Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 668305 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#535047 May 5, 2014
Downsizing and the Catholic Church

In and around our nation's big cities, hundreds of Catholic parishes, schools and hospitals are consolidating and closing. Many of these institutions have long provided the foundation — as well as provided for the faith — of urban neighborhoods and immigrant communities.

In Manhattan's East Village, for example, St. Brigid's, which was closed in 2001, was built to be the spiritual home and social haven for refugees from the Irish potato famine more than 150 years ago. When plans to tear down the church were announced, preservationist groups sued Cardinal Edward Egan to block the demolition. Last month, an appeals court correctly dismissed the case.

At first glance, lawsuits like this are understandable. On reflection, though, we should see that such moves are misguided. Litigation comes easy to Americans, and we are used to righting perceived wrongs through the courts. However, because of our constitutional commitment to religious freedom, some hard decisions are just none of judges' business.

Stories about these closings and the emotional, often angry, reactions to them are becoming a newspaper staple. Last month, Saint Michael the Archangel, which has long served Polish-Americans in Boston, joined the more than 60 area parishes slated to be shut. As the Boston Globe reported, the final Mass was emotional and marked by prayer and protest. "This was a home away from home," said one young woman, an immigrant from Poland. In 2005, the last Catholic hospital in Brooklyn, St. Mary's, shut its doors after 123 years of service.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#535048 May 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
"High court ruling favors prayer at council meeting"
"Kennedy and his four colleagues in the majority all are Catholic. They are: Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas."
http://www.wtop.com/319/3616345/High-court-ru...
Amen. Enough is enough. People of faith have been getting stiff armed in this country for the last 20 yrs. Even non-Christians could care less if people pray in public. Heck, most atheist could care less.. It's this small small percentage of fascist radicals that are trying to impose their will on us, now it's finally back firing!

How's your day June and Michael? lol.
Michael

Canada

#535049 May 5, 2014
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
--you can believe and do what you want !!!!
...Well he does believe what he wants.
....... The real issue is why does that bother you? Why do you keep responding all upset and defensive if they are happy with the fullness in their lives?
,.......You continually criticize people who worship the same Jesus as you.
.....THATS. NOT. GOOD! in the eyes of God.

United States

#535050 May 5, 2014
-
guest wrote:
oops! Those pesky nuns! Causing all that trouble!
-
"Crackdown on US nuns continues under Pope Francis"
-
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/crackd ...
-
-
Michael wrote:
...The nuns molested no one yet they are under investigation by the church authorities, yet the bishops lied, and covered up the worst sins immaginable making complete fools of the followers yet no investigation of them.
..The church authorities hate women, that is why the church has crazy policies such as Jesus didn't choose women 2,000 years ago, so women can never be equal to men in the church and never be in charge.
...What loving God would teach that?
-
-
I'd like to remind everyone that there have been plenty of nuns who have been raped by priests.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#535051 May 5, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who tells the truth about the history of the carcinoma you refer to as a "church" is accused of having an "AGENDA". Get real will ya?
Your church is counter to everything Jesus ever preached or did.
You should be ashamed to even call it a "church".
I Second that..

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#535052 May 5, 2014
Continuated.....

The criticism came from a panel that examined the Vatican’s compliance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child, an international agreement signed by 140 sovereign entities, including the Vatican. The panel held a hearing on the issue last month, the first time the Vatican faced public examination by an international body of its record on sexual abuse, and heard testimony from Bishop Charles J. Scicluna, the Vatican’s chief prosecutor of sexual abuse cases until 2012, who told the panel that “the Holy See gets it.”

The report, issued in Geneva, addressed issues far beyond child sexual abuse, taking the Vatican to task for its opposition to contraception, homosexuality and abortion in cases of child rape and incest. The committee even suggested that the church amend its canon laws to permit abortions for pregnant girls whose lives and health are at risk.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535053 May 5, 2014
Thousands of New Catholics Prepare to Receive the Sacraments this Easter (USCCB - United States Conference of Catholic Bishops)

Archdiocese of Washington reports record numbers entering the Church, Galveston-Houston welcomes over 2,000 people, Easter Vigil rites will be held in English, Chinese, other languages in some communities.

WASHINGTON-A widower honoring his late wife and a Chinese graduate student are among the thousands of new Catholics joining the Catholic Church in the United States at Easter. All have participated in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA), a process of conversion and study in the Catholic faith for catechumens and candidates coming into full communion with the Church.
http://article.wn.com/view/2014/04/11/Thousan...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#535054 May 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>
But the Saints aren't dead. You and Dr. Minzi say their dead, but so what? You two aint the ones that get to decide!.
God gave John a peek inside Heaven, where the Saints were alive and bringing the prayers to the throne. Jesus said in Mathew 18:10 that guardian angels are always interceding on their behalf.
Since your hatred of the Roman Catholic Church makes your blood boil, I'll let our Orthodox brothers explain the Scriptures to you:
"Orthodox Christians do not think that any member of the Body of Christ is useless and cut off from the Body after falling asleep, but that God through the Holy Spirit and perhaps the ministry of angels, allows for the "spirits of the righteous made perfect in faith (Heb 12:24) to intercede for the living"
www.orthodoxanswers.org/answers/25/
LOL!
So...anytime the cathaholic fools decide ta make anyone a "saint", they magically come back ta life after all those years of rotting and putrefying huh?
I swear---you people are some of the best examples of mental midgets that ever existed. It is hard to believe ya even have (1) one single operating brain cell in your entire bio-organism!
It's just amazing that you can even function as a part of any level of intelligence in any society.
I am embarrassed to say you are even the same species as myself.
Michael

Canada

#535055 May 5, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
Downsizing and the Catholic Church
In and around our nation's big cities, hundreds of Catholic parishes, schools and hospitals are consolidating and closing. Many of these institutions have long provided the foundation — as well as provided for the faith — of urban neighborhoods and immigrant communities.
In Manhattan's East Village, for example, St. Brigid's, which was closed in 2001, was built to be the spiritual home and social haven for refugees from the Irish potato famine more than 150 years ago. When plans to tear down the church were announced, preservationist groups sued Cardinal Edward Egan to block the demolition. Last month, an appeals court correctly dismissed the case.
At first glance, lawsuits like this are understandable. On reflection, though, we should see that such moves are misguided. Litigation comes easy to Americans, and we are used to righting perceived wrongs through the courts. However, because of our constitutional commitment to religious freedom, some hard decisions are just none of judges' business.
Stories about these closings and the emotional, often angry, reactions to them are becoming a newspaper staple. Last month, Saint Michael the Archangel, which has long served Polish-Americans in Boston, joined the more than 60 area parishes slated to be shut. As the Boston Globe reported, the final Mass was emotional and marked by prayer and protest. "This was a home away from home," said one young woman, an immigrant from Poland. In 2005, the last Catholic hospital in Brooklyn, St. Mary's, shut its doors after 123 years of service.
..,.1965 there were 14,500 catholic churches in america. The indoctrinated population of catholics has increased substantially, but Catholics who follow church teachings, and attend mandatory Sunday mass are dropping even faster.

48 years later,...2013 there were still 14,500 catholic churches in america.

.....New churches are being built in new sub divisions as many old inner city historical churches haven't got enough followers anymore to pay the bills.

....If you divide 68 million catholics by 14,500 churches each church averages 4,500 followers. Now we know most churches have less than 1000 members attend Saturday night and Sunday worship services total, as on average 3,500 per parish stay home.

That's not good.

Location hidden

#535056 May 5, 2014
guest wrote:
-
-
What is written on the hearts of Catholics, worldwide?
I don't know.....but I figger it's prolly sumpth'n offen some truckstop bathroom wall after read'n some of the stuff they been writ'n here. What can ya expect out'a a money launder'n pedophile organization anahows?

Location hidden

#535057 May 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Disingenuous and lie? Here's the Assumption in the Orthodox's OWN words;
Question Number 12:
Do Orthodox believe in the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin which is a Roman Catholic dogma?
ANSWER:
Orthodox Christians observe the feast of the Dormition or Falling Asleep of the Theotokos on the same day (adjusted to calendar if applicable) as the Roman Catholic Church, and some Orthodox parishes are named "Assumption of the Virgin / Theotokos") although this is more of a Western expression. Orthodox Christians believe, not as a dogma but as an ecclesiastical conviction that the Theotokos was not in any sense of form captive to death and thus translated to the fullnest of life in Christ, body, soul and spirit. This belief in not dogmatized in the Orthodox Churches (as it was done by the Roman Catholic Church in 1950).
Disingenuous and lie?
ALL of the ancient Churches, Orthodox, Catholic, Oriental Orthodox teach infant baptism...so did most of your bible only reformers. Do you believe as your buddy William Webster stated that the entire early Church believed and taught baptism forgives sins and regenerates by the Holy Spirit? None of your fellow protestants do. But they're bible alone, so how can that be? Lol.
Disingenuous and lie?
ALL of the ancient Churches, Orthodox, Catholic, Oriental Orthodox teach that Mary is ever virgin, NO other children by Mary. They are either cousins or step siblings. And....so did most of your bible only reformers.
Disingenuous and lie?
Let's talk about that. I have challenged you to produce history scholars that say 40million killed. You've said as much as 100 million at one point. You've repeated this so many times I would have to assume you've got the link at your finger tips.
Disingenuous and lie?
You said you believed as the Church fathers believed. I've been asking you a lot longer for the name of one Father that was an evangelical fundamentalist who believed as you and you've refused.
Yes, you are disingenuous and a liar.
I don't know....Is the orthodox church being accused of money laundering and pedophelia like the cathaholics.
Michael

Canada

#535058 May 5, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
Why do people leave the Catholic church to become Protestant? Liberal Catholics will tell you that Catholics are leaving because they disagree with the church’s teaching on birth control, women priests, divorce, the bishops’ interference in American politics, etc. Conservatives blame Vatican II, liberal priests and nuns, a permissive culture and the church’s social justice agenda.
One of the reasons there is such disagreement is that we tend to think that everyone leaves for the same reason our friends, relatives and acquaintances have left. We fail to recognize that different people leave for different reasons. People who leave to join Protestant churches do so for different reasons than those who become unaffiliated. People who become evangelicals are different from Catholics who become members of mainline churches.
...The catholic church is in chaos and is dysfunctional...Just in the last 4 years priest unions are popping up in dioceses around the world, priests wanting more autonomy. there are over 100 catholic women who have formed groups being ordained priests/bishops defying church authority.

...last year we learned about the infighting within the ranks of the bishops/cardinals in the Vatican. It was called vati leaks.

....Google........priest association...or priest union.

....Google.......Catholic women ordained...

.......out of control and dysfunctional.
Liam

Saint Paul, MN

#535059 May 5, 2014
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
So...anytime the cathaholic fools decide ta make anyone a "saint", they magically come back ta life after all those years of rotting and putrefying huh?
I swear---you people are some of the best examples of mental midgets that ever existed. It is hard to believe ya even have (1) one single operating brain cell in your entire bio-organism!
It's just amazing that you can even function as a part of any level of intelligence in any society.
I am embarrassed to say you are even the same species as myself.
Well that's really nice of you black dude 42!
Michael

Canada

#535060 May 5, 2014
[QUOTE who="ReginaM."]The U.N. said it's psychological torture to deny a woman an abortion!
No wonder they're after the Church!![/QUOTE]

.....ReginaM.......why don't you stop clucking. and write to the UN expressing your concerns? Telling us does nothing.
Michael

Canada

#535061 May 5, 2014
Liam wrote:
<quoted text>

How's your day June and Michael?
...My day was full and fruitful as usual. Yours was frustrating, angry and defensive...as usual.
Regina

Toms River, NJ

#535062 May 5, 2014
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
.....ReginaM.......why don't you stop clucking. and write to the UN expressing your concerns? Telling us does nothing.
Awww, what's the matter Agenda Boy, did Anthony hurt your ittle-wittle feelings?

Grow up.

Location hidden

#535063 May 5, 2014
Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you suggest I not consider converting to Catholicism?
Be my thought! LOL!
Chess

Columbus, OH

#535064 May 5, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Slither back under your favorite rock...lying snake..
Don't blame me for you being dishonest.'tard.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#535065 May 5, 2014
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The "lie" as you call it is also from the Eastern Orthodox, the Oriental Orthodox and all of the ancient Churches. Just remember when you call the "RCC" a liar for our doctrines you're calling them liars too.
Where was your fundie church in AD 120?
We were there before 120 AD. The Christian church predates the Roman church. Thank you for asking.

By the way, where does the Bible tell us about the "communion of saints"?
Chess

Columbus, OH

#535066 May 5, 2014
Oxbow wrote:
Why do people leave the Catholic church to become Protestant? Liberal Catholics will tell you that Catholics are leaving because they disagree with the church’s teaching on birth control, women priests, divorce, the bishops’ interference in American politics, etc. Conservatives blame Vatican II, liberal priests and nuns, a permissive culture and the church’s social justice agenda.
One of the reasons there is such disagreement is that we tend to think that everyone leaves for the same reason our friends, relatives and acquaintances have left. We fail to recognize that different people leave for different reasons. People who leave to join Protestant churches do so for different reasons than those who become unaffiliated. People who become evangelicals are different from Catholics who become members of mainline churches.
Cite your sources,'tard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 1 hr Imprtnrd 395
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 5 hr Just me 10,391
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jan 14 Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
News Preview: The Pope's Choir Dec '16 KenJr26 1
More from around the web