Poll: Should Australia become a republic?

Jun 14, 2013 Full story: AdelaideNow... 10

PRINCE Charles has sought out Mike Rann to share their passion for saving the environment, leading to an unlikely friendship between the next King of England and the avowed republican.

Full Story

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

Since: Jun 12

And the shadows they burn dark

#1 Jun 14, 2013
No Australia should not become a republic.
DazzaJ

Adelaide, Australia

#2 Jun 14, 2013
Australia definately should become a republic. Break away from the British and stand on its own!
We are Australian and should be proud of it.

“Tilt my hat at the sun”

And the shadows they burn dark

#3 Jun 14, 2013
DazzaJ wrote:
Australia definately should become a republic. Break away from the British and stand on its own!
We are Australian and should be proud of it.
I actually agree with you, but the reason I say no is because any change to our legal/political system that is made will not be in the best interests of the Australian people.
Politicians would structure it so it's all in their favour, not the people's.
What they do to the people already is bad enough without them being given an opportunity to freely rewrite the whole lot to suit themselves.

However if it was done in a way that politicians weren't able to interfere & would be in favour of the people as it should be, then I'd support the idea.
ohdear

Sydney, Australia

#4 Jun 14, 2013
No, because would anybody care to name ONE politician they would entrust in forming a republic FOR THE PEOPLE?

Most politicians see the average Aussie as a means to further their personal platform or ponder how to screw us for the next tax dollar into hairbrained schemes that invariabley fail.

“Tell it as it is.”

Australia

#5 Jun 14, 2013
Biggest problem with becoming a republic would be the constitution.
This would be drafted by the ruling elite to suit themselves and turn the rest of us into serfs.
sid

Brisbane, Australia

#6 Jun 15, 2013
Old Pom wrote:
Biggest problem with becoming a republic would be the constitution.
This would be drafted by the ruling elite to suit themselves and turn the rest of us into serfs.
Yes it makes me sick at heart to see what this country has become, these people who are in a position to do maximum good for the maximum number choose to do nothing but serve themselves and the ruling elite.
woof

Jakarta, Indonesia

#7 Jun 15, 2013
The constitution would be full of shit about abos,boat people,gay marriage, legalisation of pedophile relationships, sharia law, multiculturalism, banning guns, all the stuff the pedophile greens and leftards want.

Screw becoming a republic

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Australia

#9 Jun 15, 2013
Eventually yes. But now is not the best time.

Our Australian culture is young and vulnerable ... still finding its way. Even as we speak there are forces frantically trying to prevent that, preferring strongly to hijack our development in alien directions more to their liking.

Those intruding cultures have enjoyed centuries to develop themselves naturally, but do not respect Australia's right to do the same. They want it all to happen on their terms.

At present there is little to prevent them having their way ... only our links with the Monarchy and whatever that symbolizes and stands for.

If we throw that away at this early time in our history our aspiring destroyers will seize upon that release as a signal that our national values and ideology no longer have a demonstrable benchmark historically or otherwise, and are therefore open to seizure by the loudest usurper.

As an Anglo-European culture (still) we need to put those roots down a lot deeper before we can afford to risk severing that last link with our legitimate heritage. By doing so prematurely we would be playing right into the hands of other interests disdainfully impatient to replace our heritage with their own.

Our founding heritage has had its flaws no doubt. But the adage: "Better the Devil you know" still has validity.
LEGALISE STEROIDS

Carrum Downs, Australia

#10 Jun 16, 2013
Don't know, don't care. But they should definitely LEGALISE STEROIDS!
frank

Canberra, Australia

#11 Oct 30, 2013
I honestly don't see any benefit to becoming a republic? Are there even any? The last thing I want is to see a republic, all it'll do is give more power to the government and politicians. And currently they're already bad enough. Imagine how rubbish the newly drafted constitution would be? You can already see how flawed the US system is with their overpowered and overspending government and their constitution. Last thing I want is Australia to become more American, and it will happen too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prince Charles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prince Andrew denies sex abuse claims Jan 25 Not Gonna Happen 1
Prince Charles treats staff and friends to A 50... Dec '14 Rick 1
Prince William, Kate to break new ground with U... Dec '14 I -cant-breathe-s... 1
As Bill Cosby scandal unfolds, Britain is still... Nov '14 i12bme 8
Globe: Camilla Parker-Bowles Moving to NYC Afte... (Sep '11) Nov '14 Observer Rules 5
Prince Charles urges religious tolerance Nov '14 screw her 10
Charles orders grey squirrel cull Oct '14 SirPrize 2
More from around the web