For music fans, Virgin sacrifice was heaven-sent

Full story: Inland Valley Daily Bulletin

TWO YEARS ago, Tower Records has a closeout sale, an event that seemed like the end of an era for music fans.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jan 15, 2009
Ronald Scott

Pomona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2009

Im at Rhino everytime I get paid!!!
Licensed To Ill

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

Thanks for the tip on losing the Virgin. I scored their last copy of the Beastie Boy's "Sounds of Science." Downloaded it into my computer. Now I'll probably trade it in at Amoeba in Hollywood.(Props to Rhino/Paradiso, but Amoeba is well worth the drive)
Victim of Mervyns

Wailuku, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

I know the real point of your article is geared towards music collecting and the good ol' days, but as a recent victim of a retail bankruptcy, it's a bit disheartening. I got great deals when the Wherehouse went belly up,$5 blues CDs when the store was picked over since blues is unpopular in So. Cal.

However, now that I've been through a going-out-of-business sale on the other side of the register, I'm not sure I'll be able to patronize another. Many thoughts of "maybe if you shopped here before, we wouldn't be going out of business." (even if, in Mervyns case, this isn't true). Indeed, we need to patronize places like Rhino Records.

For the most part, employees don't care if stuff sells or the liquidator makes money, they just want the store to close ASAP so they can start collecting unemployment if they've been unable to find work in such a bad economy. Not to mention, it stings a bit to see vultures come out and spend money like crazy on "good deals" when so many laid off are facing an unsure future.

In my opinion, the music industry needs to come to grips with the reality of online music availability and drop the prices of AV media, otherwise brick and mortar stores will be a fond memory. If CDs/DVDs were $10, I'm sure a lot more people would be willing to buy them.
joe price

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

its a shame that tower and virgin left the sunset strip, all they have now is macdonalds.
nomore

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

I checked out the numbers a few years ago. There is room for profit selling new music CDs for $5 so long as the band is not big (in numbers), and it knows how to play the songs before it goes into the studio. Many of the greatest jazz albums were recorded in the space of a few hours: 2 takes of each song, pick the best. It is the A&R costs and bloated management salaries that pushes the prices up so high.
toocool4school

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2009

you should just download music. illegally. it's way cheaper.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent R.E.M. Discussions

Search the R.E.M. Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Can A Safer Ambien Make Billions? Merck Aims To... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Norris 6
Krist Novoselic Reflects On Nirvana Ahead Of 'I... (Oct '13) Oct '13 karla81 1
superstar concerts featuring REM (Apr '13) Apr '13 ali 1
It's the end of everything as we know it (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mary 1
Ad of the Day: Sony Xperia Z (Mar '13) Mar '13 tigger31086 1
Ltr t editor from Lexington (Jan '13) Jan '13 Obama 1
R.E.M. song is a hit again (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sopranos Card Table 1
•••
•••