Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 595758 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#543198 Jun 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ex 13:21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night: He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.
My KJV has not "overshadow" nor "overshadowed" in the OT....what version are you using that shows either of those word in the OT...
Oxbow

Peace

You and Preston are coming up against what I was referring to a day or two ago with word etymology....

Actually, because the word "overshadow" in Luke is used only once in the N.T., it is not definable. It also has no historical roots in the O.T. except using roots and variations from Hebrew to Greek.

And this also is not so much a noun, but a verb as we know it. However, I do not want to spoil the enjoyment you and Preston have on the subject, so I will leave this up to you for consideration.

English has some specific drawbacks when it comes to translating from Hebrew/Greek, especially spiritual writings. But the translators did their best. And if I know what the meaning is, I would have difficulty in expressing it, for this simple reason of these drawbacks.

Peace
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#543199 Jun 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently the forum can't handle Koine Greek....
Septuagint Old Testament Bilingual (Greek / English)-
Ex 13:21-22 And God led them, in the day by a pillar of cloud, to show them the way, and in the night by a pillar of fire. 22 And the pillar of cloud failed not by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, before all the people.
Where does it say "overshadow" or "overshadowed"????
I aint gonna tell you where you are wrong>LOL
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#543200 Jun 9, 2014
who="Oxbow"]<quot ed text>
I can't see it...point it out to me:
putting away: shalach: a primitive root; to send away, for, or out (in a great variety of applications):--X any wise, appoint, bring (on the way), cast (away, out), conduct, X earnestly, forsake, give (up), grow long, lay, leave, let depart (down, go, loose), push away, put (away, forth, in, out), reach forth, send (away, forth, out), set, shoot (forth, out), sow, spread, stretch forth (out).
Ge 35:2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
Does this tell you that Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, to divorce the strange gods that are among them, and be clean, and change their garments???

----------
Send away, put away, push away, send forth: DIVORCE. What difference does it make whether it is a wife or an idol?
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#543201 Jun 9, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
Peace
You and Preston are coming up against what I was referring to a day or two ago with word etymology....
Actually, because the word "overshadow" in Luke is used only once in the N.T., it is not definable. It also has no historical roots in the O.T. except using roots and variations from Hebrew to Greek.
And this also is not so much a noun, but a verb as we know it. However, I do not want to spoil the enjoyment you and Preston have on the subject, so I will leave this up to you for consideration.
English has some specific drawbacks when it comes to translating from Hebrew/Greek, especially spiritual writings. But the translators did their best. And if I know what the meaning is, I would have difficulty in expressing it, for this simple reason of these drawbacks.
Peace
since you don't know Greek, you are only reciting what you have founds in alink and then transliterating on your own words, so good luck.

but it is definable, as I just showed. it has NOTHING to do with a woman getting Pregnant.

so look at it like this. God took something out of Adam, GOD put something in mary.

"Overshadow" was the beginning of what was happening to Mary, not the Be All.

and that is something that Oxbore cant comprehend that if "overshadow" was the actual experience then the women of Israel while in the Desert would have got pregnant also>
KayMarie

Carlisle, PA

#543202 Jun 9, 2014
who="Anthony MN"]<quoted text>
"What the Catholic faith believes about Mary is based on what it believes about Christ, and what it teaches about Mary illumines in turn its faith in Christ."

----------
Stranger by the minute...

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#543203 Jun 9, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
I am not going to give you any hints. if you want to argue with me, you are going to have to be smarter than you presently are.
you seem to be very mistaken in believing that you are the smartest person on this Forum, and you love to try and talk down to people with your little retorts.
now if you possess a Strong's Concordance, it might link you to what I am talking about. but I cant verify that, since I don't possess a Greek dictionary or Lexicon. I gave mine away back in 91 when I moved. I thought the Bible College might need it.
and anyway, if you have been on here for years, a Professor posted to me about a latin phrase that a person was trying to put together(and failed), like you tried and failed also. she answered me in Classical Greek, and I appreciated her comments.
as I have said three times, you cant just pick a word or words and make them have the proper CONTEXT.
OVERSHADOW, as what God did in the example with Mary, doesn't mean what you think it means. that was only PART of the Experience, just as with God taking a rib from Adam.
the word Overshadow with Mary, is comparable as to God placing Adam asleep.
Do I expect you(or tony) to understand that? nope!
Between the two of you, you don't have the Biblical knowledge of my 5 y/o granddaughter.
without the knowledge of you using Google, you would be completely useless in a Bible quiz.
How big is the mirror you are talking to??

Location hidden

#543204 Jun 9, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
I can't see it...point it out to me:
putting away: shalach: a primitive root; to send away, for, or out (in a great variety of applications):--X any wise, appoint, bring (on the way), cast (away, out), conduct, X earnestly, forsake, give (up), grow long, lay, leave, let depart (down, go, loose), push away, put (away, forth, in, out), reach forth, send (away, forth, out), set, shoot (forth, out), sow, spread, stretch forth (out).
Ge 35:2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
Does this tell you that Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, to divorce the strange gods that are among them, and be clean, and change their garments???
----------
Send away, put away, push away, send forth: DIVORCE. What difference does it make
whether it is a wife or an idol?
Divorce is not in that definition....

You did not answer my question regards Jacob...why??? Because you can see "put away" does not mean divorce...that's why...people didn't divorce gods...

Location hidden

#543205 Jun 9, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>I aint gonna tell you where you are wrong>LOL
I did not ask you to tell me where I am wrong...that would not make sense sense I am right...

Ex 13:21-22 And God led them, in the day by a pillar of cloud, to show them the way, and in the night by a pillar of fire. 22 And the pillar of cloud failed not by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, before all the people.

I am asking you to tell me where does it say "overshadow" or "overshadowed"????

You are starting to act like a Catholic...can't face the troth... neither "overshadow" or "overshadowed" is not used in the OT....like you say it is....

Location hidden

#543206 Jun 9, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>since you don't know Greek, you are only reciting what you have founds in alink and then transliterating on your own words, so good luck.
but it is definable, as I just showed. it has NOTHING to do with a woman getting Pregnant.
so look at it like this. God took something out of Adam, GOD put something in mary.
"Overshadow" was the beginning of what was happening to Mary, not the Be All.
and that is something that Oxbore cant comprehend that if "overshadow" was the actual experience then the women of Israel while in the Desert would have got pregnant also>
This is not in the Bible...you are telling a lie... Scripture does not support such nonsense...

You say: if "overshadow" was the actual experience then the women of Israel while in the Desert would have got pregnant also.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#543207 Jun 9, 2014
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
You need God in your life you would have peace.
:)
Maybe if you become a Wiccan you can worship a goddess that loves everybody.

That will "save you" from having to believe that the Abrahamic God will reject you to Gehenna for not being faithful to Judaism.

And at last you will know universal peace.

Location hidden

#543208 Jun 9, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
Peace
Peace
Regards your words: Actually, because the word "overshadow" in Luke is used only once in the N.T., it is not definable.

Lu 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Ac 5:15 Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at the least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them.
Mt 17:5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him.
Mr 9:7 And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.
Lu 9:34 While he thus spake, there came a cloud, and overshadowed them: and they feared as they entered into the cloud.

Overshadowed being the past tense of overshadow...

All words in a dictionary are definable!!!! That's why they are in there!!!
atemcowboy

Waverly, OH

#543209 Jun 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not ask you to tell me where I am wrong...that would not make sense sense I am right...
I am asking you to tell me where does it say "overshadow" or "overshadowed"????
You are starting to act like a Catholic...can't face the troth... neither "overshadow" or "overshadowed" is not used in the OT....like you say it is....
since you know Greek so well and are such a student of the Bible, you should know exactly what I am talking about.

AND I AINT GONNA TELL YOU.LOL

Prince George, Canada

#543210 Jun 9, 2014
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow
Peace
Peace
So you are still eager to believe that the Abrahamic God abandoned the Jews for Catholics such as you HUH master Robert???

I hope you are wrong ... and that when you cross over, you find the God with his Jews fully united ... and that no Catholic heaven is to be found anywhere in the universe.

It will serve you and your GREED-invested self ... RIGHT!

Location hidden

#543211 Jun 9, 2014
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>she didn't need to, your attitude is self serving and belligerent without any person adding to it.
just WHY are you on this FORUM?
YOU ARE AS EVIL AND CONTRARY AS june IS.
You certainly are not a teacher of the Gospel, since you KNOW nothing about Him and His Word.
HOW CAN I SAY THAT?
THE ANSWER IS WRITTEN IN THE WORDS OF JESUS
JOHN 14;17 (thought I would be a "helper")lol
My question woke her up....she responded....babbling the same nonsense....

You are really beginning to sound like a Catholic...the truth from Scripture really hurts your ego..

Prince George, Canada

#543212 Jun 9, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
What difference does it make whether it is a wife or an idol?
The word god = idol.

You idolize your self as a god when you are certain that the god exists to idolize you.

Your ego works its magic in your brain.

Prince George, Canada

#543213 Jun 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not in the Bible...you are telling a lie... Scripture does not support such nonsense...
Scriptures supports every belief in existence.

The Protestants even found in the bible how God wanted them to kill "each other" as heretics.

Where they found it ... who knows ... and do you CARE???

Not likely.

You are too busy filling your ego with more nonsense that you found in the scriptures to in turn spew it out at others as universal truth.

Prince George, Canada

#543214 Jun 9, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
the truth from Scripture really hurts your ego..
... said the Muslim to the Jew.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#543215 Jun 9, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible is clear she received the Holy Ghost 33 yrs before Pentecost. Now, that doesnt mean she automatically knew the entire Gospel. Or that God didnt reveal truths in increments to the Blessed Mother..
Honestly, Preston, I don't know exactly what you teach. I been on here for three yrs, and I'm as confused as ever where the pastors, elders and Marges stand on Biblical teachings. This half God half man thing is something I've never heard. Is it an attempt to further separate the Blessed Mother from Christianity? I dunno... I have a hard time following your theology. All I learned from you all, is that you hate the Catholic Church. Its not like I havent asked questions either. The problem is that you cant answer them.
So what do you teach about the divinity of the Lord? Was Jesus not God Himself made manifest as one of us? Obviously still fully God... But Jesus was born as a baby; learned to walk, talk and build houses for a career. Then He was tortured and killed.... so obviously He was fully human too.
~~~
The Bible clearly states that Mary the mother of Jesus and His brothers were in the upper room

and no matter what you as A PRIME INFIDEL has to say about it ...You tell MULTIPLE LIES about Mary the mother of Jesus ...in order to protect the conjecture of your cult ..

If you love her as much as you claim...WHY DO YOU LIE ON HER AND HER FAMILY...

REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HER FAMILY EVEN EXISTED

Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Act 1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
Act 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.

Act 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said,(the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#543216 Jun 9, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
The Bible clearly states that Mary the mother of Jesus and His brothers were in the upper room
and no matter what you as A PRIME INFIDEL has to say about it ...You tell MULTIPLE LIES about Mary the mother of Jesus ...in order to protect the conjecture of your cult ..
If you love her as much as you claim...WHY DO YOU LIE ON HER AND HER FAMILY...
REFUSING TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HER FAMILY EVEN EXISTED
Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
Act 1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
Act 1:13 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.
Act 1:14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
Act 1:15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said,(the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,)
~~~~~~~~~

INFIDEL DEFINED

IN'FIDEL, a.[L. infidelis; in and fidelis; faithful.]

Unbelieving; disbelieving the inspiration of the Scriptures, or the divine institution of christianity.

The infidel writer is a great enemy to society.

IN'FIDEL, n. One who disbelieves the inspiration of the Scriptures, and the divine origin of christianity.

Location hidden

#543217 Jun 9, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~~~~~~
INFIDEL DEFINED
IN'FIDEL, a.[L. infidelis; in and fidelis; faithful.]
Unbelieving; disbelieving the inspiration of the Scriptures, or the divine institution of christianity.
The infidel writer is a great enemy to society.
IN'FIDEL, n. One who disbelieves the inspiration of the Scriptures, and the divine origin of christianity.
Infidel:
disbelieving, i.e. without Christian faith (specially, a heathen); (passively) untrustworthy (person), or incredible (thing):--that believeth not, faithless, incredible thing, infidel, unbeliever(-ing)

There are English dictionaries that define English words...there are Greek lexicons that define Greek words from which English words were translated....there are Hebrew lexicons that define Hebrew words from which English words were translated....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News James Inhofe to Pope Francis: Shut up with your... 2 hr Earthling-1 41
News Milwaukee Art Museum's embrace of condom portra... Mon The Anti- Islamist 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jun 27 Gee Tee 9,522
News Pope's Leaked Encyclical on Climate Change Has ... Jun 26 Buybull Mullahs 6
News Global warming deniers unimpressed with pope's ... Jun 26 Earthling-1 118
News Pope urges revolution to save Earth, fix 'perve... Jun 25 Sterkfontein Swar... 30
News Delamaide: Pope joins bank critics Jun 23 Eleanor 1
More from around the web