Review: R.E.M. and Modest Mouse at Jones Beach

Full story: Newsday 12
When R.E.M. took the stage in the waning moments of a Jones Beach lightning storm late Saturday night, it was a scientific fact: There was electricity in the air. Full Story
bmac

Scarborough, Canada

#1 Jun 16, 2008
You forgot to mention that the audience only got 1:20 out of R.E.M. because of the storm. I guess I'll stay indoors from now on where they've been doing over 2 hours on this tour, rather than spend a fortune and take my chances. Don't get me wrong - they were great - but at those prices, I expect a full show.
suzanne yaroshyk

Northport, NY

#2 Jun 16, 2008
with the impending storms brewing around jones beach saturday night and the crowd braving the weather to see rem they should have taken the stage by 8:00 even if it meant that their opening acts cut theirs in half.

once the terrential downpours started, lighting every minute, and metal staircases to evacuate down, who in their right mind would hang around there???? if the band had any sense, they should have cancelled the show for another day, but instead they choose to screw those who didnt want to risk their lives in a lightening storm. they suck!
Caffeinated

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Jun 16, 2008
Just a clarification: the band doesn't make the decision to cancel -- the venue does. If the staff at Jones Beach say it's OK to play, the band can either honor that and play, or cancel. If they choose the latter, they are not permitted to reschedule or refund -- the band -- and their fans -- are out the money. REM did the only thing they could do under the circumstances: they played. And fantastically, at that.
Ken Boswell

West New York, NJ

#5 Jun 16, 2008
suzanne yaroshyk wrote:
with the impending storms brewing around jones beach saturday night and the crowd braving the weather to see rem they should have taken the stage by 8:00 even if it meant that their opening acts cut theirs in half.
once the terrential downpours started, lighting every minute, and metal staircases to evacuate down, who in their right mind would hang around there???? if the band had any sense, they should have cancelled the show for another day, but instead they choose to screw those who didnt want to risk their lives in a lightening storm. they suck!
For those who left, they missed a great show!
Effigy of the Forgotten

United States

#6 Jun 16, 2008
let me know when a good show comes around.
Luke

AOL

#7 Jun 16, 2008
This show was awesome, between the thrill of possibly being struck by lightning and being able to see two of my favorite bands on the same night, it really was a night to remember. The best part was when a huge bolt crashed just over our heads, and scared the crap out of modest mouse. That prompted them to evacuate the stadium (no one left though) Then later in the night, just as R.E.M started "Bad Day" another huge bolt of lightning came down out over the beach. Very wild night, and a good show at that.
BMo

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jun 16, 2008
Re: Caffeinted's comments...

You are wrong. If the venue is not responsible enough to look after the safety of the concert goers, than REM should have done the right thing and protected their fans by calling the show off. They most certainly could have refused to go on, subsequently taking the matter to the media, and making sure that refunds or a new date were provided to the fans.(After all, doesn't Stipe like to fashion himself as some kind of social crusader for the people.) Instead, they failed their fans and subjected everyone in the venue to dangerously unsafe conditions. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Caffeinated

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Jun 16, 2008
BMo: that opinion is borderline ridiculous. You're affording the band a degree of power that they generally don't have in a situation like that. This isn't as simple as canceling a high school choir concert -- it's a huge operation that involves an incredible amount of both time and money. Never mind the fact that Live Nation would have been within their rights to sue the band for breach of contract, to embargo future deals with the group, etc etc. You say that the band could have "made sure" refunds or a reschedule were provided, but how, exactly, would they have done that? If they violated the venue's order to play, it's extremely unlikely the venue would allow them to reschedule a few months down the line. As far as providing refunds: ticket buyers information is not held by the band, but by Ticketmaster.

Look, no one was happy about what happened Saturday night -- I'm sure REM wasn't thrilled about having electrical equipment strapped to them in the middle of a lightning storm. But to suggest this is a simple 'yes or no' decision is to fail to understand just how complicated the live music megalopolis has become.
Chazzerts

Litchfield, CT

#10 Jun 16, 2008
Have to agree with previous poster BMo on this. Anyone who was there understands how dangerous it was. Lightning actually HIT the place. Not near or around it, it actually hit Jones Beach Theater. Stipe and Co. can make a thousand excuses for going along with LiveNation and theater management, but it was definitely the wrong decision and endangered the welfare of the people in the audience. Public safety should ALWAYS come first. At best REM are moral cowards for going along with this, at worst greedy and uncaring. They owe the fans an apology and should pressure LiveNation and Ticketmaster to provide refunds.
Stormy

Norwood, MA

#12 Jun 21, 2008
After the building was hit by lighting we evacuated the building as we were told (the parking lot was flooded horribly). After the thunderstorm did not let up we choose to leave for our safety (and we really did not think the show would go on). Is anybody thinking of taking this to Small Claims court vs Live Nation? This is really an issue of public safety. If we were told to evacuate the building because it was unsafe in a lightning storm , and then they choose to hold the concert IN the lightning storm still. Didn't they pretty much acknowledge that it was unsafe. Corporate greed if you ask me! I will never go to a show at Jones Beach again (they will loose a lot of money over the years with that). But I think it should be public knowledge that Live Nation is willing to put concert goers at risk to make an extra buck. There are plenty of other venues to see concerts at in NYC.
Jan

AOL

#13 Jun 25, 2008
If you left you missed a wonderful show that I am still thinking about. They management told people that the show would start again at 10:00. It did. There was something very specail about 15,000 people standing in the rain to see a truly fabulous concert. They rarely cancel a show at Jones Beach. I happen to have been at the Fray concert last summer and it rained twice as hard. It was cancelled and rescheduled for a later date. It was worth coming back for. I am hoping that my next show there is on a nice evening. I am still drying out!
Doug

Ramer, AL

#14 Jul 24, 2008
Man, I missed the ATL show and had a chance to go.
aw my first REM show in Miami in 1984. Ahh, the IRS years... BTW, saw an IRS new shirt on ebay today!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

R.E.M. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can A Safer Ambien Make Billions? Merck Aims To... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Norris 6
Krist Novoselic Reflects On Nirvana Ahead Of 'I... (Oct '13) Oct '13 karla81 1
superstar concerts featuring REM (Apr '13) Apr '13 ali 1
It's the end of everything as we know it (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mary 1
Ad of the Day: Sony Xperia Z (Mar '13) Mar '13 tigger31086 1
Ltr t editor from Lexington (Jan '13) Jan '13 Obama 1
R.E.M. song is a hit again (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sopranos Card Table 1
•••
•••

R.E.M. People Search