Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 688786 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#547727 Jul 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Per wikipedia and most history scholars, the Church was called Catholic well before St. Ignatius called it such in AD 107. Why are so many non-Catholic sources admitting it and you can't?
The word Catholic was not associated with religion. It simply meant "universal."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

The Catholic Encyclopedia

Catholic

The word Catholic (katholikos from katholou -- throughout the whole, i.e., universal) occurs in the Greek classics, e.g., in Aristotle and Polybius, and was freely used by the earlier Christian writers in what we may call its primitive and non-ecclesiastical sense.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#547728 Jul 5, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
In that excerpt Catholics are not mentioned.... nor the SBC or any other Protestant denomination..why is that??
WHAT is your point?

The Protestant religion didn't start until the 16th century ... so they would not BE the first ones to use the word Christian.

Whoever the first Christians were, they were NOT Protestants.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

June VanDerMark wrote:

From the book,“History of Christianity,” by Clyde L. Manschreck … comes the following ……..
Christianity had its birth in Judaism. For a hundred years those within and without Christianity considered it a sect of Judaism, so close were the ties.

“Happy 2016!!”

Since: Apr 08

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#547729 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was ordered by the Catholics to exist so they could create and LEAD a new kingdom on earth.
They are one of the wealthiest businesses EVER!!!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities … A treasury of Trivia, by Nino Lo Bello~ Published 1998.
How rich is the Vatican?
As one cardinal’s aide quipped not long ago,“The Vatican should truly be judged by the companies it keeps.”
Now now, June bug,
Let's not get testy... Did u get mad b/c ur 100 yrs old now? Boo hoo.

Google Catholics Charities.... Pages and pages..:)

In the US of A. Only.....

" the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million
elementary and high school students

everyday at the cost to that Church of

10 billion dollars, and a

savings on the

other hand to the

American taxpayer of

18 billion dollars.

The graduates go on to

university studies at the rate of 92%. The Church has 230 colleges and

universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which

account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in

the United States today."

Jesus said "build my Church and we did, the Church belongs to the people... That's us. We maintain it! Pretty much like the White House.

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#547730 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The word Catholic was not associated with religion. It simply meant "universal."
Catholic
The word Catholic (katholikos from katholou -- throughout the whole, i.e., universal) occurs in the Greek classics, e.g., in Aristotle and Polybius, and was freely used by the earlier Christian writers in what we may call its primitive and non-ecclesiastical sense.
Universal b/c ALL were of the same belief as we are today, ALL over the world!!!
Anthony MN

Champlin, MN

#547731 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic
True. And all of the earliest Christian witnesses identify themselves member of the Catholic Church. They all held the Catholic faith.

Why don't any of the early Christians identify themselves as anything but Catholic? Why didn't any of the early Christians hold beliefs that protestants do?

“Happy 2016!!”

Saint Teresa Pray 4 Us.

#547732 Jul 5, 2014
Have a great day all!

Time to get on with life....

June bug ur cats are meowing, I can hear them all the here in sunny SoCal.
Michael

Canada

#547733 Jul 5, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Now now, June bug,
Let's not get testy... Did u get mad b/c ur 100 yrs old now? Boo hoo.
Google Catholics Charities.... Pages and pages..:)
In the US of A. Only.....
" the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million
elementary and high school students
everyday at the cost to that Church of
10 billion dollars, and a
savings on the
other hand to the
American taxpayer of
18 billion dollars.
The graduates go on to
university studies at the rate of 92%. The Church has 230 colleges and
universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.
The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which
account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in
the United States today."
Jesus said "build my Church and we did, the Church belongs to the people... That's us. We maintain it! Pretty much like the White House.
...(lol). Bill Gates has given over 26 Billion to charities himself. 1 person.

.....Google catholic charity fraud........and read the names of catholics right across your great nation who have defrauded their own charity.

..,.Google Vatican bank money laundering.........read how millions of $$ fraududantly disappeared.

......something is terribly wrong Star B......or C.
Michael

Canada

#547734 Jul 5, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi June bug,
Did u have a B-day in June..? Is that why ur name is June?
How old, 100? lol- Meow!!!!
June from ur link... The answer is there.
"In submitting Himself humbly to the baptism of St. John the Baptist, however, Christ provided the example for the rest of us. If even He should be baptized, though He had no need of it, how much more should the rest of us be thankful for this sacrament, which frees us from the darkness of sin and incorporates us into the Church, the life of Christ on earth! His Baptism, therefore, was necessary--not for Him, but for us."
....How could anyone claim to be baptized by someone named St John Baptist if the christian religion had not yet been invented and there was no one named saint anything?(lol). Hello!!.....(lol)

....frees from the darkness of sin you say.(Lol)
...Christians are committing more sins today than ever........frees from darkness of sin she says..,.(lol)
Michael

Canada

#547735 Jul 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No I not arguing it at all.
BS!......you have argued with every non catholic you have posted to.

....you have little self control.
Chess

Columbus, OH

#547736 Jul 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ didn't come here to start a book.....
Correct.

Indeed, there is no evidence Jesus could either read or write other than the Pericope Adulterae, the last major revision to GoJohn.

But fear not, for the story likely has roots earlier than GoJohn.

Bart Ehrman sees an early tradition -- no, two early traditions -- one about a sinner and one about an innocent conflated into a single story in John.

Me too.

But unlike Ehrman, I place authorship with the author or Mark.

Mark was famous for framing. He likely used these two stories as counterbalances before they were extricated from his gospel to find a home in modified form in Luke.(Evidence survives of a relatively early copy of Luke with the story therein).

The modified story was then whisked from Luke to land in John, with its traces of Markan and Lukan influences surviving.

So, though early in the tradition, the only evidence of Jesus being literate in the canon comes late, and even though the tradition is -- traditions are -- early, most experts believe Jesus writing on the ground is a late addition to that tradition.

So, no, Jesus did not come to write a book.
Cisco Kid

Sonora, CA

#547737 Jul 5, 2014
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
Is this the one?:
-
http://biblehub.com/niv/2_timothy/3.htm
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

-
-
or this one?:

http://biblehub.com/niv/1_corinthians/4.htm
6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying,“DO NOT GO BEYOND WHAT IS WRITTEN.” Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.
Since Paul wrote those two letters before there was any written gospels or New Testament, does that mean only The Old Testament is relevant?

That one should not go beyond what is written in The Old Testament?
Cisco Kid

Sonora, CA

#547738 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
Lies of omission are lies ... period.
For instance ... within the "captivating" theology ... when was Jesus' mother Mary baptized into the Catholic religion??? Was it before Jesus became a Catholic saint ... or after???
Silly nonsense.
She would lived as a Jew and died, having been totally faithful TO Judaism.
Our VIrgin Mother Mary was certainly baptised by Holy Spirit on Pentecost, if not by Jesus beforehand.

It is written in black and white right there in Acts 1 and 2-

"When they entered the city they went to the upper room where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James.
All these devoted themselves with one accord to prayer, together with some women,
and Mary the mother of Jesus,.....'

"When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together.
And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were.
Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them.
And they were all filled with the holy Spirit ..."

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#547739 Jul 5, 2014
Persecution of the Roman Empire

The defining moment in the life of the primitive church came after the first true Roman persecution under Nero that led to the execution of the apostles Peter and Paul (circa 62-64 A.D.) followed shortly thereafter by the seige of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple. Would this small movement survive?

For the next 250 years the Christian church endured periods of persecution at the hands of the Roman empire. It is important to realize that Roman persecution of Christians came in waves, tended to be regional in nature, and typically did not last more than a couple of years. The Romans were not always the inhumane savages we picture, throwing people into the pit with hungry lions. The Romans were basically cultured and disciplined, however warfare was an important part of that culture, and in war they were brutal, but only if you resisted them. When the Roman armies came against a territory the defending nation could send a peace envoy - the Romans were content to annex your territory and collect taxes for Caesar. You could keep your properties, continue to farm your lands, and live under the banner of Rome. If, however, you sent your armies to meet the Romans in battle you were very likely to suffer military defeat and then face the full brutality of the Roman legions. Punishment might include burning many of your buildings and homes to the ground, allowing the soldiers to plunder and rape their way through the countryside, and/or salt your fields, making them useless for 2-3 years.

Where were the Catholics!!!!!???? How could they be there...they did not exist...

Location hidden

#547740 Jul 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
Just a curious observation for those anti-intellectual protestant evangelical fundamentalists here who deny the early Church was Catholic;
Why do resident atheists here (and universally I assume) who are absolutely no friends to the Catholic Church (in fact they detest it more than most Christian communities), insist that history proves the Catholic Church was there from the beginning and that protestantism and protestant denominationalism were non-existent until the reformation?
Why possible reason would there be for them to side with the Catholics on this issue?
Why is it they can face the reality of historical proofs and evangelical fundamentalists can't?
What is it about evangelical fundamentalism that forces folks to deny history and /or refuse to study it?
You said you had tons of records...which I did not deny...but I also said if you were talking about tons of record that show Catholics being persecuted by the Roman Empire, show me at least one ton of such..am waiting...
StarC

San Diego, CA

#547741 Jul 5, 2014
Roman Emperors Persecute Christians

"A.D. 30 to 313
Some accounts of Christian persecutions say that believers were thrown to wild animals in Roman amphitheaters—as depicted in this 19th century painting.
(Photograph of painting by Eugene Thirion copyright Bonhams, London, UK/Bridgeman Art Library)
The Roman Empire could be a dangerous place for early Christians, whose emerging doctrine flew in the face of established Roman religion.

Hostility toward Christians fluctuated throughout the empire due to local events or individual officials' actions. Periods of peace were shattered by incidents like the great Rome fire of A.D. 64, which Emperor Nero blamed on Christians, or by the threat of external invasion, which often caused communities to close ranks.

Christianity was punishable by death during this era, yet pardon was available to those willing to renounce their religion by offering sacrifice to the emperor or Roman gods. The offering of sacrifices became a particularly contentious issue and a kind of religious litmus test. Honoring Rome's gods and goddesses was considered a civic obligation and, at times, a law.

But many Christians refused to break with their faith. They were often executed and then hailed by their coreligionists as martyrs.

During Emperor Decius's short reign (A.D. 249 to 251), all Christians were required not only to offer sacrifice, but also to acquire official certificates from witnesses to their offering.

Perhaps the most comprehensive of such anti-Christian hostilities were the early fourth century persecutions by the co-emperors Diocletian and Galerius. Fortunately for the Christian faithful, they were to be the last.

In 313 Constantine I and Eastern Roman Emperor Licinius ratified the Edict of Milan, which finally ensured tolerance for Christians throughout the Roman Empire."
StarC

San Diego, CA

#547742 Jul 5, 2014
Persecution in the Early Church

"Blessed are you when men hate you, when they exclude you and insult you and reject your name as evil, because of the Son of Man. Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven."
-- Jesus (c. 30 AD){1}

"The contagion of this superstition has spread not only in the cities but in the villages and rural districts as well; yet it seems capable of being checked and set right."
-- Pliny the Younger, Govenor of Bithynia (c. 110 AD){2}

"This temporal and brief suffering, how shall it be exchanged for the reward of a bright and eternal honor!"
-- St. Cyprian of Carthage {3}

"The Christian Martyrs' Last Prayer"
by Leon Gerome
Christian Persecution

In its first three centuries, the Christian church endured regular (though not constant) persecution at the hands of Roman authorities. This experience, and its resulting martyrs and apologists, would have significant historical and theological consequences for the developing faith.{4}

Among other things, persecution sparked the cult of the saints, facilitated the rapid growth and spread of Christianity, prompted defenses and explanations of Christianity (the "apologies"), and, in its aftermath, raised fundamental questions about the nature of the church.

The article that follows explores the history of persecution of the early church, some of the reasons behind it, and two important Christian responses to persecution: the glorification of martyrdom and the writings of the apologists."
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#547743 Jul 5, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Google Catholics Charities
Google Atheist charities.

Location hidden

#547744 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Because religion is ALL based on lies.
Christianity: The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus..

I would say, judging from your words, you are not a Christian. I responded to your request for a conversation based on my belief that you are a Christian and wanted to study Scripture...

If I were you, and I looked at Christianity as all lies, I would not hesitate to avow my belief by flaunting my belief openly to all...I would blasphemy the Holy Ghost...in a second...that would leave no room for anyone to doubt my sincerity in my belief that Christianity is all lies...

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#547745 Jul 5, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Universal b/c ALL were of the same belief as we are today, ALL over the world!!!
The European Bishops Synod

1. The division within the Roman Catholic Church

For the last decades, problems relating to faith and morality, politics, economics, social, sexual and family decisions, have all been the subject of such differing interpretations among Roman Catholics, that they have led to a split without precedent in the history of the Church. This division calls for careful analysis. It can be compared with the ongoing schisms between it and other Christian churches, in some cases for more than a millennium, and which have also played an important role in the conflicts between various European nations. On the occasion of the European Bishops Synod, we feel it worthwhile to focus on a number of considerations in respect of the division within the Roman Catholic Church.

http://we-are-church.org/forum/forum6engl.htm
StarC

San Diego, CA

#547746 Jul 5, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews follow Jews ... they don't follow Catholics.
If you have any doubt about that issue ... ask the Jews in Israel if any of them converted to Catholicism because your pope "visited" them.
I suggest they will tell you that they were not impressed by his religion OR his "visit."
"No one can come to the Father unless HE calls them"

The Pope did not go to Israel to convert anyone. This was a peace mission.
They were so happy to meet the Pope, they accepted his invite to Rome.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Oct 11 Married in 10,646
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct 9 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct 2 The Bible Student 81
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Sep '17 Tom Fontaine 42
News Catholic clergy fires back after Bannon criticism Sep '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Evangelical Trump supporters want meeting with ... Aug '17 Ms Sassy 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Aug '17 -Prince Of Darkness- 84,837
More from around the web