Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#549104 Jul 14, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that. I'm not sure it's true, to be honest. While I can imagine infanticide, I can't imagine it for the sake of food sharing. So I looked it up and found this review of Bates' writing at the Smithsonian:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/review-...
So it's a story of historical fiction. The final sentence in the book review reads:
"Daisy says it better. "I never failed them, no, not for one hour of my time with them.... I always wanted the whole of my life with them." Truths, half-truths and fabulous lies — it's a life worth reading about."
I don't have time right now to get into it, but Geertz offers a wonderful critique to cultural relativism - and Paul Farmer builds on that, arguing that cultural relativism obscures societal hierarchies, power and poverty.
Even when I was under the spell of religion, I thought that the theologians were writing fiction.

Now, I am suspicious that the anthropologists were all flavoring their stories concerning those in other cultures in order to make their words appear as highly entertaining to the readers.

I've come to conclude that if we are at all aware of the trickery, we really shouldn't believe much of anything we read ... as humans are greedy for attention and will fabricate the most ridiculous tales in order to bring attention to the self.

Prince George, Canada

#549105 Jul 14, 2014
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Chess doesn't follow the instruction of dishonest fools.
Just as do all of us, you prefer to believe you are wise. That must mean that you have followed the instruction of a dishonest fool ... your self.

:)
Godspeakinginmyd reamslol

Aystetten, Germany

#549106 Jul 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Godspeakingmydreamslol
Peace
In Germany, I suspect you need to listen a little less concerning propaganda coming your way, and think for yourself....(I still have a couple of friends from high school, who were sons of an SS officer, but are severely disturbed, though very intelligent.)
European history is more a war of barbarians listening to their own propaganda....And Europe brought it over here to the U.S....What a shame.
Peace
What the hell are you talking about what propaganda? I donīt watch TV. I speak english better than most natives and I was not born in germany. Every sociaty has been violent and barbaric.

But yes I bet the indian tribes would have preferred if the European never came. I bet people like you would have welcomed their religion with open arms just as the USA is so very tolerant of other religion. Just turn on the TV and watch your local program there are enough severely disturbed people. Especially the republican Party and the NRA weapons propaganda machine and FOX news.

But yes we europeans love Jon Steward and the Colbert Report, we are such barbarians with our super huge military budget, because we are always looking for trouble.(sarcasm for the last part, some people donīt get it I sadly experienced...)

Aystetten, Germany

#549107 Jul 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Even when I was under the spell of religion, I thought that the theologians were writing fiction.
Now, I am suspicious that the anthropologists were all flavoring their stories concerning those in other cultures in order to make their words appear as highly entertaining to the readers.
I've come to conclude that if we are at all aware of the trickery, we really shouldn't believe much of anything we read ... as humans are greedy for attention and will fabricate the most ridiculous tales in order to bring attention to the self.
Or you know, you could think critically about what you read. I know itīs not as easy as being completely ignorant, but being ignorant has long term consequences. You only have to trust the scientific method and logic. It getīs really easy after a while, people should try it more.

Aystetten, Germany

#549108 Jul 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Hidingfromyou
I note your suggestion, but disagree.
Faith exists as an abstract of knowledge(although it is often used a gestalt).
Beliefs are culturally learned, and are generally sensed(intellectually) wrt reality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history... always happy to educate an ignorant American mind with his own sources. Peace.

BTW all of you have been European Barbarians at one point. But you know, times have changed over here. Try watching something else than FOX news some time.

Prince George, Canada

#549109 Jul 14, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I've given it a bit of thought since finding out it's historical fiction - and, I think it's likely that, because it was written during a time of racism and not so long after the extermination policies of Australia ended, just when the gov't started its justifications for "managing" the natives through heavy handed practices, the book was an attempt to portray aborigines as needing help from the white man.
No culture would survive long eating their own offspring. However, lots of cultures were painted in such light during the early and late days of colonialism. Australia still maintains racist policies toward the aboriginal groups living there.
What you wrote here makes sense to me.

I remember reading words written by an Indian chief who lived long after the Native were put on reservations.

He gave his opinion that the white man wrote all the stories, and that the white man told many lies.

Of course it makes sense that the white Christians wanted others to believe that the Natives were vile and needed to be "civilized" by the white man and his religion(s).

I'm glad you came to this thread of the forum.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#549110 Jul 14, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
There is an account story of man that was seen driving a flock of sheep..
.When one observed him behind the sheep a opposed to leading them.....
.He remarked...."I thought the shepherd was supposed to lead the sheep.." As. he preceded to drive them further,,,, The man answered..".I am not the shepherd...I am the butcher.."..
Th Roman Catholics have not evinced leadership here ....But have attempted to drive us toward Rome. where millions in the past,..... have been slaughtered in the crusades and the inquisitions...
At no tine have they shone the attributes of Jesus nor allowed HIM TO REPRESENT HIMSELF THROUGH THEM.
Jesus said
Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
THESE ATTRIBUTES ARE NOT FOUND IN Roman CATHOLICISM....
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
ONLY THIS....
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like:
of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past,
that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
confronting

Peace

There are people that call themselves Christians but do not lead a Christ-like life. This applies to all "groups" of Christians....

It is difficult to realize that one small group of Christians can diversify and over time become corrupt as the influences of the world seep into its ranks.

The RCC is just the biggest and best target, especially for those seeking more "influence" in the world.

I KNOW you sincerely believe in what you write. But perhaps for me, one of the strongest Bible scriptures for me has been in the Psalms118:8 "It is better to trust in the Lord than to trust in men."

An interesting issue here is that those religious clergy are held more accountable on the day of Judgment than the "common" man, in the RCC. And in fact the most minor infraction for clergy is spent in Purgatory, far in excess of others.

Peace

Prince George, Canada

#549111 Jul 14, 2014
Rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the EVIL ONE is using pedophilia to undermine The message of Christ in Catholic and Protestant Churches ..
The devil made me do it.

Flip Wilson ... comedian.

Prince George, Canada

#549112 Jul 14, 2014
<quoted text>
There is an account story of man that was seen driving a flock of sheep..
Was that YOU???

Prince George, Canada

#549113 Jul 14, 2014
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
LET ME say, imo, this whole subject on both sides is,feeding fuel to the work of the,EVIL ONE,.
Chomp ... chomp ... chomp ... chomp ... BURPPPPP!!!

Location hidden

#549114 Jul 14, 2014
Godspeakinginmydreamslol wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you talking about what propaganda? I donīt watch TV. I speak english better than most natives and I was not born in germany. Every sociaty has been violent and barbaric.
But yes I bet the indian tribes would have preferred if the European never came. I bet people like you would have welcomed their religion with open arms just as the USA is so very tolerant of other religion. Just turn on the TV and watch your local program there are enough severely disturbed people. Especially the republican Party and the NRA weapons propaganda machine and FOX news.
But yes we europeans love Jon Steward and the Colbert Report, we are such barbarians with our super huge military budget, because we are always looking for trouble.(sarcasm for the last part, some people donīt get it I sadly experienced...)
Well....I don't watch tv anymore, although I do watch Netflix. The News is no longer the news anymore whether on liberal or conservative tv programming.

Touche on the comment about the military budget....The US. has been overwhelmed by the military/industrial complex, since WWII.

I have found it better to turn off the tv programming, and propaganda, for me as a person. I keep in touch with local weather on MyYahoo, and headlines on the news, if I am so inclined.
It is easier for me just to go outside and know that it is raining, or hot, than find it out on the news....(smiles)

Prince George, Canada

#549115 Jul 14, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
We are ALL sinners----myself included and even "you" Michael ------Romans 5:12 " ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God"
In your mind YOU are the SAVED sinner ... and we are the LOST forever to hell sinners.

And don't forget that the members of your Protestant family will be in hell for eternity, while you sit on the clouds with the Catholic saints ... gloating at your family members that they were warned they should have become Catholics.

At least that is the video you re-run in your "crippled by religion" brain.

Location hidden

#549116 Jul 14, 2014
Godspeakinginmydreamslol wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history... always happy to educate an ignorant American mind with his own sources. Peace.
BTW all of you have been European Barbarians at one point. But you know, times have changed over here. Try watching something else than FOX news some time.
No news is good news for me....

War is a crime against humanity.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#549117 Jul 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The devil made me do it.
Flip Wilson ... comedian.
Oh no ..I never said that ..again putting words we,don't use..

Temptation, using evil to tempt to more,evil, yes the Evil One...trying to target supposed men of God..HOWEVER, THE SIN , THE HURT is totally on the one who GIVES IN TO TEMPTATION sound,disgusting deeds again s God, the law,AND CHILDREN...
the,proliferation can be laid at the,door of men and the,ENABLERS...who gave these,men more access,to children....shame,on them.all .

However, June,don't doubt there is,evil supernatural influence in the,world , and will be until Christ returns..EVIL begets more,evil , but cannot force evil.

One exception might be those forcing children into war As in Africa and even the cartels...but again that's,on the EVIL men doing this,for profit and power

Jesus,had special warning against those hurting and turning children away from God...woe into them ....

The Evil One knows his,days are numbered and hates humanity , taking as,many of us,with him ...as he can....and his,biggest lie is that he is fiction..

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#549118 Jul 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Aha....So are you saying that as an atheist one then fears God and hell?
Or is it that atheism is only a state of mind, rather than a reality?
Anyone that does not have fear is does not have fortitude, and therefore must be a coward. Perhaps your greatest fear is the loss of your computer to type to topix all day....
I'm an atheist. The thought of hell is as scary to me as the reality that some hippie will punch me in my aura.

Seriously, it's ridiculous that Christians think hell is frightening. The Muslims "know" all Christians are going to be tortured forever - or live as slaves to the Muslims - in their afterlife. How worried are you that's true?

Prince George, Canada

#549119 Jul 14, 2014
USA Born wrote:
<quoted text>
It;s not about "judging" the Catholic church but the Vatican's claim that it is the only "true Church.
Well if yours is not the only true church then it is based on a lie … right???

That is why those in all religions point outward at others as liars and at their selves as the HOLY servants of the HOLY GOD.

It’s keeping your self’s image aligned to HOLINESS that becomes your MAIN and ONLY concern.

That is religion … in a nutshell.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549120 Jul 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Hidingfromyou
Regretably, I think that when the interests of government are applied, the heart of the matter is politics. And that means corruption. It is not of course within our own country, but all countries. The larger the economies the greater deviation....
The school system in this country is atrocious. It is not my personal opinion, but of the teachers that must teach in it..., of course with the government as its "support/enforcer".
I saw an interesting PBS film of an anthropological/historical dig in Pennsylvania, of Irish railroad workers in the 1830's....Have you seen or heard about it?
Rings a bell - that would be archaeology, not anthropology.

Yeah. I taught in the USA at two universities and was rather appalled at the levels of education incoming students had - or didn't have. Some were really brilliant, though. I'm worried your country is going to lose its status as being the leading producer of scientific research. China already beats the US now in number of academic papers, but most of those are in non-technical fields.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#549121 Jul 14, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Martin Luther was a very cruel man, but it's true that without him and his thugs breaking the power of the pope ... we would have no "heresy," as in being able to choose what we want to believe.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>
Etymology of the words heresy and heretic
In ancient Greek, the verb hairein, meaning "to take", gave rise to the adjective hairetos "able to choose" and the noun hairesis "the act of choosing".
In time the noun developed the extended senses of a "a choice", "a course of action", "a school of thought", and "a philosophical or religious sect". Stoicism was considered a hairesis
Within Judaism, a heresy (our Modern English equivalent and derivative of hairesis) was a religious faction, party, or sect; such as, the Pharisees or Sadducees.
Applied to such groups, hairesis was used in a neutral, nonpejorative manner.
In fact, when this Greek noun is used in the New Testament (Bible), it is usually translated as sect.
By the end of the second century, haeresis (the Latin equivalent) was being applied to an organized body holding a false or sacrilegious doctrine.
From this use, it took on the sense of "a body of doctrine substantially differing in some aspect from the doctrine taught by the Church".
The Catholic Church used the Latin haeresis (from the Greek hairesis) for "heresy" and haereticus (from the Late Greek hairetikos, a derivative of hairetos "able to choose") for "heretic".
These two words were taken into early French as heresie/eresie and heritique/eritique and then into English in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, respectively, as heresy an heretic.
Their religious senses passed into English as well.
In Chaucer's time, c. 1385, the noun began to take on a nonecclesiastical use, being applied to any dissenting opinion, belief, or doctrine in any field.
At about the same time we also find this noun being used for "a school of thought, a sect", echoing the ancient Greek use of hairesis.
—Excerpts from Webster's Word Histories, Merriam-Webster Inc., Publishers; Springfield, Massachuksetts, 1989.
Thank you for that, have to agree with you :)

Prince George, Canada

#549122 Jul 14, 2014
<quoted text>
~~~
ONE needs not pick out one specific sin and dwell upon it...
WE NEED TO GO TO THE ROOT OF SIN..
The root of sin is your god.

All was well in heaven until the god created Adam and Eve in physical form, knowing they were going to sin.

God ought to be severely punished.

IDIOCY!!!

Aystetten, Germany

#549123 Jul 14, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
No news is good news for me....
War is a crime against humanity.
Now thatīs the absolut truth! We fight against each other. From a religious perspective (example Adam and Eve) we have all the same ancestors and from a scientific one too. But we still fight. Still fight because of some power hungry corrupted individuals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Mr Sir 9,184
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 3 hr Jaimie 84,074
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... 5 hr Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed 5 hr W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... 15 hr tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) 16 hr JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Fri Tom Jones 1
More from around the web