Pope Opposes Guitar Riffs At Church

Full story: New York Sun 149
Pope Benedict XVI has called for an end to electric guitars and modern music being played in church and demanded a return to traditional choirs and Gregorian chants. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Robert L Gregonis JR

United States

#1 Jun 27, 2006
I agree with Pope Benedict XVI. I am a new member of the Roman Catholic Church. I was confirmed in April 2006 after going throught the RCIA process. I am only 20 years old and am thinking about a life as a priest. I was shocked when I entered the Church for the first and heard guitars and other modern music being played. I go to the mass, where choirs sing and the organ is being played, because that is what I like and believe in for the church. I find that organs and choirs are more respectful to the Church, and to the people of God. I am obedient to Pope Benedict the Bishops and all the clergy, and a return to more conservative ways of the church is what I support.
Thomas

United States

#2 Jun 27, 2006
Robert L Gregonis JR wrote:
I agree with Pope Benedict XVI. I am a new member of the Roman Catholic Church. I was confirmed in April 2006 after going throught the RCIA process. I am only 20 years old and am thinking about a life as a priest. I was shocked when I entered the Church for the first and heard guitars and other modern music being played. I go to the mass, where choirs sing and the organ is being played, because that is what I like and believe in for the church. I find that organs and choirs are more respectful to the Church, and to the people of God. I am obedient to Pope Benedict the Bishops and all the clergy, and a return to more conservative ways of the church is what I support.
Welcome home!
Anthony Eita

Fiji

#3 Jul 2, 2006
I agree totally with Pope Benedict's directive on use of certain equiment which are not suited for worship. The guitars are too noisy and they don't provide a musical environment where one can ascend in glory and holy environment to the Lord. In fact it's a noisy sound that soots more the environment of dancing and just jump up and down experience. I think it would be also right from its origin that guitars were born in dancing outside celebrative environment. The Church is not a place for dance but then I find it a bit hard as to how to acculcurate our liturgy becuause in some African COuntries where active dancing is a form of worship, I guess in such places, they should be lokked at more carefully. Poor King david where he danced with all his might and even naked too. How do you judge him? Maybe we should give also special treatment to certain culture whose music is link together with their form of music. I wonder hod God sees it all?
Crance

East Bernstadt, KY

#4 Jul 2, 2006
Anthony Eita wrote:
I agree totally with Pope Benedict's directive on use of certain equiment which are not suited for worship. The guitars are too noisy and they don't provide a musical environment where one can ascend in glory and holy environment to the Lord. In fact it's a noisy sound that soots more the environment of dancing and just jump up and down experience. I think it would be also right from its origin that guitars were born in dancing outside celebrative environment. The Church is not a place for dance but then I find it a bit hard as to how to acculcurate our liturgy becuause in some African COuntries where active dancing is a form of worship, I guess in such places, they should be lokked at more carefully. Poor King david where he danced with all his might and even naked too. How do you judge him? Maybe we should give also special treatment to certain culture whose music is link together with their form of music. I wonder hod God sees it all?
Excellent Post!

Peace ... John
Welcome to STOP n DEPORT

Antioch, CA

#5 Jul 2, 2006
Wow, You sound brainwashed. You wonder why the RC has so many problems. They are always changing their minds. not to mention the problems they have with pedophilia. Who are you or even the POpe for that matter to decide whether or not God likes a Guitar riff. Electric Organs didnt even exist in the times of christ. Perhaps a pipe organ is offensive. perhaps string instruments are offensive. Maybe the only instrument God loves is prayer or human voices.

Get off your high horse and stop trying to think what you think God likes. It is a sin to take images of God. There shall be No high priest. Your Pope is not perfect and free of sin. I think the R/C is the biggest cult of all. And the Roman Catholics are probably guilty of the deaths of more Jews and Pagans and even other christians then Hitler and Stalin combined. Its that kind of thinking that is dangerous. One thing I do know, God said to marry and be fruitful and multiply. The orriginal Preist did have wives. If you feel you want to marry God to show your loyalty, You don't have to worry about that. In the end times, we shall all become brides of Christ.
Robert L Gregonis JR wrote:
Welcome to STOP n DEPORT

Antioch, CA

#6 Jul 2, 2006
Wow, once again Someone has an Opinion for God.

I am so glad my mother didnt raise me as a Catholic.
Anthony Eita wrote:
Josie

Perth, UK

#7 Jul 3, 2006
To belong to the Roman Catholic Apostolic Church founded by Jesus himself is the most wonderful thing. I encourage people to read the new catechism of the Catholic church, before commenting in a derogatery way. It is where true wisdom can be found.
ChrisO

Anchorage, AK

#8 Sep 2, 2006
Josie wrote:
To belong to the Roman Catholic Apostolic Church founded by Jesus himself is the most wonderful thing. I encourage people to read the new catechism of the Catholic church, before commenting in a derogatery way. It is where true wisdom can be found.
Well said, and to add a bit more of my thought process, the article doesn't say he (the Pope) invoked his authority and the old "infallibility" thing... which I seriously doubt he would waste on an issue such as this. He merely stated his opinion... granted, he is the Pope whom I love and respect, but I'll still keep praying that I get to play guitar for him at Mass some day! As far as organs being preferable to guitars historically or spiritually, I'd have to agree with the comments about King David, the lyre is more closely related to a guitar than to the organ, and in my opinion, dancing for joy in the sight of the Lord is a good thing... and you can call me a "cradlecatholic" Thanks, Chris
rocky mountain

Denver, CO

#9 Sep 2, 2006
ChrisO wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said, and to add a bit more of my thought process, the article doesn't say he (the Pope) invoked his authority and the old "infallibility" thing... which I seriously doubt he would waste on an issue such as this. He merely stated his opinion... granted, he is the Pope whom I love and respect, but I'll still keep praying that I get to play guitar for him at Mass some day! As far as organs being preferable to guitars historically or spiritually, I'd have to agree with the comments about King David, the lyre is more closely related to a guitar than to the organ, and in my opinion, dancing for joy in the sight of the Lord is a good thing... and you can call me a "cradlecatholic" Thanks, Chris
What he said!
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#10 Sep 2, 2006
Anthony Eita wrote:
Kind David didn't dance naked in front of the Eucharist. MM
Robert Finch

Warrenton, MO

#11 Sep 2, 2006
Sometimes it is good to take one step back, so that we can move two steps forward. By his very name, this Pope Benedict is a person that sees we must return to a more spiritual Roman Catholic Church. Jer 6:16. He finds his spirituality in the old paths. He is trying to bring us to the Peace of Christ, and trying to restrict the chaos of the world from entering into the worship space of the Church. He is trying to find for us a time and a place to worship at Mass, and to restore the sacredness and holiness of the atmosphere for us all. It is time to stop thinking Mass is a music concert, a circus event, an hour of entertainment. It is time to follow this Pope for those who have Ears to hear sacred music,and Eyes to see the Face of Christ, as in Veronica's Veil. I value his opinions, based on his experience. It is time for the individual to emerge out of their cicumstances, to stop being a drone of society and culture, which kills spirituality, as the Pope indirectly said, with his declaration of "...stop overworking."
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#12 Sep 2, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
Sometimes it is good to take one step back, so that we can move two steps forward. By his very name, this Pope Benedict is a person that sees we must return to a more spiritual Roman Catholic Church. Jer 6:16. He finds his spirituality in the old paths. He is trying to bring us to the Peace of Christ, and trying to restrict the chaos of the world from entering into the worship space of the Church. He is trying to find for us a time and a place to worship at Mass, and to restore the sacredness and holiness of the atmosphere for us all. It is time to stop thinking Mass is a music concert, a circus event, an hour of entertainment. It is time to follow this Pope for those who have Ears to hear sacred music,and Eyes to see the Face of Christ, as in Veronica's Veil. I value his opinions, based on his experience. It is time for the individual to emerge out of their cicumstances, to stop being a drone of society and culture, which kills spirituality, as the Pope indirectly said, with his declaration of "...stop overworking."
You said it... beautifully! MM
rocky mountain

Denver, CO

#13 Sep 2, 2006
Robert Finch wrote:
The Church is not just the Pope. Many, many cultures use their ethnicity to worship more fulley in a meaningful way for them.
Crance

London, KY

#14 Sep 2, 2006
rocky mountain wrote:
43<quoted text>
The Church is not just the Pope. Many, many cultures use their ethnicity to worship more fulley in a meaningful way for them.
It's also not just North America and Europe.
This could be a blow to our African brothers and others.

I've been playing slow, reverent songs/hymns on the guitar for over 10 years at Mass. I guess my ministry will need to cease!

Peace
rocky mountain

Denver, CO

#15 Sep 2, 2006
In our zeal to get back a semblance of moral authority-the leadership of the church turns toward increased autocracy.
It's wrong headed but...
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#16 Sep 3, 2006
A lot of us have been quietly suffering as the beautful hymns and quiet, reverent music has been taken away from us. We never get to hear organ music anymore. We can't say our before and after communion prayers without the trendy music and lyrics bombarding our minds to believe that communion is something other than it is. This latest news from the Pope is a sign of hope that maybe, just maybe, we can start attending Masses that once again are beautiful, reverent, and uplifting. The sense of the "sacred" has been missing for a long time. The music Brueghels have reigned long enough. MM
Robert Finch

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#17 Sep 3, 2006
Minnesota Mary wrote:
A lot of us have been quietly suffering as the beautful hymns and quiet, reverent music has been taken away from us. We never get to hear organ music anymore. We can't say our before and after communion prayers without the trendy music and lyrics bombarding our minds to believe that communion is something other than it is. This latest news from the Pope is a sign of hope that maybe, just maybe, we can start attending Masses that once again are beautiful, reverent, and uplifting. The sense of the "sacred" has been missing for a long time. The music Brueghels have reigned long enough. MM
Thank you for your kindly observation. I would like to expand a little on the issue....
Apples and Oranges! The problem with trying to communicate with writing is the difficulty in overcoming cultural bias with love.
Some people equate going to Mass like going to a Protestant worship service. Thus they feel free to bring with them their cultural bias, such as music preferences. Creatures of habit, especially cradle Catholics fail to recognize Mass has a uniqueness that transcends Creation. And of course Protestants not knowing Mass, think of it as another Sunday worship service, or some perverse thing, as their teachings dictate.
Mass includes worship, but also includes much more, such as the unification of heaven and earth. Thus cultural prejudices have no place within the Mass. They tend to seperate and cause divisions. It is then the weight of tradition that carries us forward due to familiarity. Music preferences are more cultural. Since Vatican II it would seem too much of culture is emphasized, rather than the sacredness and holiness(the seperation from the world). I think Pope Benedict is aware of this.
Some people resist change. And if it is time to get the vox populus out of the Roman Catholic Church, then let us enjoy silence in the presence of God. God has all things good awaiting us. We need to leave behind our differences and become One with God. There is neither Jew nor Greek, female nor male....
Each of us brings our own way to worship God. I find that going to Mass for me, should be a calling, and not a devotion through which I suffer as a reparation and penance.
rocky mountain

Denver, CO

#18 Sep 3, 2006
Obviously I do not agree with your theological bent but appreciate your openess to opine. Our tradition does not carry us forward our faith does. Music is part of the liturgy to enhance prayer. Your definition of the sacred and the holy may not be that of people in Chad, China or Chicago. Insisting on one type of music globally doesn't erase differences-tolerance does.
Minnesota Mary

Mankato, MN

#19 Sep 3, 2006
rocky mountain wrote:
Obviously I do not agree with your theological bent but appreciate your openess to opine. Our tradition does not carry us forward our faith does. Music is part of the liturgy to enhance prayer. Your definition of the sacred and the holy may not be that of people in Chad, China or Chicago. Insisting on one type of music globally doesn't erase differences-tolerance does.
I would be glad to let Catholics in other parts of the world like Africa, China, etc. worship at Mass with their chosen music. I just want music in my own area to reflect a sense of the sacred and not the trendy. In order to go to a Mass that has beautiful music, some Latin, and a real sermon that doesn't beat around the bush, I have to drive over 100 miles one way. The clergy and liturgists are so busy trying to make everyone feel welcome with Spanish Masses and Polka Masses etc. but they don't seem to care about the old timers who are asking for at least one quiet, traditional Mass somewhere in town on Sunday.
Robert Finch

Ville Platte, LA

#20 Sep 4, 2006
Minnesota Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
I would be glad to let Catholics in other parts of the world like Africa, China, etc. worship at Mass with their chosen music. I just want music in my own area to reflect a sense of the sacred and not the trendy. In order to go to a Mass that has beautiful music, some Latin, and a real sermon that doesn't beat around the bush, I have to drive over 100 miles one way. The clergy and liturgists are so busy trying to make everyone feel welcome with Spanish Masses and Polka Masses etc. but they don't seem to care about the old timers who are asking for at least one quiet, traditional Mass somewhere in town on Sunday.
We may be on a journey of discovery here from this Age, to what being Catholic is all about....
The problem we all share is that we live in an Age of Modernism, which has infected the Church in about 1900. The problem was defined by Pope Pius X, and the cure was injected by Pope John XXIII which is Vatican II. The patient, Roman Catholicism is in delerium, and one of those symptoms that our present Pope Benedict is doing for us bring back holy music.
Gregorian Chant is not a cultural music, it carried over as sacred music since the time of David and the Psalm. The Europeans gave it a name. One might compare it to oral tradition that became written tradition, but in this case rather than the written word of God, it is singing words of God.
In general the Catholic Church is so fragmented today, we may be in a New Age of Monasticsm, as the chaos of the world seems to permeate the atmosphere of our worship spaces in the Roman Catholic Church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) Nov 22 Estelle 219,587
Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) Jul '14 fener 20
Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jul '13 Truthsayer777 14,381
Pope Urges Irish Bishops to Confront Abuse (Feb '10) May '13 Highknee Hertz 6
Poll: Does the pope's statement surprise you? (Nov '10) Mar '13 Sol 78
What made John Paul II truly 'Great (Apr '12) Feb '13 Thesis 2
Pope Names 4 New Saints (Jun '07) Jan '13 ELIAS IBARRA 830

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE