Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 673294 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#535353 May 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If she came here to answer questions, I would agree with you. But she comes here to converse with those who agree with her and to completely ignore to answer the questions asked of her.
She's not the first person in history to have a lot on her plate and if she is THAT overloaded, I suggest she wouldn't HAVE time to converse on a forum.
I suggest you should try being realistic for a change.
I suggest she don't wanna talk to June. Why does it make you angry cause she don't wanna hear your opinion? Of course one will talk to the ones that agree on things. you don't really talk to anyone. you always SUGGEST like someone actually takes you serious or gives a shyt what you SUGGEST. did you ever think of that? you seem to think it's a bad thing that that woman has other things to do, than just sit on the computer listening to you SUGGEST shyt!
Gods R Delusions x Mine

Orlando, FL

#535354 May 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They always cover for the supposed ILL-behavior of the god, by claiming that it has it's "reasons" for not wanting to end the suffering.
YUCK!
I'm just saying that if we are going to try prayer, why not pray for something that no true loving god can say "no" to.

OK, everybody -- Dear God (however you know him), please end cancer in children under 12.

Ramen

Or is there no loving god who answers such prayers, so why bother?

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#535355 May 6, 2014
All people of religion on this forum are certain they are qualified to give opinions on behalf of the source of all wisdom ... yet none of you agree about what the source of wisdom has given you to in turn pass on to others.

Hahahahahahaha

I suggest that wisdom is a myth.

Humans are pathetic creatures indeed!
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#535356 May 6, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
The Fathers of the Church also accept as a matter of course the prayers and the intercession of all the saints.
In one of his letters, St. Basil explicitly writes that he accepts the intercession of the apostles, prophets and martyrs, and he seeks their prayers to God (Letter 360). Then, speaking about the Forty Martyrs, who suffered martyrdom for Christ, he emphasizes that "they are common friends of the human race, strong ambassadors and collaborators in fervent prayers" (Chapter 8). St. Gregory of Nyssa asks St. Theodore the Martyr "to fervently pray to our Common King, our God, for the country and the people" (Encomium to Martyr Theodore). The same language is used by St. Gregory the Theologian in his encomium to St. Cyprian. St. John Chrysostom says that we should seek the intercession and the fervent prayers of the saints, because they have special "boldness" (parresia), before God.(Gen. 44:2 and Encomium to Julian, Iuventinus and Maximinus, 3).
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8044
First Regina none of these quotes are even close to the Apostles.
Second they must be judged in light of Scripture and should they fail the biblical test and contradict Scripture the teachings must be rejected.

However neither of these quotes advocates praying to DEAD Saints, if you come away with that it can only be because you read into the text what you wanted to hear.

To seek the intercession of Saints in the context is the living saints as we are commanded in the Bible to do but not to pray to DEAD saints and there is no biblical example for this only Biblical examples contrary to doing this.

Prince George, Canada

#535357 May 6, 2014
pusherman_ wrote:
<quoted text> I suggest she don't wanna talk to June.
OH you are wrong. She preaches at me and insults me occasionally by stating that a god loves me, even though she knows I'm an Atheist, but she won't hang around to answer my "sticky" questions.

She just wants to be pitied for having such hardship in her life ... and she wants to be praised and told how wise and saved she is for choosing to believe in Jesus.

She preaches at me, but won't converse with me, as she suddenly "has to go to work."

Prince George, Canada

#535358 May 6, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just saying that if we are going to try prayer, why not pray for something that no true loving god can say "no" to.
OK, everybody -- Dear God (however you know him), please end cancer in children under 12.
Ramen
Or is there no loving god who answers such prayers, so why bother?
They know one thing for sure. If there IS a god he's a nasty son of a b*tch, and that is WHY they grovel and defend it's image ... in the hopes that the god won't be mean to them.

Religion is not only deceptive ... it robs humans of self-esteem and the ability to ask questions of their own dogmas ... and THAT is not good.

As you can plainly see, they not only ask questions of other people's dogmas, they slander the dogmas as lies ... but they stick to the dogmas in their own cults for dear life.

They are comparable to frightened bet-wetting children that a god is going to punish them if they don't OBEY!!!
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535359 May 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Annulments are a Catholic Joke.
I suggest have a divorce and get it over with.
If two people make each other miserable, why should they spend their lives in misery simply because old men in dresses in a church made rules by their own wills.??
They did get a civil divorce. One cannot get an annulment without being civilly divorced first.

The annulment only pertains to the sacramentality of the union.

Your comments indicate that you don't know what a Church annulment is. Don't worry, you have lots of company.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535360 May 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
First Regina none of these quotes are even close to the Apostles.
Second they must be judged in light of Scripture and should they fail the biblical test and contradict Scripture the teachings must be rejected.
However neither of these quotes advocates praying to DEAD Saints, if you come away with that it can only be because you read into the text what you wanted to hear.
To seek the intercession of Saints in the context is the living saints as we are commanded in the Bible to do but not to pray to DEAD saints and there is no biblical example for this only Biblical examples contrary to doing this.
Look, you asked specifically for "Church Fathers", and I gave them to you. I even included inscriptions from the catacombs (very early Christianity). You're back peddling now.

It would be good if you could show us some Christians from those early years who believed as you do.
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#535361 May 6, 2014
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to go through my fellow Christian for intercession to obtain the joys of everlasting life. I go through Jesus Christ.
Intercession from the virgin Mary to obtain the joys of everlasting life is still a lie from the pit of Hell....sorry.
What is even more amazing is it was never taught in the Early Church.

Jesus said he would send the Holy Spirit to remind them of ALL ALL ALL he taught.

NOT one Apostle or early Church father who knew the Apostles ever taught praying to Mary or anyone dead for that matter.

All examples are to God and to dead people all be it alive in the Spirit forbidden.

Something of this magnitude if truth and beneficial to man was never taught by Jesus His Apostles or the Apostles Disciples. cmon. thats nuts.

Yet Rome claims Holy Tradition that what they practice today was always practiced.

Yet again Bishops of Rome that the RCC claims today as their Popes in the 4 5 6 centuries said the Assumption was bunk heretical and those who taught it Heretics.

Yet today it is mandatory to believe or you go to Hell

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#535362 May 6, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think they rake in much on bingos or cake sales anymore. When mass attendance is at an all time low, most people are doing other things than waiting to hear someone scream G 48!!! so they could win a stuffed animal.
When I was growing up in the catholic system, I often remember our Monsignor telling the parishioners" we need more money, many parishioners are not doing their fare share in supporting the church he would scream" . 10% was the norm.
I believe there are tithing parishes in america where everyone is obliged to give 10%.
The roman catholic church is by far the largest holder of real estate in the world bar none.
Maybe its time to cash in and divide it all up! If thats the case I'm back in.(lol)
I remember this like it was yesterday..donations were simply not coming in...the priest decided to charge .10 admission for Sunday mass....my Dad told him he pays on Saturday nite to go in the local dance hall, but he would never pay admission to hear mass....we went home...behind several horse/buggies doing the same

Next Sunday...no charge to hear mass...

And....if you wanted a seat to attend mass...you paid a yearly fee for your pew...or you stood up!!!!! We mainly stood up.....
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535363 May 6, 2014
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Regina" <quoted text>
No, Kay, calling me childish and putting me down does not disguise the fact that you like to fling mud at the Church every chance you get. To what purpose would you post such articles if not to point at someone else and say "Look at what THEY did", rather than to address the problems in your own backyard? Your motives are not altruistic.
I was pointing out that the UN is being absurd and is surely not credible given the fact that they also consider it "torture" to deny women access to abortions. Not "pointing elsewhere". Yet you still refuse to decry their injustice against the unborn and would rather ridicule me. That says far more about you. But that seems to be a typical tactic among the fundies here. You might want to rethink your behavior.
----------
Regina...I didn't fling mud at the CC...just pointed out a couple of news items. If the CC doesn't want the 'mud', they should stop stirring it up.
I am opposed to abortion, and the U.N is not even worth honorable mention.
Ridicule YOU ??? I didn't even direct my post to you!
KayMarie
My dear, do I have to quote your post addressed to me wherein you ridiculed my actions as childish? Please don't do that, it's not nice.

To what end did you point out those news items? The Church is not stirring up mud as much as the media is holding her every move under a microscope and often misreporting about her. In this case, it's the UN who is being utterly absurd with their "torture" assessment and demands. They are so transparent it's laughable....and you fell for it. That part is sad.

As for the nuns....there is contingent of US nuns that indeed need to be reined in or else they need to disassociate themselves from the Church. They have taken it upon themselves to flout Church teaching on such matters as same sex marriage, abortion, and women's ordination. There are many lovely religious orders that have been receiving so many new postulants that they don't have the room and they're expanding their living space. These orders tend to be those who take the traditional habit. There's a lot of spirituality associated with that; it's beautiful and the fruit is born out in the increase of applicants. These orders are growing! Praise God!

Location hidden

#535364 May 6, 2014
The hidden exodus: Catholics becoming Protestants

The principal reasons given by people who leave the church to become Protestant are that their “spiritual needs were not being met” in the Catholic church (71 percent) and they “found a religion they like more”(70 percent). Eighty-one percent of respondents say they joined their new church because they enjoy the religious service and style of worship of their new faith.

In other words, the Catholic church has failed to deliver what people consider fundamental products of religion: spiritual sustenance and a good worship service. And before conservatives blame the new liturgy, only 11 percent of those leaving complained that Catholicism had drifted too far from traditional practices such as the Latin Mass.

Dissatisfaction with how the church deals with spiritual needs and worship services dwarfs any disagreements over specific doctrines. While half of those who became Protestants say they left because they stopped believing in Catholic teaching, specific questions get much lower responses. Only 23 percent said they left because of the church’s teaching on abortion and homosexuality; only 23 percent because of the church’s teaching on divorce; only 21 percent because of the rule that priests cannot marry; only 16 percent because of the church’s teaching on birth control; only 16 percent because of the way the church treats women; only 11 percent because they were unhappy with the teachings on poverty, war and the death penalty.

And Togo said there is no dissension in his cult!!!!
concerned in Brasil

Europe

#535365 May 6, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, you asked specifically for "Church Fathers", and I gave them to you. I even included inscriptions from the catacombs (very early Christianity). You're back peddling now.
It would be good if you could show us some Christians from those early years who believed as you do.
I specifically asked for in the first 3 centuries.

You have given me quotes that do not advocate praying to dead saints.

I pray for the dead Saints on Oct 31, all saints day, I don't pray to them, I give thanks to God that he raised them up and that they fought the good fight that brings the Gospel to me today.

Praying for them, giving thanks for them by praying to God is different then praying to them.

By the Forth century there were all sorts of novel doctrines swirling around like from Arius
So I like closer to the horses mouth so to speak
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535366 May 6, 2014
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH you are wrong. She preaches at me and insults me occasionally by stating that a god loves me, even though she knows I'm an Atheist, but she won't hang around to answer my "sticky" questions.
She just wants to be pitied for having such hardship in her life ... and she wants to be praised and told how wise and saved she is for choosing to believe in Jesus.
She preaches at me, but won't converse with me, as she suddenly "has to go to work."
June, cut her some slack. You're being deliberately cruel. The woman is in pain. Now cut it out.

Location hidden

#535367 May 6, 2014
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
My dear, do I have to quote your post addressed to me wherein you ridiculed my actions as childish? Please don't do that, it's not nice.
To what end did you point out those news items? The Church is not stirring up mud as much as the media is holding her every move under a microscope and often misreporting about her. In this case, it's the UN who is being utterly absurd with their "torture" assessment and demands. They are so transparent it's laughable....and you fell for it. That part is sad.
As for the nuns....there is contingent of US nuns that indeed need to be reined in or else they need to disassociate themselves from the Church. They have taken it upon themselves to flout Church teaching on such matters as same sex marriage, abortion, and women's ordination. There are many lovely religious orders that have been receiving so many new postulants that they don't have the room and they're expanding their living space. These orders tend to be those who take the traditional habit. There's a lot of spirituality associated with that; it's beautiful and the fruit is born out in the increase of applicants. These orders are growing! Praise God!
There is no one thing mentioned in the Bible about nuns....this is a man-made screw up....
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535368 May 6, 2014
concerned in Brasil wrote:
<quoted text>
I specifically asked for in the first 3 centuries.
You have given me quotes that do not advocate praying to dead saints.
I pray for the dead Saints on Oct 31, all saints day, I don't pray to them, I give thanks to God that he raised them up and that they fought the good fight that brings the Gospel to me today.
Praying for them, giving thanks for them by praying to God is different then praying to them.
By the Forth century there were all sorts of novel doctrines swirling around like from Arius
So I like closer to the horses mouth so to speak
The saints are not dead. The quotes include prayers from the early Church to the saints Alive in heaven with God. He is the God of the living, yes?

All Saints' Day is November 1. And there's no reason for you to pray *for* them as they're already in heaven. The rest of that paragraph is very nice; we should give thanks to God. They are the Cloud of Witnesses who in their charity want to bring us to heaven to live with God and themselves for all eternity.

The saints are the Church Triumphant! They've fought the good fight as you say, and through the mercy of God have "made it". We are the Church Militant, still slinging it out day after day, still fighting (with the help of their prayers to God on our behalf). The Communion of Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

You will never get closer to the horse's mouth than the Church Christ founded, the Catholic Church. The Church does not have earthly limits. Don't forget...the Church Triumphant in heaven!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#535369 May 6, 2014
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
We were there before 120 AD. The Christian church predates the Roman church. Thank you for asking.
By the way, where does the Bible tell us about the "communion of saints"?
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what the Mormons and JW's say too. And like you they claim to be the Christians described in scripture. The problem for all of you protestants is that there's no proof of your existence outside of scripture until 1500 years later.
On the other hand, 2000 years of evidence shows Catholicism was there from the beginning. How is that possible?
You said, quote, "On the other hand, 2000 years of evidence shows Catholicism was there from the beginning. How is that possible?" End quote.

Really? Where can I find anyone ever using the word "Catholicism". This is another made up word as is "transubstantiation" . You Romans are very good at telling fairy tales. Much of your theology is fairy tales. Well, at least you excel at something.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#535370 May 6, 2014
OldJG wrote:
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
We were there before 120 AD. The Christian church predates the Roman church. Thank you for asking.
By the way, where does the Bible tell us about the "communion of saints"?
<quoted text>
You said, quote, "On the other hand, 2000 years of evidence shows Catholicism was there from the beginning. How is that possible?" End quote.
Really? Where can I find anyone ever using the word "Catholicism". This is another made up word as is "transubstantiation" . You Romans are very good at telling fairy tales. Much of your theology is fairy tales. Well, at least you excel at something.
Clarification.....Where can I find anyone in the BIBLE using the word "Catholicism"? Just point it out to us. We will be here after you are done hiding.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#535371 May 6, 2014
who="Regina" <quoted text>

----------
The main point is that Protestants are accused of their "43,000" interpretations...but it seems that there are some different interpretations in the CC.

There are "many lovely" Protestants that are doing well, too.

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#535372 May 6, 2014
Here is another sick human joke!

"Universal truth!"

Imagine those old bedraggled men believing that the world is the whole universe and that the men with their pathetic mindsets of arrogance were masters of knowledge "concerning" the whole universe.

I suggest it's more than probably we started life as every other animals started life, and that there was nothing holy or evil about it whatsoever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 35 min ThineWillBeDone 10,476
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... Mar 22 sharona 406
News Pope Francis to visit Egypt on April 28-29: Vat... Mar 18 For an ISLAM-FREE... 1
News Pope Francis 'urges parents to have fewer child... Mar 18 Newt G s Next Rel... 24
News Benedict's Resignation: Blame Obama Mar 14 Texxy 1
News Pope discusses climate, immigrants in historic ... (Sep '15) Mar 13 Wall specialist 49
News The Real 'Muslim Ban' Is Happening in Muslim Co... Mar 6 synchronized 1
More from around the web