R.E.M. Lead Singer Admits He's Gay

R.E.M. Lead Singer Admits He's Gay

There are 49 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Mar 19, 2008, titled R.E.M. Lead Singer Admits He's Gay. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe is out of the closet. Stipe tells Spin magazine that he "didn't always see" how publicly announcing that he was gay could help others.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
GA DAWG

Camden, SC

#1 Mar 19, 2008
We already knew he was,,,now live and let live,,,,
Latrick

Irmo, SC

#2 Mar 19, 2008
OMG!!!! I WOULD HAVE NEVER SUSPECTED THIS!

“There's no vaccine for stupid.”

Since: Feb 08

Here, there, everywhere

#3 Mar 19, 2008
((gasp))
dude

Columbia, SC

#4 Mar 19, 2008
Duh!
Cassie

Columbia, SC

#5 Mar 19, 2008
Who didn't know this already?
have mercy

Camden, SC

#6 Mar 19, 2008
That's not a shock. You can look at him and tell. DUH

“Speak your mind.”

Since: Aug 07

Chester, SC

#7 Mar 19, 2008
have mercy wrote:
That's not a shock. You can look at him and tell. DUH
LOL!
Smiley

United States

#8 Mar 19, 2008
R.E.M. Lead Singer Admits He's QUEER

Gay, Homosexual = QUEER - use the correct terminology, please!
Frankie

Columbia, SC

#9 Mar 20, 2008
NO WAY!! LOL...he makes Richard Simmons seem manly!
underhay

Chapin, SC

#10 Mar 20, 2008
i wonder if his bandmates are shocked? heh heh heh
REManiac

Columbia, SC

#11 Mar 20, 2008
Well, during their tour Michael Stipe used to go over and give the bass player, Mike Mills, a big, passionate kiss after they would play "Why Not Smile."
He wasn't always gay; he used to secretly date Natalie Merchant, so I guess he was straight, then bi, and now gay.
R.E.M. is great; the things have done for Athens,Ga., are unmeasurable. R.E.M. are also responsible for the growth in rock music in the South, especially the Columbia-area acts (ie. Hootie).

“Missing my boys :(”

Since: Jan 08

Cayce, SC

#12 Mar 20, 2008
Must be a slow news day to waste headlines with this. I dont give a rats hind end if the man is gay, I still like the music. R.E.M. rocked in the day, and they still do.
REManiac

Columbia, SC

#13 Mar 20, 2008
That was a good game last night, Hockey Girl, with Faulkner lifting the Inferno with his shoot out goal.
Unfathomable

Birmingham, AL

#15 Mar 20, 2008
This isn't news anymore. Stipe came out 4-5 years ago, when discussing his partner.
Good for him, though. GBLTQ youth need as many good role-models in different aspects of life as they can get.

REM rocks.

Since: Jul 07

San Antonio, TX

#16 Mar 20, 2008
well no duh...this isn't a surprise.
Mark Phillips

Myrtle Beach, SC

#17 Mar 20, 2008
Being gay isn't something one "admits" to. Stealing, lying, cheating, etc. are things one "admits" to.
miss thang

United States

#18 Mar 20, 2008
smiley
go to x gay you dont even know a gay person you are very uneducated. get a life smiley . lets meet i will kiss you all over i am a big drag queen se ya
Irishdog

United States

#22 Mar 21, 2008
REManiac wrote:
Well, during their tour Michael Stipe used to go over and give the bass player, Mike Mills, a big, passionate kiss after they would play "Why Not Smile."
He wasn't always gay; he used to secretly date Natalie Merchant, so I guess he was straight, then bi, and now gay.
R.E.M. is great; the things have done for Athens,Ga., are unmeasurable. R.E.M. are also responsible for the growth in rock music in the South, especially the Columbia-area acts (ie. Hootie).
Don't blame REM for Hootie.
irmite

United States

#23 Mar 21, 2008
This story is as old as the crust on my granddaddy's arse.
old salt dog

Columbia, SC

#24 Mar 21, 2008
he was right, it's obvious

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

R.E.M. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News R.E.M. And Zeppelin Members Jam Together (Nov '15) Nov '15 mats Stockholm 1
News Joseph Arthur Photography Exhibit Opens 3/13 at... (Feb '15) Feb '15 amyli 1
News Can A Safer Ambien Make Billions? Merck Aims To... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Norris 6
News Krist Novoselic Reflects On Nirvana Ahead Of 'I... (Oct '13) Oct '13 karla81 1
superstar concerts featuring REM (Apr '13) Apr '13 ali 1
News It's the end of everything as we know it (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mary 1
News Ad of the Day: Sony Xperia Z (Mar '13) Mar '13 tigger31086 1
More from around the web