R.E.M. goes electric at Merriweather

R.E.M. goes electric at Merriweather

There are 19 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Jun 13, 2008, titled R.E.M. goes electric at Merriweather. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Finally, after about a decade of somber, shapeless, atmospheric keyboard noodling, R.E.M. has charged up the guitars again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

westside

Baltimore, MD

#1 Jun 13, 2008
I was there more for Modest Mouse than for REM but still wanted to see how REM was doing after all these years. I was a big fan of REM when I was in high school, but Wednesday night's show left me a little cold. Maybe I am just over them. Unfortunately Modest Mouse was not on long enough. I left early.
Kevin

Baltimore, MD

#2 Jun 13, 2008
REM was fabulous and looked like they were genuinely happy to be there. A great evening.
GHT

Portland, OR

#3 Jun 13, 2008
westside wrote:
I was there more for Modest Mouse than for REM but still wanted to see how REM was doing after all these years. I was a big fan of REM when I was in high school, but Wednesday night's show left me a little cold. Maybe I am just over them. Unfortunately Modest Mouse was not on long enough. I left early.
are you sure you didn't mean Secret Squirrel?
high rises on the range

Brisbane, Australia

#4 Jun 13, 2008
Micheal Stipe should be at the top of the "Most Powerful Celebrity" list. When he speaks, I hang off every word.
Attila the Hon

United States

#5 Jun 13, 2008
westside wrote:
Mr. Ollison must not know anything about rock music. How can you write an article about last night's concert and not even acknowledge Modest Mouse? I'm pretty certain that a lot of people feel the same way like westside. I, for one, agree that Modest Mouse is the better band now. Some people say that REM hasn't been the same since the departure of Bill Berry. I think they haven't been the same since they released the "Monster" album.

Since: Dec 07

Columbia, Maryland

#6 Jun 13, 2008
Frankly, I thought Rashod nailed this review. I certainly didn't go to see Modest Mouse, but they were nice background music. Attila - you should give Accelerate a real listen if you liked older REM albums. It's a solid return to form.
boughtmedia

Romulus, MI

#7 Jun 13, 2008
The anger seethed in "Ignoreland," which includes such lines as "The paper's terrified to report anything that isn't handed on a presidential spoon." Ouch. To further intensify the venom, Stipes dropped two expletives in the song.

Hey dingdong - your researcher screwed up - that song was written during the Clinton administration...
jwc

Baltimore, MD

#8 Jun 13, 2008
great concert! i liked the intro to orange crush and the robot dance during what's the frequency, kenneth?
unbelievaboh

Baltimore, MD

#9 Jun 14, 2008
the concert was awful. whiney lead vocals and uninspired guitar. they were simply going through the motions.

hanging on stipe's every word? please. the guy only ever bitches. no substance whatsoever.
jwc

Baltimore, MD

#10 Jun 14, 2008
unbelievaboh is probably one of those conservatives that always comments on this board bitching about o-malley "mom", etc and took offense to the liberal political comments from stipe.
that has nothing to do with the music though. if you think rem's music consists of "whiney lead vocals and uninspired guitar" then why did you go?
patrick

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jun 14, 2008
unbelievaboh wrote:
the concert was awful. whiney lead vocals and uninspired guitar. they were simply going through the motions.
hanging on stipe's every word? please. the guy only ever bitches. no substance whatsoever.
That's cool to read --'cos the five times i saw r.e.m. in concert, Stipe's whiny voice was all i remembered. r.e.m. should really give it up --'cos now they suck live AND in the studio!
unbelievaboh

Baltimore, MD

#13 Jun 17, 2008
jwc wrote:
great concert! i liked the intro to orange crush and the robot dance during what's the frequency, kenneth?
if a half assed robot dance is what you liked most about the concert, you make my point for me. the performance sucked.
GotoSchool

Pleasanton, CA

#14 Jun 17, 2008
unbelievaboh wrote:
<quoted text>
if a half assed robot dance is what you liked most about the concert, you make my point for me. the performance sucked.
Aren't you and Patrick late for homeroom? No one believes that you went to the show, or have ever seen R.E.M. much less 5 times. Make sure you go home today and listen to your System of a Down CD with your pants off like you do every Tuesday.
Learn to Read

Pleasanton, CA

#15 Jun 17, 2008
boughtmedia wrote:
The anger seethed in "Ignoreland," which includes such lines as "The paper's terrified to report anything that isn't handed on a presidential spoon." Ouch. To further intensify the venom, Stipes dropped two expletives in the song.
Hey dingdong - your researcher screwed up - that song was written during the Clinton administration...
The article said "Houston" was about the lack of government response to Katrina, nothing was written in reference to "Ignoreland's" time period.
unbelievaboh

Baltimore, MD

#16 Jun 17, 2008
GotoSchool wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you and Patrick late for homeroom? No one believes that you went to the show, or have ever seen R.E.M. much less 5 times. Make sure you go home today and listen to your System of a Down CD with your pants off like you do every Tuesday.
you see there? i'm critical of a concert that i went to and feel was much more lackluster than the article portrayed. you're trying to get personal about someone you've never met and have no idea about. who needs to grow up?

btw... i hear NKOTB does a nasty robot.
GotoSchool

Pleasanton, CA

#17 Jun 17, 2008
unbelievaboh wrote:
<quoted text>
you see there? i'm critical of a concert that i went to and feel was much more lackluster than the article portrayed. you're trying to get personal about someone you've never met and have no idea about. who needs to grow up?
btw... i hear NKOTB does a nasty robot.
If you actually went to the concert (which I still have my doubts about), what were you expecting? They sounded pretty much like they do recorded. If you don't like that, fine, but you act like you got something totally different than REM. Patrick on the other hand probably hasn't been alive long enough to see REM FIVE TIMES. Unless of course he follows them on tour to complain about every show. That would make A LOT of sense.

Don't Forget to DO YOUR HOMEWORK right after TRL!
unbelievaboh

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jun 17, 2008
i stopped listening to REM when i was in high school. that was back in 'out of time' days. i admit i was dragged by my gf (an UGA grad who has a soft spot for athens rock) but i wouldn't have gone if i wasn't optimistic for their ability to put on a good show. they didn't. as i said before, it was obvious that they were going through the motions. other comments have suggested the same. even my gf said the same, though the only time she had seen them prior was an impromptu appearance in athens-- hardly comparable.

believe me. i'm not the type to claim that i went to an REM show not having gone.
GotoSchool

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Jun 17, 2008
I'm more into Document and the stuff before. They were really counter culture for the 80's. If you were in High School in the early 90's you must remember the bands that were about the music and not putting on a "SHOW". I understand if you're not that into them but you really shouldn't expect a high energy stage show and a guitar shredding orgy of sound. I would have preferred if Stipe kept his political views in his lyrics. So I agree that it was preachy at times.
sara

Baltimore, MD

#20 Dec 23, 2008
OMG that was a AWSOME concert I loved modest mouse and let's not forget the national but the MAIN attraction was R.E.M. I have loved R.E.M. for 15 years and they can do now wrong I hang off Michael Stipe's every word also and he doesn't just bitch as somebody put it but life is hard and if somebody doesn't stand up and say no more crap than it's only going to get worse so it's about time that somebody has enough guts to stand up and speak and God bless you Michael it's you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

R.E.M. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News R.E.M. And Zeppelin Members Jam Together (Nov '15) Nov '15 mats Stockholm 1
News Joseph Arthur Photography Exhibit Opens 3/13 at... (Feb '15) Feb '15 amyli 1
News R.E.M. Lead Singer Admits He's Gay (Mar '08) Nov '14 lelelelelel 49
News Can A Safer Ambien Make Billions? Merck Aims To... (Oct '12) Oct '13 Norris 6
News Krist Novoselic Reflects On Nirvana Ahead Of 'I... (Oct '13) Oct '13 karla81 1
superstar concerts featuring REM (Apr '13) Apr '13 ali 1
News It's the end of everything as we know it (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mary 1
More from around the web