Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
515,841 - 515,860 of 532,518 Comments Last updated 10 min ago
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Gods R Delusions x Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
See the delusion yet?
I gave you historians, but you wanted scholars. So I gave you scholars and now they are not historical writers.
I have made my point.
Zero contemporary writers made mention of Jesus -- thousands of followers, miracle after miracle, raising folks from the dead -- supposedly the most important person who ever lived.
What next? Maybe Jesus didn't want anyone to know?
Now we have a case of sour grapes, because outside of myth, there is no record of one of the most dramatic events of the early Jesus era - the supposed murder of thousands of young children - prompted by Jesus' birth.
If Jesus came to save ALL of mankind, why the secrecy for so long? Why the need for so much myth?
Sorry, but you should go back to the basics. You shouldn't think for yourself and you shouldn't question. Your only job is to believe. Such is the nature of Bronze Age religions.
Ramen
You're not telling me why any historian or Jewish religious scholar who was a contemporary of Jesus would write about him at all.

The areas where Jesus lived were controlled by the Roman Empire. Jewish scholars in that area wrote about Judaism.

Neither the Roman Empire nor the Judaic hierarchy of the area had any regard for Jesus. The Romans thought him a kook or a rabble-rouser if they DID regard him at all, and they only came to know about Him as He was brought to their attention by the Jewish hierarchy, who rejected Him.

Jewish scholars don't commemorate those they regard as heretics, and Roman scribes don't commemorate local flakes who get foisted off on them by their Jewish subjects.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Judged:

<quoted text>
Part 2:
Somehow, after 2000 years of perfect teachings and guidance by god, shouldn't the RCC claim be obvious to all of mankind by now?
At some point, shouldn't the claim be backed up by reality?
Instead, a new Pope is trying to clean up a moral mess, one that is totally inconsistent with guidance by a higher power.
Don't think for yourself. Don't ask questions. Just believe and all will be fine.
Ramen
What "reality" do you want here?

The RCC does exist 2000 years after the fact. That's "reality", isn't it?

No one ever claimed that the existence of the Church would "cure" moral evil;. Christ didn't make that claim.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sola scriptura ("Bible alone")
The belief in the Bible as the sole source of faith is unhistorical, illogical, fatal to the virtue of faith, and destructive of unity.
It is unhistorical. No one denies the fact that Christ and the Apostles founded the Church by preaching and exacting faith in their doctrines. No book told as yet of the Divinity of Christ, the redeeming value of His Passion, or of His coming to judge the world; these and all similar revelations had to be believed on the word of the Apostles, who were, as their powers showed, messengers from God. And those who received their word did so solely on authority. As immediate, implicit submission of the mind was in the lifetime of the Apostles the only necessary token of faith, there was no room whatever for what is now called private judgment. This is quite clear from the words of Scripture: "Therefore, we also give thanks to God without ceasing: because, that when you had received of us the word of the hearing of God, you received it not as the word of men, but (as it is indeed) the word of God" (1 Thessalonians 2:13). The word of hearing is received through a human teacher and is believed on the authority of God, who is its first author (cf. Romans 10:17). But, if in the time of the Apostles, faith consisted in submitting to authorized teaching, it does so now; for the essence of things never changes and the foundation of the Church and of our salvation is immovable.
Again, it is illogical to base faith upon the private interpretation of a book. For faith consists in submitting; private interpretation consists in judging. In faith by hearing, the last word rests with the teacher; in private judgment it rests with the reader, who submits the dead text of Scripture to a kind of post-mortem examination and delivers a verdict without appeal: he believes in himself rather than in any higher authority. But such trust in one's own light is not faith. Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith. John Henry Newman says "I think I may assume that this virtue, which was exercised by the first Christians, is not known at all amongst Protestants now; or at least if there are instances of it, it is exercised toward those, I mean their teachers and divines, who expressly disclaim that they are objects of it, and exhort their people to judge for themselves" ("Discourses to Mixed Congregations", Faith and Private Judgment). And in proof he advances the instability of Protestant so-called faith: "They are as children tossed to and fro and carried along by every gale of doctrine. If they had faith they would not change. They look upon the simple faith of Catholics as if unworthy the dignity of human nature, as slavish and foolish". Yet upon that simple, unquestioning faith the Church was built up and is held together to this day.
Where absolute reliance on God's word, proclaimed by his accredited ambassadors, is wanting, i.e. where there is not the virtue of faith, there can be no unity of Church. It stands to reason, and Protestant history confirms it. The "unhappy divisions", not only between sect and sect but within the same sect, have become a byword. They are due to the pride of private intellect, and they can only be healed by humble submission to a Divine authority.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12495a.htm
I've read that section, and it's an outstanding treatise outlining the nature of atem's responses when confronted with what would presume to be an "authority" in protestant thought (the Rev. Dr. Williams whom I cited a couple of days back).

"Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith."

Right on.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

I suggest that if there just happens to be a creator and it loves you, you won't have to believe in it and grovel to it as though you have no backbone, because it's love will be unconditional and your beliefs will not sway its decisions one way or the other, no matter how radical are your beliefs.

If you are kind to your selves I suggest the kindness will automatically flow to others.

And if you try to be as kind to others as your situation allows, you can't do better than THAT.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What "reality" do you want here?
The RCC does exist 2000 years after the fact. That's "reality", isn't it?
No one ever claimed that the existence of the Church would "cure" moral evil;. Christ didn't make that claim.
Why do you use the word "Christ" rather than the word Jesus?

Many of you have that habit. Is that in itself NOT disrespectful???

Keep in mind that before the Catholic religion, the word Jesus (as a savior) did NOT exist.

The word Jesus itself means "savior."

The Catholics, as were all theologians were simply more manipulators of words.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Before Catholicism came on the religious scene, the Jesus-story was unknown.

Only after the Catholics came up with that story did supposed scholars study the story FROM the new testament to see if it was based on a real situation.

Ya can't get objective information from the bible ... period ... as it confirms its own story as being true.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

All History ignores Him.

The fact that Christ finds no place in the history of the era in which he lived,—that not one event of his life is recorded by anybody but his own interested and prejudiced biographers,—settles the conclusion, beyond cavil or criticism, that the godlike achievements ascribed to him are naught but fable or fiction.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

I find it absolutely mind-bending that Christians will believe that Jesus created miracles, but that the Pagan deities did not exist ... period ... mental-doors slammed shut with a sign on them that states ..."NO NEW INFORMATION ALLOWED INSIDE OUR BRAINS."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The World’s Sixteen Crucified Saviors … Christianity before Christ, by Kersey Graves … first published in 1875.

Pagan Miracles

The famous historian Pausanias states upon current authority that Esculapius raised several persons from the dead, and names Hippolytus among the number, and then points to a stone monument erected as a proof of the occurrence—thus furnishing, according to Christian logic, the most conclusive proof of one of the most astounding miracles ever wrought. And yet no philosopher or man of science in this age can credit the literal truth to that story.
Gods R Delusions x Mine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And according to the Catholics Jesus came to promote ONLY the Catholic religion.
As Michael stated ... "Religious racism!"
I suggest if a supposed savior came to earth it would be one that would not be partial to any religion whatsoever.
Of course I don't believe in saviors, as such religiosity smacks of stupidity.
Luther word that "reason should be destroyed in all Christians."

Now we know why.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Religion has a very long history, Christianity being only two-thousand years OF that history.

For Christians to discredit all other religions as fake or evil is common practice, but totally unreasonable.

I suggest to be fair we must either accept all of them as being based on truth or reject that any of them are based on truth.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

Religious behaviour is thought to have emerged by the Upper Paleolithic, before 30,000 years ago at the latest,[1] but behavioral patterns such as burial rites that one might characterize as religious - or as ancestral to religious behaviour - reach back into the Middle Paleolithic, as early as 300,000 years ago, coinciding with the first appearance of Homo neanderthalensis and Homo sapiens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_reli ...

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

<quoted text>
Luther word that "reason should be destroyed in all Christians."
Now we know why.
That was the method used by all too many theologians. "Don't ask questions of what we teach you, or "GOD" will be offended."

Humans through FEAR were and are blinded by FAITH in cults.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

If the word Jesus means "savior" and the word Jesus was morphed from the Greek word Ihcuc ... it follows that the word Ihcuc in Greek must also mean "savior."

As I don't know the language of the Greeks, I have no way of verifying that that is true ... but it at least makes sense, at least to me.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

CatholicCulture.Org

I.C.
Jesus -- first and last letters of his name in Greek, Ihcuc.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/librar ...
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read that section, and it's an outstanding treatise outlining the nature of atem's responses when confronted with what would presume to be an "authority" in protestant thought (the Rev. Dr. Williams whom I cited a couple of days back).
"Private judgment is fatal to the theological virtue of faith."
Right on.
Huh? So your hope is in somebody elses private judgement? I don't think you know where 'faith' comes from.

16For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Gal 3:23 Before the way of faith in Christ was available to us, we were placed under guard by the law. We were kept in protective custody, so to speak, until the way of faith was revealed.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Long before Christianity, the fish was a symbol of freedom from suffering.

And we are all bright enough to comprehend that without suffering there would be no need whatsoever to place faith in religious dogmas that promise salvation. NONE!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

From the book … My Grandfather’s Blessings, by Rachel Naomi Remen, M. D.

Certain practices run through all the branches of Buddhism. One of these is a practice done to celebrate enlightenment and the promise of freedom. As such times in China, Japan, Nepal, and Korea, live fish are bought at the market, taken to bodies of running water, and set free. These fish symbolize the possibility of a return to the Source and to the great freedom which is our true refuge and our home.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Romans 3:30 There is only one God, and he makes people right with himself only by faith, whether they are Jews or Gentiles.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Acts 3:16
"Through faith in the name of Jesus, this man was healed--and you know how crippled he was before. Faith in Jesus' name has healed him before your very eyes.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? So your hope is in somebody elses private judgement? I don't think you know where 'faith' comes from.
Your faith in ONLY the dogmas taught in your own cult ... comes FROM your cult.

Your cult owns your brain-cells.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Gal 3:9
…8The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

marge wrote:
Gal 3:23 Before the way of faith in Christ was available to us, we were placed under guard by the law. We were kept in protective custody, so to speak, until the way of faith was revealed.
The way of faith stemmed from religions long before Catholic theologians wrote those words in the specific literature in which you place all of YOUR faith

Because of your blind-sightedness, you can't see that you are VERY self-centered in the idea that YOUR supposed savior is REAL and other supposed saviors were and ARE false.

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2014

Note how Marge is cherry picking scriptures that reflect back to her that she is SPECIAL and WILL be saved by her faith in Jesus.

It gives her the food on which she loves to feed. "Jesus loves me, and HE does not love those other evil souls."

Pathetic!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Married in 8,121
More 8 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 8 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 9 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Mon Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Mon Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••