Dharmendra-- the under-appreciated su...

Dharmendra-- the under-appreciated superstar

Posted in the Rajesh Khanna Forum

First Prev
of 194
Next Last
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#1 Nov 21, 2006
Phagun,phool aurpatthar,dost,anupama,satyak aam,chupke chupke, guddi,pratiggya etc etc plus a million other commercial successes from this warm jat deserve respect. he was the one who made a superb transition from romance to sentiment to action and survived amit's superstardom with his own intact unlike rajesh who became a hawaldaar by 1979'.

looking back after 30 yrs, he beats rajesh anyday.

he lives with dignity , is respected by his family and all others and is ageing gracefully.

a true superstar and man.
Swarup-N

India

#2 Nov 21, 2006
anad22 wrote:
Phagun,phool aurpatthar,dost,anupama,satyak aam,chupke chupke, guddi,pratiggya etc etc plus a million other commercial successes from this warm jat deserve respect. he was the one who made a superb transition from romance to sentiment to action and survived amit's superstardom with his own intact unlike rajesh who became a hawaldaar by 1979'.
looking back after 30 yrs, he beats rajesh anyday.
he lives with dignity , is respected by his family and all others and is ageing gracefully.
a true superstar and man.
That is exactly I have said several occasion in so many places that if Amit is given Doctorate degree, then why Dharmendra is not given a degree of Professor, where question of performance in action films arises. But Sir, do not compare him with Rajesh Khanna, because it will be a mere foolishness. Dharmendra's performance in social films like Satyakam, Phagun etc. never give much impact as an Actor, however, the subject of these films were surely of Rajesh Khanna film type. But Sir, the standard of performance for characterising the T.B. patient or cancer patient or old aged person, etc. are far far difference. You may again see all these films of Dharmendra and Rajesh Khanna's Anand or Safar or Prem Nagar and Babu or Aap Ki Kasam and then judge my views. Also compare the performance of Dharmendra as Driver in Chupke Chpuke and of Rajesh Khanna in Anurodh. The difference of class and mass will automatically appear.

Further, in Janta Hawaladar, the performance of Rajesh Khanna is also superb, however, the direction of the film was as usual Late Mahmood type, but overall the film was good and as Hawaldar and later on as a T.B. Patient, Rajesh Khanna was superb. Compare with sense; and not in air, Sir. In term of facial exprssion of Rajesh Khanna no body can not beat him; not even any Sanjeev Kumar or Nasir, etc. Dharmendra to Bachha Hai is mamle mein.
Sulena Dash- USA

India

#3 Nov 21, 2006
anad22 wrote:
Phagun,phool aurpatthar,dost,anupama,satyak aam,chupke chupke, guddi,pratiggya etc etc plus a million other commercial successes from this warm jat deserve respect. he was the one who made a superb transition from romance to sentiment to action and survived amit's superstardom with his own intact unlike rajesh who became a hawaldaar by 1979'.
looking back after 30 yrs, he beats rajesh anyday.
he lives with dignity , is respected by his family and all others and is ageing gracefully.
a true superstar and man.
Dharmendra was never a Superstar. Because he came much before Rajesh Khanna and the Superstar word first time introduced in India with Rajesh Khanna. What are you asking for and why are you trying to distort the history?
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#4 Nov 22, 2006
dharmendra never a superstar?
where have u lived all your life?
Swarup-N

India

#5 Nov 22, 2006
anad22 wrote:
dharmendra never a superstar?
where have u lived all your life?
I have already explained it in my previous reply. Kindly try to understand my point. However, I reiterate that in the Indian Film History the First Super Star is Rajesh Khanna (with solo star stanard films) and Amitabh is in second number (with multistarrer masala films). Rest of others (Amitabh onwards) do not deserve any number. AND DHARMENDRA APPEARED IN THE SILVER SCREEN MUCH BEFORE RAJESH AND AMITABH. SO HOW CAN YOU CALL HIM AS SUPERSTAR.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#6 Nov 22, 2006
SO ACCORDING TO YOU DILIP KUMAR IS NOT A SUPERSTAR? JUST BECAUSE HE ALSO APPEARED MUCH BEFORE RK?
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#7 Nov 22, 2006
YOU SEEM TO BE A BUNCH OF GUYS WITH YOUR HEAD STUCK IN THE SAND OR FROGS IN A SMALL WELL WITH NOTHING BUT RAJESH KHANNA IN YOUR MINDS...WHAT THE REST OF INDIA LIKES OR DISLIKES OR THINKS IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE TO YOU.
FOR YOU RAJESH CAN DO NO WRONG AND ALL OTHERS CAN DO NO RIGHT..
EVERY FILM OF RAJESH IS GREAT ; EVERY FILM OF OTHERS IS CHEAP,,
EVERY HIT OF RAJESH IS SOLO ; EVERY HIT OF OTHERS HAS A HUNDRED HEROS

YOU GUYS ARE STUCK IN THE SHANGRI LA OF 1969-72 WHEN KAKA WAS KING.
Swarup-N

India

#8 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
YOU SEEM TO BE A BUNCH OF GUYS WITH YOUR HEAD STUCK IN THE SAND OR FROGS IN A SMALL WELL WITH NOTHING BUT RAJESH KHANNA IN YOUR MINDS...WHAT THE REST OF INDIA LIKES OR DISLIKES OR THINKS IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE TO YOU.
FOR YOU RAJESH CAN DO NO WRONG AND ALL OTHERS CAN DO NO RIGHT..
EVERY FILM OF RAJESH IS GREAT ; EVERY FILM OF OTHERS IS CHEAP,,
EVERY HIT OF RAJESH IS SOLO ; EVERY HIT OF OTHERS HAS A HUNDRED HEROS
YOU GUYS ARE STUCK IN THE SHANGRI LA OF 1969-72 WHEN KAKA WAS KING.
TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE FACT. I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT BEFORE 1947 HOW WOULD YOU SAY THAT INDIA IS AN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY. JUST AS THE SAME WAY BEFORE INTRODUCTION OF THE WORD SUPERSTAR HOW EVERYBODY CAN BE CALLED SUPERSTAR.
Swarup-N

India

#9 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
SO ACCORDING TO YOU DILIP KUMAR IS NOT A SUPERSTAR? JUST BECAUSE HE ALSO APPEARED MUCH BEFORE RK?
YES SIR, TRY TO UNDERSTAND THE FACT. I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND THAT BEFORE 1947 HOW WOULD YOU SAY THAT INDIA IS AN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY. JUST AS THE SAME WAY BEFORE INTRODUCTION OF THE WORD SUPERSTAR HOW EVERYBODY CAN BE CALLED SUPERSTAR. LEARN FROM WIKIPEDIA THE ORIGIN OF SUPERSTAR TITLE.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#10 Nov 23, 2006
please !!! are u saying that dilipsaab did not make that kind of impact on indians?
who cares when the term was coined? he was all that and more!just because someone used the term in 70 that does not mean that there were no actors who were universally loved and admired before that.
who are u kidding?
Swarup-N

India

#11 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
please !!! are u saying that dilipsaab did not make that kind of impact on indians?
who cares when the term was coined? he was all that and more!just because someone used the term in 70 that does not mean that there were no actors who were universally loved and admired before that.
who are u kidding?
RAJ KAPOOR AND DEV ANAND WERE ALSO SHARE SAME POPULARITY ALONG WITH DILIPSAB. BUT RAJESH KHANNA RULED HIS KINGDOM ALL ALONE, SO HE IS THE FIRST AND LAST SUPER STAR. GO TO LOVEMARK PAGE OR WIKIPEDIA OF RAJESH KHANNA AND CONFIRM.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#12 Nov 23, 2006
sorry ...dharam also had great hits during this period...so nobody ruled alone...its the same media that you blame which boosted kaka ahead of dharam inspite of dharam also being successful
Swarup-N

Jaunpur, India

#13 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
sorry ...dharam also had great hits during this period...so nobody ruled alone...its the same media that you blame which boosted kaka ahead of dharam inspite of dharam also being successful
KAKA RULED AS SUPER STAR AS WELL AS A GREAT ACTOR WITH CLASS AND VERSATILE. DHARMENDRA ON THE OTHER PLAYED IN GOOD ACTION FILMS BASICALLY WITH HIS HI MAN IMAGE. HE IS NOT A CLASS ACTOR IN TERM OF CHARACTERIZATION OR EXPRESSION OF CRITICAL SITUATION. COMPARE KAKA'S CHARACTERIZATION IN ANAND SAFAR ON THE ONE HAND AND APNA DESH OR DUSHMAN ON THE OTHER. AN CLASSIC EXAMPLE OF INFINITE RANGE OF VERSATILITY. THANKS
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#14 Nov 23, 2006
pls see satyakam or phagun
Abhijit K Roy-India

Ahmedabad, India

#15 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
pls see satyakam or phagun
Without watching any film I never comment. I have already mentioned in this forum that in Satyakam or Phagun, he is far far inferior in term of class acting in comparison of Anand, Safar or Dard. These films may be standard quality but so far as perfect characterization is concerned Dharmendra does not come upto the perfection. He can not express the inner feelings of human being with depth. He is a medicore performer and was perfectly suited for action roles.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#16 Nov 23, 2006
you seem to prefer melodramatic , over the top hamming kaka style to subtle understated performances....compare the two in rajpoot or dharam and kannon
Abhijit K -Roy

Varanasi, India

#17 Nov 23, 2006
anad22 wrote:
you seem to prefer melodramatic , over the top hamming kaka style to subtle understated performances....compare the two in rajpoot or dharam and kannon
In both these films KAKA WAS FAR FAR SUPERIOR. IT SEEMS THAT YOU KNOW ACTING MEANS FIGHTING AND LOUD DIALOGUE DELIVERY. REVIEW IT ON THE BASIS OF CHARACTERIZATION. THANKS.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#18 Nov 24, 2006
not at all sir...where is the fighting and loud dialogue in satyakam or phagun?
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#19 Nov 24, 2006
or in anupama or bandini ...classics. be fair,sir.
anad22

Singapore, Singapore

#20 Nov 24, 2006
Sir ..it is apparent you LOVE kaka to distraction and beyond all things...but dont be blind to his warts...and his pretty face indeed has them..like everyone else. then you will like him the more for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 194
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rajesh Khanna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Known,Unknown Facts about RAJESH KHANNA (Aug '12) 4 hr RK4ever 2,697
Palkon ki chhaon mein : RK in a postman's look !! 13 hr Atiq 10
babu (Jan '09) 21 hr Atiq 62
The making of Aradhana (Jun '09) Jun 26 Indo 182
News Zindagi Ek Safar Hai Rajesh Khanna Kishore Kuma... (Oct '10) Jun 26 Indo 12
Defining moment Kaka vs AB Jun 25 RK4ever 21
4 Years and the IMMORTAL effect. Jun 25 VIPIN0128 472
More from around the web