Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#558632 Sep 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that Agnostics and Atheists (without converting to your Christian CENTER) will be allowed in heaven with YOU Robert?
Now try to stay on track and focus that I'm not asking what you believe that Jesus believes or God believes. I'm asking you what YOU believe???
June

I have to answer with a qualified yes. At any one time, a person's beliefs change, mainly through knowledge and experience gained through time. Thus, it is not for me to disbelieve that an agnostic or atheist(or anyone) may or may not be impelled by their own belief systems toward heaven or hell.

However, in the hereafter( and even now) some are rewarded with glimpses of what heaven and hell would be to them, and most imagine what it would be like(be they agnostics or atheists, or anyone).

Is that to confusing?

In short, it is better to believe, than disbelieve....

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#558633 Sep 2, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot show me any lies that I have told....
99 % of what I post is on this forum scripture ......
I question your abilities to discern truth from fiction...
All you have done since coming on this forum
is feverishly working to be the devils advocate.
In a sense you are worse here than June Slander Mark
because you attack those that are here to minister the truth
under the guise of being a Christian believer.
You could have come on here as one that supported the truth..
but you came here as.... a know it all with/as competition..as a destructive force...
as a name caller a railer , working hard to sow discord
among those that have labored faithfully here for years
to establish truth.
THE LORD REBUKE YOU...
Not only can I, but I did....here tis again...

You said:
Thank you for you offer..... but I don't smoke....
I am blessed more and more.....each time you attempt to reproach ..and upbraid me..
Jesus said..
Luk_6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

Ah said and herein repeat:
Any shame and disgrace you have experienced comes from your own doing...just as you are now doing....

I do not hate you...I have never separated you from my company, however, I can see where you wish I would, I have never cast out your name as evil...

To use Scripture to support your lies is an abomination to God...

Location hidden

#558634 Sep 2, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I reject "self appointed" bible only 21st century Protestant Preachers like you who " distort , manipulate and twist the TRUTH of the TRUE Word of God, the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ and the TRUE Apostolic doctrine and teaching of Jesus Christ's One ( and only one True) Universal Catholic Church "the Bride of Christ".........You my friend, are so "locked into" your hatred and hostility toward Jesus Christ HIMSELF -and HIS Catholic Church----------with your bible verse (out of context) self opinionated interpretation(or better yet MIS-INTERPRETATION that there is "nothing" that you have just posted has ANY Validity or ANY Truth to it!.........It I was bible only anti catholic hate mongoring ministers like you that led to the TRUTH of TRUE Salvation in Jesus Christ in and through HIS historically and biblically PROVEN One True Catholic Church-------AWAY from the vindictive , vengeful , judgmental and condemning hate of the divided and fractured bible only Protestant community of splintered believers and their "man-made"denominati ons.....Until you " come to the TRUTH"of the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ--this half -truth half heresy that you continue to preach only shows us that Satan is working "overtime" in your life and in your ministry....
Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness. Consequently, sola scriptura demands that only those doctrines are to be admitted or confessed that are found directly within or indirectly by using valid logical deduction or valid deductive reasoning from scripture.

However, sola scriptura is not a denial of other authorities governing Christian life and devotion. Rather, it simply demands that all other authorities are subordinate to, and are to be corrected by, the written word of God. Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the Reformers and is a formal principle of Protestantism today

Note...This does not apply to Catholics.....they put "traditions" that has no source in Scripture, equal to the Bible...they have their Magnasterium (positively misspelled) which they also put equal to Scripture....
Michael

Kitchener, Canada

#558635 Sep 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if he keeps repeating the same story back to his self ... hojo will be able to convince his self that what he preaches at others actually IS the one and only universal truth.
Still, there is that bit about the conscience that all to often won't give rest to the "wicked."
And I have faith that hojo's conscience is aware that hojo entertains a wicked belief that his Protestant relatives deserve eternal hell for not converting to Catholicism.
Catholics/protestants keep telling each other that they are following the wrong path, their belief of the doctrines are wrong, and in the next sentence each claims only God judges who is right and who isn't.

....no wonder they are all screwed up.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#558636 Sep 2, 2014
Sola scriptura ("Bible alone")

The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity.

It is unhistorical. No one denies the fact that Christ and the Apostles founded the Church by preaching and exacting faith in their doctrines. No book told as yet of the Divinity of Christ, the redeeming value of His Passion, or of His coming to judge the world; these and all similar revelations had to be believed on the word of the Apostles, who were, as their powers showed, messengers from God. And those who received their word did so solely on authority. As immediate, implicit submission of the mind was in the lifetime of the Apostles the only necessary token of faith, there was no room whatever for what is now called private judgment. This is quite clear from the words of Scripture: "Therefore, we also give thanks to God without ceasing: because, that when you had received of us the word of the hearing of God, you received it not as the word of men, but (as it is indeed) the word of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). The word of hearing is received through a human teacher and is believed on the authority of God, who is its first author (cf. Romans 10:17). But, if in the time of the Apostles, faith consisted in submitting to authorized teaching, it does so now; for the essence of things never changes and the foundation of the Church and of our salvation is immovable.

Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instability of Protestant so-called faith: "They are as children tossed to and fro and carried along by every gale of doctrine. If they had faith they would not change. They look upon the simple faith of Catholics as if unworthy the dignity of human nature, as slavish and foolish". Yet upon that simple, unquestioning faith the Church was built up and is held together to this day.

Where absolute reliance on God's word, proclaimed by his accredited ambassadors, is wanting, i.e. where there is not the virtue of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm

Location hidden

#558637 Sep 2, 2014
What garbage!!!!! Based not on Scripture...

Plus X, Ad Diem Illum, 1904: "It was granted to the august Virgin to be together with her Only-begotten Son the most powerful Mediatrix and Conciliatrix of the whole world.

So Christ is the source ... Mary, however, as St. Bernard justly remarks, is the channel, or she is the neck by which the Body is united to the Head... through which ALL spiritual gifts are communicated to his Body."

Scripture says: But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

It don't say nuttin' bout a neck!!!!

Location hidden

#558638 Sep 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity.
It is unhistorical. No one denies the fact that Christ and the Apostles founded the Church by preaching and exacting faith in their doctrines. No book told as yet of the Divinity of Christ, the redeeming value of His Passion, or of His coming to judge the world; these and all similar revelations had to be believed on the word of the Apostles, who were, as their powers showed, messengers from God. And those who received their word did so solely on authority. As immediate, implicit submission of the mind was in the lifetime of the Apostles the only necessary token of faith, there was no room whatever for what is now called private judgment. This is quite clear from the words of Scripture: "Therefore, we also give thanks to God without ceasing: because, that when you had received of us the word of the hearing of God, you received it not as the word of men, but (as it is indeed) the word of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). The word of hearing is received through a human teacher and is believed on the authority of God, who is its first author (cf. Romans 10:17). But, if in the time of the Apostles, faith consisted in submitting to authorized teaching, it does so now; for the essence of things never changes and the foundation of the Church and of our salvation is immovable.
Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instability of Protestant so-called faith: "They are as children tossed to and fro and carried along by every gale of doctrine. If they had faith they would not change. They look upon the simple faith of Catholics as if unworthy the dignity of human nature, as slavish and foolish". Yet upon that simple, unquestioning faith the Church was built up and is held together to this day.
Where absolute reliance on God's word, proclaimed by his accredited ambassadors, is wanting, i.e. where there is not the virtue of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority.
Scripture says:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Logic: There are no degrees of "perfect"....nor in "thoroughly furnished"....perfect is perfect....thoroughly furnished is thoroughly furnished...there is nothing more needed...

When you find Scripture that contradicts this...let me know...you will have my undivided attention...

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#558639 Sep 2, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
But Abraham IS their father. He was the father of Ismael and so, IS the father of all of Ismael's descendants.
-
But that has nothing to do with the fact that Islam is ABSOLUTELY NOT an Abrahamic religion - and this point is lost on pretty much everyone because of the propaganda spread by Muslims. They "call" it an Abrahamic religion to gain legitimacy.
-
However, to be considered an Abrahamic Religion, it must follow the precepts of the religion practiced by Abraham. Does that make sense?
-
IOW the BLACK SHEEP of the family does not get to go out and do what he darn well pleases and attribute it to his father, as if his father approves of his actions. The son is still related genetically - but no where near the father with his belief system. Descendants of Ismael went out and ignored everything about the religion of Abraham. And then when Mohammad came on the scene, about 600 years after Christ died, he created a whole new religion borrowing heavily from the local pagans. It's not an Abrahamic religion if it was created by Mohammad.
-
Throughout the Qur'an there are verses telling Muslims "do not take Jews or Christians as friends." and that Jews and "Christians" are the most violent/hostile of people. Well, when the Qur'an was written ... there WERE NO Protestants ... so Mohammad wasn't talking about Protestants, then, was he? The "Christians" he was calling VIOLENT were Catholics.
-
What Mohammad did to the Abrahamic religion, is pretty much what the Catholic Church has done to Christianity.
-
There are many parallels, if you think about it. Paganism, violence and terror, torture and murder ... the list goes on.
Amen! Though they are Abrahams children too they are not THE CHILDREN OF PROMISE as the children of Isaac 's are. God said that He would bless them as well but the covenant was with the children of Isaac,not the children of Ishmael. Wonder why they tend to ignore that?

Location hidden

#558640 Sep 2, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instabil of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority.
edited for space

There are more Catholics who disagree with Catholics on this one topic than there are SBC members who disagree with other SBC members....

There is growing support within the Catholic Church now for a fifth and final Marian dogma to be proclaimed, that Mary is Co-Redemptrix, Mediatrix of All Graces and Advocate. The movement Vox Populi Mariae Mediatrici is at the forefront of the growing enthusiasm for this fifth dogma. Since 1993 this movement has collected more than five million signatures in 157 countries in support of the proclamation of this dogma.

The other of the 1.2 billion Catholics disagree....this has been going on since 1993!!!!!
Anthony MN

United States

#558641 Sep 2, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture says:
2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Logic: There are no degrees of "perfect"....nor in "thoroughly furnished"....perfect is perfect....thoroughly furnished is thoroughly furnished...there is nothing more needed...
When you find Scripture that contradicts this...let me know...you will have my undivided attention...
"It is quite evident that this passage furnishes no argument whatever that the sacred Scripture, without Tradition, is the sole rule of faith; for, although sacred Scripture is profitable for these four ends, still it is not said to be sufficient. The Apostle [Paul] requires the aid of Tradition (2 Thess. 2:15). Moreover, the Apostle here refers to the scriptures which Timothy was taught in his infancy.

"Now, a good part of the New Testament was not written in his boyhood: Some of the Catholic epistles were not written even when Paul wrote this, and none of the books of the New Testament were then placed on the canon of the Scripture books. He refers, then, to the scriptures of the Old Testament, and, if the argument from this passage proved anything, it would prove too much, viz., that the scriptures of the New Testament were not necessary for a rule of faith."

Furthermore, Protestants typically read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 out of context. When read in the context of the surrounding passages, one discovers that Paul’s reference to Scripture is only part of his exhortation that Timothy take as his guide Tradition and Scripture. The two verses immediately before it state: "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" (2 Tim. 3:14–15).

Paul tells Timothy to continue in what he has learned for two reasons: first, because he knows from whom he has learned it—Paul himself—and second, because he has been educated in the scriptures. The first of these is a direct appeal to apostolic tradition, the oral teaching which the apostle Paul had given Timothy. So Protestants must take 2 Timothy 3:16-17 out of context to arrive at the theory of sola scriptura. But when the passage is read in context, it becomes clear that it is teaching the importance of apostolic tradition!

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/scripture-and-...

“Is that all you've got?”

Location hidden

#558642 Sep 2, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, in your mentality, many of us have to go to hell in order to make heaven seem real FOR you.
You are insane.
hojo

Dagsboro, DE

#558643 Sep 2, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, "by scripture alone") is the doctrine that the Bible contains all knowledge necessary for salvation and holiness. Consequently, sola scriptura demands that only those doctrines are to be admitted or confessed that are found directly within or indirectly by using valid logical deduction or valid deductive reasoning from scripture.
However, sola s

criptura is not a denial of other authorities governing Christian life and devotion. Rather, it simply demands that all other authorities are subordinate to, and are to be corrected by, the written word of God. Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the Reformers and is a formal principle of Protestantism today
Note...This does not apply to Catholics.....they put "traditions" that has no source in Scripture, equal to the Bible...they have their Magnasterium (positively misspelled) which they also put equal to Scripture....
Sola Scriptura has "absolutely no basis" of ANY biblical or historical truth to back up ANYTHING that it believes.......It is " nothing" but a "man made" belief and an extension of the Protestant Reformation and was created,, concocted , drummed up and invented in the 18 th century -an offshoot of the cultish doctrines of Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Science which ALL came into being in the late 1700 's...Bible Only is an anti Catholic (rebellious) excuse to deny the biblical and historical TRUTHS of the TRUE Interpreation of Sacred a Scripture by the Early Church Fathers who in 382,393, and 397AD compiled the Canon of Scripture, wrote the bible and correctly interpreted it..........All ANYONE has to do is to look at the contradicting, inconsistent and chaotic (bible interpreting division ) that has taken place since the 18th century from over 42,200 split Protestant denominations that are divided, splintered and fractured from self-proclaimed, self-interpreting, self-appointed " man-made" (hack preachers and ministers) and their half-truth half - heresy bible only denominations.....The TRUTH of the TRUE interpretation of the bible and tha TRUTH of TRUE Church History, has, is and will ALWAYS be grounded, manifested and solidified in Jesus Chris HIMSELF and in His historically and biblically Proven One True Aposolic Catholic Church----and NONE other !!!!
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#558644 Sep 2, 2014
who="Tony17"]<quo ted text>
Amen! Though they are Abrahams children too they are not THE CHILDREN OF PROMISE as the children of Isaac 's are. God said that He would bless them as well but the covenant was with the children of Isaac,not the children of Ishmael. Wonder why they tend to ignore that?

----------
They teach that the Jews re-wrote the history; teach that Ishmael was the sacrifice...not Isaac.
marge

West Des Moines, IA

#558645 Sep 2, 2014
Anthony, you do know our problem with your traditions is that they mostly contradict Scripture.?

That's a huge deal.
hojo

Dagsboro, DE

#558646 Sep 2, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
What garbage!!!!! Based not on Scripture...
I!!!!
Garbage is right!!....NOTHING regarding bible only "sola Scriptura" is based on ANY Scripture.nor is it based upon ANYTHING ever taught or believed in Church History.......... It is a "man-made" 18th century ( partial truth and part heresy, belief just like Mormonism or Jehovah's Witness.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#558647 Sep 2, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Tony17"]<quo ted text>
----------
They teach that the Jews re-wrote the history; teach that Ishmael was the sacrifice...not Isaac.
Genesis 16:11-12

Scripture states that Ishmael's offspring would be wild people. Kinda explains a lot.
truth

Perth, Australia

#558648 Sep 2, 2014
I will uphold you with my right hand!
Isaiah 41;10
its so comfortable on cross like someone holding you..its help resist crown pain
for moment you fill entirely cross..hands lags body..then something happen so comfortable there..where on cross..
pray rosary
who pray rosary
its going guard your sense
they will tell you not coming in mind
see what rosary say
I will guard your sense..your conciseness and subconsciousness!

I will uphold you with my right hand! Issiah 41;10
Its happen before!
I am not dream any more!
I am fine!
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#558649 Sep 2, 2014
who="June VanDerMark"]<quoted text>
According to all Christian dogma ... Jesus wouldn't love his mother if she stayed faithful to Judaism. He only loved her because she left Judaism to become a Christian.
Why don't you take a breather from your Protestant-preaching and address THAT issue?
Never mind ... I recognize that you are so tangled up in your religious web of lies ... you can't BE honest with your self.

----------
You may as well give it up. No one is impressed with your hate message.

As for Jesus loving His Jewish mother, He loves the whole world; Jews, Hindu's, and sinners of all sorts. Why would He NOT love His mother?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." He didn't die for one race or gender, or nationality. "Whosoever will may come."
truth

Perth, Australia

#558650 Sep 2, 2014
covenant
after altar in white dress so pure and priestly full of joy
zavit=convent pray without shoes
pray with heart
reject what you think what is most value in eyes of real god post=fast
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#558651 Sep 2, 2014
who="Oxbow"]<quot ed text>
You got one thing correct...there is more...there are pages and pages if Scripture..
The ways of Zion do mourn, because none come to the solemn feasts: all her gates are desolate: her priests sigh, her virgins are afflicted, and she is in bitterness. How doth the city sit solitary, that was full of people! how is she become as a widow! she that was great among the nations, and princess among the provinces, how is she become tributary!And from the daughter of Zion all her beauty is departed: her princes are become like harts that find no pasture, and they are gone without strength before the pursuer. Her filthiness is in her skirts; she remembereth not her last end; therefore she came down wonderfully: she had no comforter. O LORD, behold my affliction: for the enemy hath magnified himself. it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, wherewith the LORD hath afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger.

----------
This doesn't even touch the reason for my post. Some had said that God is not Triune. He is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit...and there is no sin in Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) 17 hr untilthelighttak ... 209
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 17 hr untilthelighttak ... 7
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 17 hr untilthelighttak ... 84,125
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... Sat KristoFMYsagun 11
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Married in 9,204
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... May 1 the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Apr 30 untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web