Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 665489 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#553739 Aug 9, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was a Jew and apparently accepted the Jewish faith, not Christianity.
Do you fool your self into believing that when you post the above you were NOT indoctrinated by religion???

Surely you can't BE serious.

To preach as truth that Jesus existed, indicates that you believe in your own brand OF religion.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#553740 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
That was only when I registered with topix. I was posting for three years before that time. Are you jealous that I can also be yappy???
:)
The difference is ... I know that I'm yappy ... but I never used religion to preach at others that a God wouldn't love them "for any reason whatsoever" ... which is your continual obnoxious HABIT!
The real difference is you are only praising your self...and ego trip......and your yapping is much ado about nothing...
Chess

Columbus, OH

#553741 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
All dogmas in all religions were created by men.
I don't believe that a Jew named Jesus (as a savior) ever existed. That was simply a word created from the Greek word Ihcuc, meaning fish, or savior to those that spoke the Greek language.
You also have a great DESIRE to believe you know universal truth.
It's a mundane habit of all those that suffer from the blight of religion.
Well, you keep deluding yourself, child.

Hear?
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#553742 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a terrible thing to accuse someone of "correcting Christ" because they don't believe in your rituals. Before your pope called Christ's flesh the "eucharist", the scripture called it Christ's flesh. I'll stay with scripture.
"And Melchizadek King of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was the priest of God most high" (Genesis 14:18)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8)
"For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgement; I am the Lord. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt. "This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord' throughout your generations, as a statute forever, and you shall keep it as a feast. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person is cut off from Israel" (Exodus 12:7-11)

"Get rid of your yeast so that you may be a new unleavened batch- as you really are. For Christ our Passover Lamb has been sacrificed for us" (1Cor 6:7)

"For I received from the Lord what I also delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said: "This is my body, which is for you, do this in rememberance of me". In the same way, after supper he took the cup saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, do this in rememberance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the Body and Blood of Christ".( 1cor 11:22-25)
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#553743 Aug 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the Church ultimately didn't consider them inspired. Look, the Bible didn't come with a list. Chapters and verses didn't even appear until the Catholic Church broke it down as such. Do you agree with how they did that?
Well when did it happen that since these epistles weren't inspired but continued to be taught as "Sacred Tradition" that would supersede to this day that which they said was inspired?

http://carm.org/roman-catholicism

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#553744 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Now we have the new author of fiction with her goddess-LOVE-bullshit!
Starhawk (Miriam Simos) has made her fortune by writing fantasy and encouraging others to dance around campfires and bring down the supposed power of the goddess from the moon.
Good GRIEF!
Humans often make a big fuss over nothing.
Other animals don't go to such "extremes."
hahaha! gosh I love your post..
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553745 Aug 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
"And Melchizadek King of Salem, brought out bread and wine. He was the priest of God most high" (Genesis 14:18)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8)
"For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgement; I am the Lord. The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt. "This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord' throughout your generations, as a statute forever, and you shall keep it as a feast. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread. On the first day you shall remove leaven out of your houses, for if anyone eats what is leavened from the first day until the seventh day, that person is cut off from Israel" (Exodus 12:7-11)
"Get rid of your yeast so that you may be a new unleavened batch- as you really are. For Christ our Passover Lamb has been sacrificed for us" (1Cor 6:7)
"For I received from the Lord what I also delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said: "This is my body, which is for you, do this in rememberance of me". In the same way, after supper he took the cup saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, do this in rememberance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the Body and Blood of Christ".( 1cor 11:22-25)
What is your point in posting the scriptures?

Non- catholic Christians are aware of the last supper. We know what Christ said concerning His flesh and blood. It's not a catholic thing.

I'm sure your church has added some ritual that makes their followers "worthy" to take the bread and the cup on cue. You put alot of faith in men.
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#553746 Aug 9, 2014
jw's do the same thing as they treat everything written in their wt's as inspired but say that it isn't, but they say the Bible is inspired, yet they have "wt studies" at public meetings but "Bible Studies" only with those they are trying to indoctrinate into becoming members.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#553747 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes ... religions ARE funny. And that is because the people that wrote the literature were funny, as in self-deluded.
It's of no consequence to me what you think, goofy.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#553748 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you fool your self into believing that when you post the above you were NOT indoctrinated by religion???
Surely you can't BE serious.
To preach as truth that Jesus existed, indicates that you believe in your own brand OF religion.
I have no religion, goofy.

Ripped from Wiki because it was convenient:

"Most modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed...."
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553749 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
History and scripture are two different things. There are no writings of Peter being your pope until Irenaeus ( 130 - 202 CE) began writing a hundred years later. The Apostles wrote everything in the first century. The writings of the Apostles were circulating among Christians since their beginning, before and after Irenaeus. The scriptures were not given to any specific organized religion but to the Church Christ was building.
What you can't accept is historical fact. Historical facts do not support the legends and traditions taught by the church. Christ gave His blood and flesh for all, before your traditions and rituals existed.
Why don't you back up your assertion that Catholics were persecuting Christians and Jews in the first century with facts?
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553750 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Non- catholic Christians are aware of the last supper. We know what Christ said concerning His flesh and blood. It's not a catholic thing.
I'm sure your church has added some ritual that makes their followers "worthy" to take the bread and the cup on cue. You put alot of faith in men.
Ummm...St. Paul preached about the worthiness of people receiving the Eucharist. Do you think Catholics added that part?
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553751 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
And youshould have kept reading.
Ignatius of Antioch (Ancient Greek: &#7992;&#947;&#957 ;&#940;&#964;&#953 ;&#959;&#962; &#7944;&#957;&#964 ;&#953;&#959;&#967 ;&#949;&#943;&#945 ;&#962;, also known as Theophorus from Greek &#920;&#949;&#959; &#966;&#972;&#961; &#959;&#962; "God-bearer")((c. 35 or 50)-(from 98 to 117))[1] was among the Apostolic Fathers, was the third Bishop of Antioch, and was a student of John the Apostle
En route to Rome, where according to Christian tradition he met his martyrdom by being fed to wild beasts, he wrote a series of letters which have been preserved as an example of very early Christian theology. Important topics addressed in these letters include ecclesiology, the sacraments, and the role of bishops
http://www.ask.com/wiki/Ignatius_of_Antioch...
"Christian tradition" does not equal truth.
How do you know?
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#553752 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a terrible thing to accuse someone of "correcting Christ" because they don't believe in your rituals. Before your pope called Christ's flesh the "eucharist", the scripture called it Christ's flesh. I'll stay with scripture.
"I am the living bread which came down from Heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread I give you is my flesh" (John 6:51)

"Then then they told what had happened to them on the road, and how He was known to them in the breaking of the bread" ....(ie "Mass")(Luke 24)

"This is my Body"

"Since then, these things are manifest to us, and we have looked into the depths of divine knowledge, we ought to do things in order which the Master commanded us to perform at the appointed times. He commanded us to celebrate sacrifices and services, and it should not be thoughtlessly or disorderely, but at fixed times and hours. He has Himself fixed by His supreme will the places AND persons whom He desires for theses celebrations (Masses), in order that all things may be done piously according to His good pleasure, and be acceptable to His will. So then those who offer their oblations at the appointed seasons are acceptable and blessed, but they follow the laws of the Master and do not sin. For to the high priest his proper been imposed. The laymen is bound by the ordinances of the laity"
"Our sin will not be small if we eject from the episcopate those who blamelessly and holily have offered its sacrifices"
( St. Clement, Bishop of Rome, student of Peter, Paul and John, 80 AD)

"Take not to those who hold heterdox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ who has come to us; they refrain from the Eucharist and prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Flesh which suffered for our sins and the Father in His goodness raised up again. they who deny this gift are perishing in their disputes" Bishop Ignatius of Antioch, Disciple of John around 100 AD.

"But concerning the Eucharist , after this fashion ye five thanks.
First, concerning the cup. We thank thee, our Father, for the holy wine, David thy Son, which thou has been made known to us through Jesus thy Son, to thee be the glory forever.(Didache)

And concerning the cup, We thank thee, our Father, for the life and knowledge that thou has made known to us through Jesus thy Son, to thee be glory forever.
As this broken bread was once scattered on the mountains, and after it hadbeen brought together, became one, so may thy Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth unto thy kingdom, for thine is teh glory and the power, through Jesus Christ, forever.(Didache)

And let no one eat or drink of your Eucharist but such as have been baptized into the name of the Lord, for of a truth the Lord has said concerning this, give not which is holy unto dogs"'

On the Lords day (Sunday) gather together, break bread and give thanks , after confessing your sins, so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache)

"We call this food Eucharist; and no one else is permitted to partake of it, except one who believes our teaching to be true and who has been washed in the washing which is for the remission of sins and for regeneration (Baptism), and is thereby living as Christ has enjoined.
For not as common bread and common drink do receive these, but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by Him, and by the change which our blood and flesh is nourished, IS BOTH the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus" (Justin Martyr, 150 AD)

www.therealpresence.org/eucharist/father/a5.h...

www.openbible.info/topics/eucharist
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553753 Aug 9, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you back up your assertion that Catholics were persecuting Christians and Jews in the first century with facts?
This is only one of many souces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...

Persecution of Christians can be traced historically from the time of Jesus in the first century to the present time.[1] Early Christians were persecuted for their faith at the hands of both Jews from whose religion Christianity arose and the Roman Empire which controlled much of the land across which early Christianity was distributed. Early in the fourth century, the religion was legalized by the Edict of Milan, and it eventually became the State church of the Roman Empire.

Christian missionaries, as well as the people that they converted to Christianity, have been the target of persecution, many times to the point of being martyred for their faith.

There is also a history of individual Christian denominations suffering persecution at the hands of other Christians under the charge of heresy, particularly during the 16th century Protestant Reformationas well as throughout the Middle Ages when various Christian groups deemed heretical were persecuted by the Papacy.

Now, without using your catholic writings, prove history wrong. Would love to see that.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#553754 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you said our "rituals' are pagan and came from a pope.

watch this for a minute......
The Catholic Mass in 155 AD:

www.youtube.com/watch...

Im just pointing out the impossibilities of your assertions. That, and the fact you can't reveal any Christians who were like minded in any century, for 1800 yrs. I don't think you are a bad person, I just think you ought to change your approach to Sacred Scripture and get rid of your anti-catholic slander stuff. Im not saying you have to run out and join the CC. Just get your stuff straight, that's all.
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553755 Aug 9, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...St. Paul preached about the worthiness of people receiving the Eucharist. Do you think Catholics added that part?
I know what Paul said. That's why I can't understand why the RCC forces the eucharist as a ritual. Paul nor any of the other Apostles taught a ritual that would make people "worthy" of taking the cup on cue. I don't believe your pope or priests have the authority to make anyone worthy through their words, rituals or traditions.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#553756 Aug 9, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha! gosh I love your post..
Thanks!

Am I once again ... "for the moment" ... your favorite Atheist???

Hahahahaha
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553757 Aug 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me the name of one 'Christian' outside of Scripture who shared your theology in the first centyry. Heck, give the name of anyone in the first 1800 yrs of Christianity!!
My theology? What is my theology.I believe if we want to know the Words of God and Christ we should read the Bible. I believe our sovereign God is able to preserve His Word.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Winter Park, FL

#553758 Aug 9, 2014
Whoever has the best weaponry has the "true" god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) 2 hr Father OFlanery 160
News Pope Francis's Visit to Turkey Embroiled in Par... (Dec '14) Dec 3 Azat 2
News As election nears, Pope Francis warns against f... Dec 1 Communist In A Dress 20
News Region's Catholic bishop welcomes Pope's stance... Nov 30 Cops are degenerates 35
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Nov 29 narako 2
News Free Presbyterians 'will protest' Pope's visit Nov 29 narako 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Nov 29 Married in 10,375
More from around the web