Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665307 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#556202 Aug 22, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds correct. Not sure why you so vehemently disagreed with Liam.
It seemed to me that I may have misread or miss understood his post a bit. I thought he was trying to say that most orthodox churches were catholic orthodox churches....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#556203 Aug 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true....they can trash away all they want....I am secure in my faith I don't have to hash out the same stuff everyday....I was told by our priest, you can tell someone about orthodoxy a couple of times if they truly want to learn. But if it is clear that they do not want to learn, walk away for they will draw you into sin by arguing ....this is what I am now trying to do....this is what you should do also. I wouldn't be here year after year if everyone was trashing the orthodox church...I just wish everyone here could respect each other
Sounds good. Hope things are going better for you,
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#556204 Aug 22, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true....they can trash away all they want....I am secure in my faith I don't have to hash out the same stuff everyday....I was told by our priest, you can tell someone about orthodoxy a couple of times if they truly want to learn. But if it is clear that they do not want to learn, walk away for they will draw you into sin by arguing ....this is what I am now trying to do....this is what you should do also. I wouldn't be here year after year if everyone was trashing the orthodox church...I just wish everyone here could respect each other
And it's one of the reasons I'm so seldom here anymore, it seems the only people who aren't trashing Catholic Christians are the Catholic Christians. Take care of yourself and keep the faith.

United States

#556205 Aug 22, 2014
guest wrote:
You are wrong on all counts, here, Anthony.
I've said it before. I'm saying it again. I have not claimed any affiliation with any denomination on this board. Never once.
-
And BTW - Jesus HIMSELF said to call no man father ... and you want to call HIM a LIAR? Go for it.
see how easy it is to let yourself get trapped by those who don't follow the Bible?
start at calling priests 'father' then flow them into their torture and murder of 'heretics'... and fall down the slippery slope ...
-
-
Anthony MN wrote:
You have/had a father I assume. If you called him anything like dad, daddy, papa, pop, you, by your own statements, broke/break Jesus's command. Guess that also makes you a torturer and murderer.
-
-
The mental gymnastics Catholics go through to justify their lies - is incredibly amazing.
-
My Earthly Father earned the right to be called "father" when he contributed 1/2 the DNA that is my genetic makeup. My Heavenly Father earned the right to be called "father" by creating life. NO priest can be any part of being my "father" - either genetically or spiritually.
-
And, no. I did not break Jesus command, as I got OUT of the Catholic church because IT demands I break Jesus' commands.
I got OUT of the Catholic church BECAUSE of its HISTORY of torture and murder. Period. So as to I shall not share in her sins.
So, your extrapolation of calling my earthly father "father" to my being a "murderer and torturer" - does not jive one iota with logic.
-
-
http://biblehub.com/niv/revelation/18.htm

4 ....
“&#8239;‘Come out of her, my people,’
so that you will not share in her sins,
so that you will not receive any of her plagues;
5for her sins are piled up to heaven,
and God has remembered her crimes.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#556206 Aug 22, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
The mental gymnastics Catholics go through to justify their lies - is incredibly amazing.
-
My Earthly Father earned the right to be called "father" when he contributed 1/2 the DNA that is my genetic makeup. My Heavenly Father earned the right to be called "father" by creating life. NO priest can be any part of being my "father" - either genetically or spiritually.
-
And, no. I did not break Jesus command, as I got OUT of the Catholic church because IT demands I break Jesus' commands.
I got OUT of the Catholic church BECAUSE of its HISTORY of torture and murder. Period. So as to I shall not share in her sins.
So, your extrapolation of calling my earthly father "father" to my being a "murderer and torturer" - does not jive one iota with logic.
-
-
4 ....
"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."

Either this means "NO MAN" , that includes your earthly father, sperm donor father, father-in-law, sugar daddy, etc.,....or it means something else. Clearly you take it to mean "no man", therefore you break Jesus's command. And by your logic, if you break His command it means you're on your way to torture and murder.....

United States

#556207 Aug 22, 2014
guest wrote:
-
-
-
-
4 ....
-
-
Anthony MN wrote:
"And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven."
Either this means "NO MAN" , that includes your earthly father, sperm donor father, father-in-law, sugar daddy, etc.,....or it means something else. Clearly you take it to mean "no man", therefore you break Jesus's command. And by your logic, if you break His command it means you're on your way to torture and murder.....
-
-
Jesus himself called earthly fathers (provider of sperm) Father.
-
so no. your 'logic' makes no sense as you take it out of its context. And its context was heaping titles upon persons wishing to exhaust themselves above others.
-
But you know that.
And you choose to ignore it.
-
http://biblehub.com/niv/matthew/23.htm
5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteriesa wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
-

United States

#556208 Aug 22, 2014
*so no. your 'logic' makes no sense as you take it out of its context. And its context was heaping titles upon persons wishing to EXALT themselves above others.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#556209 Aug 22, 2014
who="Anthony MN"]<quoted text>
And it's one of the reasons I'm so seldom here anymore, it seems the only people who aren't trashing Catholic Christians are the Catholic Christians. Take care of yourself and keep the faith.

----------
Anthony...some of what you say may be true. Many people are more concerned with being 'right', than they are with searching out the truth. However, there are many who are not 'trashing' anyone; they wish to come to an understanding of the truth because they love people. If we seriously look at the many opinions available, we can discover that God (not man) is always 'right'.

I find that very few people are willing to "come now, let us reason together," says the Lord.
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#556210 Aug 22, 2014
who="RoSesz"]<quo ted text>
Any time ..I rarely go anywhere myself . I take 2 weeks to pack to see my boys lol .
Wouldn't it be great to get to meet for coffee or tea anytime in the winter ....
Summers too hot to go out, imo, but I love winter when it's,drops below 70 .
We'd have fun though I have a feeling we'd probably laugh so much they'd send the
White coats,:)

----------
I think that you are right. But it's O.K....the joy of the Lord is our strength !!!
Just Sayin

United States

#556211 Aug 22, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
-
so no. your 'logic' makes no sense as you take it out of its context. And its context was heaping titles upon persons wishing to exhaust themselves above others.
-
But you know that.
-
5 “Everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteriesa wide and the tassels on their garments long; 6 they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; 7 they love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces and to be called ‘Rabbi’ by others.
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
-
"Exhaust themselves over others"

What?

United States

#556212 Aug 22, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Exhaust themselves over others"
What?
I corrected it in my next post
exalt
exalt is the word
auto correct really is the pits sometimes, isn't it?
Liam

Detroit, MI

#556213 Aug 22, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
-
-
But you know that.
-
-
Please understand your "call no man Father" interpretation is very new.....maybe the last 150 yrs. The first wave of fanaticism didnt entertain it. You however, have made it your battle cry....along with torture murder torture murder and pagan.

"Our father Abraham" acts 7:2

"Our father Issac" Romans 9:10

Timothy was Paul's "son" 1timothy 2:18 and 2tim 2:1. That makes Paul his father.

"For I became your FATHER in Christ Jesus through the Gospel" 1cor 4:15-15

Could it be that you've taken Jesus words out of context? Do you call your dad father.....your doctor "doctor", your teacher "teacher"? Do you wear a pagan wedding ring? Lol
Just Sayin

United States

#556214 Aug 22, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're full of propaganda miss Jehovah's Witness.
It doesn't mean what you think it means. And the proof is in the fact that you call your dad father.
But Anthony, any verse selected can mean to them whatever they want it to mean. That's the rules of Protestantism. There is very little point in declaring that Bible comprehension is not subjective. They interpret willy nilly, but they hate how you stick to the ancient and historical and always believed interpretations. I am surprised that nobody has yet claimed that women don't sin and aren't in need of salvation since the Bible is so heavy on the use of the male pronoun.
LTM

Elliot Lake, Canada

#556215 Aug 22, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
you are correct, Sera is one of the nicest posters on this Forum, and I do believe that she loves the Lord
HI , PRESTON HOPE ALL IS GOOD , I HAVE NOT BEEN ON TO MUCH.
I HAVE HAD A LITTLE SET BACK, I CAN'T WALK VERY WELL RIGHT NOW.
I AM BENT RIGHT OVER ADVANCE ARTHRITIS IN MY SPINE AND HIPS.
WELL THE MIDDLE EAST HAS EXPLODED NO SURPRISE WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, IS COMING VERY SOON. PRAISE THE LORD.
MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAIMLY.
GOD BLESS. Elaine

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#556216 Aug 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand your "call no man Father" interpretation is very new.....maybe the last 150 yrs. The first wave of fanaticism didnt entertain it. You however, have made it your battle cry....along with torture murder torture murder and pagan.
Timothy was Paul's "son" 1timothy 2:18 and 2tim 2:1. That makes Paul his father.
Could it be that you've taken Jesus words out of context? Do you call your dad father.....your doctor "doctor", your teacher "teacher"? Do you wear a pagan wedding ring? Lol
so is that verse NEW also? did Jesus just say it 150 years ago?

clay don't be so asinine as to think that we believe the malarkey that you spew on this forum constantly.

look at these words.

He was using hyperbole (exaggeration to make a point) http://www.catholic.com/tracts/call-no-man-fa...

Related Words amplification, enhancement; fabrication,[[[misrepresentati on;]]] fudging, hedging; hype, puffery; superlative.

look at these [related words} especially misrepresentation.Misrepresent ation is a concept in the contract law of England and some other Commonwealth countries, referring to a false statement of fact made by one party to another party,

I posted all of those descriptions to show that you catholics will even stoop so low as to call Jesus a person who lies and misrepresents Biblical truth.

wonder how that person will explain that to Jesus ,that He was lying to those around Him

Location hidden

#556217 Aug 22, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
HI , PRESTON HOPE ALL IS GOOD , I HAVE NOT BEEN ON TO MUCH.
I HAVE HAD A LITTLE SET BACK, I CAN'T WALK VERY WELL RIGHT NOW.
I AM BENT RIGHT OVER ADVANCE ARTHRITIS IN MY SPINE AND HIPS.
WELL THE MIDDLE EAST HAS EXPLODED NO SURPRISE WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, IS COMING VERY SOON. PRAISE THE LORD.
MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAIMLY.
GOD BLESS. Elaine
thank you for those Prayers. I am kinda bummed out right now. Justin is going back to China to work. He has accepted a position with the United Nations, and I don't want him to leave, but he is of age so all I can do is wish him well.
LTM

Elliot Lake, Canada

#556218 Aug 22, 2014
Oswald Chambers Devotional: My Utmost for his Highest!

I Indeed ... But He”

I indeed baptize you with water ... but He ... will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire —Matthew 3:11

Have I ever come to the point in my life where I can say,“I indeed ... but He ...”? Until that moment comes, I will never know what the baptism of the Holy Spirit means. I indeed am at the end, and I cannot do anything more— but He begins right there— He does the things that no one else can ever do. Am I prepared for His coming? Jesus cannot come and do His work in me as long as there is anything blocking the way, whether it is something good or bad. When He comes to me, am I prepared for Him to drag every wrong thing I have ever done into the light? That is exactly where He comes. Wherever I know I am unclean is where He will put His feet and stand, and wherever I think I am clean is where He will remove His feet and walk away.

Repentance does not cause a sense of sin— it causes a sense of inexpressible unworthiness. When I repent, I realize that I am absolutely helpless, and I know that through and through I am not worthy even to carry His sandals. Have I repented like that, or do I have a lingering thought of possibly trying to defend my actions? The reason God cannot come into my life is that I am not at the point of complete repentance.

“He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.” John is not speaking here of the baptism of the Holy Spirit as an experience, but as a work performed by Jesus Christ.“He will baptize you ....” The only experience that those who are baptized with the Holy Spirit are ever conscious of is the experience of sensing their absolute unworthiness.

“I indeed” was this in the past,“but He” came and something miraculous happened. Get to the end of yourself where you can do nothing, but where He does everything.

Bible Verse of the Day

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Hebrews 13:5 (KJV)

Location hidden

#556219 Aug 22, 2014
this guy posted this statement on a catholic blog and got banned.lol

Mar 16,'05, 7:21 am
Banned
Book Club Member Join Date: August 12, 2004
Religion: Catholic, Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to dumspirospero Send a message via Yahoo to dumspirospero

Default Re: "Call no man Father"...

----------

THe protestant interpretation of that passage you are referring to, like most of their interpretations, is taken out of context, twisted to fit their agenda, and just wrong. When the Bible says, call no man Father...it is not prohibiting us from calling our parents or priest "father"...it is basically another way of restating the 1st Commandment where it says (condensed version) "You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve."...because if you look at the entire scripture in context it says "Call no one on earth your father, you have but one father in heaven" It is perfectly ok to call your dad father...or call a priest father...but if you were to call them Father the same way you call God "Father", that is what Jesus is telling us not to do. I believe what one must be aware of is the spirit of superiority and pride that can accompany these titles....because Jesus goes on to say "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled; but whoever humbles himself will be exalted".

my question would be this. how can any person twist and misinterpret these few words.

call no man FATHER.

four little words from the mouth of Jesus. since you catholics know that Jesus is lying and didn't really mean it when He said that, we must accept your interpretation of those four little words.lol
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#556220 Aug 22, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
A son calling his parent father is very different than a man claiming the title of "holy father" or a supposed teacher of God's Word being called father. Keep it in contex instead of disregarding it.

"If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father." ( John 10:37-38)

How do you know the interpretation is "very new"? Can you provide any proof or are you just throwing things out there hoping they'll stick to someone?

United States

#556221 Aug 22, 2014
Liam wrote:

-
so no. your 'logic' makes no sense as you take it out of its context. And its context was heaping titles upon persons wishing to *EXALT themselves above others.
-
But you know that.
-
-
-
Liam wrote:
-
-
The only jewelry I wear is my medical alert necklace so a "doctor" or "nurse" or other "medical professional" will know what drugs I am allergic to.
-
Yes. I call my doctors "doctor". I would not dream of calling them 'father' because they are not my "father" - they don't deserve the title.
-
Abraham was the "father" of Isaac and grand-father of Jacob ... so the use of the term 'father' in his instance is quite appropriate.
-
Liam: "Please understand your "call no man Father" interpretation is very new.....maybe the last 150 yrs"
-
Obviously you are attempting to set precedent here with the "....maybe the last 150 yrs" argument.
-
Lets do a timeline for comparison:
-
1. Jesus said: Call NO MAN Father.
2. Pope said, call priests and popes father.
-
See? the precedent was set by Christ himself.
-
It doesn't matter how OLD or how NEW.
What matters is WHO.
-
Jesus said don't do it, I'm not gonna do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Dec 3 Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Nov 30 Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
News Free Presbyterians 'will protest' Pope's visit Nov 29 narako 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Nov 29 Married in 10,375
News Pope Francis confers Ratzinger Prizes, pays tri... Nov 29 narako 1
More from around the web