Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 673314 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

United States

#553883 Aug 10, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a terrible thing to accuse someone of "correcting Christ" because they don't believe in your rituals. Before your pope called Christ's flesh the "eucharist", the scripture called it Christ's flesh. I'll stay with scripture.
-
-
Yes. This is exactly what the RCC believes they are qualified to do. Correct Christ.
-
Perfect example: Matthew 23:9 "Call NO Man Your Father."

United States

#553884 Aug 10, 2014
Liam wrote:
I probably would jump. Lol. The pope can't invent doctrines and dogma. He doest thumb thru the Scriptures like an American pastor, looking for new revelations from God. He has to abide by the Church too. This means the Church in century one, two and now. These protestant pastors hated the Papacy, yet among their inner circles, they bestowed more authority upon themselves. If it comes down to a critical decision on faith and morals, u can bet your behind that humble Liam will obey Francis. As Christ's prime minister, the Bishop of Rome will not error when sitting in the chair of Peter.
-
-
USA Born wrote:
Obey Francis. You are sick with delusion.
-
-
so, explain to us like we are 4 year-olds, Liam.
-
since ex cathedra doctirne come AFTER the inquisition ... does that mean that the inquisition should NOT to have been carried out by the sycophants of the pope?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_infallibil...
-
and ... along those lines ... does that mean that the torture and murder of 'heretics'::somehow:: didn't happen IRL ??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Inquisi...
-
yeah
just me, goin' all Wiki on you again .... IF Wiki is all wrong, go in and change it .... like you tried to do to the Bible.
-
Too many people in control of Wiki, though, huh? Not like when the Catholic Church was the only one with control of the Bible for such a long time.
-
The GATES of HELL will not prevail against God's True Church. Because he has seen to it that His Word is PROTECTED and spread around so anyone who wants to read it, CAN read it!

United States

#553885 Aug 10, 2014
USA Born wrote:
History and scripture are two different things. There are no writings of Peter being your pope until Irenaeus ( 130 - 202 CE) began writing a hundred years later. The Apostles wrote everything in the first century. The writings of the Apostles were circulating among Christians since their beginning, before and after Irenaeus. The scriptures were not given to any specific organized religion but to the Church Christ was building.
What you can't accept is historical fact. Historical facts do not support the legends and traditions taught by the church. Christ gave His blood and flesh for all, before your traditions and rituals existed.
-
-
Liam wrote:
Give me the name of one 'Christian' outside of Scripture who shared your theology in the first centyry. Heck, give the name of anyone in the first 1800 yrs of Christianity!!
-
-
Liam!(As if you think they did not exist).. and of course you had to qualify your statement as "outside of scripture" because INSIDE OF SCRIPTURE, there are plenty who share this theology.
-
Sadly, Rome - the precursor to the RCC - was busy torturing and murdering those who did not agree with their doctrine - and dead men tell no tales. Dead men also can't record anything as provenance. How convenient for the RCC!

United States

#553886 Aug 10, 2014
USA Born wrote:
It's a terrible thing to accuse someone of "correcting Christ" because they don't believe in your rituals. Before your pope called Christ's flesh the "eucharist", the scripture called it Christ's flesh. I'll stay with scripture.
-
-
Liam wrote:
"And Melchizadek King of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was the priest of God most high" (Genesis 14:18)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8)
"For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgement; I am the Lord. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt. "This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord' throughout your generations, as a statute forever, and you shall keep it as a feast. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person is cut off from Israel" (Exodus 12:7-11)
"Get rid of your yeast so that you may be a new unleavened batch- as you really are. For Christ our Passover Lamb has been sacrificed for us" (1Cor 6:7)
"For I received from the Lord what I also delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said: "This is my body, which is for you, do this in rememberance of me". In the same way, after supper he took the cup saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, do this in rememberance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the Body and Blood of Christ".( 1cor 11:22-25)
-
-
Wow! Liam YOU ARE QUOTING SCRIPTURE!
-
out of context, but still...
yeah. I don't think Catholics can handle the scriptures, so best they leave them alone ...
-
LOL! keep doing that and someone will accuse you of being one of them there ... "sola-scriptura" dudes ...

United States

#553887 Aug 10, 2014
Liam wrote:
Because the Church ultimately didn't consider them inspired. Look, the Bible didn't come with a list. Chapters and verses didn't even appear until the Catholic Church broke it down as such. Do you agree with how they did that?
-
-
yon wrote:
Well when did it happen that since these epistles weren't inspired but continued to be taught as "Sacred Tradition" that would supersede to this day that which they said was inspired?
http://carm.org/roman-catholicism
-
-
Liam: "Look, the Bible didn't come with a list."
"Look, the Bible didn't come with a list."
-
-
Christianity did, though:
-
http://biblehub.com/niv/matthew/22.htm
37 Jesus replied:“&#8239;‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it:‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
-
Tell me, Liam - how does torturing and murdering your neighbor ... equal Christian love?
-
"All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
"ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS HANG ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS."

United States

#553888 Aug 10, 2014
"ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS HANG ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS."
-
-
kind of a short list, huh, Liam?

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#553889 Aug 10, 2014
The greatest weapon Christ has on earth today against the RCC is the Holy Spirit along with the Protestants.

They may not all agree with doctrine but they have one thing in common and thats the fight against the Satanic founded RCC. JESUS IS LORD.

United States

#553890 Aug 10, 2014
USA Born wrote:
What is your point in posting the scriptures?
Non- catholic Christians are aware of the last supper. We know what Christ said concerning His flesh and blood. It's not a catholic thing.
I'm sure your church has added some ritual that makes their followers "worthy" to take the bread and the cup on cue. You put alot of faith in men.
-
-
Liam wrote:
Because you said our "rituals' are pagan and came from a pope.
watch this for a minute......
The Catholic Mass in 155 AD:
www.youtube.com/watch...
Im just pointing out the impossibilities of your assertions. That, and the fact you can't reveal any Christians who were like minded in any century, for 1800 yrs. I don't think you are a bad person, I just think you ought to change your approach to Sacred Scripture and get rid of your anti-catholic slander stuff. Im not saying you have to run out and join the CC. Just get your stuff straight, that's all.
-
-
I watched your video, Liam.
Lame to say the least.
History written after the fact BY THE AGGRESSOR, is not truly history.
-
Case in point:
Consider American History for instance:
White man Murdered and tortured the Native Americans and called them Merciless Indian Savages.
That is what is written in the history books of this country.
It is even written in the Declaration of Independence that they are "Merciless Indian Savages."
-
But I ask you: Would someone in American history - who was protecting themselves and their property - be called a MERCILESS SAVAGE ... if his/her skin was white?
No.
-
History is written by the victor - which is usually the aggressor.
-
White man was the aggressor in American History; very little History is extant from the Native Americans.
-
Rome was the aggressor in Roman Catholic Church history 'or' "Christian" History; very little history is extant from True Christians.
-
go figure.

United States

#553891 Aug 10, 2014
HISTORY is written by the AGGRESSOR.
-
Throughout history, in this Common Era - Roman Catholicism has been the AGGRESSOR.
-
Get over yourselves.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#553892 Aug 10, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.....maybe its time you started drinking. It will help wash away all those evils on your mind that you need to deal with.
I stopped drinking years ago thank you..
There's no evil on my mind..
I think you have your own problems to deal with loon..

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#553893 Aug 10, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The Atheist magician James Randi never took any mind-altering drugs, as he also wanted to think in a clear manner.
Thanks for reading my posts. Even if you don't agree, it means a lot that you take the time to read and consider what you will do with the information ... which is, discard it as garbage ... or consider it as thoughts on which to ponder.
I ponder on a lot of your post June and yes, I also think a lot of them are garbage, but so are a lot of mine :)
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#553894 Aug 10, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I stopped drinking years ago thank you..
There's no evil on my mind..
I think you have your own problems to deal with loon..
...,and what problems are they?

....someone disagrees with you so you claim they have a problem? You wonder why people opt out of religion.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#553896 Aug 10, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
NONE of us Catholics are interested in your " anti -catholic 21st century" Protestant " fictitious " history lessons which are inundated with distorted, twisted and perverted information........Thanks but I use your information as target for our" dart board" and then as "kindling" to lite a fire in our fire pit at our Sunday family evening gathering....
.......One day you will join back up with one of your favorite protestant groups because you popularity with catholics on this forum is zero.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#553897 Aug 10, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Many unamed people,were,crucified..the,Jew s,AND ROMANS did not believe in the,Resurrection. Why would they write,about it ..
How do you know,what writings,were destroyed in Judea,in the,fall of Jerusalem .or destroyed by the Emperors , Jews, zealots persecuting the,Christians,...those,who believed wrote..to each other and for posterity ..it's,God's,hand,that preserved,what we,have .
....a man that could bring dead people back to life, and feed 5000 people with 1 loaf of crusty bread and 1 halibut fish would have commanded great attention. But nobody seemed to noticed.

.....a miraculous virgin birth with kings following a new light in the sky, baring gifts for the new born king, and no one noticed?

.....the sky going completely dark, and zombies coming out of their graves, and no one during this time noticed?

....a man commanding so much attention that he had to preach from a boat on the sea of Galilee because the crowds were so overwhelming....yet contemporary history says nothing.

.....today we have world libraries that contain writings and manuscripts from this location and era and not one of them mention anything of what I stated above about Jesus, Mary, Joseph, or 12 apostles.

...I am not saying you are wrong, and factually you can't say I am wrong.

....remember what you have is a Belief. Belief does not mean a fact.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#553898 Aug 10, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're just a judgemental old hag whose perfection is above reproach.
I admit I know little about the inner workings of the RCC. I have become interested and have much to learn. I do not hate catholics or any person here. I disagree with the popes assertion that the RCC is the only true church.
If you don't like wiki, give me a source that proves me wrong.
Like I said before, it doesn't take away from the bloody, murderous history of your RCC. Do you need a link for that too dolt?
You know nothing about me. You made the highly offensive and insulting accusation that the Catholic Church was killing Christians in the first century and based it on a wiki article which you mis-read and presumably some phantom authoritative sources. Then you begrudgingly concede and sarcastically claim that it was Christians killing Christians because you don't believe the Church at Rome even existed. When called out, you demand I prove you wrong. That's not how it works, again, it's you making the allegation, the burden of proof is on the accuser.

P.s. If you're sincere as you say you are and want to know what the Church teaches, just ask. It doesn't make sense to get your info from hostile anti-Catholic sources.
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553899 Aug 10, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Every religion has an inquisitive method in place to weed out heresy. And yeah, it is Biblical:
"If any among you, within the towns the Lord has given you, a man or woman who does evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgression his covenant, and has gone and served other gods,.........then you shall inquire dillegently."
Deuteronomy 17:2-5
Your info on the Inquisitions is outdated, im sure. I told you..... throw away those anti Catholic propaganda pamphlets and seek truth.
What do you mean outdated? How can history be outdated? There is good and evil, with everything in between in all areas of this world. When men lust after anything, power, money etc. they will do whatever it takes to acquire it.

IMO, the adversary of our God can be seen in every aspect of Biblical history, current day, and as scriptures tells us, the future. I'm just saying be careful. Listen to every word and watch any actions of your church leaders, especially the Vatican, putting God first in all things. IMO, the world is changing for the worst at a very rapid rate. We all know how it's going to end. I have no doubt God is yours and you are God's.
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553900 Aug 10, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You know nothing about me. You made the highly offensive and insulting accusation that the Catholic Church was killing Christians in the first century and based it on a wiki article which you mis-read and presumably some phantom authoritative sources. Then you begrudgingly concede and sarcastically claim that it was Christians killing Christians because you don't believe the Church at Rome even existed. When called out, you demand I prove you wrong. That's not how it works, again, it's you making the allegation, the burden of proof is on the accuser.
P.s. If you're sincere as you say you are and want to know what the Church teaches, just ask. It doesn't make sense to get your info from hostile anti-Catholic sources.
And you know nothing about me. While I have read that first century Christians were killed at the hands of others claiming to be Christian, it's been awhile and I cannot provide the link. I was wrong in calling those christians "catholic", therefore insulting all catholics. That was wrong.

However, you cannot deny the church has a bloody past.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#553901 Aug 10, 2014
Tony17 wrote:
Giving honor to God who's the head of my life.
All people of religion have imaginary gods or goddesses in their heads that they claim head their lives.

"Holy ME is following MY deitie's SET IN UNIVERSAL-TRUTH'S rules ... and you are NOT ... you evil wretch."
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#553902 Aug 10, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
This is such an excellent post from you, USA Born.
-
Sadly, the truth is, Catholics don't like Wiki because it records all their misdeeds. I had this discussion with them before, and challenged them to go in and change whatever is found to be inaccurate - as it is Wiki's policy to allow the community itself to edit inaccuracies found there.:: Contrast that with the Catholic Church who tells lies and expects their followers to just believe them without question.
-
It's much like the modern day struggle of the Israelis vs. the Palestinians.
The lie has been told so often that everyone, even the media, believe that Israel has continually attacked the Palestinians unprovoked.
-
The VICTIM becomes the 'aggressor' with this sort of propaganda running rampant and being believed by much of the world. But, this is "war' on evil to the Muslim when they are slaughtering 'infidels'. Just like it was 'war' on evil to the Catholic when they were slaughtering heretics.
-
Again, I say, the Arabs learned it all by watching the Catholics. And now HELL has indeed PREVAILED on the earth.
-
I have said this before: Catholics like to say that hell shall not prevail against the Catholic Church.... But, quite frankly, they opened the door to hell and walked right in.
-
There is no way that Christ would allow torture and murder to be a means of winning converts to the faith. And I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend why the Catholic does not understand that.
Except that wiki doesn't say what you and USA are saying about the Catholic Church. And I've asked you to cite evidence of your claims many times...but you've never been able to, just like USA. You two shouldn't be so gullible.
hojo

Chanhassen, MN

#553903 Aug 10, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
<quoted text>
-
-
Wow! Liam YOU ARE QUOTING SCRIPTURE!
-
out of context, but still...
yeah. I don't think Catholics can handle the scriptures, so best they leave them alone ...
-
LOL! keep doing that and someone will accuse you of being one of them there ... "sola-scriptura" dudes ...
We as Catholics can ALL quote scripture!.... The difference is that we don't "misquote it" and "mis-interpret it" like bible only Protestants!.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr ThineWillBeDone 10,480
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... Mar 22 sharona 406
News Pope Francis to visit Egypt on April 28-29: Vat... Mar 18 For an ISLAM-FREE... 1
News Pope Francis 'urges parents to have fewer child... Mar 18 Newt G s Next Rel... 24
News Benedict's Resignation: Blame Obama Mar 14 Texxy 1
News Pope discusses climate, immigrants in historic ... (Sep '15) Mar 13 Wall specialist 49
News The Real 'Muslim Ban' Is Happening in Muslim Co... Mar 6 synchronized 1
More from around the web