Bringing Michael Jackson Back: The In...

Bringing Michael Jackson Back: The Inside Story of 'Xscape'

There are 17 comments on the Billboard story from May 5, 2014, titled Bringing Michael Jackson Back: The Inside Story of 'Xscape'. In it, Billboard reports that:

A little less than a year ago, L.A. Reid met John Branca for dinner at Cecconi's in West Hollywood.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Billboard.

Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#1 May 5, 2014
Elvis and Johnny Cash were both Sun recording artists and they sold the most of any other dead artists last year. However, as popular as Johnny is, he still did not outsell Elvis. Very impressive, Elvis.

1. Elvis
Total sales...1.1 Million

2. Johnny Cash
Total sales...969k

3. Michael Jackson
Total sales...584k

4. Jimi Hendrix
Total sales...539k

5. Whitney Houston...310k

Bite me.
Ted

Washington, DC

#2 May 5, 2014
Octopus wrote:
Elvis and Johnny Cash were both Sun recording artists and they sold the most of any other dead artists last year. However, as popular as Johnny is, he still did not outsell Elvis. Very impressive, Elvis.
1. Elvis
Total sales...1.1 Million
2. Johnny Cash
Total sales...969k
3. Michael Jackson
Total sales...584k
4. Jimi Hendrix
Total sales...539k
5. Whitney Houston...310k
Bite me.
You did not read this article correctly. This number (584k) is not the total sales for all Michael Jackson albums sold from last year. This is the total sales for the Michael album release from 2010 only.

"The first, 2010's Michael, focused on the most recent material Jackson was recording in the years leading up to his death. It was completed by a half dozen producers, many from the original sessions, who tried to carry out his intentions as best they could. The results fell well short of Jackson's studio perfectionism. Branca calls the process "somewhat chaotic" and notes it lacked an overall guiding vision.In the time since its release, Michael has posted sales of 540,000 — by no means overwhelming. "
Fun Fact

United States

#3 May 5, 2014
@Ted: You are mistaken. The article clearly states that MJs sells last year were 584k.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#4 May 5, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not read this article correctly. This number (584k) is not the total sales for all Michael Jackson albums sold from last year. This is the total sales for the Michael album release from 2010 only.
"The first, 2010's Michael, focused on the most recent material Jackson was recording in the years leading up to his death. It was completed by a half dozen producers, many from the original sessions, who tried to carry out his intentions as best they could. The results fell well short of Jackson's studio perfectionism. Branca calls the process "somewhat chaotic" and notes it lacked an overall guiding vision.In the time since its release, Michael has posted sales of 540,000 — by no means overwhelming. "
Dude, I've read it correctly.

In 2010, the cd "Michael" sold 540k. The article is talking about what these dead artists sold last year, which was 2013. Elvis and Johnny Cash obviously did good business. Of course, the recording industry apparently is not doing very well nowadays, is it? Since I've clearly read that Michael Jackson only sold 8 million in the year of his death and is at a little over 12 million now. It means that Wacko only sold 4 million in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 combined. Those are terrible numbers when you consider what Elvis sold in the first 5 years of his death from 1977-1982. Hundreds of millions of records.

Why?

It was because the music industry was booming in that period. People were still buying the physical product.
Michael I want you back

UK

#7 May 5, 2014
Not one of you clowns on this forum have the right to have any say about Michael what so ever.I cant wait for the new album.it will be number one by the number one selling artist of all time.cant wait to see these clowns faces when he reaches the top once again.the world Just loves Michael.and there is nothing any of these clowns can do about it Michael will have the last laugh.any way we
Are the fans,we love him,we are the ones that care about him.we are the ones that buy his Music,we
Are the ones that buy his blu ray and dvds,we are the ones that buy his Merchandise we are the ones that see every tribute show.which are all sold out by the way,we the fans will never let him down
We will make sure his legacy will live on forever
He will never ever be forgotten.the generations that see his shows the king will live forever.thank you
Michael for all these beautiful songs you left us what would we do without them what would we ever do without him. And so many more beautiful unreleased songs to be released.
cookie monster

London, UK

#8 May 5, 2014
Why y'all hatin' on poor li'l Mikey. He aint done nothing to nobody.You hateful people will all go to hell.
Michael I want you back

UK

#9 May 5, 2014
When these clowns on this forum talk about these other artist they were about at the time.when anybody could get in the charts.when there wasnt any real talent.They were just at the right place at the right time,would they get in the charts now the answer would be no they wouldnt even make it on the x factor.also when the clowns on this forum sit and talk about people like Elvis.and how great they thought he was.remember Elvis had the biggest ego going.and the fact was he couldnt wrire any of his songs.he had to sing song by other artist.he couldnt play guitar that well.he could not dance
Elvis legacy has faded a bit.theres only one man that should be called the king of all music and thats Michael Jackson,the one and only true king

Michael Jackson was the biggest superstar in the world ever..he never once acted like he was.he was very down to earth.and very humble.just a nice guy
Michael was very sweet.and everything about Michael was very beautiful. He worked so hard.
No man on earth can compare to his inner and outer beauty.his talent,Music ,voice,dance,films
Concerts.how beauriful he played the piano.and what an Incredible song writer what a genius
Amazing entertainer/showman.film maker.
Producer,choreographer.and how he helped to bring peace to the world and helped and cared for people around the world.he gave so much to the world.never asked for anything in return.what an amazing guy.how great was his poems.he was an Incredible wonderful father.Michael Jackson was just the best in the world,he was always ahead of everybody else.and nobody even comes close.and no matter what Ill always be proud of him.
Michael stay with us forever.and I will always love you Michael and that is for all time
persephone

Sunnyvale, CA

#10 May 5, 2014
cookie monster wrote:
Why y'all hatin' on poor li'l Mikey. He aint done nothing to nobody.You hateful people will all go to hell.
They always hate on MJ and before long they'll be hating on you, too.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#11 May 5, 2014
Jina Wild_ wrote:
<quoted text>
And because Elvis was immense while Wacko was a crock of shyte.
And all it takes is Elvis being the biggest selling dead artist in the world for floons to start complaining about it on topix. Elvis was an immense talent like no one else before or after him. Even being dead for almost thirty-seven years, Elvis continues to prove his legendary standing year after year after year. He is the greatest single entertainment phenomenon the world has ever seen. It helps that Elvis was the best looking human being that ever walked the planet. Talent, looks, great emotional music, millions of adoring fans and a catalog of hits no other artist dead or alive can match. Amazing.
Rickey Bobby

North Kingstown, RI

#13 May 5, 2014
cookie monster wrote:
I'll see you when I get there.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#14 May 5, 2014
Michael I want you back wrote:
When these clowns on this forum talk about these other artist they were about at the time.when anybody could get in the charts.when there wasnt any real talent.They were just at the right place at the right time,would they get in the charts now the answer would be no they wouldnt even make it on the x factor.also when the clowns on this forum sit and talk about people like Elvis.and how great they thought he was.remember Elvis had the biggest ego going.and the fact was he couldnt wrire any of his songs.he had to sing song by other artist.he couldnt play guitar that well.he could not dance
Elvis legacy has faded a bit.theres only one man that should be called the king of all music and thats Michael Jackson,the one and only true king
Michael Jackson was the biggest superstar in the world ever..he never once acted like he was.he was very down to earth.and very humble.just a nice guy
Michael was very sweet.and everything about Michael was very beautiful. He worked so hard.
No man on earth can compare to his inner and outer beauty.his talent,Music ,voice,dance,films
Concerts.how beauriful he played the piano.and what an Incredible song writer what a genius
Amazing entertainer/showman.film maker.
Producer,choreographer.and how he helped to bring peace to the world and helped and cared for people around the world.he gave so much to the world.never asked for anything in return.what an amazing guy.how great was his poems.he was an Incredible wonderful father.Michael Jackson was just the best in the world,he was always ahead of everybody else.and nobody even comes close.and no matter what Ill always be proud of him.
Michael stay with us forever.and I will always love you Michael and that is for all time
Actually, Elvis's legacy has shown no signs of fading as I am still finding an incedible amount of previously unreleased studio outtake material and live performances by Elvis. He is on record playing guitar, bass and piano. Elvis also never lip synced in concert. Not even once. Elvis continues to be an unbeatable phenomenon like no other artist in entertainment history. Like it or not, Elvis is carefully documented on every session he ever sang and played on. He was the always the real uncredited producer. It is clearly obvious on thousands of audio tapes that Elvis was the only one calling the shots. Elvis played instruments with his band on all of his fifties stuff, stopped doing it for most of the sixties then returned to it at various sessions from the late sixties on. It has been even captured on film. The clown never played piano or any musical instrument. He needed Quincy Jones and other hired help to do it for him. Anyway, it thrills me to no end that Elvis is still number one. Too bad for Wacko. What is extra hilarious is that Johnny Cash is outselling Michael Jackson today as well. What do you know, two Sun recording artists are the biggest selling artists today. Wow. That is quite impressive because they are not pop acts. Hmmmmm...

The clown destroyed his legacy by having sex with male children. Wade Robson's child molestation trial is going to be very revealing. The final nail in the clown's dead coffin when it comes to Michael Jackson's faded and tarnished career. He was a pig.

“Brevity is the soule of wit”

Since: May 09

USA

#16 May 5, 2014
ChasUGC wrote:
The haters are just helping to make sure that the memory of Michael Jackson never dies. So, keep hating, day after day, and we will keep defacing Michael, day after day.
As long as there are haters, Michael's memory and legacy will never die.
So, thank you haters.
You're welcome. Bye.

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#17 May 5, 2014
cookie monster wrote:
Tragically, he "did" other people's children. That's the biggest legacy of shame he left behind. Hopefully, you will eventually understand that reality.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#18 May 5, 2014
ChasUGC wrote:
The haters are just helping to make sure that the memory of Michael Jackson never dies. There will always be fans who will defend Michael against the haters. So, keep hating, day after day, and we will keep defending Michael, day after day.
As long as there are haters, Michael's memory and legacy will never die.
So, thank you haters.
Oooh, I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but guess what? The "legacy" is already tainted, and therefore dead. Sorry, Chassy Wassy.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#19 May 5, 2014
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
Octo's ignorance and bias toward MJ and his family is sad.
Octopus

Clifton Park, NY

#20 May 5, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Had The Jacksons done right by Michael when he was a child or forced him to get help as an adult, he'd still be alive today making new music. Instead, they continue to bleed Michael dry and are allowing hacks to destroy his whatever musical legacy he has left. Of course, you would slobber all over Katherine and Joseph Jackson if given the chance. No bias. They are truly greedy and evil people. In many ways, they are worse than the clown ever was.
Rickey Bobby

North Kingstown, RI

#22 May 6, 2014
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
What is even sadder is you constantly trying to prop up an already dead legacy. Even sadder still is your open support of a dead pedophile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quincy Jones Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Quincy Jones: Whitney 'blew my mind' (Feb '12) Apr '16 Octobus 31
News Louis "Thunder Thumbs" Johnson Of The Brothers ... (May '15) May '15 Len is Disgusted 3
News Special Feature: 32 facts about Michael Jackson... (Nov '14) Dec '14 getoveryourself 45
News Michael Jackson's - Off the Wall' at 35: Classi... (Aug '14) Aug '14 BadMan84 3
News Quincy Jones: 'Working with Michael Jackson was... (Mar '13) Jun '13 Len is Disgusted 12
News Al B. Sure On The Rise Of Young Hollywood Talen... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dayo O 1
News Monty celebrates 50 (Apr '11) Jun '11 Cumbia 2
More from around the web