Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 687346 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553755 Aug 9, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...St. Paul preached about the worthiness of people receiving the Eucharist. Do you think Catholics added that part?
I know what Paul said. That's why I can't understand why the RCC forces the eucharist as a ritual. Paul nor any of the other Apostles taught a ritual that would make people "worthy" of taking the cup on cue. I don't believe your pope or priests have the authority to make anyone worthy through their words, rituals or traditions.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#553756 Aug 9, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
hahaha! gosh I love your post..
Thanks!

Am I once again ... "for the moment" ... your favorite Atheist???

Hahahahaha
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553757 Aug 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me the name of one 'Christian' outside of Scripture who shared your theology in the first centyry. Heck, give the name of anyone in the first 1800 yrs of Christianity!!
My theology? What is my theology.I believe if we want to know the Words of God and Christ we should read the Bible. I believe our sovereign God is able to preserve His Word.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Winter Park, FL

#553758 Aug 9, 2014
Whoever has the best weaponry has the "true" god.
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553759 Aug 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
"I am the living bread which came down from Heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread I give you is my flesh" (John 6:51)
"Then then they told what had happened to them on the road, and how He was known to them in the breaking of the bread" ....(ie "Mass")(Luke 24)
"This is my Body"
"Since then, these things are manifest to us, and we have looked into the depths of divine knowledge, we ought to do things in order which the Master commanded us to perform at the appointed times. He commanded us to celebrate sacrifices and services, and it should not be thoughtlessly or disorderely, but at fixed times and hours. He has Himself fixed by His supreme will the places AND persons whom He desires for theses celebrations (Masses), in order that all things may be done piously according to His good pleasure, and be acceptable to His will. So then those who offer their oblations at the appointed seasons are acceptable and blessed, but they follow the laws of the Master and do not sin. For to the high priest his proper been imposed. The laymen is bound by the ordinances of the laity"
"Our sin will not be small if we eject from the episcopate those who blamelessly and holily have offered its sacrifices"
( St. Clement, Bishop of Rome, student of Peter, Paul and John, 80 AD)
"Take not to those who hold heterdox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ who has come to us; they refrain from the Eucharist and prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Flesh which suffered for our sins and the Father in His goodness raised up again. they who deny this gift are perishing in their disputes" Bishop Ignatius of Antioch, Disciple of John around 100 AD.
"But concerning the Eucharist , after this fashion ye five thanks.
First, concerning the cup. We thank thee, our Father, for the holy wine, David thy Son, which thou has been made known to us through Jesus thy Son, to thee be the glory forever.(Didache)
And concerning the cup, We thank thee, our Father, for the life and knowledge that thou has made known to us through Jesus thy Son, to thee be glory forever.
As this broken bread was once scattered on the mountains, and after it hadbeen brought together, became one, so may thy Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth unto thy kingdom, for thine is teh glory and the power, through Jesus Christ, forever.(Didache)
And let no one eat or drink of your Eucharist but such as have been baptized into the name of the Lord, for of a truth the Lord has said concerning this, give not which is holy unto dogs"'
On the Lords day (Sunday) gather together, break bread and give thanks , after confessing your sins, so that your sacrifice may be pure" (Didache)
"We call this food Eucharist; and no one else is permitted to partake of it, except one who believes our teaching to be true and who has been washed in the washing which is for the remission of sins and for regeneration (Baptism), and is thereby living as Christ has enjoined.
For not as common bread and common drink do receive these, but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by Him, and by the change which our blood and flesh is nourished, IS BOTH the flesh and blood of that incarnate Jesus" (Justin Martyr, 150 AD)
www.therealpresence.org/eucharist/father/a5.h...
www.openbible.info/topics/eucharist
Alot of added on requirements Christ never gave.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Winter Park, FL

#553760 Aug 9, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Am I once again ... "for the moment" ... your favorite Atheist???
Hahahahaha
"Love me or else" is not Free Will.

The FSM loves you regardless.

peace and lust,
ramen
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553761 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
This is only one of many souces.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_C...
Persecution of Christians can be traced historically from the time of Jesus in the first century to the present time.[1] Early Christians were persecuted for their faith at the hands of both Jews from whose religion Christianity arose and the Roman Empire which controlled much of the land across which early Christianity was distributed. Early in the fourth century, the religion was legalized by the Edict of Milan, and it eventually became the State church of the Roman Empire.
Christian missionaries, as well as the people that they converted to Christianity, have been the target of persecution, many times to the point of being martyred for their faith.
There is also a history of individual Christian denominations suffering persecution at the hands of other Christians under the charge of heresy, particularly during the 16th century Protestant Reformationas well as throughout the Middle Ages when various Christian groups deemed heretical were persecuted by the Papacy.
Now, without using your catholic writings, prove history wrong. Would love to see that.
I've seen this already. It mentions the Jews and the Roman Empire as the persecutors. No mention of Catholics and/or Catholic Church persecuting anyone. Can you cite another of your "many sources"?
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Winter Park, FL

#553762 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
My theology? What is my theology.I believe if we want to know the Words of God and Christ we should read the Bible. I believe our sovereign God is able to preserve His Word.
Do you advocate child abuse? Of course not.

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment:He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. Matthew 15:4-7

Abandon your wife and children for Jesus and hell give your a big reward. Jesus asks that his followers abandon their children to follow him. To leave your child is abuse, its called neglect, pure and simple. Matthew 19:29

Jesus criticizes the Jews for not killing their disobedient children according to Old Testament law. Mark 7:9

Yo don't really believe most of the Bible. You are very selective.

You need to be, because it's a delusion. You KNOW to wash your hands before eating is good, basic hygene.

Silly stuff, but it was drilled into you since childhood. Get a grip.

peace and love,
ramen

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#553763 Aug 9, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
When denying theft, consider using the active rather than the passive voice.
For further reading consult Strunk and White's The Elements of Style.
Thief.
These are not my words...however, I firmly believe the teaching 100%, so I am proud to copy/paste it:

Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to demonstrate to their children God's pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents..

Give me the name of the author.....the originator of this teaching...
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#553764 Aug 9, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen this already. It mentions the Jews and the Roman Empire as the persecutors. No mention of Catholics and/or Catholic Church persecuting anyone. Can you cite another of your "many sources"?
Prove it. Where does the site I posted say the Jews and Roman empire were the persecutors.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#553765 Aug 9, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ was a plagiarist, too?
Thief.
Can't face the truth so you prattle..lying snake....
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553766 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what Paul said. That's why I can't understand why the RCC forces the eucharist as a ritual. Paul nor any of the other Apostles taught a ritual that would make people "worthy" of taking the cup on cue. I don't believe your pope or priests have the authority to make anyone worthy through their words, rituals or traditions.

To which rituals are you referring? Clearly they DID teach is to examine ourselves before receiving the Eucharist.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#553767 Aug 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
These are not my words...however, I firmly believe the teaching 100%, so I am proud to copy/paste it:
Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord. Parents are to demonstrate to their children God's pattern for marriage. Parents are to teach their children spiritual and moral values and to lead them, through consistent lifestyle example and loving discipline, to make choices based on biblical truth. Children are to honor and obey their parents..
Give me the name of the author.....the originator of this teaching...
You're responsible for citing your sources, thief, not me.

My job here is to make fun of your ignorance and dishonesty.

And you make that job easy.

Thank you for your support.
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#553768 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it. Where does the site I posted say the Jews and Roman empire were the persecutors.
"Early Christians were persecuted for their faith at the hands of both Jews from whose religion Christianity arose and the Roman Empire which controlled much of the land across which early Christianity was distributed. "

Um, I suggest you actually READ the sources you cite.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#553769 Aug 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't face the truth so you prattle..lying snake....
The truth is you're lying, thief.

Not only can I face that, I relish it.

You think you have any credibility here with anyone with a lick of sense?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

#553770 Aug 9, 2014
Is it likely that so many churches, and they so great, should have gone astray into one and the same faith? Nothing spread among many men results in one and the same result. Error of doctrine in the churches must necessarily have produced various issues. When, however, that which is deposited among many is found to be one and the same, that is not a result of error, but tradition.(Prescription Against Heretics 28)
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#553771 Aug 9, 2014
Gods r Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
"Love me or else" is not Free Will.
The FSM loves you regardless.
peace and lust,
ramen
Hahahahaha

I wonder if the god of the Jews was "horny" when he decided to impregnate Mary with the invisible sperm that he knew would materia-lies his Jewish son ... or if he just did it out of guilt for first creating Adam and Eve knowing they were going to sin and diddle each other in their garden to create more human sinners???

THAT god has a lot for which to answer ... while your spaghetti-god ... not quite so much.

:)
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#553772 Aug 9, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Alot of added on requirements Christ never gave.
The quotes were from the writings of the Apostles (Didache) and from their close disciples- Bishops' Ignatius and Clement. Yet you, in 2014 AD, determine from our Bible, that Christ never required this?? Our Lord just handed out Bible verses for the world to decipher?
yon

Miami Beach, FL

#553773 Aug 9, 2014
Testimonies from ex-Roman Catholic Priests

by Matt Slick

The following quotes are taken from the book by Richard Bennet, Far from Rome, Near to God: Testimonies of 50 Converted Roman Catholic Priests, Carlisle, PN: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1997. They are quite interesting and valuable since they give an insight to Catholicism from those who were priests in the Catholic Church and then left it to find salvation in Jesus.

Following are excerpts from only a few of the fifty testimonies in the book:

(my favorite so far #4)

Hugh Farrell. Born in Denver, Colorado. Entered the Order of our Lady of Mount Carmel, commonly called the Discalced Carmelite Fathers. Ordained as a priest.
Priestly power to change elements: "The priest, according to the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church, has the power to take ordinary bread and wine, and, by pronouncing the words of the consecration prayer in the sacrifice of the Mass, to change it into the actual body and blood and soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. Hence, since one cannot separate the human nature of Christ from his divinity, the bread and wine, after being changed into the body and blood of Jesus Christ, are entitled to the worship of adoration." (pp. 28)
Temporal punishment due to sins. "I knew from the teachings of the priests and nuns that I could not hope to go directly to heaven after my death. My Roman Catholic catechism taught me that after death I had to pay for the temporal punishment due to my sins. The Roman Catholic Church teaches that 'the souls of the just which, in a moment of death, are burdened with venial sins or temporal punishment due to sin, enter purgatory.'" (p. 29)
Penance. Regarding life in the monastery and doing penance. "These penances consist of standing with the arms outstretched to form a cross, kissing the sandaled feet of the monks, receiving a blow upon the face from the monks, and, at the end of the meal, lying prostrate before the entrance to the refectory so that the departing monks must step over one's body. These, and other penances, are supposed to gain one merit in heaven and increase one's 'spiritual bank account.'" (p. 36)
The Mass and sorcery. "According to the teaching of the Roman Church the priest, no matter how unworthy he may personally be, even if he has just made a pact with the devil for his soul, has the power to change the elements of bread and wine into the actual body and blood, soul and divinity, of Jesus Christ. Provided he pronounces the words of consecration properly and has the intention of consecrating, God must come down on the altar and enter and take over the elements." (p. 39)

http://carm.org/testimonies-ex-roman-catholic...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#553774 Aug 9, 2014
I suggest that the mentality of God needs to be assessed, as he had VERY unusual ways of "performing."

For instance ... he created Adam and Eve at a "time" when humans hadn't yet any religious philosophy, as Adam and Eve were the very first humans to pollute the earth. So it remains a mystery of who was peeking at the God when he made that fatal string of errors to in turn write the story down for future generations of human idiots to read.

And aside from that idiocy, once having created the miracle of Adam ... he didn't know how to go about creating a woman until he removed a rib from Adam in order to create Eve.

He knew everything, so he knew that Adam would ultimately have sex with Eve (his own rib)... however once God's plans were apparently "laid" it was too late to un-pregnate Eve and undo the harm that god had done.

So he blamed all his own mess on Adam and Eve and this is where we are today ... suffering because god was too stupid to keep his little perfected spirits in heaven with HIM.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Fri Eyes on Christ 10,638
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep 19 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep 11 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,839
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... Aug '17 Harold 2
News Pope Francis accepts resignation of Boston Auxi... Jul '17 Anti- 2
More from around the web