Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 599552 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#549955 Jul 17, 2014
tojo...

Catholic Americans favor major changes in the Church, but do not expect those changes to take place, according to a new Pew Research study.

The Pew survey found solid majorities of American Catholics in favor of ending the Church’s ban on contraceptives, allowing priests to marry, and ordaining women to the priesthood. Half of those surveyed said that the Church should recognize same-sex marriages. However, most of those surveyed said that they did not expect to see women ordained or same-sex marriages approved. A bare majority—51%-- reported that they did expect the Church to relax the rule of clerical celibacy—a change that would not conflict with any established Church doctrine.

The Pew study collected opinions from respondents who identified themselves as Catholics, without distinguishing between those who do and do not practice the faith on a regular basis.

The study did find that most Catholics feel Pope Francis has brought a major change in the Church, with about two-thirds seeing a positive trend, and just over one-fourth saying that they are more excited about their faith.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#549956 Jul 17, 2014
Here tojo..

Roughly three-quarters of U.S. Catholics (77%) say the church should allow birth control, while solid majorities also say the Vatican should permit priests to get married (72%) and female priests (68%). Half (50%) say the church should recognize same-sex marriages.

Considerably fewer Catholics actually expect to see such changes in the coming decades, although their expectations are growing when it comes to the issue of priests getting married. About half (51%) of U.S. Catholics say the church will definitely or probably allow priests to marry by 2050 – an increase from 39% saying this last year. Smaller shares expect the church to allow women to be priests (42%) or to recognize same-sex marriages (36%).

If ever, the SBC makes these changes, I am bailing out, because they teach against the Word of God...

allow women to be priests (SBC has Pastors)(42%) or to recognize same-sex marriages (36%).
USA Born

Upland, CA

#549957 Jul 17, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I don't mind a bit if anyone has an opinion different than mine. I only attack ignorance and ignorant people. I havent noticed that trait from you in the past.
God has a plan and He knows the outcome and how it all ends up.
we[mankind] may think that we are in control, but He laughs at our stupidty, as it is written, "his ways are higher than our ways."
strange things are happening on this earth that mankind cant answer, such as this gigantic hole that has opened up in Russia.
this is according to what is written in the Bible that we will see nature unleashed as never before, and men will run to and fro. seeking answers BUT not God.
just so YOU know, a few years ago, marge said that I was taught by the devil, this is about as close as a person can get by blasphemy of the Holy Ghost which is to claim that what the Holy Ghost has done in His Work, and give credit(such as it is) to the devil.
that Is why I stand against her, down deep in her soul, she is blacker than coal.
I agree with you. Some things are happening as explained in the Bible. I'm sure there is much more I'm unaware of.

I got a strange post from Marge. She said I should just take over then. I still have no clue what prompted that. I just let it go. I haven't been around long enough to know much of what she says. Time will tell but, thanks for the warning.

We know what the Bible says about anyone who speaks against the Holy Ghost. I try very hard not to mention the Holy Ghost on this forum because of that. I don't want to set anyone up. Not sure if that's the right way to look at it. Maybe it's a way to see someone's true colors. Anyway, I'll stay where I'm at until I know for sure.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#549958 Jul 17, 2014
jethro8 wrote:
well got to go people, have a good evening or whatever it is where you are, see you again soon. good night
Good night Jethro.

Prince George, Canada

#549959 Jul 17, 2014
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>you are saved from nothing. I will proudly proclaim Jesus Christ as my personal savior, I know you never fly anywhere because you are here all the time.
Because I don't believe their is a god or a savior that will reject supposed souls to hell, I have no fear of such idiocy.

Imagine the ignorance of referring to a SAVIOR as one that rejects souls to hell.

The theology is very silly.

A savior would make certain that not even one "soul" was ever lost ... because the savior would not give up on that last one soul.

He would say ... "You might give up on your self's worth, but I will never give up on YOU, as you are part of ME."
LTM

Mississauga, Canada

#549960 Jul 17, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest that yon't tell that to the Jews that stayed faithful to Judaism, as you will rubbing Christianized SALT in their wounds.
JUNE, YOU ARE ONE MIXED UP WOMAN. THERE ARE JEWS WHO BELIEVE IN JESUS, AND THERE ARE JEWS WHO HAVE REJECTED HIM.
JUST LIKE THERE ARE GENTILES , WHO BELIEVE AND WHO DON'T.
JESUS REJECTS NO ONE WHO COMES TO HIM.
TO RUB SALT INTO SOMEONES WOUNDS, WOULD MEAN I TAKE PLEASURE IN THEIR MECERY.
JESUS IS A JEW HE DIED A JEW, HE IS KING OF THE JEWS, THERE ARE SOME JEWS,
WHO HAVE REJECTED HIM, HE NEVER REJECTED THEM.
JESUS CAME TO THE JEWS FIRST, THEN ONTO THE GENTILES.
THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD, June.
THOSE WHO ARE BORN AGAIN , TRUE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST WOULD TURN AGAINST THE JEWISH NATION, IT WOULD BE TURNING AGAINST GOD.

GOD TOLD ABRAHAM, I WILL BLESS THOSE WHO BLESS YOU AND CURSE THOSE WHO CURSE YOU.
GENESIS 12:3
USA Born

Upland, CA

#549961 Jul 17, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't give your stupidity a rest ... do you Robert???
If the god created Adam and Eve and they procreated more and more sinners to suffer because of SIN ... then God is responsible for ALL the suffering.
So stop playing games with your own mentality.
It becomes ridiculous!
And you never did answer my question of why a god of decent character would create non-human animals to suffer when those animals had no way of even knowing the meaning of the word SIN.
I suggest you stop trying to make excuses to justify the idiocy of theology.
It does NOT become you!
ROTFLMAO. Your ignorance of scripture is ridiculous. Why pretend to know what the Bible says when it's obvious you don't.

The god you talk about sounds evil, disgusting, hateful, etc. It's a reflection of you, what your heart can conceive, not God.
LTM

Mississauga, Canada

#549962 Jul 17, 2014
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text> hi LT nice to see you again, things have changed in my life that kept me away from here, a few tumors popped up, had to have a tube stuck in my kidney to drain it because a tumor is blocking it, g/f left me because she couldn't handle it anymore, i had to quit my job because between working an chemo treatments, i was getting burnt out, so doctor told me it was time to either stop chemo or quit job, well i don't want to die yet I'll be 56 next month, so i reluctantly gave up my job. I try to stay busy around here, go for walks, am taking care of a Canadian goose i found a few months ago, was badly wounded so i brought him home healed him and now I'm stuck with him or her, i don't think it will fly away when it can. i'm hoping cause i live near a pond with a lot of ducks an geese so when i put him in the river in my back yard, he'll float down to them an stay there. OK so how have you been?
I WAS SO GLAD TO SEE YOU BACK ON HERE JETHRO, PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS, MY EYES GIVE ME PROBLEMS, GETTING TO BE AN OLD GIRL.
I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE DOING BETTER, GEESE MAKE WONDERFUL PETS. THERE NOT A DOG BUT HEY.
SO FAR THIS YEAR I HAVE PLAYED MOM TO, 7 CHIPMUCKS, A POOR KITTY THAT WAS JUST SKIN AND BONE, WITH A BROKEN LEG, AND NOW I AM TRYING TO GET MY HANDS ON ANOTHER ONE , WHOSE OWNER PASSED AWAY AND SOMEONE JUST TURNED THE CAT LOOSE.
I HAVE BEEN LEAVING FOOD AND WATER OUT FOR HIM, SO HE IS EATING, BUT NOW I HAVE ATTRACTED A RACCOON, ITS ONLY A BABY.
I AM CALLING THE SPCA, FOR SOME WAY TO CATCH IT, IT WILL NOT SURVIVE ON ITS OWN.
THE FAMILY IS DOING MUCH BETTER, MY SON HAS GONE BACK TO OTTAWA, WITH HIS WIFE AND SON.
MY DAUGHTER IS GETTING SOME SERIOUS HELP, AND DOING MUCH BETTER.
MY HUSBAND IS DOING WONDERFUL , HEALTHY AND FREE OF A LOT OF PAIN.
I MISS TALKING WITH YOU JETHRO, I WAS OFF HERE FOR AWHILE MY EYES WERE REALLY GIVING ME TROUBLE.
THE FUNNY THING, IS I HAVE TO PUT MY FONTS UP HIGH, BUT HAD TO TAKE MY GLASSES OFF, BECAUSE IT WAS BLURRY, ONE DAY I PUT MY HUSBANDS READING GLASSES ON AND CAN SEE THE COMPUTER , BUT HAVE TO KEEP THE CAPS ON LOL.
i AM GLAD YOUR BACK, I AM STILL PRAYING FOR YOU JETHRO, AND THINK OF YOU OFTEN, AND YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO DIE .

YOUR KIDNEYS OK NOW OR DO YOU HAVE TO GO BACK FOR MORE chemo.

MY HUSBANDS SISTER IS STILL GOING THROUGH CHEMO OR JUST FINISHED I AM NOT SURE, SHE SUPPOSE TO BE COMING UP SOON, SO I AM ASSUMING SHE IS FINISHED.
NO WONDER YOU ARE BURNT OUT TRYING TO WORK TAKING CHEMO, CAN'T BE EASY.
I AM SORRY ABOUT YOUR G/F JETHRO, SOME PEOPLE CAN'T HANDLE SEEING PEOPLE THEY CARE ABOUT SO ILL.
TAKE CARE JETHRO.:)
LTM

Mississauga, Canada

#549963 Jul 17, 2014
Bible Verse of the Day

16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Proverbs 6:16-19 (KJV)

This Evening's Meditation

C. H. Spurgeon

"Let not one of them escape."—1 Kings 18:40.

HEN the prophet Elijah had received the answer to his prayer, and the fire from heaven had consumed the sacrifice in the presence of all the people, he called upon the assembled Israelites to take the priests of Baal, and sternly cried, "Let not one of them escape." He took them all down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there. So must it be with our sins—they are all doomed, not one must be preserved. Our darling sin must die. Spare it not for its much crying. Strike, though it be as dear as an Isaac. Strike, for God struck at sin when it was laid upon His own Son. With stern unflinching purpose must you condemn to death that sin which was once the idol of your heart. Do you ask how you are to accomplish this? Jesus will be your power. You have grace to overcome sin given you in the covenant of grace; you have strength to win the victory in the crusade against inward lusts, because Christ Jesus has promised to be with you even unto the end. If you would triumph over darkness, set yourself in the presence of the Sun of Righteousness. There is no place so well adapted for the discovery of sin, and recovery from its power and guilt, as the immediate presence of God. Job never knew how to get rid of sin half so well as he did when his eye of faith rested upon God, and then he abhorred himself, and repented in dust and ashes. The fine gold of the Christian is oft becoming dim. We need the sacred fire to consume the dross. Let us fly to our God, He is a consuming fire; He will not consume our spirit, but our sins. Let the goodness of God excite us to a sacred jealousy, and to a holy revenge against those iniquities which are hateful in His sight. Go forth to battle with Amalek in His strength, and utterly destroy the accursed crew: let not one of them escape.

Prince George, Canada

#549964 Jul 17, 2014
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
THERE ARE JEWS WHO BELIEVE IN JESUS,
The Jews that believe that Jesus is their savior are Christians.

The ones that stayed faithful to Judaism believe that Jesus was a fake messiah.

The Rule of Christian theology IS ... if you are not Christian, Jesus will reject you to hell.

Prince George, Canada

#549965 Jul 17, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO. Your ignorance of scripture is ridiculous.
Thank you. I learned that ignorance from the Christian theologians.

:)

Prince George, Canada

#549966 Jul 17, 2014
Christians defame the name of their supposed savior by stating for a fact that Jesus won't have any part of those in other religions.

That is not a nice way to talk about the one you claim taught universal love.

Prince George, Canada

#549967 Jul 17, 2014
LTM wrote:
Bible Verse of the Day
16These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
Proverbs 6:16-19 (KJV)
Christians are "famous" for all of these things that Jesus hates.

Prince George, Canada

#549968 Jul 17, 2014
I suggest that we should start a religion based on universal hate ... and then we can all feel right at home.

I dare a savior to come to earth and threaten us with punishment! He/she will have met his/her match!

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#549969 Jul 17, 2014
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text> I do not take Jesus/god/catholic religion as truth since there is no truth to support all three. there just man made fictional characters and a religion.
You win.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549970 Jul 17, 2014
"<quoted text>
All believers "know" their religions to be "true." You're no different than any other believer of any other religion in the world."
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
You're no different than any other atheist. What difference does it make?
Wow. Great rebuttal. You're just so full of logic.

Let's see if I can pierce that...

1. I'm no different
2. What differences does that make?

Uh...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549971 Jul 17, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What you wrote is correct. I want to free others from having any dependency on religious literature ... as I was finally able to free my self.
It was not fear however that kept me in religion for so many years. It was confusion of not knowing how to untangle all of the entangled thoughts that had been planted, and had grown in my mind from childhood.
While cleaning house, I booted many words associated with religion out of my vocabulary as being of no more beneficial use to me.
The first word of course being "religion" itself. Others are words such as perfection, holy, evil, sinister, spirit, soul, enlightened, wise, saved, lost, utopia, heaven, hell, knowledge, saint, devils, gods, reincarnation, et cetera.
Of course being that I must use language to post what I write, I must bring these words into my posts ... but it is now for a different reason ... as I don't have any more trust in the meanings of those words whatsoever.
From my perception words used and bragged of as being universal truth by theologians ought to be thrown in the archaic bin of trouble-making JUNK!
Well said. And good work here.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549972 Jul 17, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
...Can your snake talk?(lol)
hahaha!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549973 Jul 17, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Hidingfromyou
1. I am saying that a person or culture that is not based in reason and faith will be shortlived, for one without the other will at best make infertile the humanity within it.
No need for "faith" in cultures for them to exist, but all humans are capable of reason.

That you believe all cultures need faith is a testimony to how steeped you are in your own culture. Please look up the phrase "naive realism."
2. As a general rule, I have found that atheists deny faith exists. Sorry if that has infringed upon your understanding, or acceptable way of "debating".
Oh, no, I absolutely believe you when you tell me you have faith and that it's a guiding principle of your life. No doubt in my mind.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549974 Jul 17, 2014
"Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
All believers "know" they alone are in the "one, true religion" that really just gets it."
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Hidingfromyou
If this were true, then one would not be able to go from one set of beliefs to another, and "believe" them.
Look up "enculturation."
In the case on this thread, most have moved from let us say, Catholic to Protestant. But also larger moves from Christian to Islam, or Buddhism.
With your construct these are like linear points, but rather it may be the awakening to knowledge, again a priori and a posteriori, which brings religious knowledge to fruition in wisdom.(It is not necessarily so.)
Look up "enculturation."
Is it a rather reductionist point you take with a human being, being merely the sum of its parts?
My claim that people's worldview shapes their subjective reality is not reductionism. It's actually the opposite, but that's requires a bit of a complex explanation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 41 min Paul Porter1 255
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 1 hr dollarsbill 84,299
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Gee Tee 9,601
News Hispanics energized by Argentinian pope's first... Jul 27 tomin cali 1
News Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Jul 26 pazuzu 91
News Pope previews long-awaited climate letter Jul 25 pazuzu 14
News Poll: US views of Francis dim; a plunge in appr... Jul 24 Bug Spray 20
More from around the web