Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 650036 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#551128 Jul 23, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been over this,'tard.
They lawyer in the cited case made no such claim yet was disciplined for plagiarism:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DzP9O2hmo...
'Tard.
I know we have been over this again and again...I keep hoping that some day you will see the truth..

I got this info from you!!!! It clearly spells out a particular requirement for there to be something plagiarized...."pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own". Never did...not guilty..

This example clarifies the truth in the info you provided!!!!
If I said "Here are my words" and then posted info from an article on the net...I would be guilty as charged...and it would be easy to prove...by you simply using your search engine...

That never happened and never will..

For a theft to have occurred you have to prove the property was taken with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession..that never happened!!!!! The websites still have their info!!!!!

Not guilty...

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#551129 Jul 23, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
All deities are imagined beings. Sure, you really really believe in yours - just like every believer in every religion. Your religions are mutually exclusive. You and they both cannot be right. So you're stuck with these two choices:
- either only one religion is true and all other religions false
- or all religions are false
Given that humans evolved from animals, that not all human groups have religious systems (some don't believe in afterlives, some not in anything "supernatural"), that many religious systems are mutually exclusive, that all religions have equal evidence to their claims - that is to say, none whatsoever - that none of us have access to objective reality and that all people experience subjective realities, that "how to interact with and understand the world around us" differs culturally and throughout history, it's most likely all religions are false and no deities exist.
You are welcome to believe that your religion is, against all odds, the "one true religion," but nothing could be more arrogant, presumptuous, ethnocentric, conceited, unempathetic and infantile. Where did you get this special knowledge?
Not from spirituality - other religions have spiritual experiences and atheists can, too.
Not from miracles - other religions have miracles.
Not from prophecy - other religions have prophecy and fulfilled prophecy.
So your certainty that you are correct exists simply because of your enculturation into your religion and production and reproduction of your lived subjective reality.
Hindingfromyou

All of this would be true unless God transcends human imagination.(As well as other spiritual beings). So for merely a belief in a deity, as you say this would be true.

Remember there is a difference between faith and belief, as I described before.

It is not that I say that I am right or correct in my beliefs,(which change with experience), rather it is faith which is unchanged, that makes difficult for you to prove your case of presumption. Since presumptions are at times not built on observable phenomena, such as faith, hope and love.
Michael

Canada

#551130 Jul 23, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
If they don't follow Catholic doctrines, then they are not Catholics. Period.
They are protestants and might as well find the nearest exit and head down the street for a church where they can feel nice and comfy in.
The CC is never going to just pull up Her anchor and "go with the flow" just because some "polls" indicate that "most" "Catholics" don't believe in Catholic doctrines!
Why are people still standing around expecting that to happen?
....what's the point in having rules/regulations/canon laws if there is no deterrent to those belonging to the church who break them? The catholic church says divorce is wrong and you cannot dissolve the sacrament of marriage (sounds serious!) yet all are welcome and no penalty is applied.

.....Most catholics practice forms of birth control, the church screams Wrong!, Sinful! but step right up and come to our church your more than welcome.

.....The church makes all these rules/moral judgments but hey! We love ya just the same......see you on Sunday!

....If the church wants to get serious about who's in and who isn't, start kicking people out, then you might have a church for those who actually are serious about following the rules and what the church stands for.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#551131 Jul 23, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It comes down to believeing the scriptures or believing the CC.
Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
Galatians 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:
Can you show me how the scriptures and the teachings of the CC are in agreement here? It clearly says Paul took the Gospel to the gentiles.
Which Catholic teachings are you talking about?
What do these verses mean to you? How do you imagine Catholic teachings being contrary to them?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#551132 Jul 23, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
"Does the word Demiurge mean anything to your Gnosticized mentality?"
It does - it is a term used by the Gnostics that explains that the Jewish God was an image of the "true god" - whereas the "true God" is "unknown" and "unnamed" in regards to what men can see and describe.
Idiot!!!

If the supposed true god is unknowable ... then humans can't possibly know whether or not it even exists.

The monotheistic god of the Jews was created in Jewish imagination long before the gods of the Christian Gnostics were created in Christian Gnostic imagination.

Just because you have an over-active imagination in which you invest FAITH, doesn't mean that I should depend on your imagination to feed me what you are certain is universal truth.

That's WAY TOO MUCH to expect of others.

Prince George, Canada

#551133 Jul 23, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
What was meant by "only true church" was that the Catholic Church is the one which was established by Jesus.
It was established by men who wrote the Jesus MYTH.

I suggest you should stop fantasizing that a Jew is smitten with YOU.

Prince George, Canada

#551134 Jul 23, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<Hell is no more used as a scare tactic for children as it is for adults or the number of Christians would have dropped drastically as they became adults..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =srHHUs2uRnIXX
So if you don't believe in hell, evil or a devil ... why are you quoting scriptures from a Christian bible that does promote the concept of a hell, evil and a devil that in turn frightens believers into submission???

If religion just promoted the idea that a god exists who will welcome all human-souls to states of eternal bliss ... you ... nor anyone else would preach warnings of ILL-BODING AT others ... as you would all be perceived as being equal in worth TO the creator.

That proves you are frightened that if you leave religion ... YOU will be CURSED with eternal torment.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#551135 Jul 23, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it make a difference on either?

Both were written by men. So in essence - you are believing men and what they say to believe.

Please post where "God" specifically states which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not.

Please be specific.

FYI - 2 Tim 3:16 is not by "God", n or by "Paul", so that text is not a valid source. Besides, if you were to use this passage as a source - it says "ALL SCRIPTURES" - so that would mean that you will have to determine which so-called "scriptures" are from "God" and which are not, unless all texts - canonical as well as non-canonical, are included.

Men dictated only what they have decided upon and not what "God" decided, so using 2 Tim would be good, because it is not "by God".

Albuquerque, NM

#551136 Jul 23, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Galatians 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
Galatians 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:
Can you show me how the scriptures and the teachings of the CC are in agreement here? It clearly says Paul took the Gospel to the gentiles.
Do you think "Paul" was more enlightened than Jesus? If you don't, then why don't you quote Jesus and what he states concerning the passages by "Paul" that you have used above.

HINT: "Paul" promoted his own gospel.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#551137 Jul 23, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
....what's the point in having rules/regulations/canon laws if there is no deterrent to those belonging to the church who break them? The catholic church says divorce is wrong and you cannot dissolve the sacrament of marriage (sounds serious!) yet all are welcome and no penalty is applied.
.....Most catholics practice forms of birth control, the church screams Wrong!, Sinful! but step right up and come to our church your more than welcome.
.....The church makes all these rules/moral judgments but hey! We love ya just the same......see you on Sunday!
....If the church wants to get serious about who's in and who isn't, start kicking people out, then you might have a church for those who actually are serious about following the rules and what the church stands for.
There is no outward deterrent such as a police force and no physical penalty such as jail time or fines.
Again, one cannot really be a Catholic if one does not agree to Catholic doctrine. It’s simple as that.
The Church does not kick people out. It does not police the members. It assumes that everyone belongs and assumes those who are there want to be there out of love of God and neighbor. And so assumes that they are following the commandments to the best of their ability.

Albuquerque, NM

#551138 Jul 23, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
...... observable phenomena, such as faith, hope and love.
How is "faith" - not the person - observable? If by actions of a person - then how? What does a person have to do, in order for another to observe "faith"?

"Hope" is a conscious thought pattern that is invoked when some one "thinks' with their mind. How is that observable? Does someone have to watch the person's eyes and nose for action?

"Love" is observable, but only when acts of this emotion are applied. "Love" itself is an intangible emotion that is more of a reactionary modal than observable.

Prince George, Canada

#551139 Jul 23, 2014
Imagination is a very handy TOOL ... but it should never be trusted as leading self to truth. It's simply a play-THINK.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Gnosticism

Introduction to Gnosticism for Beginners

Dualism

Dualism, roughly speaking, posits the existence of two creators. The first is a god of goodness and pure spirituality (often called the Godhead), while the second (often called the demiurge) is the creator of the physical world, which has trapped divine souls in mortal form.

http://altreligion.about.com/od/alternativere...

Prince George, Canada

#551140 Jul 23, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it make a difference on either?
Both were written by men.
Who do you TRUST wrote Gnostic Christian literature ... PIGS???
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551141 Jul 23, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's easy Scripture too. Explain your interpretations of it, and why yours is authoritative?
Paul was upset at the Universal Church in Corinth because they were still living with a worldly mentality. I'm not sure how your using it for anything else..
What makes yours authoritive? I don't want anyone to see me as having some authority over the scriptures. I don't know everything and would love a dicussion, not argument, about the scriptures. I don't believe that's possible on this forum.

I agree with some of what you posted. Here are more scriptures to hopefully, make it clearer.

1 Corinthians 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

Hebrews 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Like anything else we choose to learn about, we need the basics to understand the more in depth teachings. As babies we need milk, as we grow we can take meat. That's all I got.

Albuquerque, NM

#551142 Jul 23, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot!!!
We have arrived at the point where you now begin posts with name-calling.

Tsk-tsk......sounds like you can't be an adult.

How 'bout this - if you want to continue to use name-calling in your posts - disregard posting to me.

That is fair enough, huh?
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>If the supposed true god is unknowable ... then humans can't possibly know whether or not it even exists.
True - that is what the Gnostics had settled with.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>The monotheistic god of the Jews was created in Jewish imagination long before the gods of the Christian Gnostics were created in Christian Gnostic imagination.
Actually, IMO - the Jewish God was a creation by Jewish folks after they were part of the Diaspora. They needed a good story - so lo and behold - wha-la - the biblical texts were born.....and no surprise to me, it was all about how to get the Jews to be recognized in a chaotic world.

You can read about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_diaspora
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>Just because you have an over-active imagination in which you invest FAITH, doesn't mean that I should depend on your imagination to feed me what you are certain is universal truth.
\How do I invest "faith"? It sounds like you are reaching for something that you just can't seem to understand.

My belief has nothing to do with "faith" in the way you express it. Oh, I have faith alright - just not in any form of religion. I do have faith in the facts I've uncovered, that clearly shows that men wrote the Bible texts, men chose the Bible texts, men clearly didn't have any "God" instructing them, and men dictated what other men are to belief.!00% faith this is all true.

I also have faith in that Jesus, if he lived, was a man, and men do not come back from the dead, UNLESS, they weren't dead to begin with.

I have faith in that someday, people will be openly honest with others in many regards associated to religious beliefs.

I even have faith in you that one day, you will stop acting like a little child who had their toy taken away, and that you will grow up and begin to respect others for personal beliefs, instead of thinking that you have the answers they need. You don't.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>That's WAY TOO MUCH to expect of others.
I know - I expect so much of you, and you have yet to prove you can even give it to others.

Like another had asked of you - why did it take you 70 years to leave religion?
USA Born

Claremont, CA

#551143 Jul 23, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Which Catholic teachings are you talking about?
What do these verses mean to you? How do you imagine Catholic teachings being contrary to them?
First and foremost, the Pope declaring the CC as the only true church.

The Bible clearly says Paul took the gospel to the gentiles. Pauls also said that he does not build on another man's foundation. IMO, that would include the foundation the RCC claims Peter built.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki10...

The Apostolic Constitutions[10] says that Linus was the first bishop of Rome and was ordained by Paul, and that he was succeeded by Clement, who was ordained by Peter. Cletus is given as Linus's successor by Irenaeus and the others cited above who present Linus either as the first bishop of Rome or, if they give Peter as the first, as the second.

Why so much confusion about the lineage. This is only an example

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#551144 Jul 23, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
IF YOU ARE A TRUE ATHEIST ..YOU DO NOT BELIEVE IN LOVE...
1Jn_4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God;
for God is love.
1Jn_4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
Jas 3:13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
Jas 3:14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
YOUR WISDOM
Jas 3:15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
Jas 3:16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
Love. lack of love, wanting love, having love, ain't got nuthin' to do with being an atheist...

atheist : One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

BTW...Am still waiting for you to show where I ever said I was/is/am Christ..

Am still waiting willing to help you find Scripture that supports what I said...all you got to do is ask...and say why you are asking...

Albuquerque, NM

#551145 Jul 23, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you TRUST wrote Gnostic Christian literature ... PIGS???
Who do I trust?

Well....considering those individuals are dead and I am living thousands of years later, I guess I can't trust anyone.

Never said I have anyhow....but you sure like to imply and project this upon me.

I've stated - I utilize the writings of men to determine the facts surrounding biblical texts. These individuals include scholars and researchers......none that you would care to include in your "roladex"....but they are included in mine.

I also take into account how those writings were written and how they can be applied to the human mentality. Unlike you, I've chosen to research that which was written extensively enough to understand why they were written and for what purpose - to make men and women better people to themselves and others.

From reading your posts, you encourage others to have discourse with those who object to your thinking.

This line of thinking by you - won't give you solace - but will cause you to continue to be angry and feeble minded, as your posts indicate.

I'd suggest that if you wanted to leave religion completely, you would not be on this thread at all.
Michael

Canada

#551146 Jul 23, 2014
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no outward deterrent such as a police force and no physical penalty such as jail time or fines.
Again, one cannot really be a Catholic if one does not agree to Catholic doctrine. It’s simple as that.
The Church does not kick people out. It does not police the members. It assumes that everyone belongs and assumes those who are there want to be there out of love of God and neighbor. And so assumes that they are following the commandments to the best of their ability.
...If I wanted to belong to a well established club or association but made it clear I wasn't going to follow the rules that I didn't like, the club authority would make it clear that my membership would be revoked.

...The Catholic church has no structure in place of who or how many are divorced, who are not following other rules of church authority. Its a church in chaos. Its a free for-all.

Truth

Leesburg, VA

#551147 Jul 23, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
Believing the scriptures is.......

Believing in Jesus Christ who is the Word of God......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WND Anti-Vaxxer Promotion Update 16 hr friend 4
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' Sun make Donald Drump... 47
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 20 I Jus Wanna Live ... 10,173
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul 20 Crusader 4
News The 'Obamification' of Pope Francis (Sep '15) Jul 16 odG nDmdea yoHl r... 100
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... (Apr '15) Jul 14 Hasan Sasirmaz 32
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... Jul 9 South Knox Hombre 10
More from around the web