kaka has no multi starrer flops.
Abhijit K Roy

Varanasi, India

#10 Jun 7, 2012
Dear forum friends-- First of all why to evaluate Kakaji's calibre only in term of hit and flop. We all know that besides hit or flop (box office aspect) Kakaji always gave us meaningful films with positive message via his matchless class performances in class films. Whether it is Malik or Bawarchi or Joru Ka Gulam we have learnt a lot of positive aspects along with class entertainment via high standard performance of Kakaji and all time classic songs in those films as well. I do not think that in term of quality films, Malik or Bawarchi, etc. are no less value in comparison to his Aradhana, Anand or Dushman. So it is foolishness to compare the career of Kakaji only on the basis of hit and flop and though with his own films. In whose career only hit and hit films can be found??????????
So far as hit or flop of his films are concerned, myself bought tickets of Mehabooba and Anurodh in black whereas by combined politics against him, later these films were declared as flops.
So friends, these are history and we are eye witness of these facts.

Thanks,
Sarkar

Virar, India

#11 Jun 7, 2012
I consider Rajesh Khanna a superactor rather than just a superstar.His beginning in films was unconventional and even after being regarded as a romantic hero he has been part of very few complete romantic films.RK the actor did meaningful films and he had a very good script sense acknowledege by all the directors he worked.
All my elders who have witnessed his superstardom have only defined him as a super hit hero.He was and will always continue to remain a very important chapter of hindi film history.
MEE12

London, UK

#12 Jun 7, 2012
Abhijit K Roy wrote:
Dear forum friends-- First of all why to evaluate Kakaji's calibre only in term of hit and flop. We all know that besides hit or flop (box office aspect) Kakaji always gave us meaningful films with positive message Thanks,
What was meaningful about Wafaa and Janaa?
.
indo

London, UK

#13 Jun 7, 2012
MEE12 wrote:
<quoted text>
What was meaningful about Wafaa and Janaa?
.
It taught us that we should not smoke and that we are capable of having sex in our old age with a younger woman
Rajendra kumar Fan

Lahore, Pakistan

#14 Jun 7, 2012
He lost fame or superstar tag very early.he was just super-star betwwen 69 to 74.after that he was just a star.
he signed poor movies dil daulat dunia,shezada,...etc..
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#15 Jun 7, 2012
Abhijit K Roy wrote:
Dear forum friends-- First of all why to evaluate Kakaji's calibre only in term of hit and flop. We all know that besides hit or flop (box office aspect) Kakaji always gave us meaningful films with positive message via his matchless class performances in class films. Whether it is Malik or Bawarchi or Joru Ka Gulam we have learnt a lot of positive aspects along with class entertainment via high standard performance of Kakaji and all time classic songs in those films as well. I do not think that in term of quality films, Malik or Bawarchi, etc. are no less value in comparison to his Aradhana, Anand or Dushman. So it is foolishness to compare the career of Kakaji only on the basis of hit and flop and though with his own films. In whose career only hit and hit films can be found??????????
So far as hit or flop of his films are concerned, myself bought tickets of Mehabooba and Anurodh in black whereas by combined politics against him, later these films were declared as flops.
So friends, these are history and we are eye witness of these facts.
Thanks,
Every actor and star in show business is judged mainly on the basis of hits and flops.RK was judged too as he was not just any odinary star.He was given the crown immediately after the success of Aradhana and did not have to struggle too hard to reach the very top and become a superstar.His success,popularity and rise to the top was instant.Hence,he could not afford to make even a small mistake mainly after having reached the highest position for a star.
MEE12

UK

#16 Jun 8, 2012
Sarkar wrote:
<quoted text>
Every actor and star in show business is judged mainly on the basis of hits and flops.RK was judged too as he was not just any odinary star.He was given the crown immediately after the success of Aradhana and did not have to struggle too hard to reach the very top and become a superstar.His success,popularity and rise to the top was instant.Hence,he could not afford to make even a small mistake mainly after having reached the highest position for a star.
The speed he reached to the top was the very same speed he went down from 1972 onwards....slow and steady wins the race...just like Dharmji and Big B.
.
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#17 Jun 8, 2012
MEE12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed he reached to the top was the very same speed he went down from 1972 onwards....slow and steady wins the race...just like Dharmji and Big B.
.
Unlike RK Amitabh always had the right advisors.Kaka had his yes men who only kept boosting his ego rather than guiding him correctly with his career.What happened to RK after 1972 was a result of the wrong company he kept.
Abhijit K Roy

Varanasi, India

#18 Jun 8, 2012
Mr. Sarkar-- I do not understand your foolish statement "after 1972 was a result of the wrong...". The history witnesses Kaka's glorious career upto 1991 then wherefrom comes 1972 in your mind. What do you people want? Does there any star in the world who gave 100% hits only??????
Why no bastard used to write about failure of AB after 2005 onwards in 2000s or after 1985 onwards in 80s. Stop nonsense, we all know today's manipulated and hired bastard media. One thing more, despite of all efforts towards Anti-Kaka movement, RAJESH KHANNA WAS/IS/WILL BE THE ORIGINAL AND FIRST FIRST REAL SUPERSTAR OF INDIAN CINEMA. This is history and no bastard has the guts to delete it......
Thanks,
Rajendra Kumar Fan

Islamabad, Pakistan

#20 Jun 9, 2012
Rajesh khanna worked in cheap movies after 74,so he lost his spot.he also lost his charm after 74.
MEE12

Kettering, UK

#21 Jun 9, 2012
Rajendra Kumar Fan wrote:
Rajesh khanna worked in cheap movies after 74,so he lost his spot.he also lost his charm after 74.
According to Abhijit he was handsome and macho than Dharmji.
.
Sarkar

Mumbai, India

#22 Jun 9, 2012
MEE12 wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Abhijit he was handsome and macho than Dharmji.
.
Rajesh had a mixture of a choclate face and boy next door looks.He was good looking and had pleasing features.He looked his very best in all his films of 1972 especially in Mere Jeevan Sathi.Infact he looks very hot in the Bombay Superstar documentary of 1973 on youtube.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 107
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rajesh Khanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dharmendra-- the under-appreciated superstar (Nov '06) Sep '17 Dharam Fan 3,859
rajesh khanna vs sanjeev kumar (Oct '09) Sep '17 pratikshah 218
What happened to this group? No update since Ma... Jul '17 RKFan 1
Rajesh Khanna filmogrphy - Box office result (Oct '10) Feb '17 Agent 309 Gopal 28
Please list your 5 most favorite Kaka songs (Feb '08) Feb '17 Roshini 660
Rajesh Khanna and his expressions (Dec '14) Feb '17 Roshini 793
Rajesh Khanna the beggar (Nov '16) Jan '17 Roshini 3
More from around the web