Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692017 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551794 Jul 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines wrote:
<quoted text>Not to worry. The U.S. is being overrun by more Catholics from the south. Soon, you shall have all the control over U.S policies. What cannot be changed via lawful means, you and your blind cohorts can change via the sword! Just remember this bit of wisdom: The spirit of the coming Antichrist will be a spirit of misguided rebellion. The Church of Rome shall glory in herself across the globe once again! Stay tuned...
...33% of all catholics in america are Latinos. Projections by 2030 predict upwards of 50% of Americans will be Latinos. Where have the western culture Americans gone?

...something is wrong!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551795 Jul 28, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to lie about ANYTHING , when it relates to over 2000 years of the historical and biblical TRUTH of the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ when HE gave us HIS OneTrue Universal (Catholic) Church in Matthew 16:13-21.......You are just another one of the rebellious and defiant Prodigal Son Protestants who refuse to accept the (verifiable and proven) TRUTH of the bible, TRUE Church History, and Our Lords One TRUE Church----that Paul confirms and re-affirms in zI Timothy 3:15 --when he calls THE CHURCH ---- not the bible alone--- is the Pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH.........The TRUTH is "clear"------you just "reject it---in your defiance and rebelliousness-!......
...Devout Catholics today are like honey bees and monarch butterflys. They are disappearing very quickly.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551796 Jul 28, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to lie about ANYTHING , when it relates to over 2000 years of the historical and biblical TRUTH of the TRUE Gospel of Jesus Christ when HE gave us HIS OneTrue Universal (Catholic) Church in Matthew 16:13-21.......You are just another one of the rebellious and defiant Prodigal Son Protestants who refuse to accept the (verifiable and proven) TRUTH of the bible, TRUE Church History, and Our Lords One TRUE Church----that Paul confirms and re-affirms in zI Timothy 3:15 --when he calls THE CHURCH ---- not the bible alone--- is the Pillar, pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH.........The TRUTH is "clear"------you just "reject it---in your defiance and rebelliousness-!......
...You need a new script writer.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551797 Jul 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines wrote:
<quoted text>Is it:
39,000+?
41,000+?
42,000+?
I get conflicting info from you and other Catholics.
....42,201 that includes catholics.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#551798 Jul 28, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>YOU ARE a LIAR.
Plain and Simple.
You called me a liar when I said that that every word in the Bible applies, is binding, has application, to every human from the beginning of time to eternity....are you also calling Christ a liar?????

Jesus he say: But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Man: The human race; mankind
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#551799 Jul 28, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
It's hard to find many Bible scholars who'd agree with you. I hope u can research this more. Because if you really want me to be a "Bible only Sola Scripturist", then I gotta reject your misstatements above.
Jesus didnt speak Greek, He spoke Aramaic. When the Book of Mathew was being translated into koine Greek, there was a problem with the translation to a masculane name for "rock". In short, if the name of Peter was supposed to mean "small stone" then the Greek word would be "lithos"
Here's more:
www.catholic.com/tracts/peter-the-rock
Put it this way..... not even certain pastors who are geniuses on here can dodge their way around this one.
How would you know what Bible scholars would agree on? Give one, who isn't Catholic. I could cite many, but you wouldn't believe them. You can reject anything you want, the scriptures say what they say. Be honest, you reject reading them.

Jesus didn't write the scriptures. They were originally written in Koine Greek. The word lithos has a totally different meaning than Petros or petra.

.Strong's Concordance
http://biblehub.com/greek/3037.htm

lithos: a stone
Original Word: &#955;&#943;&#952; &#959;&#962;, &#959;&#965;, &#8001;
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: lithos
Phonetic Spelling:(lee'-thos)
Short Definition: a stone
Definition: a stone; met: of Jesus as the chief stone in a building.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
a prim. word
Definition
a stone
NASB Translation
another (4), millstone*(1), stone (38), stone's (1), stones (15).
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551800 Jul 28, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent article ..
He makes good points.
What I'm struck by is the excommunication spoken of ,' very brave of Francis.. when I asked you all why the Pope of that time did Not at the very least excommunicated the monarchs .no one had an answer ..that would have stopped the inquisition...IMO ..even the threat .
Thus,I also agree with his premise on the Reformation . It did wrought changes in the RCC.
As well as the scope of spreading Gods message .
one has to wonder, if this man was,pope in the time of Luther , how h history might have been different ...
....Pope Francis seems to be a good guy. The article writer compared him with former pope Benedict, the one who wore the red slippers, that the writer mentioned in his article.
...millions of Catholics didn't walk away from the church (reformation) based on the personality of the pope, it was much deeper than that.
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#551801 Jul 28, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bible Only " fundies" like you are "so out of touch" with the reality of the TRUTH of the TRUE Word of God, the TRUE interpretation of the bible by the Early Church Fathers (who WROTE it in 397AD and the TRUTH of TRUE Church History .........The Church came first !!!---Then the bible over 350 years later in 382.393.and397AD ...There was no bible as we know it today until late in the 17th century. Guetenberg didn't even invent the printing press until 1440----so what about the first 1500 years of the Church ( Jesus Christ's One True Universl (Catholic) a church when their was no Bible -------millions and millions and millions of Catholic Christians were undoubtably "saved" WITHOUT a bible WITHOUT quoting (or for you fundies------misquoting) Bible verses)--and WITHOUT ( as you Protestants do--beat each other over the head with misinterpreted bible verses)....God NEVER was one EVER will be the author of your bible only confusion, chaos and contradicting "hodge podge " of inconsistent 42,200+denominations .
Yeah, nobody could understand the Gospel for 350 years. Dolt.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#551802 Jul 28, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Next time you talk to Paul....straighten him out!!!!
Typical of you to argue that the Word of God is fallible...
FYI...Every word in the Bible applies, is binding, has application, to every human from the beginning of time to eternity....
~~~
If you believe what you have posted...

then take the time to apply it to yourself..
USA Born

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#551803 Jul 28, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your church history started with the legends of Irenaeus who wasn't even alive when the apostles were (130 -202 CE). Even the writings Irenaeus attributed to Linus were found to be fake.

If your fathers didn't have the interpretation of the Bible until at least 300 years after the Apostles wrote them, then your father Irenaeus was a liar.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#551804 Jul 28, 2014
Chess wrote:
The Strange Case of a Possible First Century Fragment of Mark
On his website, Daniel B. Wallace, an apologetic professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, mentions his announcement in February 2012 that a *probable* first century fragment of Mark has been recovered from antiquity.
His post is dated March of that year and claims a book would be published in 2013.
http://danielbwallace.com/2012/03/22/first-ce...
Guess what? We've entered the last half of 2014 and no book yet. A delay of the book's publication could suggest problems with the find. Or not.
So I went looking for info.
What I found both bothered me but also suggests Wallace's claim *may* have merit.
But first a short background. Very early fragments of Christian texts are rather rare, and none of them date earlier than the 2nd century, with the earliest being a fragment of John from the first half of that century. So a 1st century fragment of Mark would be a significant find. In addition, the six fragments of other Christian texts Wallace mentions at the above link, suggesting a 2nd century date for them, also would be significant, but not nearly so much so as a 1st century fragment of Mark.
Now enter Hobby Lobby, the closely-held corporation that successfully challenged application of part of "ObamaCare" to it because of the owners' Christian beliefs.
The family that owns Hobby Lobby has put together a massive collection of ancient or otherwise rare biblical texts, and, according to the NYT, they have been on a recent buying spree to expand that collection:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/12/business/12...
And it appears they are behind the recent discoveries Wallace mentioned -- and thousands of other fragments.
Thousands?
Yup.
How so?
Mining mummy masks.
Mining mummy masks, you ask?
Would I lie to you?
It appears these folks are taking mummy masks that are the rough equivalent of paper-mâché, dunking them in Palmolive and water, and then shredding them to retrieve the texts that were used to create them.
I think it's great if a 1st century copy of Mark has been recovered from antiquity. Critical scholars date Mark to the late 1st century, and such a find would be consistent with that.
But I question the process.
I also question the credentials of some involved and whether what they are doing is legal.
I won't go into details about that here.
Why on earth would they SHRED them after prying them.apart ..sounds,like,nonsense,.
On your part, sorry

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#551805 Jul 28, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
....Pope Francis seems to be a good guy. The article writer compared him with former pope Benedict, the one who wore the red slippers, that the writer mentioned in his article.
...millions of Catholics didn't walk away from the church (reformation) based on the personality of the pope, it was much deeper than that.
That wasn't my point ...at all.

If the,POPES in those,days,were as Francis,seems,to be .probably no Inquisition..or folks,selling indulgences,.there might not have been a,breaking away..Luther was Catholic..there might have been dialog .

Who knows,...but those,monarchs,should have been excommunicated ..the harm.done to the,RCC reputation by the whole thing ...horrendous ...and thus,the harm to Christianity...which led to later on protestations .

Was,just an idea.

Anyway I liked the article ...

United States

#551806 Jul 28, 2014
Liam wrote:
How come you guys reject what is clearly written in Scripture?
"You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church" Mathew 16:18
"Take this and eat of it, for this is my body" Mathew 26:26
"For there are many other things Jesus did as well, I suppose if every one was written down, not even the whole of the world would hold the books that would be written" John 21:25
"Therefore brethren, hold steadfast to the traditions taught to you, either by word of mouth and letter" thess 2:15
"For I received from the Lord what i also deliver to you; that the Lord Jesus on the night He was betrayed took bred and given thanks, blessed it and said THIS IS my Body....
Whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup in an unworthy manner, IS GUILTY of profaning the BODY AND BLOOD OF THE LORD"
"This is my blood of the New Testament, which is poured out for many" Mark 14:24
*** what does Jesus say is the New Testament?
-
-
Liam - you quote this scripture, ad nauseam, as if it gives Popes license to what ever the hell they want.: "For there are many other things Jesus did as well, I suppose if every one was written down, not even the whole of the world would hold the books that would be written" John 21:25
-
So? Did Jesus torture and murder heretics and that is why popes for 800 year and (what?) 74 Popes did so?
-
By your criteria *anything goes*!

United States

#551807 Jul 28, 2014
*for 800 years

Location hidden

#551808 Jul 28, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
If you believe what you have posted...
then take the time to apply it to yourself..
There are no "ifs" in my beliefs....as in the life of every born again son of God....evidently this is not known to you.....

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#551809 Jul 28, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
HoJo, THE CATHOLIC CHURCH CAN NOT POSSIBLEY BE THE TRUE CHURCH OF CHURCH. JUST AS A WIFE AND HUSBAND CAN NOT BE UNEVENLY YOKED .
NEITHER CAN A DENOMINATION THAT DOESN'T BELIEVE THE WHOLE BIBLE, OR TEACH CONTRARY TO THE BIBLE TEACHINGS OF JESUS CHRIST.
YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, IN FACT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH'S LEADERS CHANGED THEM.
YOU CAN NOT SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN A DIVINE CREATOR, AND THAT OF IDOL CRAVED FROM WOOD , PLACED ON A CROSS AND CALLING IT JESUS.
IT IS A FALSE IMAGE, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT CHRIST LOOKS LIKE.
NOT ONLY THAT THE POPE WALKS AROUND WITH A STAFF, WITH THE IMAGE OF A CORPSE ON IT , A DECAYED CORPSE AT THAT AND SAYS IT REPRESENTS JESUS.
NO IT DOESN'T;; BECAUSE JESUS NEVER WAS A DECAYED CORPSE.
PSALM 16:10 ACT 2:27 . IT TOO IS AN IDOL.
RELIGION'S IS NOT GODS IDEA HOJO, SALVATION IS GOD'S IDEA.
IF ANY OF US WANT TO BE SAVED, WE MUST LET GO OF OUR RELIGIOUS IDEA'S.
THE RITUALS AND BELIEFS THAT SOME OF US FOLLOW ARE ABOMINATION TO GOD . BECAUSE SOME OF THESE RITUALS WERE AND STILL ARE BEING USED IN PAGAN RELIGIONS.
SORRY HOJO, YOU LEFT ONE DEAD END RELIGION FOR ANOTHER , AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T LEARNED ANYTHING .
YOU ARE NOT BORN AGAIN, HOW DO I KNOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T PREACH JESUS YOU PREACH CATHOLIC CHURCH. AND WHAT IT TEACHES , AND NOT WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS. INSTEAD YOU FAULT ANYONE WHO DOES BELIEVE THE WORD OF GOD THAT IS WRITTEN IN THE BOOKS OF THE BIBLE.
NO SPIRIT FILLED BELIEVER WOULD DO THAT IT IS CONTRARY TO THE TEACHES OF CHRIST.
YOU ARE STILL LOST HOJO, JESUS IS THE DOOR, TO ETERNAL LIFE YOU HAVE TO GGO THROUGH HIM TO GET TO HEAVEN.
NOT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WHO PREACHES MARY , BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS DON'T HAVE A QUEEN, WE HAVE A KING, HE IS LORD OF LORDS AND KING OF KINGS HIS NAME IS IMMANUEL, PRINCE OF PEACE , WONDERFUL COUNCILLOR .
One MEDIATOR...JESUS,CHRIST . AMEN Elaine

United States

#551810 Jul 28, 2014
hojo wrote:
-
-
USA Born wrote:
Your church history started with the legends of Irenaeus who wasn't even alive when the apostles were (130 -202 CE). Even the writings Irenaeus attributed to Linus were found to be fake.
If your fathers didn't have the interpretation of the Bible until at least 300 years after the Apostles wrote them, then your father Irenaeus was a liar.
-
-
USA Born: "If your fathers didn't have the interpretation of the Bible until at least 300 years after the Apostles wrote them, then your father Irenaeus was a liar."
-
EXACTLY!
-
-
hojo: "... 2000 years of the historical and biblical TRUTH..."
-
The HISTORICAL *TRUTH* of the RCC ... is very well documented in the history books.
War.
Torture.
Murder.
Madness & mayhem.
Theft.
Pdeophilia.
-
NONE of which resembles Christianity .... but examine what the Pagans did - and you are RIGHT ON THE MARK, hojo! Which is why, I suspect, you are terrified of the Bible!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#551811 Jul 28, 2014
LTM wrote:
Did Jesus Descend into Hell?
Randy Alcorn
HomeDeath & ResurrectionThe CrucifixionDid Jesus Descend into Hell?
We know from Jesus’ statement to the thief that when one dies they enter the presence of God immediately. Luke 23:42 states,“Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.” This statement also tells us that Jesus went to His Father upon death.
Beyond this we know very little about where Jesus was for three days. One must be careful not to read too much detail into a parable or story....
The passage of Scripture most referred to by those holding to the hell theory is 1 Peter 3:18-20.“For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.” The words they point to are “in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison.” Supposedly, Jesus descended to hell and preached to lost souls. But why? Nowhere in the Bible is there any statement that a lost soul who has died can have a second chance. Did Jesus go to hell just to torment the lost souls more? There is a more reasonable interpretation of this passage.
Jesus was put to death in the flesh, but was made alive by the Spirit. The word “made alive” is passive, meaning that someone other than Jesus made Him alive. Either Jesus was made alive by the Spirit, or in His spirit. Either way the Spirit must have been involved. Then the passage continues by telling us who these souls in prison are, they are those who did not listen to Noah (who was preaching repentance in the Spirit’s power to the world at the direction of God). Thus, the same Spirit who raised Jesus as a testimony “in order that He might bring us to God” also had spoken in Noah’s day to those souls now in prison; and they are in prison because they did not listen at the time of the preaching. In fact, only eight people listened and were saved—”brought safely through the water.” The idea of “prison” is figurative. The Bible does indicate that lost souls are removed and restrained in Luke 16:26:“And besides all this, between us and you there is a great chasm fixed, in order that those who wish to come over from here to you may not be able, and that none may cross over from there to us.”
Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Jesus went to hell during the three days. Actually, very little is said about what went on. The normal assumption is that Jesus’ fleshly body remained in the tomb, just as ours will remain in the grave. He went to the presence of the Father, and three days later the Spirit resurrected His body (in the same way that our bodies will be resurrected—the first-born from the dead in Colossians 1:18). The difference is that God did not allow Jesus’ body to decay....
I always assumed as do other writers, He descended to Abrahams bosom or OLAM.HABA...nit resolutely but NOT HEAVEN and freed the souls,there to heaven..those who looked FORWARD to Messiah ..

as for the thief..Thinking on the statement .....Jesus told Mary He had Not yet gone to the Father, but I BELIEVE the thief went either to heaven that day (the Father and Son and Spirit are,ONE GOD) or he went to Abrahams bosom and met Jesus when He freed the souls,of the Just .

Either way He opened heaven .....for believers .

I loved Randys book series DEADLINE and his other books..
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#551812 Jul 28, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't my point ...at all.
If the,POPES in those,days,were as Francis,seems,to be .probably no Inquisition..or folks,selling indulgences,.there might not have been a,breaking away..Luther was Catholic..there might have been dialog .
Who knows,...but those,monarchs,should have been excommunicated ..the harm.done to the,RCC reputation by the whole thing ...horrendous ...and thus,the harm to Christianity...which led to later on protestations .
Was,just an idea.
Anyway I liked the article ...
....selling indulgences wasn't the only reason millions! Of catholics left the church.

.....The gist of the story was comparing Francis to previous popes who were often out of the loop of communicating with ordinary people. Francis came from a working class background.

....people might give pope Francis a thumbs up for being a nice guy, but the inner workings of the church remain the same.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#551813 Jul 28, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no "ifs" in my beliefs....as in the life of every born again son of God....evidently this is not known to you.....
~~~
You have attempted to judge me from the get go...and you know nothing about me nor do you know any thing about THE MINISTRY THAT GOD HAS CALLED ME TO...and you have the audacity to insult my wife of 62 years....We together have over a hundred and twenty years,
of Bible study..

Question...What would that amount of time amount to in credits in any Christian college

You act like a NOVICE in your treatment of a Bishop of 63 years experience in Christian ministry and pastoral experience...as if you were his tutor and teacher..

If you would avail yourself to it and learn......The Bible says

1Ti 5:1 Rebuke not an elder, but intreat him as a father; and the younger men as brethren;

1Ti 5:2 The elder women as mothers; the younger as sisters, with all purity.

Novice
NOV'ICE, n.[L. from new.]

1. One who is new in any business; one unacquainted or unskilled; one in the rudiments; a beginner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Tue Frindly 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web