Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 568,399
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#547843 Jul 6, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
Clay and his ilk..
Pope John Paul wrote in 1998 that mass also includes an element of Mary veneration, which, as we have seen, is also a pagan practice:
Significantly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that "the Sunday celebration of the Lord's Day and his Eucharist is at the heart of the Church's life"…
As they listen to the word proclaimed in the Sunday assembly, the faithful look to the Virgin Mary, learning from her to keep it and ponder it in their hearts (cf. Lk 2:19).
With Mary, they learn to stand at the foot of the Cross, offering to the Father the sacrifice of Christ and joining to it the offering of their own lives.
With Mary, they experience the joy of the Resurrection, making their own the words of the Magnificat which extol the inexhaustible gift of divine mercy in the inexorable flow of time: "His mercy is from age to age upon those who fear him" (Lk 1:50).
From Sunday to Sunday, the pilgrim people follow in the footsteps of Mary, and her maternal intercession gives special power and fervour to the prayer which rises from the Church to the Most Holy Trinity.
I got no problem with that.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#547844 Jul 6, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says this clown was an "historian" ? Lol.
The Two BabylonsEdit
Main article: The Two Babylons
This book was initially published in 1853 as a pamphlet, then greatly revised and expanded and released as a book in 1858. Hislop's work has been described as conspiracy theory propaganda which mixed "sketchy knowledge of Middle Eastern antiquity with a vivid imagination."[1]
What would these guys do without their 19th century propaganda leaflets?

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#547845 Jul 6, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Think you could learn him -- oops, teach him -- Japanese?
learning Japanese

Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#547846 Jul 6, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
No antagonizing meant...but instead, enlightenment from the view point of History:
Historian Alexander Hislop says this:
And here, in a so-called Christian Church, a brilliant plate of silver,“in the form of the SUN,” is so placed on the altar, that everyone who adores at the altar must bow in lowly reverence before that image of the “SUN.” Whence, I ask, could that have come, than from the ancient SUN-worship, or the worship of Baal? And when the wafer is placed so that the silver “SUN” is fronting the “round” wafer, whose "roundness" is so important an element in the Romish Mystery, is only another symbol of Baal, or the sun, what can be the meaning of it, but to show to those who have eyes to see that the “Wafer” itself is only another symbol of Baal.
"Who's roundness is so important an element in the Romish Mystery"

Lol. Romish? I think fanatics stopped using that word around the time of the Civil War. Nice of you to recycle it again.

In 33 AD, baked unleavened bread was round. Kinda like the Sun. He he. If you don't believe me, ask a Jewish rabbi. Pita bread (slightly leavened) and tortillas are also round.
In truth, Jesus held up a round piece of bread, and said "this is my body".

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#547847 Jul 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe Beddru would take him to eternal Japanese bliss.
:)
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>
The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.
and finally these twenty Jesus Christs (accepting their character for the name) laid the foundation for the salvation of the world, and ascended back to heaven.
1. Beddru of Japan.
Hey, dummy, I bet the Japanese had a field day pronouncing the r in Beddru, eh?

Read the discredited Acharya S, much?
Anthony MN

United States

#547848 Jul 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
All philosophers have vivid imaginations.
History "professors" are simply philosophers that choose the history that they find suitable to their own agendas.
We all gravitate to the history that pleases our egos.
For instance you gravitate to the Catholic bible.
Muslims gravitate to the Qur'an.
Protestants gravitate to the KJV.
It's habitual and nonsensical drivel.
There is a consensus amongst professional historians as it pertains to early Christianity. It is not necessarily theological, but most agree that the early Church was Catholic and it was Catholic Christians who were persecuted by the Roman Empire. They also agree that there is no record of protestantism until the the reformation.

I have no problem discussing theology with protestants. But I prefer to avoid discussing history or theology with loony tune fanatical conspiracy theorists.
Anthony MN

United States

#547849 Jul 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
What would these guys do without their 19th century propaganda leaflets?
Stupid is as stupid does.

Columbus, OH

#547850 Jul 6, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text>
learning Japanese
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =gEmJ-VWPDM4XX
Good vid.

But make no mistake.

HFY is one of the best voices on these thread.

And I consider HFY a friend.

Columbus, OH

#547851 Jul 6, 2014
thread - threads
StarC

Los Angeles, CA

#547852 Jul 6, 2014
So true Liam.

In the early days....
The apostles broke bread daily...made by the followers. Today how many loaves must be made to serve thousands on any given Sunday!!!???? Plus for those daily.!?!( we do bake unleavened bread for the converts during Easter time, for their first Holy Communion.)
This is why Catholics order the bread for easy distribution ...in a wafer.

In the early Church at Jerusalem the faithful received every day (Acts 2)

As Catholics do today .
StarC

Los Angeles, CA

#547853 Jul 6, 2014
The Roman Catholic Church traces its history to Jesus Christ and the Apostles. Over the course of centuries it developed a highly sophisticated theology and an elaborate organizational structure headed by the papacy, the oldest continuing absolute monarchy in the world.

The number of Roman Catholics in the world (nearly 1.1 billion) is greater than that of nearly all other religious traditions. There are more Roman Catholics than all other Christians combined and more Roman Catholics than all Buddhists or Hindus. Although there are more Muslims than Roman Catholics, the number of Roman Catholics is greater than that of the individual traditions of Sh&#299;&#703;ite and Sunni Islam.

These incontestable statistical and historical facts suggest that some understanding of Roman Catholicism—its history, its institutional structure, its beliefs and practices, and its place in the world—is an indispensable component of cultural literacy, regardless of how one may individually answer the ultimate questions of life and death and faith. Without a grasp of what Roman Catholicism is,...(200 of 60,236 words)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/507...
StarC

Los Angeles, CA

#547854 Jul 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be nice if you could treat homosexuals as being equal to you in worth.
But, of course you believe that a god ordains that because you are a heterosexual Catholic you are made of special stuffings.
Arrogant fool.
Your church is full of homosexuals in hiding. Do you think THEY will go to hell??
Now, now June bug, be nice.

R U sure or ru guessing? If u r sure how do u know, were u peeking, like magic Mike.

Only God knows who will go to he!!.

Just b/c I don't believe they should marry doesn't not mean that they are not respected , everyone should be treated with respect. Even u, lol.
Learn to do the same!

Jesus does not like anyone to have sex outside of Marriage.
( A Sacrament)
Homosexual or straight!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#547855 Jul 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Try looking in the mirror and you will see a blatant liar.
Thanks for verifying my words to be 110% true...quote: I can spot a lie from a mile..

Words of advice...from an ex-expert liar with forty years experience.. Every lie must contain an element of truth...never tell a lie that can be easily proven to be a lie...

Location hidden

#547856 Jul 6, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says this clown was an "historian" ? Lol.
The Two BabylonsEdit
Main article: The Two Babylons
This book was initially published in 1853 as a pamphlet, then greatly revised and expanded and released as a book in 1858. Hislop's work has been described as conspiracy theory propaganda which mixed "sketchy knowledge of Middle Eastern antiquity with a vivid imagination."[1]
Rated five stars:
For anyone that is not satisfied with accepting what we are told is the truth but, likes to see the evidence historically and biblically this is the book for you. However, Alexander Hislop highlights church practices that do not have their root in the bible at all.

Extremely, challenging yet I believe necessary for the seeker of truth.
----

Where did the practices and beliefs of Roman Catholicism come from? In this scholarly classic, first published over eighty years ago, Alexander Hislop reveals that many Roman Catholic teachings did not originate with Christ or the Bible, but were adopted from ancient pagan Babylonian religion, and given Christian names.

Although difficult reading, this book accurately provides a fascinating historical in-depth examination of the shocking similarities between the practices of ancient Babylonian religion and those of today's Roman Catholic church.

Columbus, OH

#547857 Jul 6, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for verifying my words to be 110% true...quote: I can spot a lie from a mile..
Words of advice...from an ex-expert liar with forty years experience.. Every lie must contain an element of truth...never tell a lie that can be easily proven to be a lie...
You're not an expert liar, fool.

You're just a foolish liar.

Location hidden

#547858 Jul 6, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
I got no problem with that.
Neither will any Catholic marching to the drum beat of your pied piper..
Magic Mike

Hamilton, Canada

#547859 Jul 6, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now June bug, be nice.
R U sure or ru guessing? If u r sure how do u know, were u peeking, like magic Mike.
Only God knows who will go to he!!.
Just b/c I don't believe they should marry doesn't not mean that they are not respected , everyone should be treated with respect. Even u, lol.
Learn to do the same!
Jesus does not like anyone to have sex outside of Marriage.
( A Sacrament)
Homosexual or straight!
.....Straight people like myself or closet gay people maybe like you having sex outside marriage is no more sinful than someone committing any other sin. Missing Sunday mass is the same level of sin as someone murdering someone. Mortal sin.

.....We could make a list a hundred pages long of sins that all have the same degree of what the church calls venial sin. We could make the same long list of sins considered mortal. All are forgivable according to the church.

.....Why single out people who have had or are having sex outside marriage? If there was a way to total which sin is most popular or most common, having sex outside marriage or cheating on ones spouse is right near the top and I would say the majority of people have been there......including me.

.....Didn't you have sex before you were married? Weren't you part of american grafitti when you were a teenager like most americans.

....Oh! the memories I have. I just wish I could remember them all...,(lol)......I wonder what those girls from back in the day are doing right now? Maybe Star they are wondering what Magic Mike is doing too...(lol)

.....and just think Star C,....Confession back then cleared all those nasty (lol) little sins.

Location hidden

#547860 Jul 6, 2014
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not an expert liar, fool.
You're just a foolish liar.
Crawl back under your favorite rock...lying snake..
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#547861 Jul 6, 2014
...Oh the memories!.... I sure miss the 1960s

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#547862 Jul 6, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a consensus amongst professional historians as it pertains to early Christianity. It is not necessarily theological,.
Of course it is theological. ALL religious history is theological. And you favor the theological history that favors your personalized opinion about Catholicism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Married in 8,881
Pope's visit to stoke climate fight Jan 26 SpaceBlues 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Jan 21 theidiotsareunited 3
More Jan 20 George 3
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) Jan 20 KidlatNgayon 80
Pope: Don't Breed Like Rabbits. Or Use Birth Co... Jan 20 Weird or What 1
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Jan 19 MS_Singapore 42
More from around the web