Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 591376 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#542809 Jun 7, 2014
Abraham Lincoln was very much a white supremacist and didn't try to hide it either.
>>>>>>> >>>

Lincoln stated that Negroes had the rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" in the first of the Lincoln-Douglas debates.[15] Publicly, Lincoln said he was against Negro suffrage in his speech in Columbus, Ohio on September 16, 1859.[10]:d

Total equality was another matter. He did not say they had a right to complete equality with white American citizens. In the September 18, 1858 debate, Lincoln said:

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And in as much as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_...

Prince George, Canada

#542810 Jun 7, 2014
Juan Ginés de Sepúlveda argued that, during the Valladolid controversy in the middle of the 16th century, the Native Americans were natural slaves because they had no souls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

The idea of slavery as an "equal-opportunity employer" was denounced with the introduction of Christian theory in the West. Maintaining that Africans were "subhuman" was the only loophole in the then accepted law that "men are created equal" that would allow for the sustenance of the Triangular Trade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#542811 Jun 7, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Liam"]<quote d text>
Excellent post. Reggie, with an upper case "R".
Funny, you brought that up last week. There is definitely a psychological reason why Preston won't capitalize your name. Its a way for him to demoralize you; break you down into less of a person than him. Its a control thing. The man made a career controlling people. Especially woman, is my guess. You are the one he hates more than anybody. That's because your are an intelligent woman, and you refute his arguments. Woman have smaller brains then men in his world. Lol. Heck, Mary was an idiot... Jesus wouldn't even call her "Mother". He called her "woman" because she was stupid. I mean, that's this clowns mindset.
----------
READ, Clay...and you will see two things about your post. You used his lower case 'reggie' to accuse him of disrespect toward her, without noticing his lower case of his own name:'atemcowboy'.
You also failed to notice that Jesus called Mary 'woman', not 'Mother'.
You failed to be knowledgeable in history enough to know that using the term "woman" is title of respect. Even your protestant bible commentators say that. You should quit trying to be a paper pope.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#542812 Jun 7, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Theocratic societies never worked,and the reason being,it is not God's will to influence our lives by way of a government dictatorship. Political power and the lust for materialism always grips human endeavor.Since those elements are not of God's eternal kingdom,the failure of man to walk in step with pure truth prohibits us from ruling the masses here on earth.
Church systems that controlled countries were in direct opposition to the Sovereignty of God to begin with.There is nothing in Scripture that tells us we must set up a theocratic government ruled by our ministers,or priests and so on. The Jewish Nation was the only one chosen to have God as Sovereign king,and by their choice they replaced God with an earthly king,Saul being the first. He still had to trust in God,but he disobeyed God more than he trusted in Him,so Israel suffered many losses.David replaced him eventually,and although David at times disobeyed God,he brought the Jewish people into the greatest time in their history,so much so that Solomon was able to reign without any interference from the enemies of Israel his whole reign.
The gentile nations are not capable of following through with theocratic governments being to diverse and having long histories of pagan rule.
I do not believe it was ever God's will to set up the Roman See or Vatican,but that He allowed such as for the glory of Man,which most of you on this forum never mention or even scratch the surface.The glory of Man is the basis for kingdoms,and sovereign ties ruled by MEN.God has always allowed for the glory of Man,because He instilled in us the abilities to rule and govern,but sin and evil intent are always going to corrupt that which could be a blessing rather than a curse.The very fact that some nations on this planet are successful in creating fairly decent societies,has nothing to do with whether or not they adhere to a strong creed,but the shear fact that God gave to MAN the tools to lead all throughout history,and Man must answer for how they LEAD. Judgment will be a staggering time for humans,as past -present and future will be judged for all of its sins,and be commended for its positive as well. God will JUDGE,but He will judge in righteousness and truth,with the wisdom that KNOWS all,and is in all already. For MAN knows when he (she) has done rightly or the opposite,it is instilled in us by God,we choose even the outcome when we go astray from the right,it is just that simple.
Your atheism has no foundation June,it will be ultimately judged by the Creator you refuse to believe in.
Jewish nation... Gentile nations... blah, blah. blah. Somehow your little god forgot the Chinese nation, the Indian nation, and virtually every other Asian nation

You WISH your delusional, angry god would judge those who don't share your delusion.

That would include June, myself, and the vast majority of humans who have ever lived.

How does one rationally construct such a small, angry little "Creator of the entire Universe" in their mind? I just don't get it.

My one true God is the God of everyone.

peace and love,

ramen
Pad

Rockford, IL

#542814 Jun 7, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop being like Rose who always goes off on a diversionary rant unrelated to the specific question I'm asking. The term "catholic" has been used since the 1st century to describe the Church. You insist on re-labeling it ROMAN Catholic in an attempt to isolate it from the rest of the Church. It isn't this way now, nor has it ever been.
As I said Dan, it doesn't matter what you think of Catholic doctrine. If you agreed with it you'd be Catholic. Please address my question directly.
Were the early Church Christians Catholic in membership and belief or did they hold the beliefs of the reformers and today's,(now unrecognizable to the reformers) evangelical fundamentalism, and if so can you produce any evidence that they existed?
All smoke screens in your question,(now unrecognizable)(evangelical fundamentalism)(reformers),lab els put on people that questioned the practices of the S T A T E religious system of their day.

You hide behind Catholic,because the word came up or surfaced in early church history.Do you know for a fact that everything the Catholics did prior Vatican was 100% in alignment with the Bible? Oh God forbid that we should even bring the Bible into this.

What do we find in Paul's teachings,and in Peter's for that matter,WARNINGS. False Apostles and false teachers were present even before both Apostles were martyred. The Catholic church may have been something which united all Christians back than,because easily understood communication and the ability to quickly fellowship with each other was often an impossibility.

Identifying by labels has always been the rule of human bonding. Christians in North Africa on reading the similar apologies and testimonies of their brethren in Europe,would be eager to agree that they should be called Catholic as it cemented or sealed a heavenly bond within their hearts. AND for the most part many believers who identified with being Catholic could not identify with being early Jewish believers of Yeshua,so they embraced their brethren who received the same message of the gospel from other gentile believers who were labeled as Catholic rather than Jewish converts to Yeshua.Which of course they were not,but found themselves being part of a larger picture of converts to God in Christ. Rites and practices often followed customs,and they mixed as long as foreign deities were not included,but that only Christ was glorified in them.Paul admonished the Galatians because they adhered to times,dates and festivals even after they received of the truth of Christ.

So after the death of the Apostles,yes major teachings doctrines and faith in HIM no doubt remained in many,as they would have not been able to endure persecution otherwise.But that does not put the Catholic identity on some special pedestal which we now see these days as an arrogant affront to all believers regardless of affiliation.YES you are a Roman Catholic,because your allegiance is to Rome Anthony,you have the whole system of Rome and its stronghold of persuasion over you,and it is up to you to either see it strictly as from Christ Himself or just another MAN-MADE system which was built to the glory of Man.

God does not set up kingdoms of man-made systems to rule over believers,He through His Holy Spirit rules in the hearts of men and women yielded to Him by His grace and in faith,which is a gift of God.That is not evangelical fundamentalism,it is Scripture.The RCC has built a huge library of casting labels and separate identities to distinguish itself from it."Separated Brethren" is just another title for setting the RCC as the supreme authority over all of Christianity.It has nothing to do with the truth of what we experience in Scripture.

Whether a thousand years ago Christians called themselves Catholics has no bearing on the truth of what happens to us who repent and give ourselves to Christ.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#542815 Jun 7, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Michael"]<qu oted text>
ReginaM.
.........Secrecy, unmarked mass grave 796 victims. The young mothers were treated as sub human, their children taken from them, and if the children by age 7 were healthy they were placed in catholic workshops and to work as slave labor for free. Disgusting!!!... Do you agree?
----------
CC's believe that un-baptized and especially illegitimate babies, and their unwed mothers are lost. They teach that they are 'saved' by the Eucharist, but those aforementioned 'souls' are denied the Eucharist..thus, in their mind, they are forever lost, and are unworthy of salvation.
That's a bald faced lie. Do you really think Jesus approves of what you're doing here?
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#542816 Jun 7, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal faith in the idea that one's own religion is the only owner of universal truth is NOT great.
It teaches devotees to be self-righteous and brings out the WORST in human nature!
OK, I am indeed self-righteous, but sweet :o)

Come to the string.

ramen
Pad

Rockford, IL

#542817 Jun 7, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Where in the world did you get that from? No, that isn't why we have bibles, Dan. How ludicrous.
Ever heard of the catacombs? Iconoclasm has been soundly defeated, thank God for education and obedience to the scriptures which when correctly interpreted by the Church from whence they came say that the Church is the pillar and ground of the truth....not the bible.
And please do consider giving all that ignorant talk of "paganism" a rest. It's not endearing you to Christ or man. It simply sounds backwards.
Paganism is the greatest infiltrator of all systems,my not speaking about it Regina will not change that fact. The Bible is not just a resource book about the things of God,it is His inerrant Word,and I am glad to say that it is more than enough for me. Christ is not to be shadowed by the many words of men and women throughout history,but clearly herald for what He is in truth through the Word.Spare me your Catholic authorship,I know better Regina. The authors of God's Word starts with the inspiration of the Father to the Prophets and eventually to the Apostles along with Luke.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#542818 Jun 7, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
Funny, you brought that up last week. There is definitely a psychological reason why Preston won't capitalize your name. Its a way for him to demoralize you; break you down into less of a person than him. Its a control thing. The man made a career controlling people. Especially woman, is my guess. You are the one he hates more than anybody. That's because your are an intelligent woman, and you refute his arguments. Woman have smaller brains then men in his world. Lol. Heck, Mary was an idiot... Jesus wouldn't even call her "Mother". He called her "woman" because she was stupid. I mean, that's this clowns mindset.
----------
READ, Clay...and you will see two things about your post. You used his lower case 'reggie' to accuse him of disrespect toward her, without noticing his lower case of his own name:'atemcowboy'.
No, Kay, actually Liam is correct. You don't have the whole picture, however Liam does. As for the Blessed Mother, he knows full well she was called woman, but not out of disrespect which is what Preston claims. His behavior on this board is indefensible, and has been since long before you started posting here. We know what we're talking about, so maybe it would be best to stop encouraging it.

Prince George, Canada

#542819 Jun 7, 2014
The Puritans started the ku klux klan because they were certain that GOD saw the issues the same way they saw the issues.

If GOD said in the bible that Africans and Native Indians had no souls ... then slavery was not offensive to GOD.

If GOD said in the BIBLE that homosexuals were offensive to GOD, then it was acceptable TO GOD to write into the books of earthly laws that GOD ordained that homosexuals MUST be put to death to remove evil from the world.

The Puritans wrote the words that they then read back to their selves as being based on GOD'S universal truth.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#542820 Jun 7, 2014
marge wrote:
Yes, Catholics do practice a form of idolatry, in violation of God’s command. The best way to reach our Catholic friends snipped for idiocy.
Umm, no we don't!
Though shall not bear false witness.

Marge, do you think there are any consequences for deliberately breaking the ten commandments?
We dont worship statues....how come that's not the end of it? Is your bong in the form of a statue? If your friend had a Buddha bong, and you hit it, would you think you guys were worshipping it?
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#542821 Jun 7, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
who="Michael"]<qu oted text>
ReginaM.
.........Secrecy, unmarked mass grave 796 victims. The young mothers were treated as sub human, their children taken from them, and if the children by age 7 were healthy they were placed in catholic workshops and to work as slave labor for free. Disgusting!!!... Do you agree?
----------
CC's believe that un-baptized and especially illegitimate babies, and their unwed mothers are lost. They teach that they are 'saved' by the Eucharist, but those aforementioned 'souls' are denied the Eucharist..thus, in their mind, they are forever lost, and are unworthy of salvation.
No, that's a lie, that isn't what we believe.

Btw, have you seen the latest news reports? Apparently gossip mongering, anti-Catholic bigots have twisted the historians words and created an almost completely fabricated story. She's quite upset about all this and is denying that she said most of what's being spread by said gossip mongers.
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#542822 Jun 7, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>Struck a nerve? I hope so ramen! As to the way anyone prays that is a matter of importance between them and God isn't it? Do you now decide that people should pray according to your delusion,and your true god? You end many of your posts with a reference to a true god, has he or she answered your prayers yet? AND guess what many men who have ended up with AIDS,but turned their lives over to God sought healing,in some cases they were healed,but in other cases they found the PEACE that passes all understanding and they repented of their sinful rebellion against God's laws,they passed on,but they knew that eternally they would be with the LORD. There is much to be said for transformed lives.
BTW,I am not angry with you,and I do not believe that I have the right to pass judgment on you either.Nor will I condemn anyone.God is Judge,because He being the Creator decides the fate of all those who either follow Him or do not.That is the issue you struggle with in your subconscious. You can lambast us Christians all you want,but deep within you is the heart of the matter,either you are for HIM or against HIM.
Now you're angry because I ask us to pray together -- for something magnanimous.

*** Dear Jesus, we ask in your name as we are told to do in the Bible. Please cure all AIDS and cancer in all children worldwide tomorrow -- just once, to show us your power and love. Amen ***

Why not? lol

ramen
Pad

Rockford, IL

#542823 Jun 7, 2014
Gods r Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Jewish nation... Gentile nations... blah, blah. blah. Somehow your little god forgot the Chinese nation, the Indian nation, and virtually every other Asian nation
You WISH your delusional, angry god would judge those who don't share your delusion.
That would include June, myself, and the vast majority of humans who have ever lived.
How does one rationally construct such a small, angry little "Creator of the entire Universe" in their mind? I just don't get it.
My one true God is the God of everyone.
peace and love,
ramen
That includes the both of us,I am as much in the dark about your rants as well,you mention god,than you claim an atheistic line.You still have not shared with me,what you believe.Personally I believe you don't know and it is easier for you to attack us,because it somehow gives you some inner glow as to your self righteous beliefs whatever they are. Come on deluded,you can call us deluded,but you really do not consider yourself deluded,but yet you unabashedly attack the beliefs of Christians.Somehow your god you allude to wants you to share his greatness with us,so that we too can know the truth you hold from him(her) whatever?
Pad

Rockford, IL

#542824 Jun 7, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
The Puritans started the ku klux klan because they were certain that GOD saw the issues the same way they saw the issues.
If GOD said in the bible that Africans and Native Indians had no souls ... then slavery was not offensive to GOD.
If GOD said in the BIBLE that homosexuals were offensive to GOD, then it was acceptable TO GOD to write into the books of earthly laws that GOD ordained that homosexuals MUST be put to death to remove evil from the world.
The Puritans wrote the words that they then read back to their selves as being based on GOD'S universal truth.
Oh please share all Scriptures where the bible states that God said Africans and Native Indians do not have souls,please June?

Prince George, Canada

#542825 Jun 7, 2014
The Catholic church fathers wrote the new testament and then they used the same words from the new testament to read back to their selves as being based on absolute truth.

All theologians played the same games with their own mentality.

"I'll write the words and then I'll read the words back to me
And as I create my own illusion ... how very proud I'll BE."
Gods r Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#542826 Jun 7, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your KJV bible was compiled as truth by men of the same mindset as the ku klux klan.
Are you willing to admit to your self that your impressions of universal truth might have a false base???
lol, that would call for introspection with integrity and a critical eye.

Who can do that when they "know" the mind of god?

Except for me of course :o)

ramen

“OneLordOneFaith Eph4:5”

Since: Apr 08

Saint John Paul II Pray 4 Us.

#542827 Jun 7, 2014
KayMarie wrote:
----------
You failed to read Mt 12 where Jesus says when dying on the cross "behold your MOTHER"

Blessed Mother was at the foot of the cross.

Prince George, Canada

#542828 Jun 7, 2014
Imagine how proud the Puritans were when a king wanted THEM to write a BIBLE.

It didn't get much better than THAT in the quest to feed the ego that it knew universal truth.

Those men probably popped all their buttons on their cloths ... so GREAT was their PRIDE.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#542829 Jun 7, 2014
Pad wrote:
<quoted text>All smoke screens in your question,(now unrecognizable)(evangelical fundamentalism)(reformers),lab els put on people that questioned the practices of the S T A T E religious system of their day.
You hide behind Catholic,because the word came up or surfaced in early church history.Do you know for a fact that everything the Catholics did prior Vatican was 100% in alignment with the Bible? Oh God forbid that we should even bring the Bible into this.
What do we find in Paul's teachings,and in Peter's for that matter,WARNINGS. False Apostles and false teachers were present even before both Apostles were martyred. The Catholic church may have been something which united all Christians back than,because easily understood communication and the ability to quickly fellowship with each other was often an impossibility.
Identifying by labels has always been the rule of human bonding. Christians in North Africa on reading the similar apologies and testimonies of their brethren in Europe,would be eager to agree that they should be called Catholic as it cemented or sealed a heavenly bond within their hearts. AND for the most part many believers who identified with being Catholic could not identify with being early Jewish believers of Yeshua,so they embraced their brethren who received the same message of the gospel from other gentile believers who were labeled as Catholic rather than Jewish converts to Yeshua.Which of course they were not,but found themselves being part of a larger picture of converts to God in Christ. Rites and practices often followed customs,and they mixed as long as foreign deities were not included,but that only Christ was glorified in them.Paul admonished the Galatians because they adhered to times,dates and festivals even after they received of the truth of Christ.
So after the death of the Apostles,yes major teachings doctrines and faith in HIM no doubt remained in many,as they would have not been able to endure persecution otherwise.But that does not put the Catholic identity on some special pedestal which we now see these days as an arrogant affront to all believers regardless of affiliation.YES you are a Roman Catholic,because your allegiance is to Rome Anthony,you have the whole system of Rome and its stronghold of persuasion over you,and it is up to you to either see it strictly as from Christ Himself or just another MAN-MADE system which was built to the glory of Man.
God does not set up kingdoms of man-made systems to rule over believers,He through His Holy Spirit rules in the hearts of men and women yielded to Him by His grace and in faith,which is a gift of God.That is not evangelical fundamentalism,it is Scripture.The RCC has built a huge library of casting labels and separate identities to distinguish itself from it."Separated Brethren" is just another title for setting the RCC as the supreme authority over all of Christianity.It has nothing to do with the truth of what we experience in Scripture.
Whether a thousand years ago Christians called themselves Catholics has no bearing on the truth of what happens to us who repent and give ourselves to Christ.
What ties you to other protestant Christians Dan? Your belief in the bible alone? What are the protestant approved "basics" of Christian belief Dan? Who has declared them? Are all protestants bound to them? Does being Christian even require a certain creed or dogmatic belief?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Scales Off 9,432
News Rick Santorum blasts Pope Francis as 'not credi... 9 hr Fehtolii 2
News Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... 15 hr ELIAS IBARRA 16
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 16 hr ELIAS IBARRA 26
News As ideology fades in Cuba, spirituality and pop... Mon L I G E R 1
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) Mon KristoFMYsagun 14
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Mon pazuzu 68
More from around the web