Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646744 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Michael

Canada

#548114 Jul 8, 2014
...Why does God change and evolve like we do? It wasn't that long ago Christians with the blessings from God stoned people to death or burned them if they disagreed with church teachings.

....Today christian churches have updated their punishment of non believers. No more heinous punishment, if fact no punishment at all....all with the blessings from God.

....too bad for those that lived a few hundred years ago and suffered the fate of then an all punishing God. Today God is kinder and gentler, not like the God from the past.

.....I wonder how God will evolve in the future? Will there be no rules at all.
Michael

Canada

#548115 Jul 8, 2014
[QUOTE who="ReginaM."]<q uoted text>.....Besides, most of us scroll past the majority of your posts. The few people you manage to attract aren't going to make a significant difference.[/QUOTE]

ReginaM.

.....I don't think so. Sera and Anthony have both responded to or posted to June several times each in the past month. June gets more responses than any other poster and I do believe most read her posts because she says things most of us would never say.

.....Curiosity gets the best of us.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#548116 Jul 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Never mind ... you are not IN a religion, so you don't believe in hell for me or others ... RIGHT???
After all ... if you travel with Jesus' HOLY spirit, both of you would never think ILL of others, so you would never reject any souls to "spiritual" hell ... RIGHT???
By the way, where is the equivalent of Christian heaven, which in your case would be "spiritual heaven" located.
You never did explain.
:)
Only death has the answers to them questions June..
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#548117 Jul 8, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
ReginaM.
.....I don't think so. Sera and Anthony have both responded to or posted to June several times each in the past month. June gets more responses than any other poster and I do believe most read her posts because she says things most of us would never say.
.....Curiosity gets the best of us.
Maybe you're right, but I get the opposite impression. I used to read more of her posts, but then she got so absurd I don't think even she believes half of what she writes anymore. It's mostly for shock value. That being said, she does hit the nail on the head every so often.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#548118 Jul 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Because the dying man and his wife believe that they will share heaven ... while others are doomed to share Greek Orthodox hell.
You aren't on this forum to share LOVE. You are here to preach at others a warning that if they don't adhere to your personalized religion ... hell will be their eternal fate.
You are certain that you are WISE ... but I see you as an arrogant FOOL!
I don't "preach" to anyone. What you believe is up to you. I leave the judgement of others to GOD. LOVE..now that is a word that excapes your heart but LIVES in mine FOREVER...no matter how many times I am doomed to suffer I will NEVER stop loving GOD I believe in Him and in His Heaven.

Location hidden

#548119 Jul 8, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
What a horrible thing to say! I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Why don't you just ignore her if she upsets you so much instead of lashing out so violently.
Have you considered grief counseling? It can be very helpful.
I responded to a post that Pad made on what comforted Nick in his last days. It was his faith in Orthodoxy and Orthodox chanting. It was June that responded to me in a hateful manner. You Regina have said worst things to me and Nick in the past that I would never have said to another poster. Lashing out to June seems to be the typical thing to do on this forum and should not be such a shock to you...And yes, I have concerned grief counseling. Thank you for caring for my well being

Location hidden

#548120 Jul 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
She came to GLOAT that she and her husband will be in Greek Orthodox heaven, while I will be in eternal hell ... and she won't leave the subject alone. She comes back every so often to take it up again.
This a forum ... not a Greek Orthodox church, and I have a right to defend my own opinions.
If you think I am being insensitive you are correct. But she continues to insult me with her notions that I am an evil WITCH, while SHE and Nick are saved and HOLY.
You don't seem to GET that part of the equation.
I posted in reply to Pad on what gave Nick comfort and it was his faith in God and Orthodoxy. It was you that replyed to me in a hateful manner. My replyed to Pad did relate to his post on people finding comfort in their faith while on their deathbed. It was you again that chooses to carry on about my loss of Nick as a negative thing. I am here to say that Nicks passing was a positive thing! And I will post about Nick in anyway, any time I chose too.

Location hidden

#548121 Jul 8, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you're right, but I get the opposite impression. I used to read more of her posts, but then she got so absurd I don't think even she believes half of what she writes anymore. It's mostly for shock value. That being said, she does hit the nail on the head every so often.
I am here to say that Nicks passing was a positive thing and his faith in orthodoxy comforted him in his finale days. It was his love for God and his faith that also comforted me....I do hope that you and all Christian here see this as a plus not a negative. I am comforted by the knowledge of his faith. Yes I miss his physical being but I rejoice in his reward. God Bless honestly to you ...I know that you understand what I am trying to say.

Location hidden

#548122 Jul 8, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.... If you don't like her responses than stop posting back to her with insults trying to up the anti.....Move on!
I am moving on.....but I am also here to say what Orthodox has done for Nick .....and I will try my best not to respond to Junes hateful posts....

Location hidden

#548123 Jul 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
As have I. I also suggested that all of us have lost loved-ones and have our own grief of loss, but that we don't go on and on about it on the forum.
Suffering occurs every day and night to humans and all other animals ... period ... so carrying on about our personal losses seems very self-indulgent indeed.
I tend to talk to my closest personal friends about my losses and they share their losses with me, and in that way we have grief counseling.
The forum is not a place to come for sympathy. My suffering is minute compared to so many other humans that are without food, et cetera.
THAT is my point.
I am not here for Sympathy June.....I am here as a testimony to Nicks suffering and his faith in God and love for Orthodoxy. I am rejoicing in his peaceful passing...
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#548124 Jul 8, 2014
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text> I responded to a post that Pad made on what comforted Nick in his last days. It was his faith in Orthodoxy and Orthodox chanting. It was June that responded to me in a hateful manner. You Regina have said worst things to me and Nick in the past that I would never have said to another poster. Lashing out to June seems to be the typical thing to do on this forum and should not be such a shock to you...And yes, I have concerned grief counseling. Thank you for caring for my well being
Um, no, actually I haven't. And this isn't about me. No one is doing you any favors by encouraging you in this. If you want to talk about the beauty of the Orthodox faith, please do. I have some lovely Orthodox links that I would also share because they portray our jointly held beliefs and practices and, therefore, are properly understood and appreciated.

We are both encouraged by our respective churches to pray for the souls of the deceased no matter how many years have gone by since their passing. We are all in need of God's mercy.

Another thought is a bereavement support group in your church. There you would have a stronger element of faith as opposed to a secular group, although both can be helpful.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#548125 Jul 8, 2014
Where art thou Clay...talk to me...
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Serious? I guess I would start with the Sacramental Priesthood. From there, all the Sacraments slowly dismantled. The Holy Eucharist, the "supper of the Lamb", the hidden manna (revelation 2:17), prophesied in Isaiah 62: 8-9, spoken of by the Lord in Luke 22, the Mass taught by Paul in Cor 11:24. Taught as the New Testament by Jesus (also in Luke 22:20), has been reduced to a silly little cracker by you and the other Bible verse adventurers.
The data is in......if I go to you and ask you about the teachings of Jesus Christ, I get one answer. If I go to another pastor, I get yet another answer. This will change again and again after you die, and other self ordained ministers takeover.
---
Me:
Question:
Since you insist that in Mt 16:18 Christ built the RCC, and that Peter was the first pope, why does Rev 2:17 reads as follows: He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it?

Why does it not instead read as follows: He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the Catholic church; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

You bad-mouth me every time I show you the truth...the church in Mt 16:18 is not the RCC...why don't you bad-mouth Christ for clearly giving all the same message...there were no Catholic churches referred to any place in all of the Bible...none...

And:
Neither did He refer to any of the seven churches in Rev as "Catholic"..which says exactly what I have been saying...they were not there!!! Why don't you bad-mouth Him for giving you the same message I have been giving you..for which you bad-mouth me...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#548126 Jul 8, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Case in point.
The leader is HERE to lead us to our REAL spiritual Gnostic SELVES ... blah, blah, blah.
Jealousy will get you know where.

:o)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#548127 Jul 8, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, no, actually I haven't. And this isn't about me. No one is doing you any favors by encouraging you in this. If you want to talk about the beauty of the Orthodox faith, please do. I have some lovely Orthodox links that I would also share because they portray our jointly held beliefs and practices and, therefore, are properly understood and appreciated.
We are both encouraged by our respective churches to pray for the souls of the deceased no matter how many years have gone by since their passing. We are all in need of God's mercy.
Another thought is a bereavement support group in your church. There you would have a stronger element of faith as opposed to a secular group, although both can be helpful.
Absolute waste of time.."We are both encouraged by our respective churches to pray for the souls of the deceased no matter how many years have gone by since their passing. We are all in need of God's mercy."

What ever the Spiritual status of a person is, when he dies, his destination for eternity is sealed..Heaven or hell..its a done deal..the game has ended...if He is seen as a goat by Christ..he goes to hell...if he is seen by Christ as one of His sheep...he goes to Heaven...per Scripture:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Regina

Toms River, NJ

#548128 Jul 8, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolute waste of time.."We are both encouraged by our respective churches to pray for the souls of the deceased no matter how many years have gone by since their passing. We are all in need of God's mercy."
What ever the Spiritual status of a person is, when he dies, his destination for eternity is sealed..Heaven or hell..its a done deal..the game has ended...if He is seen as a goat by Christ..he goes to hell...if he is seen by Christ as one of His sheep...he goes to Heaven...per Scripture:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
While Catholics and Orthodox differ somewhat in our beliefs about purification after death, we both believe that one is destined either for heaven or for hell. This from an Orthodox Church:

What the ORTHODOX BELIEVE Concerning Prayer for the Dead

"If I may respectfully ask, in what sense do the Orthodox pray for the souls of the departed? As you know, this is not a practice within Protestantism."

You ask in what sense do we pray for the souls of the departed. Why, in the same sense that we pray for the souls of those with us because Christ is Risen, trampling down death by death. The barrier between living and dead has been eliminated due to the Resurrection of Christ. Those who are departed are just as much with us and just as much a part of the Church as those who we see living on this earth. There is no longer any separation. And so not only do we pray for them, but they also pray for us; in the same way that you might ask your friends to pray for you and in turn pray for them so also do we pray for each other without concern for the separation of death.

When we pray for either the living or the dead we use the same prayer: "Lord have mercy", to express our desires. We do not know what to pray for even for those with whom we live because only God knows what is best for our salvation, and so we say "Lord have mercy". Likewise we do not know the needs and concerns of the departed, but God does and trusting in His knowledge we say, "Lord have mercy"

We do know that, like all of us, those who have departed require forgiveness of sins, and that they look for a "place of rest" in the bosom of Christ and so we make this petition, that God will provide these things, but again as for specifics about how this should happen we simply conclude with "Lord have mercy".
http://www.orthodox.net/articles/about-prayer...
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#548129 Jul 8, 2014
Why do Orthodox Christians pray for the departed?

ANSWER:

The simple answer (as should always be) is that this is an apostolic practice and command. Jews prayed for the reposed (and Orthodox Jews still do this), a practice attested in 2 Maccabees. Even if one does not accept 2 Maccabees as fully authoritative, it is a clear historical testimony that this was the Jewish practice. The fact that praying for the dead is an apostolic tradition is established by the fact that all ancient churches and liturgies have such commemoration which is based on the unshakable belief that "the prayer of the righteous avails much" and that "love covers a multitude of sins." In the Orthodox Liturgy, this prayer for the dead is connected with the sacrifice of Christ, as the priest prays "wash away O Lord by your precious blood the sins of those who have been remembered" and the particles are placed in the consecrated chalice.
http://www.orthodoxanswers.org/answer/358/

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#548130 Jul 8, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
June, personally I think you're here just to drive up the stats, returning only when it slows down to a trickle. Your posts are so obviously over the top, meant to incite angry responses. Most people know better.
I don't wish you any harm, but you're really overdoing it this time. Surely Topix doesn't pay that much. Besides, most of us scroll past the majority of your posts. The few people you manage to attract aren't going to make a significant difference.
If I fluffed up your Catholic ego, would you have the same attitude towards why I am here???

And of course you don't wish me harm. That is why you want me to be a devout Catholic, so I won't spend eternity in Catholic hell.

:)

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#548131 Jul 8, 2014
Michael wrote:
...Why does God change and evolve like we do? It wasn't that long ago Christians with the blessings from God stoned people to death or burned them if they disagreed with church teachings.
....Today christian churches have updated their punishment of non believers. No more heinous punishment, if fact no punishment at all....all with the blessings from God.
....too bad for those that lived a few hundred years ago and suffered the fate of then an all punishing God. Today God is kinder and gentler, not like the God from the past.
.....I wonder how God will evolve in the future? Will there be no rules at all.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#548132 Jul 8, 2014
On a lighter note, the Pope is trying to rid the RCC of obvious evil.

Vatican Bank...

"Profits plunged by more than $100 million at the Vatican bank last year after thousands of accounts were shut down in a radical overhaul of the scandal-scarred institution"

It's nice that a delusional god's one true Bank has decided to conform with international banking rules, originally put in place to combat fraud and money laundering.

It seems that the RCC was not immune from the immorality of "the love of money."

Maybe the Born-Agains will take heed and look at their own like Benny Hinn and Clint Brown, who preach versions of the absurd "Prosperity Gospel."
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#548133 Jul 8, 2014
And from the Catholic Liturgy:

"Remember also our brothers and sisters who have fallen asleep in the hope of the resurrection and all who have died in your mercy: welcome them into the light of your face. Have mercy on us all, we pray, that with the blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, with the blessed Apostles, and all the Saints who have pleased you throughout the ages, we may merit to be co-heirs to eternal life, and may praise and glorify you through your Son, Jesus Christ."

"Remember also those who have died in the peace of your Christ and all the dead, whose faith you alone have known. To all of us, your children, grant, O merciful Father, that we may enter into a heavenly inheritance with the blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and with your Apostles and Saints in your kingdom. There, with the whole of creation, freed from the corruption of sin and death, may we glorify you through Christ our Lord, through whom you bestow on the world all that is good."
http://catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/RM3-...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 4 hr sharona 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 22 hr Mr Sir 10,166
News Nation-Now 57 mins ago 10:35 a.m.Pope Francis s... Mon Rev Cash Dollar 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May '16 Gods r Delusions ... 4
More from around the web