Pope Opposes Guitar Riffs At Church

There are 9 comments on the New York Sun story from Jun 27, 2006, titled Pope Opposes Guitar Riffs At Church. In it, New York Sun reports that:

Pope Benedict XVI has called for an end to electric guitars and modern music being played in church and demanded a return to traditional choirs and Gregorian chants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Sun.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Anthony

Attard, Malta

#144 Jun 1, 2011
I don't agree that guitars will be not used anymore during mass. Our group was founded about 30 years ago and we also praise God as others do. We have a very well oranganized music ministry group and I don't know why such decisions are taken!
seriously

Constableville, NY

#145 Jun 1, 2011
Okay for you people who think dancing and guitars and such arent for church and worship service your crazy. David who was a man after God's own heart used mulitple insturments to worship and sing God's praises and he danced for God and God was pleased with it. Everyone should be allowed to worship God in there own way and to say we can't is wrong.
Pax et Bonum

Atwater, OH

#147 May 22, 2012
seriously wrote:
Okay for you people who think dancing and guitars and such arent for church and worship service your crazy. David who was a man after God's own heart used mulitple insturments to worship and sing God's praises and he danced for God and God was pleased with it. Everyone should be allowed to worship God in there own way and to say we can't is wrong.
The Church is like a big umbrella. She should have room under it for all styles of worship as there is no right or wrong way as long as the worship of God is the focus. Organs played badly or too loudly can be just as distracting as guitars.
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#148 May 22, 2012
..well..at the Church...I's like/love...soooooothing music,..chimes,bells,lutes ,flutes....high-spirited music...thankyou's...now,let us ...sing....yodeling....
Clergy

United States

#149 May 22, 2012
I am an active Good Standing member of clergy, and a musician. It's all a matter of opinion....Look up Yngwie Malmsteen on You Tube....Ir perhaps the Trans Siberian Orchestra...Awesome classical musicians...with ELECTRIC GUITARS !....God NEVER said Thou Shall Not JAM !
In ancient times...A Lute or Dulcimer may have been used...or a Harp...At some point a Piano and an Organ became a fairly accepted norm...Would anyone complain about a song of worship played on an electric Keyboard? Or an Electric Cello...I think we need to embrace the times, and accept the world we live in. It is an age of technology....I agree it may not suit everyone's taste...And that is to be expected....But if we fail to accept modern things....we then segregate ourselves from modern culture....and the new generations will not embrace the church as we would like them to. We should grow with the times. I am not saying we should install disco balls and laser lights in the confessionals....Or that Vestments should include spandex and sequins....BUT...A little joyful noise is certainly nothing to get upset about....if you don't want to listen...Thats your choice....But each should be free to make their own choice. I think it's time that the papal thought process was upgraded to Stained Glass Windows 7 !!!

clergy@religious.com is my email. feel free to comment
Hypocrisy

United States

#150 May 23, 2012
I'll bet if Justin Bieber was playing guitar there, there's be no problem at all. No wonder the catholic church and it's attendance is plummeting. Glad I quit drinking their Kool-Aid when I was a kid.
Pax et Bonum

Atwater, OH

#151 May 23, 2012
Clergy wrote:
I am an active Good Standing member of clergy, and a musician. It's all a matter of opinion....Look up Yngwie Malmsteen on You Tube....Ir perhaps the Trans Siberian Orchestra...Awesome classical musicians...with ELECTRIC GUITARS !....God NEVER said Thou Shall Not JAM !
In ancient times...A Lute or Dulcimer may have been used...or a Harp...At some point a Piano and an Organ became a fairly accepted norm...Would anyone complain about a song of worship played on an electric Keyboard? Or an Electric Cello...I think we need to embrace the times, and accept the world we live in. It is an age of technology....I agree it may not suit everyone's taste...And that is to be expected....But if we fail to accept modern things....we then segregate ourselves from modern culture....and the new generations will not embrace the church as we would like them to. We should grow with the times. I am not saying we should install disco balls and laser lights in the confessionals....Or that Vestments should include spandex and sequins....BUT...A little joyful noise is certainly nothing to get upset about....if you don't want to listen...Thats your choice....But each should be free to make their own choice. I think it's time that the papal thought process was upgraded to Stained Glass Windows 7 !!!
clergy@religious.com is my email. feel free to comment
Music whatever the form used at Mass should first of all aide the worship of God. I am open to all forms traditional or modern. As long as the instruments help the singing of the people and not hinder it use whatever is around. The documents of the Church that guide the Liturgy and the use of song in it are too often ignored or just not known about by too many who are preparing music for liturgy.
DeMaggliandilo

New York, NY

#152 May 24, 2012
Why don't you check out the 150th or 151st Psalm? YOu will then realize nothing wrong with guitar in church. Most important this is to worship lovingly and correctly.
captain howdy

Rome, NY

#154 May 25, 2012
WHO DOES THE POPE THINKS HE IS?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 4 hr Brian_G 219,931
News Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) Jul '14 fener 20
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jul '13 Truthsayer777 14,379
News Pope Urges Irish Bishops to Confront Abuse (Feb '10) May '13 Highknee Hertz 6
News Poll: Does the pope's statement surprise you? (Nov '10) Mar '13 Sol 78
News What made John Paul II truly 'Great (Apr '12) Feb '13 Thesis 2
News Pope Names 4 New Saints (Jun '07) Jan '13 ELIAS IBARRA 830
More from around the web